Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I feel alone focusing on the present than Thursday/Friday. To be honest, I'm little interested in then especially after the model runs of the past few days. I'll be happy enough with tomorrow and Wednesday.

Hell, even today, I saw a lot more snow grains/flurries than I expected.

As for the longer term, I'll repeat what I said, this beast ain't going nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Vxlks

I get that this low is all over the place, but if I'm thinking correctly, what's the ECM show for starters, also, in its latest runs people saying "ah it's turning to rain" and all that, (to a degree anyway) but is this just to do with the south coast (cork) or would that reach places like Dublin and the midlands, because is it just that the models go for the south to get rain or the entire country?? I'm kinda confused here.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭policy75

harr wrote: »
    Terrible mixed comments from some forecasters today from hyping it up today to a big maybe this evening...some lad in tv3 earlier saying it’s not going to be anything special or extraordinary, no wonder some people not taking it very seriously..

was also watching the tv3 forcast with the met eireann guy. He was full sure that storm emma was going to put manners on our siberian friend and all would return to normal by the end of the week. feckin spoilsport :-0

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Vxlks wrote: »
    I get that this low is all over the place, but if I'm thinking correctly, what's the ECM show for starters, also, in its latest runs people saying "ah it's turning to rain" and all that, (to a degree anyway) but is this just to do with the south coast (cork) or would that reach places like Dublin and the midlands, because is it just that the models go for the south to get rain or the entire country?? I'm kinda confused here.

I thought the ECM looked better as the 0 temps stay a lot further south then previous runs, keeping the entire south coast in -2 temps then returning to colder conditions again, its getting somewhere better anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The latest ECM shows, again, a major nationwide snow event for Thursday evening and Friday with high accumulation amounts. Very disruptive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

Mr.S wrote: »
    Seems like it. Bit of cold rain. Nothing to see really.

Have a read of the very first post on this thread .......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

anna080 wrote: »
    What can be done to stop pipes from freezing? :o
    In general if you are very worried about freezing (internal pipes/service pipe/meter box) you would probably be safest to actually turn off your stopcock at night when you are finished with shower, washing machine etc and wrap the meter/stopcock with homemade insulation (something like old clothing) or attic insulation into the box itself... then run your taps and empty out the pipes completely.

In the morning go back out and remove the insulation and turn back on the stopcock - the councils main will not freeze unless its extraordinarily cold because there will be water moving all night long, the problem for most people is the service pipe (from the box to your house). You can never guarantee it but this should work in the vast majority of cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

It boils down to who do we trust etc. in a weird its a pity it has petered out.

Folks, anyone else starting to lose the faith here.

Last week we were looking at a 2010 scenario with cold locked in for weeks.
    Talk during the week was of record falls feet deep.

It's now Monday night and not even a flurry here near Carlow.
    Now they are saying tomorrow night but nothing frontal or heavy until Thursday.
    Now we hear it'll probably all be gone by Friday anyway.

It's all gone a bit pete tong if I may say.
    I'm sorry I caught the hype train a bit early but what promised to be epic once in a lifetime may not transpire and it's made me a bit sad.
    Sorry for dragging down the thread.

Not much snow was ever forecast to fall on monday or tuesday, just little snow flurries with the main stuff starting wednesday and then a *possible* < emphasis on possible, blizzard on thursday/friday with a return to cold conditions then.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭otherfrog

In effect that was the line this morning at least for East coast. Look I can smell the wavering with the Met people on this, I am certain this whole blizzard of the century has an element of marginality which output contines to trend toward. ECM more progressive on its 12z than its 00z to my eye too.

I’m just saying what I see objectively. I still think it will snow but not a 1982 job

The consistent line from Met Eireann over the last day or so - at least as far as I have seen - is that there is a possibility of a major event, but it's too early to get into specifics; they've held back from issuing red warnings and the constant refrain has been to pay attention to forecasts over the course of the week.

I don't see that as wavering; it's caution and they've been cautious all along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

The latest ECM shows, again, a major nationwide snow event for Thursday evening and Friday with high accumulation amounts. Very disruptive.

Is the Eagle on twitter?

otherfrog wrote: »
    The consistent line from Met Eireann over the last day or so - at least as far as I have seen - is that there is a possibility of a major event, but it's too early to get into specifics; they've held back from issuing red warnings and the constant refrain has been to pay attention to forecasts over the course of the week.

I don't see that as wavering; it's caution and they've been cautious all along.

when they send out an alert and it doesn't happen people get frustrated. When they send no alert and are cautious people get frustrated. Can't win. :p:pac::p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

I get why people are frustrated but come on... it doesn't look bad at all! There was never significant snow forecast for tonight. It starts tomorrow evening. That frontal event later in the week is far from nailed, so no need to feel downbeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,913 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Anyway, we will see what happens. That's forecasting for ya!

In the meantime while we wait and wait, have a look at this clip from Youtube of a woman slipping and sliding on ice. Hilarious.

Now the lady in question looks like she is a daytime pyjama wearer and is just back from the school run. But it is funny.

If anyone has any more it will help pass the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6NJMjOk09Q

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Met Eireann still have a Level 2 warning for Tuesday for snow - so I don't know why posters on here think it will be a non event.

We've had some fairly disruptive falls up this side of the country this winter allready- leaving nasty roads for a couple of days in hilly areas - even 6cm in the capital has the potential to cause chaos if it freezes over.

It was never going to be like 2010 over this way - that was depths of winter and minus 20 locally. There wasn't as much hype then though - =-O
    Despite the sub zeros -
    So it will snow - there will be more on the east and South coast - and it will be bitterly cold. But it's almost March so it won't ever linger long.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

A typo on the six-one forecast- Sever frost and ice!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Having watched the weather on RTE more confusion, utterly different to Eagleton.

Meant to say that it was kind of a painful day for me with literally everybody asking me if the schools will close and if so when..... I predict weather. I don't predict when schools close :rolleyes:.

woo some snowey sleety stuff showing for us down south on the six one! better then nothing and a great start for us down here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭dubal

That weather forecast on 6-1 basically says the blizzards are on the way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Yup, a great RTE forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Great forecast. Blizzard conditions Thursday night into Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Very confident forecast by Helen Dillion,Disruptive snow spreading northwards across the country on thursday, latest from met eireann after the news,and very bullish about it too!

The ECM 12z FI has made me wonder if there's ever been a good March northerly in terms of cold or snow? I can't seem to think of one off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭diceyd

I'm in work at 5am Friday, should be fun getting in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭Rougies

I see everybody is enjoying the rollercoaster so far :pac:

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I think the forum needs a bit more objectivity, even if you say it angrily on the internet doesnt make it more or less likely to snow, everyone gotta chill :cool:

Whats really ****ing annoying though is listening to people completely misinterpret a forecast. The latest RTE news bulletin said there would be disruptive snow in the east during the week. I don't see how this could be interepreted any other way yet theres been several people posting straight after it saying they're sad theres not going to be any snow now or something

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Chong wrote: »
    Having watched the weather on RTE more confusion, utterly different to Eagleton.

The Clout from South is coming into play!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,140 ✭✭✭pad199207

Rain and Sleet onto the east coast tomorrow afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Unfortunately we all want to hear our own wishes with the weather being verified. No human causes this and what will happen will happen. I do miss this forum when we have six people on line discussing the latest drizzle possibilities for the west coast and the like. Hurry up snow!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement