Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

New Met Eireann warning:

STATUS YELLOW

Low Temperature Warning for Leinster, Cavan, Monaghan and Donegal
    Lowest temperatures of -3 Celsius expected overnight tonight.

Issued:Saturday 24 February 2018 15:00
    Valid:Sunday 25 February 2018 02:00 to Sunday 25 February 2018 10:00

Looks like the northern counties will be coldest at the start then. And so the warning saga starts!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

GFS rollout well underway, no real changes up to 114hrs (6am Thursday), although on Wednesday looks like the southern quarter getting just above freezing. Rest of country won't see Maxima above freezing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,869 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Espoo Finland now - a sign of things to come. The hole in the ice is for swimming :eek:

sg4uc7.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Its been a while.

442728.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The longevity of the freeze is somewhat uncertain as less extreme conditions may develop by by Sunday/Monday

However tonight's output increases the risk of a crippling snow storm Thursday into Friday which really would bring the nation to standstill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

GFS keeping -10 uppers over us until Saturday, rather than the -4 to -6 uppers that the 06z was showing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Daniel2590 wrote: »
    GFS keeping -10 uppers over us until Saturday, rather than the -4 to -6 uppers that the 06z was showing

Yep much more in line with earlier ECM and UK met office thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Yep much more in line with earlier ECM and UK met office thinking.

GEM has the mild air flooding in from the south off of the low as early as Saturday morning, something to watch out for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

As it stands we're going to get hammered down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭yrrag1974

Living 250m above sea level in the Wicklow hills. Bring. It. On!!!!

• Advertisement

12z GFS

tempresult_nsl3.gif

tempresult_ljn7.gif

Looking like a possible second storm on Sunday, something to watch out for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

yrrag1974 wrote: »
    Living 250m above sea level in the Wicklow hills. Bring. It. On!!!!

I hope you have stocked up, some of these charts will have you completely cut off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

JCX BXC wrote: »
    What have the last few days been, and what will the next 3 days be?

I am genuinely puzzled as to what the actual point of this question is?

We need a couple of weeks at least of dry weather here in the west to dry out the still saturated ground, but perhaps this is not something you would notice when living in the soilless rocks of west Clare.

New Moon

GEM has the mild air flooding in from the south off of the low as early as Saturday morning, something to watch out for.

Interesting ECM later. They are all interesting now!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭yrrag1974

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    I hope you have stocked up, some of these charts will have you completely cut off.

Stocked up this morning. Fuel. Food. Gas. All because of this forum. Well done guys. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,614 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The longevity of the freeze is somewhat uncertain as less extreme conditions may develop by by Sunday/Monday

However tonight's output increases the risk of a crippling snow storm Thursday into Friday which really would bring the nation to standstill

On the evidence so far it would without a doubt be the first actual snowstorm I have witnessed in my young age here and the most severe potentially in decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

giphy.gif.7d0ef8b8fb79fff38e606684ad27047a.gif

not the worst..

(from ajpoolwork on netweather)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

This has been the longest week ever. The waiting for the Beast is doing my head in.
    I am going around in a constant state of excitement!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

This has been the longest week ever. The waiting for the Beast is doing my head in.
    I am going around in a constant state of excitement!
    Lol your not alone there we all feel that way I think.
    Worth waiting for!!!

Lol your not alone there we all feel that way I think.
    Worth waiting for!!!

How do you think things are looking before Thursday JS?

• Advertisement

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I am genuinely puzzled as to what the actual point of this question is?

We need a couple of weeks at least of dry weather here in the west to dry out the still saturated ground, but perhaps this is not something you would notice when living in the soilless rocks of west Clare.

You asked for a few dry days, I simply stated that we've had a few dry days and will get a few more.

Also, the burren is in North Clare ;)

Looks like another potentially serious snow event on Sunday too, before a thaw comes. If one was to take the GFS 12Z run as certain, the country would have at least a foot of snow everywhere and up to 2 maybe even 3 feet in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

How do you think things are looking before Thursday JS?
    I'm a little unsure. The GFS Seems to have downgraded the ppn a bit. I'm quietly confident but before Thursday it could be a case of me seeing snow in the city and maybe struggling inland

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

I'm a little unsure. The GFS Seems to have downgraded the ppn a bit. I'm quietly confident but before Thursday it could be a case of me seeing snow in the city and maybe struggling inland
    Please don’t use the D word we’ve come so far :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Who knew so many models existed!
    I don't understand most of them but they look fascinating!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,010 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Carol25 wrote: »
    I remember in 2009 Lough Atalia froze. But in 2010 it was -15 at the Athenry exit of the M6 motorway at 8.45am! A lot of people’s pipes froze in 2010.

There was ice on parts of Logh Derg:

Ice_Loug_Derg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,356 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

River Foyle in Derry frozen in 2010

https://www.flickr.com/photos/celtictiger666/4261586855

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Oh no :(

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭tashiusclay

davidsr20 wrote: »
    Please don’t use the D word we’ve come so far :(
    Did someone say downgrade?? That's music to my ears! And onwards into a dry bright spring we go..!

• Advertisement

Did someone say downgrade?? That's music to my ears! And onwards into a dry bright spring we go..!

Bold words to be saying around here :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement