Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭revelman

So are they wrapping in with the easterly wind, if they're coming westwards they have the offshore wind's to deal with.

Looks like it. We’ve gone very grey here all of a sudden. Looks like we are in for some more snow!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Gonzo wrote: »
    the Irish Sea has gone dead for now, maybe this is what MT is referring to when he says in his daily forecast that there will be a brief lull this morning.
    The M.E. short range forecast chart (1100-2000) shows that lull and an increase in activity later.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

There will be more snow later today and overnight but it's unlikely to be as intense as last night.

Thaw here on some surfaces. Shaded areas will be fine but we'll lose the snow from main roads and their pavements before nightfall. At which point everything will freeze and the roads will become lethal.

The sun this time of year is a pain for this. Even such low temperature air mass can't prevent it.

Disappointing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

ANother heavy hail shower in Drogheda now. Big yokes, must be 1.5cm some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

All schools and colleges in Munster and Leinster directed to close until next week.

All Dublin Bus Services cancelled tomorrow

Limited DART / train services tomorrow

https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/0228/944083-tracker-weather-snow/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Thought some were underestimating the strenghth of the sun, snow cover will be significantly reduced later today I think, outside of shaded areas. If only this had happened a month earlier. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

compsys wrote: »
    Surely if the temp is below 0 the snow can't actually melt though? If melting is taking place then that means the temp is above 0, no?

Isn't that temperature measured in the shade though? I could feel some warmth form the sun when I was out a while ago. The sun is shining on the roof of my shed - all the snow is gone. It's not shinig on my back doorstep 4 of 5 feet away - that's still covered in snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭revelman

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Eh? Atlantic?

I live on the coast near Kinsale. I call the water in front of me the Atlantic and there are big clouds moving in from it. Should I call it the Celtic sea? Genuine question. I’m no expert with this weather stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Kingrosie wrote: »
    So last night was the main event?

No. In line with every prediction for the last week the big event is tomorrow evening/night into Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

On the coast in dublin 5 and no thaw here. It’s 0 degrees. Surprised a thaw would be possible in this cold

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,456 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

In Dublin 18 I'd say we'll be down to very little left on the ground come this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Certainly not been disappointing here today, I had some fun. I took my photos. I took small videos. I had walks around in it. All fine and dandy.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Blizzard like conditions in Athlone

There will be more snow later today and overnight but it's unlikely to be as intense as last night.

Thaw here on some surfaces. Shaded areas will be fine but we'll lose the snow from main roads and their pavements before nightfall. At which point everything will freeze and the roads will become lethal.

The sun this time of year is a pain for this. Even such low temperature air mass can't prevent it.

Coming up the hill out of the park at the back of my house - the snow had melted in places, but the run off had refrozen when it hit snow in shaded parts - it was like glass - this was only a couple of hours after the snow had stopped. Meanwhile, anywhere that still had fresh snow wasn't slippy at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

revelman wrote: »
    Main headline on RTÉ - disruption as “snow hits east”.

It has hit us down here on the south coast of Cork too - as bad as anything I’m reading in the East! :D

It did get a brief mention on Morning Ireland all of 30 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Surinam

I'm in Dublin city centre and there is no thaw apart from the roads where grit is everywhere. Not sure I believe the thaw reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭ZeroSum76

Surinam wrote: »
    I'm in Dublin city centre and there is no thaw apart from the roads where grit is everywhere. Not sure I believe the thaw reports.

Why not? It's nearly March like, the longer daylight hours of Sun were always expected to feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Just measured exactly 10cm on the top of my car in Kinnitty, Co Offaly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Red alert for all of us in Munster, schools closed snow days :D

There is a noticeable thaw anywhere the sun is shining.

• Advertisement

Kingrosie wrote: »
    So last night was the main event?

No have you not been

Liveline with Joe D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Wind is very strong in cork city, very cold too. Baltic.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭garyha

In Rathmines here. Definitely a thaw going on at the moment, roads a good bit clearer and no more cars wheel spinning. Roads just wet now rather than slippy. Pavements more slushy than snowy now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

Tems have dropped to -3deg.
    Feels like -9
    Humidity 86%
    Dew point is -5.

Snowing a lot more frequently now.
    (Southeast Wexford)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

On the coast in dublin 5 and no thaw here. It’s 0 degrees. Surprised a thaw would be possible in this cold

Yeh hardly any thaw here in south dublin..patchy sun through relatively overcast skies with intermittent light snow showers

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Hoochiemama

Anyone got any idea of how Limerick is going to fair out over the next few days?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭Soups123

Very heavy in Ratoath about 6-8cm deep, constant top up all morning now sign of any thaw other than some roof tops

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭jay48

Fair play to the lads on here for the heads up on the weather , worked late and out Sunday to get through this week's work , only had a couple of hours to do this morning and it was local . I would've been rightly screwed without the warning .

• Advertisement

Special edition of Liveline with Joe Duffy to be broadcast on TV and radio after the 1pm news today. Bet you can`t wait for that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement