Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam thread 2 (car videos only, no commenting on videos)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

Mazda 2 driver causing an obstruction by making an illegal entry at Liffey Valley Dublin.

I wish all those old crappy No Entry signs were replaced around the country! I'm not using that as an excuse for that idiotic driving though!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Mazda 2 driver causing an obstruction by making an illegal entry at Liffey Valley Dublin.

So many idiots..

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Some of my own "work" with some repeating crap

• Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

inforfun wrote: »
    Some of my own "work" with some repeating vrap

You don't give an inch lol

fritzelly wrote: »

Well, actually i do. But only for a limited time and then they can **** off.
    Camera at the back would have given the hatching mark ones a bit more context. Both were behind me as the only car for 100's of meters and then when the lanes closes they really felt the need to over take me. 1 actually had the space to merge but for whatever reason didnt. The other one could piss of straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I agree - don't find it all that funny either - when a driver has committed to crossing the centre line to move around parked cars the other driver coming towards them should see this and wait. It works both ways obviously. Also I don't see why drivers don't let another merge into their lane - particularly when that lane is ending - it's just impatient crap -

• Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Pretzill wrote: »
    I agree - don't find it all that funny either - when a driver has committed to crossing the centre line to move around parked cars the other driver coming towards them should see this and wait. It works both ways obviously. Also I don't see why drivers don't let another merge into their lane - particularly when that lane is ending - it's just impatient crap -

Oncoming cars have priority when it's their lane - period. Funny how the other driver apologised for trying it on
    Merge lanes are meant to tell you to merge not rush up to the front where the lane has disappeared

Geez!

Oncoming cars have priority when it's their lane - period. Funny how the other driver apologised for trying it on
    Merge lanes are meant to tell you to merge not rush up to the front where the lane has disappeared

Geez!
    You must give way if an overtaking car has committed. Even if they're being cheeky. :) And yes perhaps without the benefit of seeing the reverse camera the lane merge is annoying for the dashcam driver -
    Probably should have said in general I dislike impatient driving - highlighting what one sees as bad driving isn't always so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Yup agree too. Some day the person you're trying to squeeze out will get distracted and maybe not see you accelerating to control the situation.
    Sure they're aholes if they're cutting in on purpose , but if it only costs 5 seconds off your journey to let em off, then just let em off.

Maybe if it's just 2 solo drivers then game on. But if there are kids/family/friends then definitely just let it goooooo.

Geez!

Just let em off. These mini cut offs only make mere seconds difference to your journey. You'll either meet the numpty again at the next lights or else he'll turn off and go somewhere else so you're back in the same spot again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Feck anyone trying to get ahead one or two cars on a merge.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I agree. I don't think you have done yourself any favours posting those clips inforfun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Only watched the first clip. Other car was already on your side and you went straight for him. What was the point? You could/should have let him come through rather than waiting for him to reverse. Would have been much easier and quicker.

After that i turned it off. Reminded me of those stupid bloody English "BAD DRIVER" vids .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

After watching that video it instantly reminded me of the 'Don't be Dick' campaign. Not sure why... :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Something I think we can all relate to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Some of my own "work" with some repeating crap

The first one is a bit bit iffy, somewhat 50/50, I probably would have yielded unless it's a common occurrence at that location. The rest of them? F*&^ 'em, if more people took the OP's approach the d&^khead practices would die out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Don't see one thing inforfun has done wrong. Every one of them is some twat chancing their arm, so **** them.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Don't see one thing inforfun has done wrong. Every one of them is some twat chancing their arm, so **** them.

Ya but what do you mean by **** em?
    Speed up to get 1 place in front and potentially cause an accident?
    I'd say **** em, and let em off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Ya but what do you mean by **** em?
    Speed up to get 1 place in front and potentially cause an accident?
    I'd say **** em, and let em off.

Nah there's too many arseholes at that now. Soften their cough and maybe make them wind their neck in a bit the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You must give way if an overtaking car has committed. Even if they're being cheeky. :)

Where did you get this from please?

• Advertisement

OK... let me explain a few things.

Clip 1: Yes, that car was already on my side on the road but probably was there already when they left home. Want to play chicken... fine. Yes it was close but seeing they apologised and not picked a fight i think he or she realised they werent winning any trophies there

Clip 2: SUV had been behind me in the overtaking lane doing the same speed as me for a couple of 100 meters (i had amber light with the traffic lights before so apart from SUV, no one else behind me) and when the road goes to 1 lane decides to overtake. And i dont speed up but i just dont hit the brakes in that situation.

Clip 3: VIP who desnt want to wait in line. Accuse me of giving not an inch, see what would have happened if he had tried it with me. Indeed, not an inch. But yeah.. 172 BMW you take less chances than with an French 03 :D

Clip 4: Not sure if anyone thought i did wrong there. Clip was more to point out the twat i did eventually kind of box in, almost causing a head on collision 100 meters before. (might want to go full screen there)

Clip 5: White car i eventually tell to **** off, has ages to merge at the very start of the clip but only decides to do so when i am almost next to him(after very generously making space for Mr UK plate whose lane is about to end).

Clip 6&7: red light runners.

Clip 8: No idea what that tool was doing. overtakes, can merge but hit brakes. I still leave space to move in but he or she doesnt. Then they can go and ... well you know what they can do.
    Get behind me. There wasnt any other car there anyway.

All these are from my daily commute where i get besides this kind of twattery a bonus of 11 speed bumps and 17 traffic lights on a 10 km trip.

But hey... at least i got you all through the night with some discussions :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

Seve OB wrote: »
    I agree. I don't think you have done yourself any favours posting those clips inforfun.

I'm with you, some dreadful driving there.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Patww79 wrote:

Totally agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Patww79 wrote: »

Exactly.

If they're trying to get ahead then ****ing go and do it.
    Don't sit out there waiting for an acre of space, you've already decided that you want to be a dick and get ahead so just commit to it.

Yup agree too. Some day the person you're trying to squeeze out will get distracted and maybe not see you accelerating to control the situation.
    Sure they're aholes if they're cutting in on purpose , but if it only costs 5 seconds off your journey to let em off, then just let em off.

Maybe if it's just 2 solo drivers then game on. But if there are kids/family/friends then definitely just let it goooooo

I 100% guarantee you there is no speeding up to create the situation. I do speed up to get the hell out of there when they are hesitating as with the Avensis. They had their chance, didnt take it, i speed up to get out of the way so they can get behind me.

It is my daily trip. I do let them off quite regularly as well as it is not a matter when or if some twat will try and do that. The only surprising factor on that road is what brand of car it will be this time or whether it is a guy or woman.
    This was a clip that has a 6 week time-span so around 25x times (i sometimes have an alternative route with a railroad crossing i always catch closed) i ended up at that point. And every single time there are people doing the same crap, just not always to me. I posted 2 examples of when they tried to do it to me.
    And i honestly dont care if they are alone in the car, have children with them or they are driving Noah's Ark.

Yesterday some idiot even went through the grass next to the overtaking lane to get 1 car in front. Happend quite a bit in front of me, not sure if the cam got it but it will be in my next highlights if i caught it. There was a garda car who could\should have seen it happening but they werent interested and went over the bridge

Where did you get this from please?

My driving instructor while driving the test route and a similar scenario to the dashcammer here - I did read it on the RSA somewhere too and yes you do have right of way once the obstruction is not on your side of the road - it's once a person has committed you give right of way - but why wouldn't you? Why let someone reverse back, delaying the maneuver even more or worse still probably causing further problems - it's just bullying imo and borderline poor driving.

My driving instructor while driving the test route and a similar scenario to the dashcammer here - I did read it on the RSA somewhere too and yes you do have right of way once the obstruction is not on your side of the road - it's once a person has committed you give right of way - but why wouldn't you? Why let someone reverse back, delaying the maneuver even more or worse still probably causing further problems - it's just bullying imo and borderline poor driving.

Your driving instructor is right. But usually you are talking about more than 1 car being the obstruction when you are talking about being committed.

The thing in my clip is though that he or she "committed" as soon as they had left their own driveway that morning.
    That car was already on "my" side of the road when they really had no business to be there already. By doing so, i was the one going to be bullied.

Your driving instructor is right. But usually you are talking about more than 1 car being the obstruction when you are talking about being committed.

The thing in my clip is though that he or she "committed" as soon as they had left their own driveway that morning.
    That car was already on "my" side of the road when they really had no business to be there already. By doing so, i was the one going to be bullied.

Don't agree - I'm sorry I think with that attitude you were always going to make them reverse. I know sometimes driving can get frustrating and people can be right asses but I think if everyone was a bit more giving on the road we'd all have a better journey to work/home/hospital etc -

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I don't think there is anything in law or Rules of the Road about this. To be honest, it's usually arrogance or chancing their arm by the oncoming driver. As a general rule, I'm loath to encourage or reward this kind of action, as it increases the chances of them doing it again, and again, and again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Don't agree - I'm sorry I think with that attitude you were always going to make them reverse. I know sometimes driving can get frustrating and people can be right asses but I think if everyone was a bit more giving on the road we'd all have a better journey to work/home/hospital etc -

when do you commit? when you can see that your maneuver can be completed safely. the only way that driver could complete the maneuver was if Info stopped therefor the driver commited too early, made bad judgement call or was banking on making Info stop

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement