Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Delta2113

This tweet from bbc Wales weatherman Derek Brockway
    And he’s kind enough to mention Dublin!

https://twitter.com/derektheweather/status/967360045162926082

Dublin is not in the U.K. so I wouldn't go by him.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Any current model updates or are we still on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Delta2113 wrote: »

So by that logic, Dublin won't get any snow at all? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭quartz1

How might flights in and out of Cork Airport be affected if they get snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

jamo2oo9 wrote: »

Not sure how that was suggested at all, however I suggest taking a look at the forecasts posted by many experts on here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭endacl

jamo2oo9 wrote: »

Fingers and toes crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

And back online for the day, that was a lot of pages to read through haha. Models are looking great still I can see! And ecm is even predicting a plastering for southern/eastern counties if I read through this thread and models correctly. The hype continues...

quartz1 wrote: »
    How might flights in and out of Cork Airport be affected if they get snow.

luckiest delayed, worst cancelled. I expect the majority of UK flights to be cancelled as they are expected to get plastered.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Carol25

I remember in 2009 Lough Atalia froze. But in 2010 it was -15 at the Athenry exit of the M6 motorway at 8.45am! A lot of people’s pipes froze in 2010.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

I'm surprised there's no talk on the news about the homeless and provisions being made for them during this potential period of snowmagedon. Surely there's sufficient warning now to be putting measures in place and advising people in that situation where they can take shelter if it gets as bad as expected.

Unless a red warning is issued by ME, I would think there will be no govt. announcement. No doubt plans are being drawn up behind the scenes if it comes to that.

• Advertisement

Delta2113 wrote: »
    A very silly attitude.
    The weather doesn't recognise nationality of territory, nor do weathermen when it comes to reporting on weather, they just report on geographical locations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Looks like we will be in snow squall territory from Tuesday onwards. Also, seems like a nice and 'democratic' easterly with the winds alternating from E or even ESE to ENE and NE so shower activity possible from E Northern Ireland all the way down to Waterford, with those showers reaching far into the midlands thanks to the strong winds.

Accumulations wise not sure at this stage, gonna post a conservative 10-12cm for my location (Dalkey - 40 metres asl) but only because the wind may be a big too strong on Thursday for getting well organized and established showers on the coastal fringes. All speculation at this point and my post completely excludes the potential Friday event which as currently progged would really be other-worldy

Right, so we're getting into the monotonous territory, so I'd like to clarify a few things and questions people commonly ask.

Q. Will there be snow in Dublin/Cork/The M7 exactly 3miles outside Portlaoise

A. We don't know where exactly the snow will fall, and won't know for sure until it actually falls, however users on here will be continuing to post their thoughts as charts become available. Your best bet is to probably look over the last 10 or so pages of the thread to get a good idea, or to be around when the charts come out

Q. Will XXX airport be affected

A. Again, not a clue, as the next few days will be shower based precip, which by it's nature is very hit and miss. You may get a better idea around 18-24 hours beforehand as the TAF's (Terminal Area Forecasts) come out for each airport, which I or other users will post

Q. When are the various weather charts released?

A. I'll answer this for the 2 most popular models here, the ECM and GFS. The GFS is issued 4 times a day at 00Z, 06Z, 12Z, and 18Z, and rolls out to us gradually from 3hrs 30mins after these respective times. For example, the next GFS we'll be able to see is the 12Z, which will begins it's rollout in around 40mins and have completed it's rollout by 5pm. Wait until after 4 to get a clear picture.

The ECM rolls out twice a day (00Z and 12Z) and is available 6 or 7 hours after it's issued. So around 6-7pm this evening is out next ECM update

Q. Will this be as bad as 2010/1982/other weather events

A. Current indications are for temperatures not to get as low as those events, however, snowfall may be as severe if not worse than these. The picture isn't clear yet as we only have some of the event in the reliable range. It probably won't last as long as those 2 events above, but this is not clear. Check back for updates in few days

Q. How long will this spell last?

A. As above, we don't know for certain, however the GFS is signalling a breakdown by next Sunday, whereas the ECM keeps it going until the end of it's run. It remains to be seen how long it will last

Q. What preparations do I need

A. There's a thread set up to deal with this issue, so best check or ask there. Having a good few litres of water, means of cooking without power, means of heating without power and non perishable, edible without cooking food is a good idea, you may not need it however better to be safe than sorry

Hopefully I've answered these in a way that's understandable to those who know very little about the weather. This should help answer the most commonly asked questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

The distribution of the snow showers across the models (low and high res) is gradually getting more widespread

:mad:

Is it too much to ask to have a just few dry days at least? Drying has been fantastic the last couple of days and it would be nice if it lasted for a while.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭grenouille1966

Dublin is going to get a bashing...always does when we have a decent easterly wind. Unlike rhe Atlantic regime whuch brings very temporary wet type of snow, the east wind brings sustainable and decent stuff.
    Some French weather forecasters are predicting up to 15-20 cm for the East coast.
    Freezing here in Dublin 15.......3 degrees but feels a lot colder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭dacogawa

I missed the graphic for Monday on Met.ie earlier, shooting a bit too early or just warming up the graphics for the week ahead :D

nat02_weather.png?1508

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭newwan

im landing in dublin on wednesday morning from boston. cancelled flight i suppose :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

newwan wrote: »
    im landing in dublin on wednesday morning from boston. cancelled flight i suppose :(

Not that many flights get cancelled its mostly just delays due to having to de-ice the wings before each flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,614 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

JCX BXC wrote: »

A. As above, we don't know for certain, however the GFS is signalling a breakdown by next Sunday, whereas the ECM keeps it going until the end of it's run.

9/10 onlookers and visitors:

"I don't have a clue what he's talking about but it sounds good"

:D

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    :mad:

Is it too much to ask to have a just few dry days at least? Drying has been fantastic the last couple of days and it would be nice if it lasted for a while.

What have the last few days been, and what will the next 3 days be?

• Advertisement

Berlin Schönefeld airport reporting an temperature of -1c and a dewpoint of -11c at 4:20pm local time.

Cold is on its way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Streamers affecting Northeast Germany: DWzLVEcXUAEErOw.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭newwan

wakka12 wrote: »

Not that many flights get cancelled its mostly just delays due to having to de-ice the wings before each flight.
    That gives me some hope. I really dont care about my return flight. I just have to land on time!! meeting wednesday morning in malahide. wonder can i get any kind of insurance on the flight in case its delayed?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

Current temperature across Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

That gives me some hope. I really dont care about my return flight. I just have to land on time!! meeting wednesday morning in malahide. wonder can i get any kind of insurance on the flight in case its delayed?

How long between the time your flight is supposed to arrive and your meeting? It wouldn't surprise me if you were diverted to Shannon. I can't see Dublin handling snow well but Shannon will be more likely to be snowfree.

Snow day

19D2ABF5-FFCC-4C2B-97B4-145513F84F7B.png.7bd228339d3f00a2e10831e18d2807e4.png

(taken from netweather poster shotski)
    (again these charts are iffy just fun to look at :P )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Snow day

19D2ABF5-FFCC-4C2B-97B4-145513F84F7B.png.7bd228339d3f00a2e10831e18d2807e4.png

(taken from netweather poster shotski)
    (again these charts are iffy just fun to look at :P )

If that came off that'd be the worst snow Cork has seen for decades. More than a foot it would seem. :eek:

If that came off that'd be the worst snow Cork has seen for decades. More than a foot it would seem. :eek:

Let us all hope that it does ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,894 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Where would one get some road salt .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement