Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

JCX BXC wrote: »
    And at coastal areas.
    South East corner 1 mile from the sea and I'm going to be SNOWED IN come Wednesday and my boys will have NO school cause I won't be driving them, and the world will be a happier place:P

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Ich bin ein snowman

If u flick through the eastern U.K. regional discussions on net weather you find they still haven’t been properly hit just yet but the sensible few ( who understand the concept of this event evolving relatively slowly over time) are pulling their eyes out with a spoon trying to nail sense into the temples of the naysayers. Have a look at the euro rainfall radar atm....there’s something brewing out east over the North Sea...

Looks like temps will tank over the next couple of days here and the lucky few in the east (not exclusively) will get hit with decent streamers come Wednesday. I’m still optimistic about “Emma” on Thursday bringing a lot more people in on the fun but like the pros I don’t really have a bog where that low will end up...Go on Emma yu good thing, do a massive dump on my back (garden).

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

leahyl wrote: »
    The dynamic is changing in here now...becoming a lot more negative in terms of the likelihood of a good snow event and it’s making me sad :-( I think I’m just gonna see what unfolds and take a break from here - it’s not good for my heart :-P

Cheer up. Just listen to the regulars for another while.

Some of us are drinking wine out the back. The more the merrier

U would never know there could be a snowball fight before we are finished:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

RustyGate wrote: »
    Looks like only a couple of inches there. My experience of the major snowfall of 1982 is of 2 - 3 feet.

Two foot of it was knicked and sold to cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭curmudgeonly

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Easterly. We don't call it the beast from the east for nothing - first in 27 years.

Very cold ground temperatures.

Very cold upper air temperatures.

Very cold air temperatures.

Very low dew points.

Very low wet bulb temperatures.

Very negative AO.

Very negative NAO.

Severe block of high pressure.

Want me to say anymore?

Morals? Say it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Wonder could we leave this nonsense behind and have a current conditions thread with no chat? If there is one please point me that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭RustyGate

Bio Mech wrote: »
    They are real cars. Not dinky cars.
    Ah, but I remember walking on snow drifts where cars were buried underneath. Not Ballymun, but Rathfarnham.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,212 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

policy75 wrote: »
    what has been said on the technical thread time and again is that you simply can see only so far into the future and at the moment that would seem to be upto Friday. Who is likely to win the Storm Emma vs Siberian Tiger fight cannot be determined until closer to the weigh-in. It could be the case that when the hit each other we get an absolute snowmageddon as they fight it out. As to who wins, that can't be determined as of now. Maybe the Siberian sticks he claws in or maybe she whimpers her long way back to Siberia. All will unfold. What are assured of is a decent snowfest that has the potential of becoming a serious snowmageddon. And to be honest, while I like snow as much as the next man, I'm not sure I would like the end results if Siberia knocks out our poor little Emma

I completely agree that there's no way to tell right now. We can only go on what met tell us. My point on this thread is that the next few days are nailed on and like you said last Friday who knows

• Registered Users Posts: 30 newinvestor

If I do get buried in snow i'll come on here and say well done to the lads that predicted it , but realistically lads we are a small island and it's almost impossible to accurately predict our weather far out , small wind changes can change the outlook dramatically , statistically we are very unlikely to heavy snow this time of year and i'd back the statistics over the charts every time , how often are met eireann actually accurate about the weather and they are professionals. we will have cold weather and a bit of snow sleet but noting more is my opinon based on years of experience looking at the weather .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

The wait begins.

Already down to -2 in my part of Carlow and we're eagerly waiting the chaos. We've stocked up well to cover us for the next week and again its due to this forum we are prepared.

Went into super valu on the way home from work for a gawk, and it was a bit mental in there.

I got a few funny looks when I walked out with just a box of Maltesers under my arm.

All thats missing is an MT Cranium evenning update to ramp things right back up again :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

If u flick through the eastern U.K. regional discussions on net weather you find they still haven’t been properly hit just yet but the sensible few ( who understand the concept of this event evolving relatively slowly over time) are pulling their eyes out with a spoon trying to nail sense into the temples of the naysayers. Have a look at the euro rainfall radar atm....there’s something brewing out east over the North Sea...

Looks like temps will tank over the next couple of days here and the lucky few in the east (not exclusively) will get hit with decent streamers come Wednesday. I’m still optimistic about “Emma” on Thursday bringing a lot more people in on the fun but like the pros I don’t really have a bog where that low will end up...Go on Emma yu good thing, do a massive dump on my back (garden).

Glad you added the brackets on the last word there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭NewMrs2b

Would anyone have a good app to follow this as it develops? Have seen some comments 're some apps not being accurate.

Loving all the posts (well except for the trolls!) My hubby was sceptical until yest evening when I got him to read the technical thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Ah for god sake, stop mentioning the word downgrade. You'll start world war 3 in here by doing so.

It's mad. Calling it a downgrade is like saying winning 1 million Euros in the lottery is a downgrade from winning 3 million. People just hear that word and think it means what it means every other year.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭TECH85

Trolls and clowns landing in numbers here today ! Cant ye all head off to after hours or somewhere and talk through yer arse’ to each other there ;-/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

RustyGate wrote: »
    Ah, but I remember walking on snow drifts where cars were buried underneath. Not Ballymun, but Rathfarnham.

I think there was a lot of drifting. In some areas only a few inches lay as a lot had been blown into drifts. Around there in the mun it’s pretty open so a lot might not have settled

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

NewMrs2b wrote: »
    Would anyone have a good app to follow this as it develops? Have seen some comments 're some apps not being accurate.

To be honest the answer is no, in my opinion none are particularly accurate. YR is said to be good, but for my location I find the expected temperatures not to be accurate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Folks. No real activity due for a day or 2 yet. Thread would be a lot tidier if people realised this and stopped updating us all about the lack of snow in your town.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

jasper100 wrote: »
    My point exactly. These things get hyped out of hand both here and in the national media for it to eventually be a thing of nothing.

Anybody who points this out is branded "a troll" for not swallowing the hype hook, line and sinker.

No it’s not hyped .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Hooks Golf Handicap

I've figured out what has us all narky.

It's like Christmas but the hype starts earlier every year & your are all worn out by the time it comes.
    Tonight we are washing our turkeys, we are building the dolls houses while drunk & wondering why we didn't pay Halfords the 20 quid to build the kids bike.

None of this will matter tomorrow as it will be Christmas Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

That light snow north of Dublin seems to be dying completely quite quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭squarecircles

I can't wait for the snow streamers to start on the east coast tomorrow night and Wednesday,that should quieten the nay sayers a tad.

East coast going to get a pasting.

Much love from the west coast.Enjoy it!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

JCX BXC wrote: »
    To be honest the answer is no, in my opinion none are particularly accurate. YR is said to be good, but for my location I find the expected temperatures not to be accurate.

Agreed.

Windy.com is pretty good. It just uses GFS or ecm to display their data in a way that is more easily consumable.

I'm not sure how often it's updated though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭thomasj

I've figured out what has us all narky.

Maybe its because there's no bread on the shelves in our local supermarkets ...... :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note: Posters are receiving warnings for constant off topic posts, goading and trolling posts. Read the warning in the OP.

Time to get back on topic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Dev84

Nothing as of yet in kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

I just wonder about if we will get red warning as I think Wednesday will be snowiest day and and going to be a nightmare commute

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

Oh I remember 2010 so well, I lived in a old building on the north side of Cork as a student. No insulation and those old storage heaters. Delighted when Friday hit and was due to get the bus home. I was dreaming of the warmth that devoured you from the range when you opened the back door. Walked from the north side to the bus station in -6 as fast as I could, to find my bus had been cancelled. The walk back I'll never forget. I sat next to that storage heater in three layers of clothes all evening.

Let's truly look out for each other and make sure no-one gets left outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Dev84 wrote: »
    Nothing as of yet in kildare.

Don't know whether to laugh or cry at this :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

MOD NOTE

This is a busy thread and as a result the Mod Team will be taking a zero Tolerance approach to trolling, flaming and personal abuse.

Don’t say you weren’t warned!!

And please don’t feed - report & let the Mod team deal with Troublesome Posters/Trolls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,925 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

It is inevitable that as things get closer, and some mixed messages seem to be coming from different ME presenters, that people might get nervous.

They don't want to be too giddy but actually are, and are terrified of a downgrade to rain or something snizzly like that.

Yep my inner child is still excited, goodies are in, and whatever happens sure we'll have a great time here.

Negatories are everywhere, they are the cynics against inner childhood!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement