Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow and frozen temperatures on the way - as if we had enough traffic chaos already!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    They defiantly have at least one plow in Inchicore. Contractors would of been needed as well.

Two posts ago you said that they should have one. Do you know or are you guessing?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,682 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Two posts ago you said that they should have one. Do you know or are you guessing?

I am almost certain they have at least one snow plow, I know they had one in the past so unless they got rid it, which I think is unlikely but wouldn't be the first stupid decision for IE to make regardless of the infrequency of snow.

Usually anything thats not in constant use is sold/scrapped/ripped up by IE...

Surly you can check and clarify?
    Maybe it simply doesnt work though. Problem is these kinds of weather events are very infrequent here.

I agree, probally not suitable in many area's because of the volume of snow and it's not a massive one from what I recall.

I am almost certain they have at least one snow plow, I know they had one in the past so unless they got rid it, which I think is unlikely but wouldn't be the first stupid decision for IE to make regardless of the infrequency of snow.

Usually anything thats not in constant use is sold/scrapped/ripped up by IE...

Surly you can check and clarify?

In other words, you don't actually know if they do or not :)

In other words, you don't actually know if they do or not :)

No, I don't visit Inchicore to check what assets IE buy/dispose on a regular basis but they had one recently. Anyway does it matter, not as if it would of been a massive help in the current conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭bebeman

Stephen15 wrote: »
    But yet people park their cars in these lively areas and most remain unscaped. I know your use the big vehicle bigger target excuse but I know a guy who parks his Scania up every night outside his house in one of these 'lively' areas and it hasn't been touched..

Lidl and centra vandalised,cars burnt out, all in a certain lively area, looks like DB got it right not taking the risk of buses being abandoned overnight because bad roads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

bebeman wrote: »
    Lidl and centra vandalised,cars burnt out, all in a certain lively area, looks like DB got it right not taking the risk of buses being abandoned overnight because bad roads.

Lucky none of the depots are located in lively areas

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭ITV2

And individuals involved not even from the area. Glad I don't drive the 27 bus anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭bebeman

ITV2 wrote: »
    And individuals involved not even from the area. Glad I don't drive the 27 bus anymore.

From some of the videos it looks like the the area has been culturally enriched

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

Luas news:

Red line : point - red cow from first tram tomorrow

Green line : expected to resume later in the morning tomorrow

ITV2 wrote: »

I'm glad you don't either :D:pac:

• Advertisement

All trains expected to run tommorrow except M3 Parkway, Rosslare and Limerick to Ballybrophy

Well I'm sure a JCB would do equivalent damage to a DB deport or a bus on a road if those took such an opportunity so from a risk prospective it was an extremely low risk. Anyway Tallaght would not be an area where I would prioritise a bus operation during such weather....
    From some of the videos it looks like the the area has been culturally enriched

One of few things we agree on!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,473 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Dublin Bus intelligence should have warned the Guards then, if they had such certain foreknowledge that all this activity was going to kick off. Maybe they could have deliberately abandoned a bus, packed with security personnel, kinda like a reverse Trojan Horse. On the other hand, their intelligence should have told them 90% of Dublin was grand.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Jamie2k9 wrote:
    Anyway Tallaght would not be an area where I would prioritise a bus operation during such weather....
    There doesn't seem to be anything running out that way atm.

Luas and dB are both curtailing their services miles away.

thomasj wrote: »
    There doesn't seem to be anything running out that way atm.

Luas and dB are both curtailing their services miles away.

Luas going as far The Red Cow and most DB routes that usually go to Tallaght going as far as Walkinstown Roundabout or not running at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭Vic_08

A couple of typically ignorant smart arse comments for these forums.

DB have had decades of issues in that area with a constant merry-go-round of service curtailments due to vandalism and attacks. The Guards, local representatives, "community leaders" and no doubt a plethora of state agencies tasked to mollycoddle the various elements involved have been constantly made aware of the goings-on in these areas to seemingly no avail.

The chance of an obviously abandoned bus remaining unmolested in many suburban areas of the city would have been very low. There have been a number of incidents of vehicles being damaged in various locations both in public and in private compounds including CIE/DB/BE and private operator garages.

The usual sneery comments here were made when the policy of not leaving buses unattended in these situations was stated and now that the exact activity that precipitated this policy has happened the same know-alls are back to throw crap at the topic rather than admit they were wrong.

Standard internet experts whose brilliance in knowing how to do everybody else's job make them incapable of the ability to believe that they may not be correct.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Dublin Bus intelligence should have warned the Guards then, if they had such certain foreknowledge that all this activity was going to kick off. Maybe they could have deliberately abandoned a bus, packed with security personnel, kinda like a reverse Trojan Horse. On the other hand, their intelligence should have told them 90% of Dublin was grand.

But surely the Gardai should have known where the trouble spots are, more so than DB

• Registered Users Posts: 32,285 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Do you folks think luas will be running to saggart (from black horse) by Monday?

gmisk wrote: »
    Do you folks think luas will be running to saggart (from black horse) by Monday?

By Monday perhaps. Tallaght seems to have got it very badly I suspect there may be a bus service tommorrow to Tallaght but only as far as the Square.

Latest DB update

Edit: Updated 12.50
    Routes Diversion
    1 Operating normal route.
    4 Operating normal route.
    7/a Operating normal route.
    9 Operating from Charlestown Shopping Centre to Walkinstown Roundabout.
    11 Operating normal route.
    13 Operating normal route, unable to service Bawnogue.
    14 Operating normal route.
    15 Operating from Clongriffin to Spawell Roundabout.
    15a Operating from Ringsend Garage to Rossmore Roundabout.
    15b Operating from Ringsend Garage to Terenure Cross, then right at the Yellow House and terminating at Ballyboden Way.
    16 Operating normal route.
    17 Operating via Sundrive Road.
    17a Operating normal route.
    18 Operating normal route to Cherry Orchard Hospital.
    25 Normal route to Spa Hotel. Not serving Dodsboro
    25a Operating from Merrion Sq to Supervalu Newcastle Rd., not serving Foxbourogh
    25b Operating from Merrion Sq. to Supervalu on Newcastle Rd., not serving Adamstown.
    27 Operating from Clare Hall to Walkinstown Roundabout.
    27a Operating normal route but unable to serve McAuley Road.
    27b Operating normal route.
    29a Operating normal route.
    31/a Operating normal route.
    32 Operating normal route.
    33 Operating normal route.
    33a Operating normal route.
    33b Operating normal route but unable to serve Portrane Hospital.
    37 Operating normal route.
    38/a Operating normal route.
    39/a Operating normal route to bus stop outside UCD.
    40 Operating from Finglas via Tolka Valley Rd ( not serving St.Helena's ) to Liffey Valley Shoppping Centre
    40b Operating from Parnell St. to St. Margaret's, not serving Toberburr.
    40d Operating normal route.
    41 Operating normal route.
    41c Operating normal route.
    42 Operating normal route.
    43 Operating normal route.
    44 Operating to Enniskerry via Ballyogan Rd. and Glenamuck Rd.
    45a Operating Normal Route via Sallyn0ggin Rd.
    46a Operating normal route.
    47 Normal route to Ballyogan Rd.
    53 Operating normal route.
    54a Operating on Wellington Road to Spa Rd Roundabout
    56a Operating from Ringsend Garage to Walkinstown Roundabout.
    59 Operating normal route.
    61 Operating normal route to Ballyboden Rd. Not serving Whitechruch.
    63 Operating normal route, not serving Ballyogan,
    65 Normal route to Blessington via Tallaght Bypass.
    65b Operating from Poolbeg St. to Citywest via Tallaght Bypass.
    66 Operating normal route.
    66a Operating normal route terminating at Louisa Bridge.
    66b Operating normal route.
    67 Operating from Merrion Sq. to Salesian College
    68 Operating normal routet to Nangor Rd., Terminating at Peamount Rd Stop 3412.
    69 Operating normal route to Clondalkin via New Rd, Greenisle hotel and terminating at Camac Valley.
    70 Operating normal route.
    75 Normal route from Dun Laoghaire to Tallaght Hospital.
    76 Operating normal route to Belgard Rd. Unable to service Tallaght Sqaure.
    77a Ringsend Rd to Walkinstown Roundabout.
    79/a Operating from Aston Quay to Liffey Valley via Coldcut Rd. Unable to serve Spiddal Pk.
    83 Operating from Charlestown Shopping Centre to Cashel Road.
    84 Operating normal route.
    102 Operating normal route.
    120 Operating from the Halfway House to Parnell St., via Nephin Rd.
    122 Operating from the Halfway House to Drimnagh, unable serve Ashington.
    123 Operating from Marino via Philipsburgh Ave. to Walkinstown Roundabout.
    130 Operating normal route.
    140 Operating from Charlestown Shopping Centre to Kelly's Corner.
    145 Operating Normal Route.
    150 Operating from Hawkins Street to Rossmore, unable to service Adree St.
    151 Operating normal route.
    184 Operating from Bray Rail Station to Newtownmountkennedy not serving Kilpedder and Willow Grove.
    185 Operating normal route to Enniskerry.
    220 Operating normal route via Tolka Valley Rd ( not serving St. Helena's Rd )
    238 Operating normal route.
    270 Operating normal route.
    747 Operating on normal route.
    757 Operating on normal route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

They defiantly have at least one plow in Inchicore. Contractors would of been needed as well.

I see snow ploughs across Britain especially Scotland and North of England.

In half a century of rail enthusiasm, I have never seen such a plough in Ireland.

If IR have a plough, it is not anything like the ones in Britain. Perhaps a contractor has a blade fitted to a road/rail machine

Would NIR have one maybe they might give IE a lend of it if they have one. Snow seems to be a little mor common up North.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Would NIR have one maybe they might give IE a lend of it if they have one. Snow seems to be a little mor common up North.

With just over 200 miles of railway, NIR needs it even less.

Most of NIR's routes are near sea level, that is why the rail route from Belfast to Derry is more than 20 miles longer than the road.

The Glenshane Pass on the A6 road is what makes us think of Northern reland as a highland region.

NIR do the borrowing from IE.
    I see snow ploughs across Britain especially Scotland and North of England.

In half a century of rail enthusiasm, I have never seen such a plough in Ireland.

If IR have a plough, it is not anything like the ones in Britain. Perhaps a contractor has a blade fitted to a road/rail machine

Nothing like the large ones in the UK, its literally goes on front of a loco but only usable for probally a quarter of the snow we got. That is assuming they still have it.

DB RTPI expected back tommorrow

DB RTPI expected back tommorrow
    They also said they expect to operate a full service...so fingers crossed

Luas travel updated now saying belgard to tallaght will run tomorrow...saggart will be check in the morning...looks like bus for me...if it's running...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,473 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The Journal article on 'The Orange Army' keeping Irish rail going in these conditions...
    http://www.thejournal.ie/irish-rail-storm-emma-3882779-Mar2018/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

DB to run a Luas replacement service between Saggart and Belgard every 12 mins tommorrow.

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote:
    The severe warning kicked in at 4pm, and from what I can gather 4pm was the absolute earliest expected arrival time ... the worst isn't expected until later in Dublin.
    odyssey06 wrote:
    If it's that severe the government should have told business and shops to shut all day. They didn't. They were very clear it was from 4pm. So there were lots of business and shops open this morning. I get what you're saying, conditions weren't ideal, maybe not 100% safe but people would have been safer on Dublin Bus than left to their own devices, of that I have no doubt.

Sorry to come back to this, just want to clarify that Thursdays red alert warning came into effect at 4AM

I thought it very strange , I got a message from work saying not to come into work as the red alert had kicked in and when I went to the met eireann website it was indeed in effect since 4am Thursday morning

Advertisement