Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭ThaitaniumM

wakka12 wrote: »
    Its kind of sunny now and scaring me a little..solar radiation can melt snow a bit even if the temps are below 0 can't it??

Yes it causes sublimation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

aidanodr wrote:
    Yip .. Im in Carrigaline. We got well hit through the night last night, but over the hill in Cork city .. NOTHING. Hence all the radio stations ( 96fm, Red FM ) displaying disbelief and callers also .. "Shur no snow here, how could it be there" .. implication is someone telling porkies. I mean .. whats that attitude all about, I dont get it?

We only got 3 or 4cm I'd say up the northside. Wife was working out in Mahon and said it was worse out there. I'm working out in Ringaskiddy - not due in until Friday, but I got a text saying the plant is closed until further notice. If ypu watched the radar at all you could see your area getting pasted.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Its kind of sunny now and scaring me a little..solar radiation can melt snow a bit even if the temps are below 0 can't it??

I'm not sure, heard conflicting views on this

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

We only got 3 or 4cm I'd say up the northside. Wife was working out in Mahon and said it was worse out there. I'm working out in Ringaskiddy - not due in until Friday, but I got a text saying the plant is closed until further notice. If ypu watched the radar at all you could see your area getting pasted.

We got a good bit in city centre too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭eldamo

The largest amount of warnings ive seen on the met eireann site

STATUS RED

Snow-ice Warning for Munster and Leinster
    Blizzard-like conditions will develop in heavy snow and strong easterly winds on Thursday evening and will continue Thursday night and Friday morning giving significant snow drifts in many areas.

Issued:Wednesday 28 February 2018 11:00
    Valid:Thursday 01 March 2018 16:00 to Friday 02 March 2018 12:00

STATUS RED

Snow-ice Warning for Dublin, Kildare, Louth, Wicklow and Meath
    Heavy overnight snowfall has led to accumulations of snow between 5 and 10cm. Snow showers will continue to occur during today and again tonight with further accumulations. Total snowfall up to midday Thursday may reach 25cm.

Issued:Wednesday 28 February 2018 05:00
    Valid:Wednesday 28 February 2018 05:00 to Thursday 01 March 2018 12:00

STATUS ORANGE

Snow-ice Warning for Connacht, Cavan and Monaghan
    Persistent snow will develop on Thursday night and will continue into Friday. Together with strong easterly winds this may lead to snow drifts.

Valid:Thursday 01 March 2018 20:00 to Friday 02 March 2018 12:00

STATUS ORANGE

Snow-ice Warning for Carlow, Kilkenny, Laois, Longford, Wexford, Offaly, Westmeath, Cork, Tipperary and Waterford
    Update
    Scattered heavy snow showers continuing today, tonight and tomorrow with further accumulations.

Issued:Wednesday 28 February 2018 08:14
    Valid:Wednesday 28 February 2018 06:00 to Thursday 01 March 2018 12:00

STATUS YELLOW

Snow-ice Warning for Connacht, Cavan, Monaghan, Donegal, Clare and Limerick
    Scattered heavy snow showers today, tonight, and tomorrow.

Valid:Wednesday 28 February 2018 08:00 to Thursday 01 March 2018 12:00

feck, do I have to go into the office for 4 hours tomorrow afternoon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭bazlers

East day ding very we today. Happy times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

wakka12 wrote:

Well it's definitely melting here in Cork City, but refreezing again in patches. Anywhere in direct sunlight has lost a lot, if not all of the snow. Roads will be lethal later on I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Has the wind changed direction :(
    Was expecting to get tailend of a couple of streamers here in kildare but suddenly they seem to head north instead of south towards me.,

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

leahyl wrote: »
    Guys, s**t just got real! :pac:

Delighted for you cork city folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Barnaboy wrote: »
    Struggling to keep up with all the posts but I haven't seen much reports from the north midlands. I'm in northeast Offaly and it is incessant here. Reckon 8-9 inches lying snow and continuing to fall.

Hard to believe how localised the heavier stuff is.

Where are you Barnaboy? I teach in Edenderry and needless to say school was closed today. More than likely tomorrow and Friday too.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

-2 here and yet the dusting we got has melted. Don't fully understand it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Midday 28th Feb 2018

Mullingar -3
    Dunsany -3
    Johnstown castle -3
    Gurteen -3
    Even a rare -2 for the Sherkin islands

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Flutters again in d6.
    Habe we any idea of times for snowfall?...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Oh i was watching it all right. Up all night cause I have a bug to boot so sleep disturbed last few nights. Cant sleep .. weather watch :D

Its just this thing of .. "well if it aint snowing in my immediate area, then any other place near by cannot be either, so stop fibbing"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the Irish Sea has gone dead for now, maybe this is what MT is referring to when he says in his daily forecast that there will be a brief lull this morning.
    Sun here again, showers since 10am here haven't really amounted to much, very patchy and light most of the time.

Hopefully we will see some prolonged 2010 level beefy showers later today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

The Irish Sea has gone quiet. Say it ain’t so, Irish Sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Decent burst of heavy snow and graupel in Goatstown just there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,551 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

A robin just kicked some snow off my roof. Bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭adam240610

Any chance of a more NE wind? For north Wicklow :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Definite thaw on here in the north east

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

Gonzo wrote: »
    the Irish Sea has gone dead for now, maybe this is what MT is referring to when he says in his daily forecast that there will be a brief lull this morning.
    Sun here again, showers since 10am here haven't really amounted to much, very patchy and light most of the time.

Hopefully we will see some prolonged 2010 level beefy showers later today.

Looks pretty busy in Howth

https://balticlivecam.com/cameras/ireland/howth/howth-panorama/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Fingal Co. Council & presumably many others absolutely on the ball with alerts.

SMS and emails very soon after MÉ issued warnings
    RTÉ also with push notifications.

I have no doubt that these events warrant multiple red warnings numerically; my only worry is if we ever have a dangerous event worse than Ophelia (more likely with every year, our weather is becoming more severe, what that is caused by is not for this thread) that they will lose their impact.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Trying to follow the forecast for this week, Limerick is on a red alert from Thursday evening through to Friday.

What does this mean for the rest of the country, I'm supposed to be heading to Dun Laoghaire this weekend, any idea if the alerts will still be in place?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

A risk is that sun will melt snow in parts, which will then refreeze later and be snow covered. Thst will make the roads and paths much more treachorous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Definitely looks like a few hours lull in Dublin and elsewhere from about now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Work feels so long today. I just want to get out in that beautiful snow and see how the whole city looks under it. I feel like a caged animal right now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Casement hourly snow depth reports this morning.

3 am 4 cm
    4 am 6 cm
    5 am 16 cm
    6 am 16 cm
    7 am 16 cm
    8 am 16 cm
    9 am 16 cm
    10 am 14 cm
    11 am 15 cm
    12 pm 16 cm

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ARated

Nice site for traffic cams in the Dublin region: tiitraffic dot ie/cams/ (can't post links at the moment - new user) N81 near Baltinglass looks bad. But M50 currently looks ok. Will be interesting to watch over the coming days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

sdanseo wrote: »
    Fingal Co. Council & presumably many others absolutely on the ball with alerts.

SMS and emails very soon after MÉ issued warnings
    RTÉ also with push notifications.

I have no doubt that these events warrant multiple red warnings numerically; my only worry is if we ever have a dangerous event worse than Ophelia (more likely with every year, our weather is becoming more severe, what that is caused by is not for this thread) that they will lose their impact.

Well if there is n ot 1982 or 2010 style b

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

Quite a fast thaw happening north dunlin already
    Balcony was thick with snow now clear, snow shrinking on rooftops too
    This to be expected and perhaps more snow later?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement