Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam thread 2 (car videos only, no commenting on videos)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I don't see the issue with staying in the lane or flashing, I just think some better anticipation could have been applied here, it seemed more dramatic than it needed to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

A) Because that's the law

B) Because that's responsible, good driving

That's why.

I'd normally agree but the road does meet the M50 just ahead and you need to be in lane 3 to go southbound. The speed is easily well too high though.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭xFROSTY Gx

sightband wrote: »
    flashing a driver with full beams achieves nothing other than showing you are angry, venting your own frustration and endangering other road users. it distracts everyone. did i miss this in my own test "use high beams repeatedly on a driver you are not happy with"...then he brake checks, then some times it doesnt work out like you hoped and there is a pile up.

So if I'm driving in darkness and a car in front of me or coming against me has no lights on, you would consider a flash of my full beams as a sign of anger?
    Rather than a genuine concern for myself and other road users safety. Ok then :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Here's a few clips from past two weeks or so. Enjoy..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

More motorway muppetry. Check out the Volvo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭yannakis

tedpan wrote: »
    Here's a few clips from past two weeks or so. Enjoy..

Love the bit where everyone is in the "fast lane" :D:D

sightband wrote: »
    flashing a driver with full beams achieves nothing other than showing you are angry, venting your own frustration and endangering other road users. it distracts everyone. did i miss this in my own test "use high beams repeatedly on a driver you are not happy with"...then he brake checks, then some times it doesnt work out like you hoped and there is a pile up.

I'd disagree, although I do see where you're coming from.

You'll find people tend to be a little more embarrassed by their actions if they get flashed or an ould toot of the horn to pull them up on things. It also makes them aware that they actually did something wrong and are less likely to repeat it.

Although I can count on one hand the amount of times I've use the horn in the last 6 years of driving, I would flash people regularly, either to warn of hazards, give right of way, or, as in this case, to pull people up on their behaviour or make them aware they could have caused an accident.

Everyone will have their own approach to it, obviously, but I personally have no issue with Delly's flashing.

A) Because that's the law

B) Because that's responsible, good driving

That's why.

A) is correct, however I'd disagree with B). Unnecessarily switching back and forth in your lanes for no purpose doesn't benefit anyone.

I didn't check the times on the video properly, so I'm open to correction, but assuming the van stayed in lane 2, and Delly had passed the van, then delly would have had to have moved into lane 2, and back to lane 3, all in the course of the 12 seconds between the two vehicles (the car he overtakes before the van, and the van itself).

Assume it takes two seconds to cross the marked lines safely, and Delly would have performed two lane switches for a total of 8 seconds driving in lane 2. It doesn't make sense and you're more likely to have an accident switching back and forth than by just staying where you are (assuming no one is trying to get by you).

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

All previous comments are welcomed, good or bad, but will post another van man incident below to move things along. This is one which I fully anticipated, as I see it nearly every day, and yes I was making a point.

delly wrote: »
    I was doing 120 km/h up to the point of the 100 km/h sign officer, did you not see the deceleration?

The stretch of motorway ends, becomes a trilane with left lane for M50 north, middle lane for city (which often has tailbacks to that junction) and rightlane for M50 south. I'm an anal left lane driver to be honest, however in this circumstance we initially had visible traffic in the middle lane driving at substantially slower speeds than me, followed by a mass of traffic entering slowly from the left into lane 1 and 2, therefore to enter these lanes would increase risk of a collision, and considering I am already in the correct lane for M50 free flow. In relation to flashing the driver, as KKV said already, it achieved awareness to the driver that he drove into a lane of traffic at a substantially slower speed. This driver then brake checks me and then proceeds to drive up the behind of a truck after I have backed off to maintain a safe braking distance, resulting in him having to brake again.

So I used google earth to get the exact distance between you passing under the overbridge at the start of the video to passing over the underbridge after the speedlimit decreases, as these were fairly easy landmarks to use.

You were doing over 150km/h. There were 13 seconds between passing under the overbridge to passing over the underbridge. There's 551m between the start of the two and the decrease in the limit happens just over halfway.

551m in 13 seconds = 42m/s or 151.2km/h.

There's also almost 2.5km between the start of the video and where you need to be in lane 3 for M50 south.

I suggest that you

a) Don't exceed the speed limit by 25% (growing to at least 40%?when you seemingly ignore the speed limit changing)

b) Don't use a turn 2.5km ahead as an excuse for not keeping left

c) Don't get frustrated at drivers who drive at the speed limit and aren't anticipating an idiot driving in the same manner as you

You clearly shouldn't have a driving license, especially given your second video.

@KKV: Keep left unless overtaking is good driving anywhere in the world (unless it's keep right), and that includes countries where you can overtake on either side. There was 20 seconds between passing the first car and passing the second.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,203 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Fùckin' hell.
    Things are going a bit too far here!
    Eventually people won't post any videos.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

So I used google earth to get the exact distance between you passing under the overbridge at the start of the video to passing over the underbridge after the speedlimit decreases, as these were fairly easy landmarks to use.

You were doing over 150km/h. There were 13 seconds between passing under the overbridge to passing over the underbridge. There's 551m between the start of the two and the decrease in the limit happens just over halfway.

There's also almost 2.5km between the start of the video and where you need to be in lane 3 for M50 south.

I suggest that you

a) Don't exceed the speed limit by 25% (growing to at least 40%?when you seemingly ignore the speed limit changing)

c) Don't get frustrated at drivers who drive at the speed limit and aren't anticipating an idiot driving in the same manner as you

You clearly shouldn't have a driving license, especially given your second video.

@KKV: Keep left unless overtaking is good driving anywhere in the world (unless it's keep right), and that includes countries where you can overtake on either side. There was 20 seconds between passing the first car and passing the second.
    It's a Boards dashcam thread FFS, not CSI!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Some nice work all the same :D

I'd love to have that kind of time on my hands.

_

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I suggest that you

Was your Google Earth calibrated and certified? If not, your accusation is a slanderous slur! You also fail to take account of the angle of velocity, as well as the ground speed vs air speed difference which can have a 13% bearing on any calculated trajectory. Add to that the radius of the tyres and your calculations are as inaccurate as they get. Shame on you sir! Even your claim of 20 seconds between cars is incorrect, 14 would be more conservative, I can't occupy the same space as them!

All calculating aside however, and having already stated that I am a left lane advocate, it is interesting to see people's view on sticking with the rules and not allowing for environmental differences. This includes a familiar junction with mass joining with a scramble for the m50 lane, this includes the view that all other cars will adhere to expected speed limits, therefore don't expect otherwise. To be in a position that is more unsafe but follows the move left protocol seems a contradiction of the highest order from safety experts, but maybe the lack of ability to adapt is one of our (your) generations biggest flaws.

Anyhow, the mods will be giving out, so suggest the next video should be along shortly.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Throw up some of your own videos so you can really appreciate his good work firsthand!:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

I wish my leaf was capable of 150km/h :(

Patww79 wrote: »

I'd love to have that kind of time on my hands.

_

I'm not particularly intelligent and it took me 3 or 4 minutes max.

It is amusing to see someone breaking the speed limit by 50% and not understanding how that causes incidents such as in the video.

"Oh no, a vehicle that pulled out some distance in front of me didn't accelerate to 50% over the speed limit to accommodate my approach!"

Right, that's terrible, have a pat on the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭ewj1978

The last few posts are some of the best this thread had ever produced.

Yes I know mines not but it was bound to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭lovelyhurler

It is amusing to see someone breaking the speed limit by 50% and not understanding how that causes incidents such as in the video.

"Oh no, a vehicle that pulled out some distance in front of me didn't accelerate to 50% over the speed limit to accommodate my approach!"

Right, that's terrible, have a pat on the head.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Whatever the rights and wrongs - the van still went from slip to lane 3 IN ONE GO.
    This is a regular occurance at this slip road.
    There's a large (well known ) courier warehouse near by and every morning I see their vans - and thise of their subcontractors - make that maneouvre.

Not just a supersleuth but modest as well!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,871 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

In fairness to Delly, why would he move into lane 2, if he's travelling faster than the other traffic, and there's no one behind him? Unnecessarily moving between lanes is more messing about than is really needed, most of the time.

If he's not overtaking, he shouldn't be in the overtaking lane. That's the law. It's this type of attitude which is why drivers in Ireland get such a bad reputation. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Quazzie wrote: »
    If he's not overtaking, he shouldn't be in the overtaking lane. That's the law. It's this type of attitude which is why drivers in Ireland get such a bad reputation. :mad:

Glad you're not a guard!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

zubair wrote: »
    Glad you're not a guard!
    Hope you are not a licensed driver ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,115 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Assume it takes two seconds to cross the marked lines safely, and Delly would have performed two lane switches for a total of 8 seconds driving in lane 2. It doesn't make sense and you're more likely to have an accident switching back and forth than by just staying where you are (assuming no one is trying to get by you).

I disagree.
    You move left unless you are overtaking, if you are not overtaking then you stay left.
    8s is plenty of time to stay in a lane, its over 220M @ 100km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,929 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Yeah so .. heres a compilation for something different

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

GBX wrote: »
    I'm laughing at the cammers, such as Jennifer at 07:34 who slows down when driver reverses out, but decides to mount the kerb and drive around the reversing car. Ends up wrecking her tyre!

There are a lot in these videos who seem to want to be shown to the world regardless of what happens. See a lot speeding towards other drivers just to prove a point. Fools!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭lovelyhurler

GBX wrote: »

An Post van in the first clip? :confused:

Yeah, looks like its in Ireland. Wouldnt be the first time somebody from here got their name in lights on one of these compilations.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

There is a reg of the owner of the video. It's Irish, they just send them to the channel owner.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Was I wrong to flash my full beams here?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement