Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is someone within their rights to move you out of a prebooked seat?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

Yeah I'll just add another fiver a day to the 4 grand I already pay for the privelege shall I ?

Also to add to that, there is no option to pay extra for a prebooked seat on an annual ticket. Its one price...

• Subscribers Posts: 171 ✭✭Night Falls

oxygen wrote: »
    Also to add to that, there is no option to pay extra for a prebooked seat on an annual ticket. Its one price...

You can pay online as and when you want one.

Taxsaver tickets are incredible value though. Just had a look there and a Cork to Dublin annual ticket is 5,050, so if you work that out based on, say, 45 weeks of travelling, that works out at just over 11 euro a trip gross, so depending on your tax band you could be travelling for a net cost of 5.50 each way. Adding in the fiver for booking your seat that is still well below the cost of the cheapest online fare available.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The seat reservation is not without cost - you only get it if you book a specific train in advance. You are thus committing yourself to a specific train whereas those with passes have flexibility. Miss the train in question and you have to buy a whole new ticket (unless you have a flexi ticket, which again costs more).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Taxsaver tickets are incredible value though.

Only if you are on the higher rate of tax.

Emme wrote: »
    Only if you are on the higher rate of tax.

Not really, going back to the cork example, even comparing tax saver gross cost to the cheapest fare online (which obviously doesn't give you the flexibility that you'd have with taxsaver), it's significantly cheaper on a per-trip basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,270 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Tax saver tickets are brilliant value I agree (I think mine is about 650 a year for luas and bus).

Booked seats are definitely red in the enterprise lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Yeah I'll just add another fiver a day to the 4 grand I already pay for the privelege shall I ?

Ok, so ditch the season ticket and book single trips, problem solved.

gmisk wrote: »
    Tax saver tickets are brilliant value I agree (I think mine is about 650 a year for luas and bus).

Booked seats are definitely red in the enterprise lol

Most people who have problems pay €3K or more and have commutes of more than an hour.

UPDATE: I am on a train and it is less than 2 minutes to departure. Several booked seats are empty and the aisles are full of standees.

The people who booked the seats clearly don't value them enough to sit in them and don't care about inconveniencing others. It happens on every train journey. The current system of booking seats does not work and it will have to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Are you only going one way or are you getting a discount on that as well?

He has already paid handsomely to travel on the train all year so why should he have to book a seat? People who travel on the train once or twice a year and book a seat at no extra cost think they can push regular commuters around.

It is disgraceful the way Irish Rail treats regular commuters.

I get the feeling that you believe that you have a higher status as a commuter just because you have an yearly ticket. You don't, you are the same as anyone else on that train no matter what ticket type you have.. It's coming across as snobbery just because you have a yearly ticket.

• Advertisement

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Are you only going one way or are you getting a discount on that as well?

Irish Rail don't value paying passengers. Perhaps that is why they are in dire straits. If they started treating their paying passengers with respect (one off journeys or annual pass holders) and geared their service towards these people their fortunes would change.

Keep putting down paying passengers at the expense of those who travel for free and you will sink further and further into the red.

Most people who have problems pay €3K or more and have commutes of more than an hour.

UPDATE: I am on a train and it is less than 2 minutes to departure. Several booked seats are empty and the aisles are full of standees.

The people who booked the seats clearly don't value them enough to sit in them and don't care about inconveniencing others. It happens on every train journey. The current system of booking seats does not work and it will have to change.
    Sit down then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

If the train pulls out and the seats are still occupied, sit in one and be prepared to move if the person that booked it shows up.

Why is that simple course of action apparently so hard for you to grasp?

I get the feeling that you believe that you have a higher status as a commuter just because you have an yearly ticket. You don't, you are the same as anyone else on that train no matter what ticket type you have.. It's coming across as snobbery just because you have a yearly ticket.

I consider myself to have the same status as anybody else who pays to travel on the train.

Irish Rail don't value paying passengers. Perhaps that is why they are in dire straits. If they started treating their paying passengers with respect (one off journeys or annual pass holders) and geared their service towards these people their fortunes would change.

Keep putting down paying passengers at the expense of those who travel for free and you will sink further and further into the red.

Someone still pays for the free travel..

I consider myself to have the same status as anybody else who pays to travel on the train.

But above anyone with a travel pass?

Someone still pays for the free travel..

Taxpayers aka those who pay for annual travel passes or people employed in Ireland who buy one-off tickets.

Seriously, you need to get off the keyboard and start looking at how you can improve your shambles of a system.

Snobbery and begrudgerly is alive and kicking i see.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Bambi wrote: »
    You can thank Irish rail for this particular fustercluck, their reservation displays are a shambles

It's Ireland. Fusterclucks are standard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Autochange wrote: »
    It's Ireland. Fusterclucks are standard.

But I find that's also the people.
    In most European countries systems work, be they rules of the road, water charges, queuing, renting and even seat reservation systems.
    It's not that the system is better, but the people don't deliberately set out to subvert, undermine, circumvent or just plain ignore any rules set out for people to be able to live with each other without having to punch people.
    I blame the British occupation.
    The Irish couldn't risk open rebellion, so they had to find clever ways to obey the rules on one hand, but on the other hand do it in such a way that would make a complete shambles out of them. One case in point are no street signs, no numbers on doors or signposts to villages that would disappear completely when you're halfway there. And from a lot of people an almost fanatical resistance to post codes that would make it possible to find "Sean O'Something, The Bog, Curragh, Co. Clare"
    Now that they Brits are gone, they are doing it to each other. And whilst thinking what rebels they are parking in mother and child spaces, ignoring queues, parking on a double yellow and scream blue murder when caught and, yes, keeping a seat that's not theirs.
    Really sticking it to the man. But really just making life that little bit more unpleasant and frustrating for everyone.
    You wouldn't believe how relaxed Germany is, no one will use the left or right turn lane to ho straight on and blow past the queue of 50 waiting cars. No one will jump the queue at the shop. A car on a parent and child space will be occupied by a parent and child.
    And if I reserve a seat somewhere, it will be waiting for me.

I'm just saying.
    About the Brits. I have to give credit. Not a lot of countries were able to get them to leave like that. Respect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Free travel pass holders must pay to reserve a seat. They are not just automatically given one.

Your attitude towards free travel card holders is sickening. I would give anything to not be in the position to need one. I would love to hand whatever you spend on public transport every year if I could because that would mean I would be able to work and would not be dying. Honestly, you don’t know you’re alive.

And as another poster said, if the train has left the station and a reserved seat is empty, sit in it, for god's sake. More than likely that person has sat elsewhere. You are making far too big a deal about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I travel quite a bit on Irish rail for work. The reservation system does cause a fuss but it seems to settle down very quickly once the train is moving. I have seen it ( Tues this week in fact) where reserved notices appeared a few minutes before departure even though plenty had boarded the train at that stage. I was on a train a few months ago where they loaded the incorrect names, those for a different train, which caused mayhem!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Ok, so ditch the season ticket and book single trips, problem solved.

Jesus f***ing wept.

Snobbery and begrudgerly is alive and kicking i see.

Yes, you begrudge those of us with a job who pay tax from getting ANYTHING for that tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Yes, you begrudge those of us with a job who pay tax from getting ANYTHING for that tax.

How do you know the other people on the train dont pay more tax than You?

You get heavily discounted travel, is that not enough for you? Interesting that you think it's the only benefit or service you receive as a result of paying tax though. Also, i'm willing to bet that, shock horror, there are many contributing to this thread who both have a job and also pay tax. You're not special.

You get heavily discounted travel, is that not enough for you? Interesting that you think it's the only benefit or service you receive as a result of paying tax though. Also, i'm willing to bet that, shock horror, there are many contributing to this thread who both have a job and also pay tax. You're not special.

Never thought I was. We deserve a damn sight more than a "discount" on travel ffs.

You deserve more specifically in relation to your irish rail taxsaver ticket, or just in general?

You deserve more specifically in relation to your irish rail taxsaver ticket, or just in general?

I'm really not sure what part of "paying thousands a year just to get to work to pay for the ne'er do wells and "we want everything for free" crowd, who then get to swan on to a packed train a minute before the off and turf a paying customer out of a seat" you don't get as being unfair ??

Other than simple bedrudgery of anyone with a job making a contribution and having to stand for an hour.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,643 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

"we want everything for free" crowd, who then get to swan on to a packed train a minute before the off and turf a paying customer out of a seat"
    i'm getting confused now. in what context can someone who has not paid, get to kick another passenger out of a seat?

Advertisement