Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow and frozen temperatures on the way - as if we had enough traffic chaos already!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,202 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Looks like luas running to all stops as per there twitter with reduced frequency

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

thomasj wrote: »
    Sorry to come back to this, just want to clarify that Thursdays red alert warning came into effect at 4AM

I thought it very strange , I got a message from work saying not to come into work as the red alert had kicked in and when I went to the met eireann website it was indeed in effect since 4am Thursday morning
    Not strange at all.
    As someone who travelled on the train from the west to Dublin on Wednesday, I feel lucky that I got home Wednesday night.
    There was already a lot of snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,290 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Sorry to come back to this, just want to clarify that Thursdays red alert warning came into effect at 4AM

Actually, this notes there was one issued at 5am Wednesday covering 5am Wednesday until noon Thursday.
    https://www.longfordleader.ie/news/home/299616/breaking-met-eireann-upgrades-weather-warning-status-for-longford-to-orange.html

So there were multiple red alerts, I intended to refer to the "be indoors by 4pm" one which was of a higher order again...
    Speaking at a news conference with the National Emergency Coordination Group this evening, Mr Varadkar said we are facing extremely hazardous conditions with exceptional blizzards likely. He warned people to be safe at home by 4pm on Thursday.
    https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/irish-weather-taoiseach-leo-varadkar-12107609

This advice was only given for the period from 4pm Thursday, it did not cover the full period of red alerts.

There were red alerts on Wednesday and Thursday for Dublin and Leinster. Dublin Bus operated a restricted service on the Wednesday, so it's not or at least was not the case that Met Eireann red alert necessarily means no Dublin Bus service. On Saturday, the red alert ran until 9am, and restricted services were back from noon... so maybe now it is the policy, no bus service during red alert.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,248 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Dublin Bus intelligence should have warned the Guards then, if they had such certain foreknowledge that all this activity was going to kick off. Maybe they could have deliberately abandoned a bus, packed with security personnel, kinda like a reverse Trojan Horse. On the other hand, their intelligence should have told them 90% of Dublin was grand.

so Dublin Bus should have tested things by leaving buses sitting out all night with a single driver in it and when what 20 buses have been burned out and 5 drivers in hospital or worse from knife attacks, they should pass that intelligence on to the Gardai?

That is not how things work. Reasonable risks are assessed and reasonable precautions are taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭thomasj

https://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/968987011922132994?s=09

Sorry got the time wrong. The red warning was in effect on Wednesday night until Friday afternoon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭markpb

gmisk wrote: »
    Looks like luas running to all stops as per there twitter with reduced frequency

They said this morning that frequency would be reduced to 10-15 minutes on the Green line south of Sandyford. Would it be churlish to point out that this reduction in service came into affect 3 months ago?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Platform surface in Maynooth has taken a beating from the freezing - going to be some unexpected repair costs around the network

Will be interesting to see how it goes with the expected snowfall over the long Paddy's Day weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Orange warning for snow from around 3 on Sunday morning. I can't remember who much snow but drifting was mentioned. I can't see traffic being disrupted this time. Best stock up on the bread and beer and post armed guards on lidls just to be on the safe side :)

Hilly Bill wrote:
    Orange warning for snow from around 3 on Sunday morning. I can't remember who much snow but drifting was mentioned. I can't see traffic being disrupted this time. Best stock up on the bread and bear and post armed guards on lidls just to be on the safe side

What about the works for the weekend hilly bill? Any chance of impact on these?

• Advertisement

Best stock up on the bread and bear and post armed guards on lidls just to be on the safe side

Haha Brennan's must be loving this

What about the works for the weekend hilly bill? Any chance of impact on these?

Nope,

Haha Brennan's must be loving this

Thought that was Ronald Mcdonald :)

DART services suspended between Lansdowne road and dun laoghaire due to flooding on the line .

https://twitter.com/IrishRail/status/974978653649100801?s=09

Could be disruption to DARTs for hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Must have been a high tide hitting the line

Stephen15 wrote:
    Must have been a high tide hitting the line

It is , and they're saying could take a few hours for it to recede.

Back open darts running through affected area at reduced speed

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    NIR do the borrowing from IE.

Nothing like the large ones in the UK, its literally goes on front of a loco but only usable for probally a quarter of the snow we got. That is assuming they still have it.

They are looking to buy one.

It's a bit more snowy than i expected :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Sick of it already.

No DART services south of Lansdowne road ATM due to flooding.

Preventative measures should have been put in place years ago to prevent disruptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Preventative measures should have been put in place years ago to prevent disruptions.

And if we put those preventative measures in place years ago, you’d be the first to cry that the government is wasting tax payers money on something that is used so rarely.

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    And if we put those preventative measures in place years ago, you’d be the first to cry that the government is wasting tax payers money on something that is used so rarely.

You clearly don't know me.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭traveller0101

Useless complaining after the fact

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭markpb

Will there never be flooding along the coast again?

Hilly Bill wrote:
    You clearly don't know me.

I thought your avatar might be a giveaway......

You can't complain about something before it happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Hilly Bill wrote: »

The rail line between Merrion and Salthill was raised by a half metre during the electrification project in the early 1980s.

Flooding was a frequent occurrence before that, but very rare since then.

It is only this winter that we have had two episodes due to strong easterly and northeasterly winds.

Advertisement