Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is someone within their rights to move you out of a prebooked seat?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,682 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

velo.2010 wrote: »
    9.39am. If its, as you say, less busy on the connection then there shouldn't be a problem. It's midweek too.

Mid week you will have no problem sitting in the same coach as the bike which will again be D as far as Mallow.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,104 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

TherapyBoy wrote: »
    Is there a minimum amount of time before the train leaves where I can pre-book a seat. If I get on the train 5 minutes before departure & all the seats are taken can I go online & pre-book a seat then?

Online bookings cease an hour before departure iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Ursummupet

PARlance wrote: »
    Online bookings cease an hour before departure iirc.

They don't cease. I think it's 39.99.

The .99 makes it a bargain.

Ursummupet wrote: »
    They don't cease. I think it's 39.99.

The .99 makes it a bargain.

No online tickets will be sold 90 minutes before departure of a particular service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Around 4 years ago I sent an email to Irish Rail complaining that no names were displayed for pre-booked seats. Got a response along the lines of when a train is/is expected to be very busy they switch them off. Well that's the f#cking time you need to book a seat!

Anyway I think they still do this on purpose, they'll say it's a fault on that particular train if you complain but I don't believe them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I reserved a seat a few times, and what I don't like is having my name up there for all the world to see. One time some young lads, kept saying "hi Maggie, nice day Maggie, howya doing Maggie" over and over. Now it was all good natured fun, no malice at all, but I would prefer a reservation number.

madmaggie wrote: »
    I reserved a seat a few times, and what I don't like is having my name up there for all the world to see. One time some young lads, kept saying "hi Maggie, nice day Maggie, howya doing Maggie" over and over. Now it was all good natured fun, no malice at all, but I would prefer a reservation number.

Option has been introduced after a complaint around Data Protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭howiya

But if you join mid journey then?

I regularly join the train to Dublin mid journey at Thurles and bar unforeseen journeys would have a seat booked. To date I haven't had a problem. Name is above the seat and nobody has sat in it. Maybe I've been lucky but no complaints so far

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

I can't believe people actually debate this kind of stuff. I mean, if I book a seat its usually for a reason, I don't want to be left without a seat going on a long journey, or I need the table for work in a 4 seater. If I don't need it I don't book it. So why would I then deny some one who bothered to book it, the seat I've sat in? It doesn't matter about the rules to be honest. I would think someone who refused to move was just being a complete ***** if I'm honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,227 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

My seat number is on my ticket. I’d be taking my seat which I paid for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Klonker wrote: »
    Around 4 years ago I sent an email to Irish Rail complaining that no names were displayed for pre-booked seats. Got a response along the lines of when a train is/is expected to be very busy they switch them off. Well that's the f#cking time you need to book a seat!

Anyway I think they still do this on purpose, they'll say it's a fault on that particular train if you complain but I don't believe them.

That's bull that they switch them off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

I've yet to have a satisfactory answer as to why someone who gets to travel for free gets a guaranteed seat and someone - me - who pays E4,050 for travel does not, unless prepared to pay even more.

Under no logic is that right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I've yet to have a satisfactory answer as to why someone who gets to travel for free gets a guaranteed seat and someone - me - who pays E4,050 for travel does not, unless prepared to pay even more.

They don't, they have to pay a fiver for a seat same as yourself.

They don't, they have to pay a fiver for a seat same as yourself.

I think just because they have paid at a discount in advance for the year, they think it gives them first dips on the seats.

Under what logic should you get a seat ahead of someone that's reserved one?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

One day you will be the one traveling for free and some jumped up young buck in your seat will say the exact same thing to you. :D;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭trellheim

I'm on the 14:25 from Cork to Heuston while typing this.

It is rammed full but reservations are up on the signage and everything seems to be going ok.
    ( apart from some fkhead smoking from Mallow to LJ )

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭lorcand1990

Tenigate wrote: »
    The paragraph the op quoted states the reservation is only valid if the customer turns up 20 minutes before departure. That's fair.

Also brings up the issue about someone who has prebooked a seat from a station midway through a trains journey

Hypothetically, say I book a seat going from Athy to Heuston. That train has started in Waterford & may well have someone sitting in the seat I prebooked by the time the train reaches me. What happens in that case as clearly I can't board before Athy to claim the seat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

If someone is sitting in your pre-booked seat and refuse to move, sit on their lap. I haven't had to do it yet but i've seen other people on boards say it effective!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It's always really stupid when somebody turns up early, there are no seats assigned so they sit down, the train fills completely and then the indicator comes on so they have to stand instead of all the other people who arrived later without a reservation and happened to luckily pick an unassigned seat.

• Advertisement

zetalambda wrote: »
    If someone is sitting in your pre-booked seat and refuse to move, sit on their lap. I haven't had to do it yet but i've seen other people on boards say it effective!

I've started using the train for trips to Dublin as its now more convenient than driving. I always book my seat. I'm over 20 stone..............That's going to be one very sore lap

and yes, I would, I paid for the seat, I'm taking it. If someone wishes to remain in it, grand, softer seat for me

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Get the train to Dublin from Cork a bit. Every single journey I see people get on and they get to a seat and stare at the reserved seating sign which clearly doesn't have their name on it. Usually comment to their fellow traveller, "shur let's sit here, they mightn't show up" or something to that effect. Then when the person with the booked seat shows up, you get tutting and dramatics from the people in the seat. Every time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

A free travel pass user still has to pay a reservation fee for the seat

You too will have a travel pass one day.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

madmaggie wrote: »

You've always been able to change your displayed name when booking to whatever you like (I always use an initial and surname) and as another poster had said, you can choose to display the reservation number now instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

It's always really stupid when somebody turns up early, there are no seats assigned so they sit down, the train fills completely and then the indicator comes off so they have to stand instead of all the other people who arrived later without a reservation and happened to luckily pick an unassigned seat.

This gets my goat too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

i thought that unreserved seats were in a different section to reserved ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭trellheim

no. For example yesterday , on my train, in the groups of 4 seats, 2 might be reserved, and 2 free.

Some coaches may be unreserved though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

trellheim wrote: »
    no. For example yesterday , on my train, in the groups of 4 seats, 2 might be reserved, and 2 free.

Some coaches may be unreserved though.

well quite obviously all the seats available to reserve may not have been taken up, in which case they can be taken up by people with no reservations,but I believe that there are separate reserved and unreserved areas as I said.

People without reservations should be directed first to the appropriate coaches,passengers tend to pile in to the first door they come to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

lawred2 wrote:
    Is this a serious question?
    Yes it is, and a very valid one at that, I often wondered about this as well, have prebooked on occasions but didn't read T's & C's, good to know about 20 minutes rule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

Isambard wrote: »
    well quite obviously all the seats available to reserve may not have been taken up, in which case they can be taken up by people with no reservations,but I believe that there are separate reserved and unreserved areas as I said.

People without reservations should be directed first to the appropriate coaches,passengers tend to pile in to the first door they come to.

And as the poster said, it is certainly not the case that all trains have sections dedicated to reserved and unreserved. Take the Rosslare line for example. Generally served by 3 car ICRs if a 22k set, or 4 car 29k. Sometimes there may be a 4 car ICR, I think, but this isn't guaranteed. If I go on to book a ticket on a service there, I can choose any of the 3 cars to reserve in, meaning with a 3 car set there is nowhere dedicated to unreserved seating.

Advertisement