Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow and frozen temperatures on the way - as if we had enough traffic chaos already!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

thomasj wrote: »
    Better to not take chances.

You said Britain were fairing better but 4 people have died over there.

Not to mention the over hundred drivers stranded in Scotland on the road overnight for nearly 12 hours.

You're talking about a country with 65 million compared to country of 4 million so obviously there's a far higher chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭bebeman

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Stop being so melodramatic. I somehow doubt that would happen.

What do you think happens when a DB bus breaks down?
    Im not being smart, just want to know what a member of the public thinks is the procedure.

bebeman wrote: »
    What do you think happens when a DB bus breaks down?
    Im not being smart, just want to know what a member of the public thinks is the procedure.

Driver radios the depot. Depots sends out a mechanic in a replacement bus or a tow truck.

What if a fire engine breaks down or an ambulance or even a gritter. Would the crews be stranded for the night. I'm sure some sort of contingency could be made whether that means the bus gets abandoned with for the night or maintence is sent out I'm sure something arranged.

I doubt DB would leave a driver stranded. That situation could have happened yesterday or in 2011.

Driver radios the depot. Depots sends out a mechanic in a replacement bus or a tow truck.

What if a fire engine breaks down or an ambulance or even a gritter. Would the crews be stranded for the night. I'm sure some sort of contingency could be made whether that means the bus gets abandoned with for the night or maintence is sent out I'm sure something arranged.

I doubt DB would leave a driver stranded. That situation could have happened yesterday or in 2011.

So the bus is grounded because it cant move because of snow.
    The driver calls control, control then call the depot who send out maintenance in a bus to relieve the driver.

See the problem?
    If the bus in service is grounded because of snow how the hell can a bus with maintenance make its way out to it in the same conditions?

Fact of the day.
    A DB driver cant abandon a broken down bus without the permission of control.
    They must stay with the vehicle until relieved.

So the choice is driver stays with the bus until relieved, how long will that take in a government weather RED ALERT, or abandon the bus and hope vandals dont get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

bebeman

All you are doing is creating "excuses". Yes there would have been a justification for a major reduction in buses but a total cancellation pre 13.00 is not justifiable.

• Advertisement

Fact of the day.

So the choice is driver stays with the bus until relieved, how long will that take in a government weather RED ALERT, or abandon the bus and hope vandals dont get it.

Fair enough I get that but I'm sure they'd allow it in special circumstances. If DB as they say have drivers and passengers best interests at heart then I'm sure they'd allow the drivers abandon or are they that awful an employer.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    bebeman

All you are doing is creating "excuses". Yes there would have been a justification for a major reduction in buses but a total cancellation pre 13.00 is not justifiable.

Me me me me me me me me me me!
    How do drivers get to work?
    If you where too thick to take heed of the government RED ALERT for weather and make preparations, why should others take risks for you?

Fact of the day 2
    Public transport staff are among the first on the road in the morning, pure virgin snow on roads they must drive on to get to work. In other words extremely DANGEROUS road conditions.

Fair enough I get that but I'm sure they'd allow it in special circumstances. If DB as they say have drivers and passengers best interests at heart then I'm sure they'd allow the drivers abandon or are they that awful an employer.

Imagine the outrage here from posters when a €300k DB bus goes up in flames because vandals in one of Dublin's "lively" areas puts a match to a abandoned bus?

Now that you and other posters now know this do you think it was the correct decision to not run buses in the government RED ALERT weather warning?

Me me me me me me me me me me!
    How do drivers get to work?
    If you where too thick to take heed of the government RED ALERT for weather and make preparations, why should others take risks for you?

Fact of the day 2
    Public transport staff are among the first on the road in the morning, pure virgin snow on roads they must drive on to get to work. In other words extremely DANGEROUS road conditions.

Red Alert didn't' COMMENCE until 16.00.

I accept some staff could not make it but other could and many people had no option but to make it to work. Its not at all about me, me, me, in fact I don't use DB regularly and wouldn't have today either however I still believe a very limited service was more than possible and safe.

Irish Rail transport workers were able to make it to work and some of those would live in rural areas...

Other bus services operated including city to city service but CIE didn't bother operating anything which raises two issues were private operators operating in unsafe conditions or were CIE not bothered to plan even for limited service....

Aircoach etc all had services and will resume tomorrow evening (weather dependent) yet the BE/DB won't bother until Saturday.

Imagine the outrage here from posters when a €300k DB bus goes up in flames because vandals in one of Dublin's "lively" areas puts a match to a abandoned bus?

Now that you and other posters now know this do you think it was the correct decision to not run buses in the government RED ALERT weather warning?

Again you're blowing things out of proportion we're experiencing snow not civil unrest. I've yet to hear of DB bus being torched in one of the rougher areas.

And my second point I never suggested running buses in a red warning. I suggested running up until a few hours before the red warning was in operation.

• Advertisement

I accept some staff could not make it but other could and many people had no option but to make it to work. Its not at all about me, me, me, in fact I don't use DB regularly and wouldn't have today either however I still believe a very limited service was more than possible and safe.

So you dont use DB regularly, so judging by the discussion the last few days here, you want people to go to work to continue to pay taxes to pay for the FTP?
    Other than that why would you car if DB ran or not?

t. I've yet to hear of DB bus being torched in one of the rougher areas.

Thats because DB policy is that a bus cant be abandoned!!!!!

Thats because DB policy is that a bus cant be abandoned!!!!!

They are everyday at termini across the city while drivers have gone to the shop or for a piss.

And my second point I never suggested running buses in a red warning. I suggested running up until a few hours before the red warning was in operation.

Have you any idea what the conditions are like outside of Dublin?
    Any consideration on how they get too and from work?
    The simple fact is many workers who are from Dubln, born and bred, who work for DB have had to move outside of Dublin to buy a house.
    Those who are in the work force know this, those living in Dublin with mammy and daddy or on social welfare housing dont think about this.

They are everyday at termini across the city while drivers have gone to the shop or for a piss.

Piss 5 minutes, while people are waiting to get on the bus, or over night in a lively area.
    I wonder if there is a difference?

Have you any idea what the conditions are like outside of Dublin?
    Any consideration on how they get too and from work?
    The simple fact is many workers who are from Dubln, born and bred, who work for DB have had to move outside of Dublin to buy a house.
    Those who are in the work force know this, those living in Dublin with mammy and daddy or on social welfare housing dont think about this.

Yes I agree that's not right. DB drivers serve Dublin so they should have Dublin based accomadation. I have nothing against DB drivers or any transport workers for that matter in fact I'm with you in most scenarios but if your IE, private bus and Luas colleagues can work earlier today I don't see why DB drivers can't too.

Yes I agree that's not right. DB drivers serve Dublin so they should have Dublin based accomadation. I have nothing against DB drivers or any transport workers for that matter in fact I'm with you in most scenarios but if your IE, private bus and Luas colleagues can work earlier today I don't see why DB drivers can't too.

IE & LUAS on tracks.
    They run into anything they not to blame.
    See the problem?
    Private operators not running either in Dublin.
    Seems to be posters just like to bitch about DB if it is justified or not.

Piss 5 minutes, while people are waiting to get on the bus, or over night in a lively area.
    I wonder if there is a difference?

But yet people park their cars in these lively areas and most remain unscaped. I know your use the big vehicle bigger target excuse but I know a guy who parks his Scania up every night outside his house in one of these 'lively' areas and it hasn't been touched.

Also I heard a story not sure whether it's true or not you may be able to confirm or deny that a 7 once got stolen from outside the Lough Inn when the driver went in for a piss one night.

But yet people park their cars in these lively areas and most remain unscaped. I know your use the big vehicle bigger target excuse but I know a guy who parks his Scania up every night outside his house in one of these 'lively' areas and it hasn't been touched.

Also I heard a story not sure whether it's true or not you may be able to confirm or deny that a 7 once got stolen from outside the Lough Inn when the driver went in for a piss one night.

https://www.herald.ie/news/exbus-driver-held-after-taking-city-bus-for-joyride-on-old-route-27996191.html
    https://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-bus-stolen-from-city-centre-306858-Dec2011/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

bebeman

Drivers were constantly on the radio through Wednesday to advise of issues which would have seen segments of the routes abandoned. I know my da did it at least twice. It comes to a point where they are cutting so much they won't be providing any service for the most part and comutters would be unsure if they'd be able use whatever is left running. Better off just shutting it all down and set an expectation of when that'll happen.

• Advertisement

IE & LUAS on tracks.
    They run into anything they not to blame.
    See the problem?
    Private operators not running either in Dublin.
    Seems to be posters just like to bitch about DB if it is justified or not.

And how do you think they're workers get to work? They're in the same boat as you as they have to drive to work to at 3 or 4am. So you think if a train or tram derails the driver is not to blame.

Also Aircoach was running until 2pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

Red alert became nationwide on Wednesday night (around 10-11pm) with immediate effect.

Drivers were constantly on the radio through Wednesday to advise of issues which would have seen segments of the routes abandoned. I know my da did it at least twice. It comes to a point where they are cutting so much they won't be providing any service for the most part and comutters would be unsure if they'd be able use whatever is left running. Better off just shutting it all down and set an expectation of when that'll happen.

Fair enough and yes I accept this, my main point was the blanket suspension method is used way to easy.
    Dont know and dont care, just like you and others dont know or care about DB drivers!
    Government RED ALERT warning, stay indoors!
    If your too thick to take heed tough shít, if boss is prick and demand you go to work join a UNION!

Part of the CIE union bubble then, would never of guessed!
    Red alert became nationwide on Wednesday night (around 10-11pm) with immediate effect.

Yes, not effective until 16.00 Thursday...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

Fair enough and yes I accept this, my main point was the blanket suspension method is used way to easy.
    Dont know and dont care, just like you and others dont know or care about DB drivers!
    Government RED ALERT warning, stay indoors!
    If your too thick to take heed tough shít, if boss is prick and demand you go to work join a UNION!

Part of the CIE union bubble then, would never of guessed!

Yes, not effective until 16.00 Thursday...
    No it came into immediate effect

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

thomasj wrote: »
    No it came into immediate effect

I may be wrong, & You maybe right, but I was under the impression that it was only at 16h00 yesterday that the alert kicked in.

Certainly no one able to leave the Estate I am in this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Stephen,I'm uncertain as to what your issues,or motives may be regarding Bus Atha Cliath's operating decisions during the current conditions.

If you are suggesting that Bus Atha Cliath staff are unwilling to operate services in these conditions,then you are simply incorrect.

However,me posting to that effect here is unlikely to change your mindset,but that is your perogative.

That being said,Bus Atha Cliath operated services up to 1900 on Wed night,with most routes having had a service all day up until then.

As somebody who WAS driving on Wednesday,I can only outline to you that the Garages were operational and that every Bus that entered service had a Driver behind the wheel. ;)

The comparisons you make regarding Parked Scanias and the like are all well and good,however as many will attest to,the Public Services tend to be judged to a different metric...as can be proven by the attitudes displayed towards Fire & Ambulance personnel...flinging a hard snowball with destructive intent at a passing Bus is not at all comparable to leaving your neighbours Scania alone (Particularly as the owner might come out and beat the bullocks outa you for doing it !)

If you still feel aggrieved about the service provision on the days,then the Companies,the NTA and even the relevant Government Departments are readily accessible for complaints and observations,but perhaps think of laying off the front-line staff for a bit ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Stephen,I'm uncertain as to what your issues,or motives may be regarding Bus Atha Cliath's operating decisions during the current conditions.

If you are suggesting that Bus Atha Cliath staff are unwilling to operate services in these conditions,then you are simply incorrect.

However,me posting to that effect here is unlikely to change your mindset,but that is your perogative.

That being said,Bus Atha Cliath operated services up to 1900 on Wed night,with most routes having had a service all day up until then.

As somebody who WAS driving on Wednesday,I can only outline to you that the Garages were operational and that every Bus that entered service had a Driver behind the wheel. ;)

The comparisons you make regarding Parked Scanias and the like are all well and good,however as many will attest to,the Public Services tend to be judged to a different metric...as can be proven by the attitudes displayed towards Fire & Ambulance personnel...flinging a hard snowball with destructive intent at a passing Bus is not at all comparable to leaving your neighbours Scania alone (Particularly as the owner might come out and beat the bullocks outa you for doing it !)

If you still feel aggrieved about the service provision on the days,then the Companies,the NTA and even the relevant Government Departments are readily accessible for complaints and observations,but perhaps think of laying off the front-line staff for a bit ?

I don't have a problem. I just think that it was possible to run limited services until about 1 or 2pm yesterday just like the Luas and IE, obivously it would be impossible today or later on yesterday.

I may be wrong, & You maybe right, but I was under the impression that it was only at 16h00 yesterday that the alert kicked in.

Certainly no one able to leave the Estate I am in this morning.

There is also a degree of confusion surrounding the Met Office's Alerts,which are purely advisory,and the subsequent Travel Advisories from the Government via the National Emergency Co-Ordination Group.

CIE participates in the meetings of the Emergency Planning Committee,and in situations such as currently exists,takes the Committee's guidance on board when making decisions regarding operations.

Right now,it is not just a case of ringing up the Met Office and using their alerts as the sole decision making criteria.

Any company with several thousand widely dispersed employees,most of whom will be operating away from a fixed base,and who also have an increased responsibility to the general public who may decide to attempt to use the services in these dangerous conditions,HAS to undertake a stringent Risk Analysis before making a call on the issue.

I am suggesting that this Risk Analysis process is exactly what preceeded the CIE decisions,and that it was a somewhat broader and more intense process than some Trade Union Official sitting atop Liberty Hall making "OK Lads,All Out" style telephone calls.

Given that Ireland is not (yet) a Police State,or centralized Command Style society,the right of any Private Company or Citizen to ignore the various Warnings and Advisories is fully recognized,with those that do so,being fully aware of the potential for having that decision reviewed and interpreted in a different forum,should any incidents occur.

A Transport Undertaking with 10 Trucks or Coaches operating on National Primary routes,may have a substantially different set of parameters to an undertaking with several thousand such vehicles and appropriate staff to consider ?

Assess the risk,make the decision.....In the current situation,I believe the correct decisions were taken,but that does not mean that Ireland cannot review the entire procedure to learn from it and substantially improve our National Emergency Strategy. :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

I don't have a problem. I just think that it was possible to run limited services until about 1 or 2pm yesterday just like the Luas and IE, obivously it would be impossible today or later on yesterday.

Thats good.

However it has to be accepted that this is Your opinion,a stance you take based upon what your personal assessment of a VERY dynamic and totally uncontrollable situation.

The fact remains that those who took the decision,were/are in possession of a far broader scope of information and statistics,across an equally broader spectrum.

One of the joys of the Internet,is the ease with which we can all rush to second-guess those who have to make these decisions.

However,this ease,also increases the chance that WE can get it wrong too,but when that occurs,nobody gets injured or perhaps killed.

These elements may seem far flung to yourself or others,but when assessing the potential for destruction or injury,which several hundred 12 Tonne + vehicles,with human passengers onboard, operating in a variety of unsafe and unpredictable conditions,then such obvious Risk MUST be considered the Primary consideration.

As has already been pointed out,that level of general risk is mitigated somewhat,on those Public Transport modes which have control of their Permanent Way,which is why they were operational for a slightly longer period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

I think there needs to be something between all buses and no buses. It should be possible to have a nitelink type service on key corridors e.g. Blanch, Stillorgan and the city authorities should make special efforts to keep those clear.

It isn't at all clear to me why Luas could not have operated for another 6 hours yesterday.

Advertisement