Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Blowing snow in Offaly. As heavy as I have seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Rapid thaw in bray. Anywhere in sunshine is nearly gone. Hopefully we get more tonight and over the next few days
    What? The place is still completely covered :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Mr.S wrote: »
    Dublin Bus have cancelled all services for tomorrow.
    Where have you seen this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭yeahimhere

Louth getting hot now, thought we had gotten away lightly alright. Nothing but snow clouds in the sky, some strong gusts of winds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

cyclops999 wrote: »
    Blizzard like conditions in Athlone

Hi, thanks for the update on Athlone, is the snow sticking there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Kilkenny city bright sunshine and lots of slush. Some places where there's heavy traffic have thawed but still a good covering of snow on grassy knolls and untrodden pavements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Streamers just taking a lunch break like ourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Creative83

I was just watching the news and I think they said all Dublin buses cancelled tomorrow & Friday with only limited rail running

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

hmmm wrote: »
    Where have you seen this?

Announced on RTE News just now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

The M.E. short range forecast chart (1100-2000) shows that lull and an increase in activity later.

M.T also stated about the lull

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

garyha wrote: »
    In Rathmines here. Definitely a thaw going on at the moment, roads a good bit clearer and no more cars wheel spinning. Roads just wet now rather than slippy. Pavements more slushy than snowy now too.

Traffic/people walking on snow causes that not a thaw. I am up the road in Rathgar and there is zero signs of any thaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

From 4 pm tomorrow everyone in Red Warning areas are to be in their homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sabhail

Rte reporting all dublin buses off tomorrow. Nothing on Dublin bus site yet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Brilliant update ongoing by Eoghan Murphy.

"Employers should bear in mind that all people in red warning areas should plan to be at home from 4pm tomorrow until 12pm on Friday."

https://www.rte.ie/player/ie/live/7/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

You can see the sea starting to bubble up again near north wales

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

ZX7R wrote: »
    M.T also stated about the lull

Well he said a morning lull. This is an afternoon lull.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Shambolic handling only having the RED warning in place from 4pm tomorrow.

So in other words, people will be expected to be into work and once that happens, the majority of employers won't give a shite about people who have to travel a distance to get home by 4pm.

Tomorrow afternoon will be absolute chaos.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Dropped out to the mother's to see if she needed any help. She has a big box of salt/grit. I started spreading some on the paths around the house and she told me not to as she "was saving it". I said it's no good to use in June. All around the house is nice and clear now. I don't want to get a call telling me she has broken limbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Stephen Hawkins football boots

Sun splitting stones in Sandyford now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

sdanseo wrote: »
    Brilliant update ongoing by Eoghan Murphy.

"Employers should bear in mind that all people in red warning areas should plan to be at home from 4pm tomorrow until 12pm on Friday."

https://www.rte.ie/player/ie/live/7/

I disagree.

People will now be expected to be into work and once that happens, it'll be every man for himself trying to get home for 4pm. There will be madness on the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Sean Hogan: "People should not venture out of doors while the red warning is in place in your area"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Paully D wrote: »

So in other words, people will be expected to be into work and once that happens, the majority of employers won't give a shite about people who have to travel a distance to get home by 4pm.

No, don’t worry. The red warning is in place for the next 3 days so people won’t be expected to go in tomorrow morning. No Dublin Bus operating tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Not only has it thawed a good bit here in Cork City northside, some of the roads are bone dry. Although as I'm typing this, the wind has picked up and there's a big black cloud blowing in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Rapid thaw in bray. Anywhere in sunshine is nearly gone. Hopefully we get more tonight and over the next few days

Confused by this comment. Do you live in the Apartment Block on the mainstreet or something?? ie. I can see foot, road traffic and salting/gritting of same removing the snow on footpaths and roads visible to someone living up there and the South facing roofs of houses and shops near those apartments losing their snow and thus giving you the major thaw impression. However the promenade and grass is still white down here, as are roofs, gardens and Bray Head. Strand Road surface is clear/slushy and paths are that translucent grey slush alright though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Paully D wrote: »

So in other words, people will be expected to be into work and once that happens, the majority of employers won't give a shite about people who have to travel a distance to get home.

There are two red warnings for two separate events. One for the snow and cold and there other for a wind/snow event. Best to read the full warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

Significant thaw on the coast with the sun shining well now.
    Kermit had been convinced there would be no thaw, but as a coastal dweller with many unhappy memories of easterlies past, Im surprised it survived until this late in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The head of the national emergency co-ordination group said 'we have not experienced blizzard conditions since 1982'. Dublin hasn't but parts of the country did on March 31st 2010.
    This is the problem with this country, there shouldn't be an ignorance to other parts of the country that did have blizzard conditions since 1982, Dublin didn't so we are told nowhere did.
    This is not anti-Dublin, but anti-false statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jdcv94

First snow shower today in North Wexford, see how long this one lasts before the Anglesey shadow comes in again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Snowmaker

Dropped out to the mother's to see if she needed any help. She has a big box of salt/grit. I started spreading some on the paths around the house and she told me not to as she "was saving it"...

hahaha! You sure that wasn't 'the good salt' now? You know mammies... the good scissors, the good chopping board.. that stuff is never to be used. :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement