Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow and frozen temperatures on the way - as if we had enough traffic chaos already!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

It'll be dangerous enough for people cycling in the bus lanes, without eejit motorists tailgaiting them :D

The Garda Facebook page showed a photo of a man cycling along a motorway yesterday. Of all days to do it:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭markpb

The Garda Facebook page showed a photo of a man cycling along a motorway yesterday. Of all days to do it:eek:

That "motorway" turned out to be the very much not a motorway R147.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Just a heads up but there will be no rail services at all tomorrow. Official Update will come through shortly but its definite now.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭ITV2

any word on the Buses ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

Doubtful.

red alert is up until 3pm tomorrow and they have to arrange getting staff and buses organised.

There's no guarantee either that weather conditions or conditions on ground will be better come the time the red alert is finished.

• Advertisement

ITV2 wrote: »
    any word on the Buses ?

Just been announced on rte , no Dublin bus services tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

London seems to be getting the same weather but yet the buses there are running just some tube lines and overground lines out of action.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Stephen15 wrote: »
    London seems to be getting the same weather but yet the buses there are running just some tube lines and overground lines out of action.

The conditions are no worse today than yesterday, at least until lunchtime. The buses could run yesterday on main corridors, dunno why they couldn't run some sort of service until 1-2pm, leaving time for staff to get home before the 4pm alert.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I agree a particularly poor performance from Luas and DB, nobody is expecting a perfect service but a tram half hourly is a joke while DB could have ran core service on limited routes.
    The conditions are no worse today than yesterday, at least until lunchtime. The buses could run yesterday on main corridors, dunno why they couldn't run some sort of service until 1-2pm, leaving time for staff to get home before the 4pm alert.

Its typical of DB, they will make an excuses about getting buses back to deports and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Just driven down from Dublin to Newbridge via J10 on the M7. Fair play to the gritters M50/ & N/M 7 were well gritted. The old Cork Road from Bundle of Sticks was a bit iffy, but passable.

However, the number of vehicles of all descriptions ( well, not coaches as I only saw one heading to Ennis & His lights were on ) with NO dippedlights on was shocking. FFS, think of others if you don't give a crap about yourself and SWITCH ON Your DIPPED lights!!!

Also, I noticed on many occasions that later car models have side lights automatically come on when the car is started. May I remind You that you still have no tail lights.

Anyone still on the road or about to, hope You get home safely. Snow falling here in Newbridge all afternoon - no wind yet though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,219 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

odyssey06 wrote: »

I personally disagree. If you can't be there to take people home, I don't think a service to get people out to work is helpful.

Infini wrote: »
    Just a heads up but there will be no rail services at all tomorrow. Official Update will come through shortly but its definite now.

Will empty train runs take place to ensure lines are cleared tomorrow evening to get a god service on Saturday?

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I personally disagree. If you can't be there to take people home, I don't think a service to get people out to work is helpful.

You could get them in for a half a day and then home ... half a day's work is better than none.
    And some people still had to get into work until lunchtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

You could get them in for a half a day and then home ... half a day's work is better than none.
    And some people still had to get into work until lunchtime.

as there is always a chance of the storm hitting earlier, meaning the possibility of not being able to operate services to get people home early, it's safer to just not run and for people to stay at home.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Will empty train runs take place to ensure lines are cleared tomorrow evening to get a god service on Saturday?

Dunno to be honest they wouldnt inform people in traffic of that to be fair. Only got the word that there was going to be no trains running from up the chain shortly before they announced it. I honestly dont know what will happen for saturday myself but they got pictures on twitter of the rail line underwater at salthill (messed what little trains were running up entirely today).

Looking at the weather myself if the snow is real bad (its showing CONSTANT snow between now and 3pm tomorrow on the reports) I would say even trains running on Saturday is 50/50 at best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭bebeman

I agree a particularly poor performance from Luas and DB, nobody is expecting a perfect service but a tram half hourly is a joke while DB could have ran core service on limited routes.

Its typical of DB, they will make an excuses about getting buses back to deports and so on.

Do you think staff live in the depot?
    How do they get into and home from work?
    You dont care as long as you get to go to the shops.

bebeman wrote: »

How did they home last night at 7pm?
    How did they get into work at 7am yesterday?

It's not that I don't care, but it's that they are able to take care of themselves.

Does Dublin Bus not care about the people who still had to get about Thursday morning?

How are emergency services personnel getting to/from work, how are Irish Rail staff getting to/from work, how did the thousands of passengers get to/from Dublin Airport today?

Nobody is asking for full service but there was no justification for not operating a single bus route at all, just typical poor performance something we have become used to in Ireland. A limited service should have operated in Dublin today apart from poor management and no regard for people.

Nobody is asking for every route to even operate, major routes like the 747, 46. 145. 16 should of had a service up until 13-14.00.

It's not that I don't care, but it's that they are able to take care of themselves.

Does Dublin Bus not care about the people who still had to get about Thursday morning?

there is a warning in place. there is also a chance the storm could hit areas before the time given, meaning people may not be able to get home and services may need to be canceled quickly. given that, it's safer for everyone if no service operates and people stay at home. dublin bus didn't cancel services for no reason.
    How are emergency services personnel getting to/from work, how are Irish Rail staff getting to/from work, how did the thousands of passengers get to/from Dublin Airport today?

Nobody is asking for full service but there was no justification for not operating a single bus route at all, just typical poor performance something we have become used to in Ireland. A limited service should have operated in Dublin today apart from poor management and no regard for people.

Nobody is asking for every route to even operate, major routes like the 747, 46. 145. 16 should of had a service up until 13-14.00.

by the sounds of it dublin bus felt it wouldn't be 100% safe to operate their services due to the road conditions. when a severe warning like this is in place, people should be at home unless they are fire, ambulence, gardai, army or hospital staff and are called for duty.

there is a warning in place. there is also a chance the storm could hit areas before the time given, meaning people may not be able to get home and services may need to be canceled quickly. given that, it's safer for everyone if no service operates and people stay at home. dublin bus didn't cancel services for no reason.
    By the sounds of it dublin bus felt it wouldn't be 100% safe to operate their services due to the road conditions. when a severe warning like this is in place, people should be at home unless they are fire, ambulence, gardai, army or hospital staff and are called for duty.

The severe warning kicked in at 4pm, and from what I can gather 4pm was the absolute earliest expected arrival time ... the worst isn't expected until later in Dublin.

If it's that severe the government should have told business and shops to shut all day. They didn't. They were very clear it was from 4pm. So there were lots of business and shops open this morning.
    I get what you're saying, conditions weren't ideal, maybe not 100% safe but people would have been safer on Dublin Bus than left to their own devices, of that I have no doubt.

There were other public transport services running, so if there was some grand masterplan to keep people at home they didn't get the memo.

• Advertisement

from what i can gather it was only luas and irish rail and a select few private bus routes which operated today?
    i'd imagine that feedback in relation to road conditions yesterday would have played a part in dublin bus's decisian to cancel services as well as the other reasons. dublin bus wouldn't have canceled their services without good reason as from what i understand they don't get paid by the NTA when not operating.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭greasepalm

we played it safe in not opening garage one for our safety as its baltic in there and not expecting people to drive in those conditions and try and pick vehicles up at a later time/date.

What time do you think the driver must be in depot in morning to operate the 7am bus?
    What time do you think the driver of the 1900 bus will get back to depot?

And all the drivers of these routes live within walking distance of the depots?
    The severe warning kicked in at 4pm, and from what I can gather 4pm was the absolute earliest expected arrival time ... the worst isn't expected until later in Dublin.
    All the drivers live in Dublin within walking distance of the depot?
    Really selfish attitude on display, me me me me me me me , "i dont care how dangerous it could get, the drivers should pay no attention to the government RED ALERT, bring me to the shops because i was too stupid to heed the warnings and get the bread in for a few days".

Those of you who are forced to work and plenty are complaining elsewhere on Boards about this, this weather is yet again more proof you should join a UNION, 2 days off work full pay, do you think the unions would stand for any shít with a employer forcing you go to work with a government approved RED ALERT to stay home?

greasepalm wrote: »
    we played it safe in not opening garage one for our safety as its baltic in there and not expecting people to drive in those conditions and try and pick vehicles up at a later time/date.

Totally the right decision.
    Can you imagine the bitching on here if DB ran a service and it skidded of the road and people were injured?
    Another thing that the idiots here dont realise is that if the bus was grounded along the route because of bad weather, the passengers get off the bus and make their way on foot, but the driver has to stay with the vehicle, great fun that in sub zero temperature with no chance of maintenance coming to the rescue. So the option is leave the driver on bus over night to freeze with no food, water or toilet, or abandon the bus and hope for no vandals.

What time do you think the driver must be in depot in morning to operate the 7am bus?
    What time do you think the driver of the 1900 bus will get back to depot?
    Really selfish attitude on display, me me me me me me me , "i dont care how dangerous it could get, the drivers should pay no attention to the government RED ALERT, bring me to the shops because i was too stupid to heed the warnings and get the bread in for a few days".

I don't know the time, and I don't need to know the time.
    Dublin Bus manage everyday to start operations before the first bus and finish at the last bus. They managed it Wednesday.

Has anyone here said that Dublin Bus should ignore the 4pm red alert? NO.

Has anyone here said they don't care how dangerous it could get? NO.

Has anyone said Dublin bus should pay no attention to a government red alert? NO.

That's a nice snowman whose arguments you've demolished, except no one real is making them.

Totally the right decision.
    Can you imagine the bitching on here if DB ran a service and it skidded of the road and people were injured?
    Another thing that the idiots here dont realise is that if the bus was grounded along the route because of bad weather, the passengers get off the bus and make their way on foot, but the driver has to stay with the vehicle, great fun that in sub zero temperature with no chance of maintenance coming to the rescue. So the option is leave the driver on bus over night to freeze with no food, water or toilet, or abandon the bus and hope for no vandals.

They should've cancelled services from Tuesday afternoon then, if they are that helpless in the face of the weather conditions that prevailed from Tuesday evening to Thursday lunchtime. Because everything you've just said there applied just as much from 5pm Tuesday as it did at 10am Thursday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

but the driver has to stay with the vehicle, great fun that in sub zero temperature with no chance of maintenance coming to the rescue. So the option is leave the driver on bus over night to freeze with no food, water or toilet, or abandon the bus and hope for no vandals.

Stop being so melodramatic. I somehow doubt that would happen.

but the driver has to stay with the vehicle, great fun that in sub zero temperature with no chance of maintenance coming to the rescue. So the option is leave the driver on bus over night to freeze with no food, water or toilet, or abandon the bus and hope for no vandals.

Stop being so melodramatic. I somehow doubt that would happen.

Better to not take chances.

You said Britain were fairing better but 4 people have died over there.

Not to mention the over hundred drivers stranded in Scotland on the road overnight for nearly 12 hours.

I don't know the time, and I don't need to know the time.
    Dublin Bus manage everyday to start operations before the first bus and finish at the last bus. They managed it Wednesday.

Has anyone here said that Dublin Bus should ignore the 4pm red alert? NO.

Has anyone here said they don't care how dangerous it could get? NO.

Has anyone said Dublin bus should pay no attention to a government red alert? NO.

That's a nice snowman whose arguments you've demolished, except no one real is making them.

So what is your point?

• Advertisement

They should've cancelled services from Tuesday afternoon then, if they are that helpless in the face of the weather conditions that prevailed from Tuesday evening to Thursday lunchtime. Because everything you've just said there applied just as much from 5pm Tuesday as it did at 10am Thursday.
    I take it you are clueless,
    Zero snow in dublin tuesday

Advertisement