Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam thread 2 (car videos only, no commenting on videos)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

ganmo wrote: »
    when do you commit? when you can see that your maneuver can be completed safely. the only way that driver could complete the maneuver was if Info stopped therefor the driver commited too early, made bad judgement call or was banking on making Info stop

They had already committed. I'm no expert but say Info was in a test situation - do you think the tester would have patted them on the back or given them some poor marks?

Sharing the road with other drivers is just that sharing the road. A little patience goes a long way - that is all I'm saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Pretzill wrote: »
    They had already committed. I'm no expert but say Info was in a test situation - do you think the tester would have patted them on the back or given them some poor marks?

Sharing the road with other drivers is just that sharing the road. A little patience goes a long way - that is all I'm saying.

what marks would the tester give the other driver?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

Pretzill wrote: »

Why is it always the poster of the video has to be the one who bends over. who supplies his own lube and who takes it up the ar$€ and never the offending a$$hol€ who causes the situation in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭boardz

inforfun wrote: »
    Your driving instructor is right. But usually you are talking about more than 1 car being the obstruction when you are talking about being committed.

The thing in my clip is though that he or she "committed" as soon as they had left their own driveway that morning.
    That car was already on "my" side of the road when they really had no business to be there already. By doing so, i was the one going to be bullied.

I would absolutely without a second thought have given way to the lady driver on the first clip as I have no doubt it would be the right thing in all the circumstances. And I would not read anything into the fact that she "apologized" as I think she may have felt intimidated.

I think it's telling that you felt that she was trying to bully you. This thought process personalizes the incident and will make you much more likely to feel angry. Ok I'm going all doctor Phil now peace out!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I would have let her through as well, although she is not without some blame here. When we first catch site of the silver car approaching they are already in a position on the wrong side of the road, I would say too far in advance of the obstacle. But at the same time it was clear as day why she was over, and slowing and allowing her proceed would have been the best and quickest choice.

As for the driving test. There is a react to hazards section which explicitly states:
    Where an applicant meets an oncoming vehicle which is in the process of over taking, and the applicant does not slow or stop as necessary, to allow the oncoming vehicle to pass by

http://rsa.ie/Documents/ADI/Information%20Pack/DrivingFault_Marking_Guides.pdf

The driving test doesn't care if the other party is at fault, or technically wrong, it cares about your reaction to it. It is quite clear how this would have been marked given the above.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

boardz wrote: »
    I would absolutely without a second thought have given way to the lady driver on the first clip as I have no doubt it would be the right thing in all the circumstances. And I would not read anything into the fact that she "apologized" as I think she may have felt intimidated.

I think it's telling that you felt that she was trying to bully you. This thought process personalizes the incident and will make you much more likely to feel angry. Ok I'm going all doctor Phil now peace out!

But i wasnt even swearing in Dutch yet..... :D

Emmersonn wrote: »
    Why is it always the poster of the video has to be the one who bends over. who supplies his own lube and who takes it up the ar$€ and never the offending a$$hol€ who causes the situation in the first place.

Because those "fisheye" lenses do sometimes no favours to distances et cetera.
    Reality and seeing it back on cam are sometimes quite different.

But there are also lots out there trying to score footage and that doesnt help either.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

You come across as very angry and dangerous on the road.
    I'm sure you'll ignore this but I believe you are putting others at risk with that agrresive style.

Technically correct on some of the other persons driving errors sure, but you have a responsibility to not make the situation more dangerous. Just my opinion.

The driving test doesn't care if the other party is at fault, or technically wrong, it cares about your reaction to it. It is quite clear how this would have been marked given the above.

When i did my test i actually ended up in a situation where i took the best "bad" decision under the circumstances. Had no influence at all on my final result (passed 1st attempt) but what i did would in any other situation have led to me going to wait another 3 months and spent another Dfl200 for a 2nd attempt.

And because of that, i never believe anyone who says: i failed my driving test because the examinator was an asshole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

site_owner wrote: »
    You come across as very angry and dangerous on the road.
    I'm sure you'll ignore this but I believe you are putting others at risk with that agrresive style.

Technically correct on some of the other persons driving errors sure, but you have a responsibility to not make the situation more dangerous. Just my opinion.

He has less responsibility than the others in the clips.

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »
    He has less responsibility than the others in the clips.

I see it differently, if someone trys to cut in on me like in most of those clips I just ease off a second and let them in. It doesn't ruin my day and there's no risk.

This behaviour of maintaining speed to block a merge is poor driving imo. Regardless of opinion or queue skippers etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I see it differently, if someone trys to cut in on me like in most of those clips I just ease off a second and let them in. It doesn't ruin my day and there's no risk.

This behaviour of maintaining speed to block a merge is poor driving imo. Regardless of opinion or queue skippers etc

If they don't try to cut in at all then there's even less risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,048 ✭✭✭✭neris

Emmersonn wrote: »

because of the self rightous know it all c**** who troll this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭josip

@inforfun is that a butterfly on the bottom right of your windscreen?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

I see it differently, if someone tries to cut in on me like in most of those clips I just ease off a second and let them in. It doesn't ruin my day and there's no risk.

Spot on. I do the same, we all end up stopping at the next junction, here or there, so whats the difference if there will be 4 or 5 cars in front.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

@Inforun I drive for a living and being honest I would have left your one proceed in the first clip even though she should have yielded for you! I agree with you on the rest of them especially the clown in the Avensis and that Audi driver needs to be throttled for leaving the Dacia sh1t box into the correct lane!:)

Patww79 wrote: »
    If they don't try to cut in at all then there's even less risk.

thats true, but obviously people still can and do cut in, so which reaction is better road craft to to keep you out of an accident?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Yesterday evening. Incident at 50s.

Truck decides to overtake tractor on blind bend. Forces the Merc off the road. Lucky she had somewhere to pull in (she was in shock when I passed, head in hands, I'd say she was about to start crying. I was a few cars behind so video isn't great, but the two other cars behind her were lucky as well, tractor had to jam on to let the truck pass.

Narrow enough road too, not a lot of room for the truck to get by even on a straight stretch.

I chased after him and caught up after about 15 mins to get his reg, worth reporting?

josip wrote: »
    @inforfun is that a butterfly on the bottom right of your windscreen?

No, it is the remainder of an AA sticker. I now drink and drive again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

oh yes, pretty shocking dangerous driving

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭boardz

Yesterday evening. Incident at 50s.

Truck decides to overtake tractor on blind bend. Forces the Merc off the road. Lucky she had somewhere to pull in (she was in shock when I passed, head in hands, I'd say she was about to start crying. I was a few cars behind so video isn't great, but the two other cars behind her were lucky as well, tractor had to jam on to let the truck pass.

Narrow enough road too, not a lot of room for the truck to get by even on a straight stretch.

I chased after him and caught up after about 15 mins to get his reg, worth reporting?

This is so dangerous! I would definitely report this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

Definitely worth reporting. It's not like the tractor was crawling, either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

n1ck wrote: »
    Posted this in the Q&A Dashcam thread by accident so reposting here.

Excuse the language again....

And not so much a dash cam but a fun one from today!

Did you report that taxi to the carriage office?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Truck was unreal, you were flying along as it was. No need to overtake

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

seagull wrote: »
    Did you report that taxi to the carriage office?

I just watched the Mondello clip looking for the taxi.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

SuperValu knocklyon D16. Driving on wrong side of road obstructing oncoming traffic. It's a brief clip and not sure which way this individual came from. The reflection from my dash is unfortunate but you can see the Clio driver reversing the car back on to the correct side of the road and then stopping in the "keep clear box"

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Very surprised they could reverse to be honest....

SuperValu knocklyon D16. Driving on wrong side of road obstructing oncoming traffic. It's a brief clip and not sure which way this individual came from. The reflection from my dash is unfortunate but you can see the Clio driver reversing the car back on to the correct side of the road and then stopping in the "keep clear box"

I would guess that they were going the same way as you (from the same place as well) and were chancing their arm to jump the queue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Shame we didn't get to see the prior 30 seconds, will just have to speculate...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement