Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 DaleB

Ok lads, few pre made dinners, portable gas heater and any hope of snow is up for sale. Ive given up, its just gonna rain and be cold.
    Im sure some of the country will get it but with so many different trends and people sayin so many different things im sure down in Waterford been so close to the coast we wont get it.
    Thanks to the lads who've contributed all their knowledge, been a great bitta readin the last few days and the excitement. I was hardly able to sleep! 😂 Enjoy it yee lucky feckers in Dublin/Wicklow.

And my reason for us missing the snow is simple, all the charts were shown snow starting around tomorrow for Waterford, goin all the way till friday. Now its just Thursday night thats showing snow fall and as has been discussed, Emma from Portugal is due to arrive Friday so nothin worth worrying about really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

Duggie2012 wrote: »
    Why are people running to the shops todays ffs. Its not the outback.

I wouldn't underestimate the ability of relatively small falls of snow in this part of the world to cause very significant disruption and inability to get to the shops.

1. Lack of snow equipment as it doesn't snow very often.

2. No snow chains or winter tyres fitted makes driving very hard.

3. Ireland's not very cold, so you get to that level where you've often got ice that's barely ice or compacted snow. It's not that kind of dry very frozen powder you get in most of North America or parts of the continent that are much colder and see regular snowfall. It's not ice that's slippy, it's the very fine layer of water that forms on the top of it when the friction of your foot or tyre melts a very thin layer at the surface and you go sliding across the ice.

Our temps are closer to a fridge than a freezer.

In very cold climates, you can actually drive quite reasonably on ice as it's extremely frozen. In Ireland it's more like the perfect conditions created for ice skating on a rink!

This isn't a snowy region and it has impacts here that are not likely to be found in regions that are colder and get more regular falls as a result.

I wouldn't be too sneering about people making preparations for bad weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

People just trying to make a name for themselves by resorting to hyperbole either way. I'd say the reality will lie somewhere in between the extremes of MT Craniums worst since 1947 and the Eagles downplaying of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭saffron22

Is it just me or does Evelyn sound like she has no idea

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭heffoo

Evelyn just ramping blizzards on the news

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭dubal

heffoo wrote: »

Thats a serious ramp... "Ireland is the battleground"

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

Just watching Six One and there is no doubt, no doubt at all that Evelyn’s body language has changed from earlier and the extent Of any blizzard on Thursday is looking a lot less impactful and probable to the boffins in Glasnevin.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

In terms of transport, how exactly? You can't email someone a pint of milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

This apppears to have been completely over hyped. Models showing a bit of snow Thursday and gone again quickly Friday as it heats up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

*Sigh* just watched it with my family 'Ah its not gonna be that bad' 'Sure stuff like this happened before where we got red and nothing happened.' '2010 was wayyyy worse'. Tried arguing but not worth it! Oh well. Blizzard come to Cork let me prove them wrong! :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

Cork City Council has completely gritted and salted every footpath in the whole city centre.
    I have to say fair dos to them for doing it, it will mean if it does get a little bit nippier there's no risk of anyone toppling, but at the same time you'd wonder if it will get THAT bad in Cork City of all places. It's usually got a microclimate that keeps temps above freezing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

Is Galway likely to be hit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

ECM warmer (relatively) air lurking south. Not good news for snow lovers. We get a three day wonder and then it's gone. Lot of risks to be taken on a call. Cannot see a red alert justification, purely based onthe models today. The professionals have better access, but we'll see what they say. This pudding may be badly over egged, but time will tell.

saffron22 wrote: »
    Is it just me or does Evelyn sound like she has no idea

Its just you. She is definite about what she can be definite about. She is professing uncertainty where uncertainty exists, i.e. a battleground scenario at +84 hours. As a scientist would you like her to bullsh1t you?

heffoo wrote: »

On the contrary she was hedging all statements and walking herself back from her radio statements earlier today, and injecting real ambiguity to the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭spoonerhead

Just watching Six One and there is no doubt, no doubt at all that Evelyn’s body language has changed from earlier and the extent Of any blizzard on Thursday is looking a lot less impactful and probable to the boffins in Glasnevin.

Did you watch the same news? She went for it and I think she’s right this time

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

I think the Eagle may have just had his Michael Fish moment especially after the latest charts from the ECM,:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Not sure if I'm reading the same ECM as you!

Well it’s more the trend but you are right, on closer look it still looks good away from south coasts

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Buffalobill29

I'm getting fed up with the negativity and it is going to snow more than ever, and that's just that!

Did you watch the same news? She went for it and I think she’s right this time

Yes I did watch the same news, and no she didn’t go for it, she hedged everything as possibilities and walked back on her bullish almost certainties of a major event earlier today. Now it is ‘maybe red warnings if necessary’ ‘battleground’, ‘currently most probable’

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

The reporter also asked:

"..and the Beast from the East is going to hook with Emma from the south, is that right?"

It's our very own" Beauty and the Beast!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

For those of you saying game over . Watch the forecast on BBC 1

Yes I did watch the same news, and no she didn’t go for it, she hedged everything as possibilities and walked back on her bullish almost certainties of a major event earlier today. Now it is ‘maybe red warnings if necessary’ ‘battleground’, ‘currently most probable’

Well considering they are seeing the exact same very unpredictable charts as we are seeing with that low moving from east to west to further south then further north, what do you expect her to say? ''Oh 100% snow for the entire country buried totally!'' ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

You're clearly not used to Evelyn's forecasts, if you expected her to be jumping out of her seat, well that's just not Evelyn!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

What can be done to stop pipes from freezing? :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

JCX BXC wrote: »
    You're clearly not used to Evelyn's forecasts, if you expected her to be jumping out of her seat, well that's just not Evelyn!

If you want to see Evelyn get animated, you say two words. Ken Ring.

Well considering they are seeing the exact same unpredictable charts as we are seeing, what do you expect her to say? ''Oh 100% snow for the entire country buried totally!'' ?

In effect that was the line this morning at least for East coast. Look I can smell the wavering with the Met people on this, I am certain this whole blizzard of the century has an element of marginality which output contines to trend toward. ECM more progressive on its 12z than its 00z to my eye too.

I’m just saying what I see objectively. I still think it will snow but not a 1982 job

In effect that was the line this morning at least for East coast. Look I can smell the wavering with the Met people on this, I am certain this whole blizzard of the century has an element of marginality which output contines to trend toward. ECM more progressive on its 12z than its 00z to my eye too.

I’m just saying what I see objectively. I still think it will snow but not a 1982 job

And your entitled to that opinion on here, but expecting forecasters that could shut an entire country down to make full assumptions on this system on the news that the majority of the country is most likely watching isn't going to happen. Its very uncertain and she said it exactly as it is

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭harr

Terrible mixed comments from some forecasters today from hyping it up today to a big maybe this evening...some lad in tv3 earlier saying it’s not going to be anything special or extraordinary, no wonder some people not taking it very seriously..

• Advertisement

If you want to see Evelyn get animated, you say two words. Ken Ring.

Shudder.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement