Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

joes girls wrote: »
    From 4 pm tomorrow everyone in Red Warning areas are to be in their homes.

Who do the government think they are, telling people where they can and cannot be :(

I have no problem with an advisory, saying that it might be wise to be indoors.

But telling people to do this is tantamount to Nanny State gone mad, quite unenforceable and therefore meaningless.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

The tone of this warning from Sean Hogan is MUCH stronger than what was issued for Ophelia. Maybe just because he's done it before, but maybe also because they think serious impacts coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Newbridge kildare 28/02/18
    IMAG11007_zpse91xqekl.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,539 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

RobertKK wrote: »
    The head of the national emergency co-ordination group said 'we have not experienced blizzard conditions since 1982'. Dublin hasn't but parts of the country did on March 31st 2010.
    This is the problem with this country, there shouldn't be an ignorance to other parts of the country that did have blizzard conditions since 1982, Dublin didn't so we are told nowhere did.
    This is not anti-Dublin, but anti-false statements.

I did have very snowy conditions on 30 March 2010 though following on from a very wet day on the 29th.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

prinzeugen wrote: »
    Traffic/people walking on snow causes that not a thaw. I am up the road in Rathgar and there is zero signs of any thaw.

Not the case. I am in a fairly rural part of Cork and there has been a rapid thaw of the snowfall we had earlier today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Temperature's above freezing now @1.6/-5.5C and a good bit of sunshine and no more showers but I haven't noticed any thaw. In D11.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Who do the government think they are, telling people where they can and cannot be :(

But telling people to do this is tantamount to Nanny State gone mad, quite unenforceable and therefore meaningless.

In New York during a snowstorm anyone driving is liable to immediate arrest, in the interest of public safety. That's in a city where they are well used to it.

In Ireland people lack basic driving skills normally. Let alone in this sort of weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭EMPotatohands

They can TELL you to go home but they can’t keep you inside. So shup the whinging.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭grenouille1966

RobertKK wrote: »
    The head of the national emergency co-ordination group said 'we have not experienced blizzard conditions since 1982'. Dublin hasn't but parts of the country did on March 31st 2010.
    This is the problem with this country, there shouldn't be an ignorance to other parts of the country that did have blizzard conditions since 1982, Dublin didn't so we are told nowhere did.
    This is not anti-Dublin, but anti-false statements.

Rubbish. Dublin experienced more disruption in November and December 2010...lasted for weeks as well.
    Many areas of south leinster and Munster have no snow or very little like Cork city.....

Dublin is always the worst affected from an easterly wind...and gets the worst snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

Dropped out to the mother's to see if she needed any help. She has a big box of salt/grit. I started spreading some on the paths around the house and she told me not to as she "was saving it". I said it's no good to use in June. All around the house is nice and clear now. I don't want to get a call telling me she has broken limbs.

she was saving it :):):):):):):):):):):):) love an Irish mammy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Not the case. I am in a fairly rural part of Cork with land there has been a rapid thaw of the snowfall we had earlier today.

Where? I’m I rural West Cork too and we’ve had very little thaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Are you ok there? It's an advisory. They give you advise for safety reasons. You can, of course, chose to ignore it. You know they can't stop you. But they have to state it firmly for those that think "Ah, it's probably not going to be THAT bad", like we heard from loads of people in the lead-up to this event...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Well he said a morning lull. This is an afternoon lull.

Morning lull been delayed that's all, plus the change in wind direction to more of an easterly took longer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

sdanseo wrote: »
    In New York during a snowstorm anyone driving is liable to immediate arrest, in the interest of public safety.

No one should be saved if they receive warnings but go ahead with something anyway. If they get into trouble they should suffer the consequences.

Paully D wrote: »
    Shambolic handling only having the RED warning in place from 4pm tomorrow.

So in other words, people will be expected to be into work and once that happens, the majority of employers won't give a shite about people who have to travel a distance to get home by 4pm.

Tomorrow afternoon will be absolute chaos.

The red warning from today carries into tomorrow in Leinster where it is already bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TJ Mackie

Reading MT's over the past 24 hours:
    MT Cranium wrote:
    Snow is likely to become heavier and more widespread
    QQeZcZL.gif
    MT Cranium wrote:
    I am still thinking blizzard-like heavy snow is possible
    3ZPFFuh.gif
    MT Cranium wrote:
    Thunder-snow could be frequent
    4WeMI66.gif
    MT Cranium wrote:
    This is going to be a wild ride
    6zdseqS.gif
    MT Cranium wrote:
    Thursday night and Friday might be more widespread chaos
    b6fyd3w.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

leahyl wrote: »
    Guys, s**t just got real! :pac:

There's something happening here and what it is ain't exactly clear..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

No solar melt here in Drogheda, only gritted paths and roads with traffic have. Last hail shower 30 mins ago hasn't melted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Snow has thawed on basically all roads in bishopstown or cork city. Grass and cars still have plenty of snow and there is even icicles on the cars! (Never saw them.before!). As I'm typing this another big black cloud overhead and it's starting to snow lightly again. There was really heavy showers again this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

cnocbui wrote: »
    Just had a 20min heavy snow fall in Tipp. Footprints got half filled in.
    That reminds me of a scene from the movie Fargo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

:) To funny not to share!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Heavy graupel falling now in cork city! Should cool the ground!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Whiteout in Athlone here the last hour and a half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Not the case. I am in a fairly rural part of Cork and there has been a rapid thaw of the snowfall we had earlier today.

Rathmines and Rathgar are not in Cork though. Just because it is melting where you are doesn't mean its doing the same everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

RuthieRose wrote: »
    :() To funny not to share!!

Best Post. Hahaha. How did they do that without making too many footsteps?
    Anyways to be on topic, we are getting yer fecking snow here in the NW. Heavy now.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,740 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I did have very snowy conditions on 30 March 2010 though following on from a very wet day on the 29th.

I checked my photos, they were taken on March 31st, so the blizzard was 30th/31st March.
    I remember the reports from Cavan of some farm buildings collapsing under the weight of the snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jdcv94

Heavy heavy shower now in North Wexford for the first time, the Anglesey shield has been broken!

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

Malayalam wrote: »
    Best Post. Hahaha. How did they do that without making too many footsteps?
    Anyways to be on topic, we are getting yer fecking snow here in the NW. Heavy now.

Aliens! Snow finally here in Cavan about 5 miles north of the town. It was a LONG time coming. Some nice lumps coming our way on the radar.Virginia needs to join the red warning of Meath. Its really bad there. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Casualsingby

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,539 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

About two hours ago at Grange, me and my sister having fun in the sneachta.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement