Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Coalition boycotts FCP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

In my experience of committes/groups in ireland is that a lot are set up by good people with the best of intentions to get things done and to promote change. But inevitably and i have seen it happen all to often, there will always be at least one person with an agenda sitting quietly in the back just waiting. Then when the time is right they get into a position of power and gradually steer the committe round to their way of thinking. I have seen this to ruin more than one group. There will always be that type of individual and i dont think that will ever change.
    One possibility is a complete change at the top every 2 years with a ban put on the sitting board to prevent re election but the downside is the high rate of turnover of people.
    I dont know how a group could be set up and run honestly here.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭dto001

I know where you're coming from its always the same but something has to be done or we will all have to join cults and dance around fires kissing butterflies :D in all seriousness its only going to get worse so we have to have something in place to prevent all outdoor sports being destroyed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

I think the best bet is the nargc leading the pack of smaller orgs. They are the biggest shooting org themselves, and have experience of some of the personalities in the scovi.

Yes but the problem with the NARGC (which I have nothing against) is that it also had a hand (not all members) in getting us to where we are today, it looks like they are changing but it happened once so whats to stop it happening again? Also I'm not seeing much activity from them on this. The last update was in February and surely with all this about changing the caliber of rifles for deer they should be on top of it straight away.
    (this is not an NARGC bashing just my thoughts)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

gunny123 wrote: »
    I think the best bet is the nargc leading the pack of smaller orgs. They are the biggest shooting org themselves, and have experience of some of the personalities in the scovi.
    No.

The NARGC are good at representing hunting clubs and hunting interests. They have no clue about Long range, pistol shooting, Olympic stuff, etc. Each discipline has its own representative body and they are all represented on the FCP. The problem is the sub-groups which does not include the other bodies of the FCP and these are vested interest groups where they don't face the same criticism of their proposals because most people n the room are of the same opinion which is usually self serving and not in the best interest of the sport or the shooting community.

Its how we "got" the proposals by the deer alliance for deer stalking, the recent RFD SI, etc.
    solarwinds wrote: »
    One possibility is a complete change at the top every 2 years with a ban put on the sitting board to prevent re election but the downside is the high rate of turnover of people.
    One thing that HAS to happen is to stop supporting the people and the groups that do this [like the so called coalition]. Remember no shooting group/body is an actual "Lawful" thing. IOW they have been self appointed and while about 7 or so have got invitations from the Minister and some funding from the sports council its not something either the Minister or Sports Council would stand by if challenged. IOW the neither Ministers office nor the sports council would "take a side" if a dispute among the groups/bodies arose. They don't care which group they deal with.
    dto001 wrote: »
    Yes but the problem with the NARGC (which I have nothing against) is that it also had a hand (not all members) in getting us to where we are today, it looks like they are changing but it happened once so whats to stop it happening again?
    Yup.

The NARGC have a lot to answer for in allowing their "leadership" to run amok for so many years. They almost destroyed the FCP with a walk out, and they were directly responsible for the creation of the so called coalition. They have since shed the excess weight and are working to better their corner of the sport. So long as they don't allow the same crap to happen again, and focus on the important things, they'll have my support.
    dto001 wrote:
    Also I'm not seeing much activity from them on this. The last update was in February and surely with all this about changing the caliber of rifles for deer they should be on top of it straight away.
    (this is not an NARGC bashing just my thoughts)
    I've said this many times before.

The table thumpers are the ones who make the most noise but do the least. You all know who i'm talking about. They make a huge fuss, walk out of meetings, make unbelievable accusations in the media or on their websites, and are always quick to be in front of the camera.

The other groups are happy to be working, quietly, in the background and actually getting the work done.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Cass wrote: »
    No.

Yup.
    The NARGC have a lot to answer for in allowing their "leadership" to run amok for so many years. They almost destroyed the FCP with a walk out, and they were directly responsible for the creation of the so-called coalition

And then some...Another reason we don't have reloading of ammo here.Was thrown to the wolves along with IPSC and cowboy action shooting by a certain individual.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

yes and trying to close that Pandora's box has been extremely difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

solarwinds wrote: »
    That is precisely what was done by the SSAI to stop the infighting; the SSAI was shut down and the FISA formed in its place, with the entire committee to be the committee of each one of the constituent groups, in turn, for six months apiece.
    Six months after the this was done, it was handed over to the constituent body with the longest record of shouting and as far as I can tell, it has been untouched since without any work done or progress made or communication undertaken with the powers that be.

Some problems just aren't structural.

ps. Guys, leave off on the tree-hugging hippie bunnielovers would you? The worst damage I've seen done to shooting in this country over the last thirty years wasn't done by one of my fellow tree-huggers and their consentual rabbit life partners after a delightful tofu salad, and it wasn't even done by a TD, Senator or councillor, it wasn't even done by a member of the Garda Ballistics Unit; it was done by people who hold firearms certificates and claimed to have our very best interests at heart and who were willing to fight to the last breath to defend our interests, which of course they knew better than we did and of course they were the only men who could do the job, and we all know how that story went and is still going.

Give me the likes of our current president three times a day and twice on Sunday over that, thankyouverymuch (our taoiseach you can keep, not because of any modernism associated with his PR image but because he was a ******* before all of that and remains so to this day with his "party of people who get up early" and their nonsense). Anyone who'll queue up at an ATM with the rest of the little people and who'll still quote greek at Boris Johnson until Johnson has to admit he wasn't really paying attention in Eton, well I have to like a guy like that at least a little bit, even if I'd disagree with him over other stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I can honestly tell you a lot of people in the NARGC want to focus on their core sports. The NARGC was trying to become an NRA of some description and over the years ordinary members where asking themselves why are we getting involved in this, what has this got to do with us.

For too long ever little whisper from the Gardai etc was quickly followed by "this is the thin end of a wedge " and has to be stopped and off ran the NARGC to fight the fight for the shooting man, , while the ordinary shooting man is sitting there going whats this about.... i know nothing about this.

Sparks wrote: »
    Guys, leave off on the tree-hugging hippie bunnielovers would you?
    Erm, nope, but okay on here.

My post in the Off Topic thread regarding Gavin Duffy running for President highlights the attitude of the general population. He is under fire and having to defend himself for his involvement in hunting. Not asking about policies, aims, goals, political stance on certain topics. Just hunting.

The comment left by most on every firearm/hunting related article in the Indo, journal, etc also shows the prevailing attitude of the majority. They attack what they don't understand, won't listen to reasoned debate, and refuse to research the topic and educate themselves. I'm not asking for them all to "come over to the dark side", but for God sake just understand what it is you are attacking and why. Not simply as a virtue signaling/public relations exercise.

I don't want to go off topic, but this thread is itself a sign that our own are the cause of where we are because as you said they have done more damage than anyone else or any other group could possibly do.

The thing is we are under enough of a threat from the select few within our own ranks that seek to privatize and exploit the situation for themselves, but if anything arose which had to be put to a public vote we would lose so fast and hard because of the attitude of the great unwashed (represented by the elected officials we have in office, and is also evident by the laws we have seen enacted over the years including the ridiculous RFD SI).

So while i agree the names used might be seen as petty, vindictive or simply unnecessary, but they are a consequence of frustration born from the fact others hold the power over a sport they are not involved in and simply don't care to understand.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement

Gavin Duffy has more than enough people criticising him because of his policies Cass - like the "I'm not a political candidate" line despite having worked for *both* FF and FG (he worked on Varadkar's leadership campaign), like having said on twitter that he was willing to cross a picket line, and a few other things. Meanwhile the Times was happily defending him this morning via Lucinda Creighton's column and there's a fair few others who'll do so as well as an academic exercise; but he's thrown himself into a daft situation where every major party bar SF is backing Higgins and he's not even managed to get a nomination yet. That's... probably not maximising his chances of winning. Not to mention, he's written opinion pieces on a fair few topics over the years for the Wicklow People and I'm guessing we have 2-3 days before *that* archive gets dug through and some badly aged stuff starts doing the rounds.

And yeah, I do see some people saying we shouldn't vote for Duffy because of the hunting - but leaving aside the people who are making obvious jokes, look at the ones who are *seriously* saying that he's HAI and Hiiggins was listed by ICABS so vote Higgins. Those people are linked to ICABS and neither you nor I would trust anything they said about anything. They're just plain noise. They're not even proper bunnylovers because those are the eejits who released a small tidal wave of mink into the ecosystem doing a fair amount of damage to said bunnys. They're the kind of vegetarians who don't see a problem with eating cod.

And I don't think we should go easy in an effort to appease people, because that doedsn't work. I think we should go easy because these generalisations *literally include me* about 90% of the time (I'm being selfish here, I know, I'm small that way). I *am* left-wing, because I grew up dirt poor and don't happen to think that things like free education and free healthcare and social welfare are bad; I happen to think they're lifesaving safety nets and the quality of them is a good metric of how good a society is. I don't harp on about it much because this isn't a politics forum, but it's still a bit jarring to hear how lefties are the problem with firearms legislation after twenty-odd years of literally watching people who are definitely not lefties and definitely identify as shooters while they run our sports into a grinder again and again and again, doing so much more damage than any member of ICABS or any advocate against private firearms ownership ever dreamed of doing.

I think we shouldn't call them names because every breath pointed in their direction is oxygen on a fire.

Even if half the time the names aren't wrong.

I can honestly tell you a lot of people in the NARGC want to focus on their core sports. The NARGC was trying to become an NRA of some description and over the years ordinary members were asking themselves why are we getting involved in this, what has this got to do with us.

For too long ever little whisper from the Gardai etc was quickly followed by "this is the thin end of a wedge " and has to be stopped and off ran the NARGC to fight the fight for the shooting man, while the ordinary shooting man is sitting there going whats this about.... I know nothing about this.

The joys of cross-pollinated hunting/target shooting membership, and stating that you will fight any legislation or refusal of members firearms applications.:pac:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    The joys of cross-pollinated hunting/target shooting membership, and stating that you will fight any legislation or refusal of members firearms applications.:pac:

I have no issue fighting the good fight when its needed and I agree with the cross pollination and how hunters could also be into clay shooting into pistols etc etc. But it got silly the NARGC was always fighting with the Guards, at least now the NARGC and guards have an open channel to each other.....(Remember the SC put in a complaint about it and the illegal claiming it was illegal or some other petty crap.) Now at least things can be teased out before we run to court.

Indeed hopefully both the PTB and shooters can talk before doing the DC shuffle. But it took a lot of blood, sweat, tears and money by people outside NARGC as well for us to get to this point too. Trouble is or was , taking on some unwinnable, or very dodgy of success cases that almost bankrupted the NARGC.But was the option? Being sued for breach of contract and false advertising by members?

The Stresiand effect (or Doherty effect to keep it irish) is springing to mind right about now.
    Sparks wrote: »
    Gavin Duffy has more than enough people criticising him because of his policies Cass -...............
    I'm not defending the man and to be honest i know very little of him, nor do i wish to. I think the entire idea of the "office of the president" is a joke. It's a ceremonial position that costs the state €5 million per year, is a rubber stamp for legislation, and considering the unelected leader of the Government, along with every other Minister, do their fair share of jet setting i fail to see the need for a president. Also the Seanad but that is another story.

The point i was raising was if someone that thinks their a different gender, or someone who was gay were put under the same scrutiny and attacked for those beliefs just because they were running for public office there would be uproar.

You can have your own beliefs on any issue you want, i'm not trying to shut you up, or anyone else for that matter. However i am sick to my back teeth of these leftists that want to turn every aspect of the country into some sort of Eutopia where things like shooting have no place nor does the idea of firearm ownership. The same people that that say everyone is free to pursue what they want, unless of course its something they don't agree with, then it's "how dare you".

Our politicans don't need excuses to curtail our sport. The so called coalition is an abhorrent excuse of a representative group that only got its foot in the door through almost destroying the FCP, walking away, being thught up by the same peole as an "alternate FCP" and then gained strength through the support of the nasrpc and lots of table banging. They are making secret pacts and inspiring others to do the same to either curtail, privatize, or do away with swathes of our sport and (this is where the leftist mentality comes into it) the Government seizes any ground it can to take yet more from us knowing full well public opinion is not on our side.

In the last few years we've had gay marriage, abortion referendum, etc. and i'm not getting into the pros/cons of those topics here, just naming them to show that Ireland is moving at a fast enough pace as if there was some race to try and overturn decades of what is now classed as backward thinking. This includes civilian firearm ownership. Granted it may not be high on the list of priorities, but if its not our own, then it's the TDs influenced by the prevailing public attitude, and last but not least Europe where we face yet more threats to our sport because of events that fall well and truly outside the remit of sports shooting and that includes hunting not just paper punching. There is a serious leftist (not liberal) attitude that is making a sport that has for the most part been there but never seen all the more difficult to maintain.

I can't and could not be arsed trying to convince a non shooter to understand our sport. The bigger concern right now is the topic of this thread, the so called coalition. It's continued existence is an affront to me, but for some unknown reason the nasrpc and other small groups continue to support it.

It needs to be stopped and then disbanded by any means.

You can have your own beliefs on any issue you want, i'm not trying to shut you up, or anyone else for that matter. However i am sick to my back teeth of these leftists that want to turn every aspect of the country into some sort of Eutopia where things like shooting have no place nor does the idea of firearm ownership.

I had to laugh recently when Katherine Zappone or whatever her name is wanted the number of tickets to the popes visit, capped in case it caused a right wing surge/uprising :rolleyes:.

Yes Ireland has moved on, but i think a lot of it is virtue signalling on the international stage "Look at us, how right on and with it we are". Rather than any actual concern about the issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭berettaman

The Stresiand effect (or Doherty effect to keep it irish) is springing to mind right about now.

I can't and could not be arsed trying to convince a non shooter to understand our sport. The bigger concern right now is the topic of this thread, the so called coalition. It's continued existence is an affront to me, but for some unknown reason the nasrpc and other small groups continue to support it.

It needs to be stopped and then disbanded by any means.

That is the nub of it. The Sports Coalition of vested interests is a shadow of what it was intended to be, and the smart ones pulling the strings have already started to get their feet under the table elsewhere.

NASRPC and Fissta need to have a look at themselves in my opinion. If you let them, SCOVI, use your logo you are giving them credence. It is as simple as that.

I have outrage fatigue.

Reading the Journal the ICABS are "outraged" that Duffy is running for present. As a citizen of the republic over the age of 35 he has every right to run.

Imagine if, say, Irish council against hurling made a statement that it was outraged that Henry Shefflin was running for President.

To me it is as simple as that. If you do not understand something then why are you against it. I am sick to the back teeth of people with blue hair and piercings telling me that hunting is not natural.:mad:

10,000 years ago Tesco didn't deliver..rant over.

ICABS is "outraged" at everything anyway on a daily basis.
    They have to try and make media capital out of every event because they are in reality a non-entity of old dears and frozen-faced beta males.
    15,254 likes of their FB page, 15,00 following their page.
    Dublin /Meath hunt sabs 1.512 followers.
    NARA 9,402 likes and 9,236 followers.
    Sounds impressive, doesn't it?
    Until you go and see that these are Global likes and followers.

But when it comes to where the rubber meets the road, where the Hell are they when it comes to putting bodies on the streets if they have such claimed numbers?

It's like the US elections in 2016. Everyone said Trump wouldn't win and left it to someone else to vote. Irrespective of the electoral college system...[Which works fine when a Democrat president is voted in, but is outdated and archaic and needs changing when a Republican wins... Strange that] So if these groups have this strength s they would profess from their fakebook followers...Why isn't field sports banned and we are all eating tofu down in our local re-education centre? Fakebook strength is not much good in the really real world when you need bodies in the election booth or where it counts.

We OTOH, need to keep doing three things, Vote,in our organisations,and on local, national and EU level for those who would support us and turn up the volume whenever there is an attack on us. We have shown we can punch above our weight class here in Ireland over the last few years with the right leadership and directions. Our biggest enemies are ourselves and apathy, we need to do a "night of the long knives" on those who would seek to profit for personal gain, and make it be known that those in charge of our sport are there for a limited term, and will be held to account for their decisions actions and inactions.

Whether we like it or not,if you shoot a gun here or anywhere in the Western World anymore,you have to get active in promoting your sport, win hearts&minds, and we have to get political.,on a local, national and EU level.

Anyhoo.
    Following all of this ...what IS the current status with who or whom is sitting on the FCP? What has happened to this proposed Firearms something, Arbitration Authority? and what is being currently discussed or what sort of problems could be discussed?

Grizzly 45 wrote:
    We OTOH, need to keep doing three things, Vote,in our organisations,and on local, national and EU level for those who would support us and turn up the volume whenever there is an attack on us. We have shown we can punch above our weight class here in Ireland over the last few years with the right leadership and directions. Our biggest enemies are ourselves and apathy, we need to do a  "night of the long knives" on those who would seek to profit for personal gain, and make it be known that those in charge of our sport are there for a limited term, and will be held to account for their decisions actions and inactions.

Whether we like it or not,if you shoot a gun here or anywhere in the Western World anymore,you have to get active in promoting your sport, win hearts&minds, and we have to get political.,on a local, national and EU level.
    The Questions are How? and Who?
    Maybe a list of politicians who support us should be made available and all groups should start promoting the various sports because the biggest advertisement we have is not running this year (the Game fair) and in fairness to the NARGC they seem to be pushing clay shoots on their pages I'm not sure what the other groups are doing and its a start.
    But even if the various associations etc.  don't agree with each other on various issues they must at least agree that all sides of shooting are under threat at the moment from all sides especially from outraged keyboard warriors on Facebook and the media. So they should start to promote the sport and show that we are not criminals we are law abiding citizens who enjoy a sport and actually look after the countryside (there are always bad apples in every sport) 
    There used to be a Guard around where I grew up and he used to ask the boys out lamping foxes if they'd seen anything suspicious going on and he's have all the info he needed. And wasn't it a couple of hunters who stopped that fella with the girl in the boot of his car in Wicklow, if hunting was banned then there would be a different out come to that case.
    All shooting/fishing/Hunting sports should be promoted in a good way that anti from limerick seems to get an awful lot of air time and there is never any proper rebuttal I think i heard one fella once saying that all foxes should be killed as they are vermin which does not help at all.

• Advertisement

dto001 wrote: »
    All shooting/fishing/Hunting sports should be promoted in a good way that anti from limerick seems to get an awful lot of air time and there is never any proper rebuttal I think i heard one fella once saying that all foxes should be killed as they are vermin which does not help at all.

The fact the anti's get air time is not an accident. Neither is the fact anytime anything to do with hunting or shooting is on pravda (rte) the government propaganda channel, we get whitewashed. A fairly recent so called primetime on gun ownership was a one sided joke.

The papers are the same, but who buys them anymore ? Buy the Irish Times to listen to the waffle from the d4/university lecturer bubble, or, gawd help us, Fintan the tool ?

berettaman wrote: »
    That is the nub of it. The Sports Coalition of vested interests is a shadow of what it was intended to be, and the smart ones pulling the strings have already started to get their feet under the table elsewhere.

NASRPC and Fissta need to have a look at themselves in my opinion. If you let them, SCOVI, use your logo you are giving them credence. It is as simple as that.

I have outrage fatigue.

Reading the Journal the ICABS are "outraged" that Duffy is running for present. As a citizen of the republic over the age of 35 he has every right to run.

Imagine if, say, Irish council against hurling made a statement that it was outraged that Henry Shefflin was running for President.

To me it is as simple as that. If you do not understand something then why are you against it. I am sick to the back teeth of people with blue hair and piercings telling me that hunting is not natural.:mad:

10,000 years ago Tesco didn't deliver..rant over.

The problem is Berettaman too many people get outraged these days over the wrong things. They take it personal, they wont ever sit down and logically debate weigh up both sides of the argument and maybe agree to disagree over the topic or direction of the argument. It has to be all or nothing, there is no compromise anymore. Its very childish, rash and damaging to your approach or organisation as you can be labelled a nut case or worse. These people just want everyone to see there side of the story and wow betide anyone who disagrees. Unfortunately that approach is contagious.

While we have a terrible record with petitions we need to act now to start reducing/eliminating the influence of the so called coalition.

Petitions among clubs, ranges and online. Then a letter writing campaign sent in by each person to signify numbers. Also letters from various groups, associations, and organisations to the same effect otherwise its just people being annoyed. That will be the biggest hurdle. Getting a group/body with the stones to actual stand up and say we've had enough and put their name to it, but unfortunately the Irish have a habit of shriveling up and withering away when it comes to actual importance stuff and putting their name to it. They sooner just mumble and moan.

However if they won't do then the members can make them do it. That or replace them and get ti done.

Its not alarmist to say if we don't act soon we'll find ourselves struggling to license a 22lr because the SCOVI have said we don't really need them.

Maybe a list of politicians who support us should be made available and all groups should start promoting the various sports because the biggest advertisement we have is not running this year (the Game fair) and in fairness to the NARGC they seem to be pushing clay shoots on their pages I'm not sure what the other groups are doing and its a start.[/QUOT

There is a pic going about FB with a man and a woman sitting in a restaurant on a 1st date.T he man says "Hello I'm an honest politician. The girl says "Hello I'm a 21 yr old prostitute and a virgin!":P
    In credit to the ladies of the night,at least they are doing it for money and will do whatever they are being paid for and make no bones about the money side of it. A politician OTOH will say they will do it if there is a big enough vote in it, still, screw you, and then dress it up in some sort of morality or excuse and tell you they didn't or cant do it because...

I wouldn't expect our lot to help us out here with anything unless it is the election year, and TBH I really think we dodged a bullet in 2013 with the last general election with the Dail public enquiry as well.
    We are on our own on a lot of this. As for PR, every single one of us should be trying to win hearts and minds to get at least one person into the shooting community every year. That alone would be a superb achievement.NASRPC women on target is a fantastic programme. Why don't we have one for kids?That's where our future shooters are going to be.

So they should start to promote the sport and show that we are not criminals we are law-abiding citizens who enjoy a sport and actually look after the countryside (there are always bad apples in every sport) 

Good point in theory, but in practice...Has any gun club or game shoot for example gone and laid a line of gone wild whitethorn hedge along a farmers road frontage that they have had a shoot for years? For free? Laid hedges are actually one of the best eco corridors and covers for all sort of wild animals and birds.It's also less damaging than using a machine. Not to mind, it looks more appealing. Stick a sign on the end saying" Hedge laid by XYX gun club to improve nature and biodiversity". a happy farmer with a free stock proof fence, happier nature, and good PR for the gun club.

Trouble is this is WORK and we all know the 3% rule applies in any Irish organisation. And of course, this won't appeal to the "Nov 1st/Jan 31st" members" either. Were you on a shooting let on the continent, this sort of work would actually be considered a matter of course in keeping a good relationship with the local farmers, who do take an interest in who they have shooting in their areas.
    If we say we are looking after the countryside, we had better start acting like we do and not just give it lip service.:(

And wasn't it a couple of hunters who stopped that fella with the girl in the boot of his car in Wicklow, if hunting was banned then there would be a different outcome to that case.
    Happened in Cratloe Co Clare as well.But look at the grilling both good Samaritans got, because they were out shooting. It was almost implied they were the bad guys. Yes, we are a potential asset,but what good is it, if the local AG is a city boy on his first promotion outside suburbia where he grew up in and has a head full of modern policing methods and such concepts are as alien to him as hieroglyphics from Atlantis to the rest of us?:(
    l shooting/fishing/Hunting sports should be promoted in a good way that anti from limerick seems to get an awful lot of airtime and there is never any proper rebuttal I think i heard one fella once saying that all foxes should be killed as they are vermin which does not help at all.

John "Streaker" Carmody of ARAN fame...Yeah, ARAN is defunct and John and his bevvy of beauties has decamped[not referring to his sexual orientation there] to pastures or causes new. So if this is such a thing, how does an anti org with media coverage fold up? Guess they learned another thing, it costs money to keep campaigns going.
    The only reason he got media coverage is that he was doing photo op stunts that got media attention and somewhat "risque".Having good looking girls getting their kit off in Cruises st to protest fur is good space filler, except it became a cliche as it has been done a few thousand times before.

Become known enough, and you can become the first media port of call for a comment on your particular subject. On our side, it would have been "you know who can't be mentioned here", and who is our new spokesman/woman who the Irish media will be picking up the phone to talk to if there is an event?? This should be a 1st priority job for anyone who is handling PR /Media in an organisation. Build media contacts so they have a channel for their side of the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Backbarrel

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Anyhoo.
    Following all of this ...what IS the current status with who or whom is sitting on the FCP? What has happened to this proposed Firearms something, Arbitration Authority? and what is being currently discussed or what sort of problems could be discussed?

I think this is a good question. Back from holiday and SCOVI are still a thing.

Minister knew he was dealing with sock puppets of you know who.

Surprised the firearm dealers did not have a tell all comprehensive Press release ready to nail the feckers.

I am up for a petition but we need something with more impact.
    An open letter to Minister for Justice signed by all normal shooting Associations?
    By normal I mean those with (more than a handful) actual members!!

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭wirehairmax

It’s been too quiet and now this: http://www.sportscoalition.org/fcp-revised-structure-181018/

WTF now?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Wexshot1

It’s been too quiet and now this: http://www.sportscoalition.org/fcp-revised-structure-181018/

WTF now?

Looks like the Coalition have been booted to only being part of the pistol and target part of the FCP

Good to see the Firearms Dealers finally being recognised and getting a seat at the table.
    Lots more work to do though to stamp out those boys once and for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭wirehairmax

How in the name of god were they let back in? Does it mean the target and rifle boys are stuck with them and they’re going to stay the hell out of hunting matters? Don’t know whether to feel sorry for them or not, after all if you lay down with dogs you get up with fleas

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Wexshot1

How in the name of god were they let back in? Does it mean the target and rifle boys are stuck with them and they’re going to stay the hell out of hunting matters? Don’t know whether to feel sorry for them or not, after all if you lay down with dogs you get up with fleas

Political buddy’s are a great help to some of these guys.
    One in particular was seen in the Fine Gael tent at the ploughing match this year prancing around as if he owned the place.
    Corrupt Ireland !!!

• Advertisement

More importantly, this is the FCP being made permanent. That part's good news. The SC part... well, that can be fixed. The FCP - and thus consultation with shooters, rather than dictating to them from on high - becoming the norm rather than an exception, that's far, far more important.

Advertisement