Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Just watched an interview with Wicklow Mountain Rescue. Yer man said the road to Sally Gap has been closed since yesterday and somebody went around it and had to be rescued,their car is still stuck up there.
    Some people are absolute morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

RuthieRose wrote: »
    Aliens! Snow finally here in Cavan about 5 miles north of the town. It was a LONG time coming. Some nice lumps coming our way on the radar.Virginia needs to join the red warning of Meath. Its really bad there. :P

Is Virginia that bad? Lots of people in my job here in Cavan town drive through Virginia on the way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Whiteout in Athlone here the last hour and a half.

And I've been driving thru all of it. Gorgeous to look at but holy **** is it dangerous

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Just watched an interview with Wicklow Mountain Rescue. Yer man said the road to Sally Gap has been closed since yesterday and somebody went around it and had to be rescued,their car is still stuck up there.

Should be prosecuted and banned from driving, and seperately have the key thrown away for endangering emergency services.

Absolute and utter idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭long_b

Over a foot fell in The Curragh. Melting in the sun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,249 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Jaysus lads you wouldn’t know anything was coming in Cork...sun is splitting the stones!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 sept17

Rubbish. Dublin experienced more disruption in November and December 2010...lasted for weeks as well.
    Many areas of south leinster and Munster have no snow or very little like Cork city.....

Dublin is always the worst affected from an easterly wind...and gets the worst snow.

Many areas of Dublin have no snow or very little also, but many parts, like where I am in West Cork, got significant covering. We have 6 inches. There is no mention of any other part of the country in the news, apart from Leinster. Dublin may or may not get the worst snow, but be assured, as the rest of us who also had to endure the lengthy disruption in 2010 have figured out, Dublin certainly gets the best of resources thrown at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

gazzer wrote: »
    Is Virginia that bad? Lots of people in my job here in Cavan town drive through Virginia on the way home.

Our guys were working there and just got sent home. The photo attached was taken at 12pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Whiteout in Athlone here the last hour and a half.

Near Moate, heaviest fall since December 2000. It's about equal to that but still snowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Never thought I'd say it in Wexford but FECK OFF SUNSHINE!!
    The showers are coming in but not getting a chance to leave any accumulation of snow.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

prinzeugen wrote: »
    Rathmines and Rathgar are not in Cork though. Just because it is melting where you are doesn't mean its doing the same everywhere.

I was referring to the first part of the post about cars/people causing snow to thaw, not the location.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,034 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Dropped out to the mother's to see if she needed any help. She has a big box of salt/grit. I started spreading some on the paths around the house and she told me not to as she "was saving it". I said it's no good to use in June. All around the house is nice and clear now. I don't want to get a call telling me she has broken limbs.

She was probably enjoying it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭monty_python

Rte advising everyone to stay indoors from 4pm tomorrow until Friday night

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

First the Sun tried to melt my Snow. Now the wind is trying to blow it away!!!!

Winds are picking up here now and the god damn Sun is out but we are also having a Snow Shower.
    (Southeast Wexford)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jdcv94

Never thought I'd say it in Wexford but FECK OFF SUNSHINE!!
    The showers are coming in but not getting a chance to leave any accumulation of snow.

Snowing heavy for the past 20 mins near Gorey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭davemc6832

Getting teased here. Dark and snowy followed by sun less than 2 minutes later.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Dandruff in Ballina!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There's always one or two who want to see Sally Gap deep in snow, and think their car can handle it. If someone's prepared to drive around a roadblock, there's not much the rest of us can do. You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

The tiniest of thaws here in D16. And by that I mean any snow has fallen from vertical surfaces, and anything on paving slabs has melted becaus ethe slab was slightly exposed to the sun. Still an 11cm deep snow cake on my garden table.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭daheff

Beautiful sunshine here in North Kildare.

definite thaw on too. C'mon storm Emma :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Realbhoy

long_b wrote: »
    Over a foot fell in The Curragh. Melting in the sun.

Oh no the poor horse:P:P (Sorry couldn't resist, back to the weather)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

Anyone know where to buy a toboggan?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭davehey79

Longford town getting an absolute pasting the last 40 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

In the last 5 days, I've had 10 e-mails and 6 text messages from Fingal Co. Council warning me about various closures.

Have to admit, they're pretty on the ball, although probably overdoing it a little.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Same as what happened during Ophelia. Some people think they are immune.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Lot of melt today on surfaces despite the temperature currently at -0.1c. Hopefully more to come in West Clare.

• Administrators Posts: 53,553 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Sunny now in Dublin 18. Those clouds are moving away, not towards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭daheff

lolo62 wrote: »

Adverts next week!:D

right now...no idea...would imagine most are out of stock

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

lolo62 wrote: »

In Tabbagons 'R Us, in the Taboggan quarter!

We used to use plastic fertiliser bags when we were young
    /sips Barry's Tea wistfully....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement