Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

leahyl wrote: »
    Why would he say that? Isn’t he the head forecaster? Or one of them anyway. How can he see it so differently?

The Eamon Dunphy of weather?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Creative83

On met.ie for tomorrow...

"Cloud will increase during the day and outbreaks of rain and sleet will spread eastwards across the country."

Surely they mean westwards??!?!?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,833 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

leahyl wrote: »
    Why would he say that? Isn’t he the head forecaster? Or one of them anyway. How can he see it so differently?

He's not no, but he is the Yoda of Gerry Murphy.

In fairness, he did emphasise the "question mark" over later events in the week, that call on precip turning back to rain is brave enough given the fine margins

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭giveitholly

I think Met Eireann do a great job but we had Evelyn on earlier stating a red warning the most serious weather there can be and then the eagle seems to dismiss it. No wonder people get confused.

Fully agree

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Larbre34 wrote: »
    He's not no, but he is the Yoda of Gerry Murphy.

In fairness, he did emphasise the "question mark" over later events in the week, that call on precip turning back to rain is brave enough given the fine margins

Do they have access to the runs before us mere mortals see them ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭squarecircles

This country is great at ambiguity and coyness,mixed messages,
    Even today at the press conference Evelyn was trying to avoid questions from the media,at one stage she giggled and said it might not be too bad but could be worse than 82 before desperately trying to back away from the podium.

Like jaysus can they not commit.

Now we've had some met eireann forecaster on tv3 down playing the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Drumpot wrote: »
    The Eamon Dunphy of weather?

2010 was a great great weather but 2018 is just a faker.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

This is getting confusing now, meh I’m so tired from weather watching...lol

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

Completely at odds with Evelyn! Must have had different meetings!

Bit like these threads so.

A snow shovel anyone? Has other uses too

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Creative83 wrote: »
    On met.ie for tomorrow...

"Cloud will increase during the day and outbreaks of rain and sleet will spread eastwards across the country."

Surely they mean westwards??!?!?!?

Yip....that's a mistake!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭DaithiMa

Breeze has completely died down here a few miles to the North East of Tuam. Starting to feel colder. Clouds slowly creeping Westward all day. No precipitation yet. Photo taken looking West with Croagh Patrick visible just where the clouds break.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭kingshankly

The eagle on radio one
    Not much snow Friday because it will all turn back to rain

Happy days (sorry very selfish)supposedly bringing the kids to Disneyland Paris Friday
    I am dreading the journey to the airport

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

The Eagle has just gone and justified why people are complacent. The mixed messages today from ME doesn't look great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

1982 wasn't a patch on 1947 in terms of snow, they mentioned 1982 on the news...we need more programs about the 1947 event.

Do they have access to the runs before us mere mortals see them ?

Good question, but AFAIK they use a much narrower suite of models

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Why would met eireann forecasters be contradicting each other? Just so bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,223 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Grandeeod wrote: »
    The Eagle has just gone and justified why people are complacent. The mixed messages today from ME doesn't look great.

The mixed messages reflect the uncertainty.

You are looking at a Cup Final between two evenly matched teams, where nature will decide the outcome, and you are asking someone for a definitive outcome. They can tell you who they expect to win, but they can't tell you who will win.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

RobertKK wrote: »
    1982 wasn't a patch on 1947 in terms of snow, they mentioned 1982 on the news...we need more programs about the 1947 event.

Of course not, 1947 was more than a month long of continuous easterlies and heavy snow. 1982 was a week of very cold temperatures and huge snow from one event at best. No comparison there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Latest ECM is not a good move for Friday and may we’ll be why the Eagle sounded confident but still plenty of time before Friday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Sight808

Without adding to the hype, I picked up some 5L bottles of water in spar, already selling out of them near me. Just don't leave it too late people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

Graupel or Shleet hi?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Casualsingby

The eagle on radio one
    Not much snow Friday because it will all turn back to rain

Snow warning for NI Friday. Who knows maybe colder air will be harder to shift. Best waiting until Wednesday.

Why would met eireann forecasters be contradicting each other? Just so bizarre.

Disagreement on interpretation, presumably, but why the head of forecasting doesn't cast the deciding vote in favour of a likely outcome I do not know.

Anyway, Evelyn is on the 6-1 in a couple of mins, we'll get the latest bit of disagreement!

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭dubal

Just confirmed Evelyn will be doing the 6 one weather!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

dubal wrote: »
    Just confirmed Evelyn will be doing the 6 one weather!

Not sure she’ll be doing the weather, but she’ll be in studio to discuss the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Duggie2012 wrote: »
    Why are people running to the shops todays ffs. Its not the outback.

Well it's probably down to all this talk about it being like 1982 when the army had to drafted in to get food and supplies out to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Villain wrote: »
    Latest ECM is not a good move for Friday and may we’ll be why the Eagle sounded confident but still plenty of time before Friday

Not sure if I'm reading the same ECM as you!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭osheen

Sight808 wrote: »
    Without adding to the hype, I picked up some 5L bottles of water in spar, already selling out of them near me. Just don't leave it too late people.

No need to panic. All store deliveries are going out as normal Tomorrow. ( work in transport)

• Advertisement

Duggie2012 wrote: »
    Why are people running to the shops todays ffs. Its not the outback.

Really? The shops work to a J.I.T. delivery policy, they have no capacity for big overstocks, especially of perishables. So, if the trucks cant get to the shops, the shops might be open, but we'll all be eating tins of fruit cocktail! See?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement