Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 EastCork2018

For folks who are crying fowl on the weather warnings: Friends in Cornwall have had snow drifts up to their knees and over garden walls in the past hour. Sit tight and be prepared its going to be a long night.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Evil_g

May have been posted already but George Lee also said that today is the first and only ice day ever recorded in Ireland.

What's an "ice day"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭piplip87

Virginia Snow machine is still going at full blast.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Evil_g wrote: »
    What's an "ice day"?

Temperatures stay below 0c throughout the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sabhail

Location stillorgan South Dublin
    Wind has really picked up for over an hour now very gusty whistling wind its been snowing most of the day. I'd be interested to see if any other areas have started to get some serious wind. In tesco today very little bread /eggs/meats left, shops were really packed like Christmas eve packed.

Bit gusty in Lucan.now ..fence panel down...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭dubal

D14, just popped out to the shop, its eerily quiet.

Snowing lightly, not really visible, but my footprints were gone after 5 minutes.

Dubal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

sicknotexi wrote: »
    4 cans of Guinesss, naggin of Jameson, looking at the nearest lamp post for first signs of tonight's sneachta. I've reached peak Irishness.

I'm literally sitting with few beers watching football with one curtain open looking at lampposts too ha

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

So busy deleting posts here that I nearly forgot to mention there has basically been 11 hours of snow here now in Newbridge

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

This is a snowstorm memorable event , probably for years to come , record breaking snow ,

Go Siobhan !!!! Weather now on RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭kingshankly

sicknotexi wrote: »
    4 cans of Guinesss, naggin of Jameson, looking at the nearest lamp post for first signs of tonight's sneachta. I've reached peak Irishness.

Just short a tayto sandwich

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

She said copious amounts of snow 🀪

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

So busy deleting posts here that I nearly forgot to mention there has basically been 11 hours of snow here now in Newbridge

Same here in celbridge. Non stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭eigrod

"record" and "copious amounts" on rte forecast just now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

Naas - Mini Razor blades blowing in the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Winds picked up in waterford and seems to be a fine snow

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

May have been posted already but George Lee also said that today is the first and only ice day ever recorded in Ireland.

Well that's incorrect?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 novemberbravo

What posts are you deleting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

I thought the temperature got up to 2c somewhere earlier? I think maybe Belmullet or Malin Head? If today qualifies as an ice day countrywide then wouldn't the same apply to yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

Epic weather forecast. EPIC!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

For the excellent knowledgeable posters on here. Given the direction of the storm, will the Wicklow/Dublin mountains act as a shield for the Dublin 16/Rathfarnham area?

I doubt it, Im pretty sure they'd factor that into the forecast when they predicated a metre of snow for south dublin, well I sure hope so. Had enough misery from the isle of man shadow !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Coopaloop wrote: »
    Same here in celbridge. Non stop.

What depth of snow?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

She hasn’t said relentless yet

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

My Dew point is falling again, thank god!!!

Tem -1
    Humidity 91%
    Dew point -2
    Pressure 995 Mar
    Visibility 0%
    Wind 43 km/h Strong east.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,628 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

This is a snowstorm memorable event , probably for years to come , record breaking snow ,

Go Siobhan !!!! Weather now on RTE

For where in the country did she say it was going to worst at bar the east coast ? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

It’s definitely snow in Blanch. Very fine snow and snow being whipped up from the ground and thrown around. It’s very cool looking!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Siobhan Ryan not mincing her words, and it seems Met Eireann have given this a huge upgrade. If there was an alert above Red, she'd have called it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Siobhan pulled no punches there!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Freezing Rain

Could be a large part of the reason for the extended Red warning as it it will make driving even more treacherous.

Also will cause downed line and power cuts which the snow might not have.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,522 ✭✭✭Speak Now

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Well that's incorrect?

Wonder did he mean March?

Plus what's the criteria? How many stations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭policy75

not a puff of wind or snow in the midlands at the moment. any update on emmas arrival?

Advertisement