Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Israel attacks Syria

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭SSr0

Gatling, you should try get a meeting with DF G2. They would learn a few things off you for sure.

And get a good laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

You’re on a roll here. Between yourself and the guy that can’t read (CheerfulSpring) the two of you’s make an excellent couple.

Explain what can't I understand in this thread?

Chrongen wrote: »
    Well, lies, in general.

I asked you to show how a drone was immediately determined to be Iranian. An Episode that Iran stringently denies. The "guys" that you consistently believe have shown themselves to be pathological liars.

So, my question would be this....since you have been lied to, ad nauseum, and those lies have been shown then why would you continue to believe what they tell you and believe that others are lying to you?

Once I'm lied to, I have a smidgen of doubt about the word from that source. When it happens a second or third or fourth time then I have no faith or respect in that person's word or even opinion.

Why do you?

False Flag event? There is no evidence this was a setup. If the Drone came from Syria it can only belong to Iran or Russia. Why would Russia send a drone to videotape Isreali military facilities? The likelihood of being an Iranian drone is high. I sure they can find identifier components in the wreckage to trace it to a country of origin. I know there have been a few instances of false flag events in Syria and we have to be mindful of that. The Jihadists are looking for ways to drag in America to bomb Assad and use of chemical weapons to kill people has already happened. Still, not everything that goes on in Syria is a false flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Have to ask Iran is awfully quiet other than it wasn't out drone -but absolutely no mention about their loss of men and equipment at the hands of Israel ,
    And here is more about the attack and defense on US backed force's ,
    Really quite from the russians usually they are demanding emergency UN meetings calling for an investigation only to block it themselves .
    Russian citizens killed by US forces and almost silence

The Associated Press
    14 Feb 2018
    By Robert Burns and Vladimir Isachenkov
    WASHINGTON -- It's a scenario many feared in the fog of Syria's multi-front war: a confrontation in which U.S. forces, responding to a provocation, kill Russian soldiers or mercenaries on a crowded battlefield.

Russian news reports Tuesday described just such a scenario, with an unknown number of Russian military contractors killed in a ferocious U.S. counterattack last week.

But Defense Secretary Jim Mattis and other U.S. officials said they had no such information on casualties, and the Kremlin did not confirm any Russian deaths. U.S. officials also said the Russian government had lodged no complaint about its citizens being killed.

What is not disputed is the fast-changing, often confusing nature of a battlefield in which forces of multiple countries are bumping up against one another, raising the prospect of violent collisions.

Whether by accident or intention, such clashes risk plunging Washington and Moscow into a situation they studiously avoided even during some of the darkest hours of their relationship: their forces directly warring with each other.

Russian forces are supporting the Syrian government in its war with opposition groups, some of which are backed by the United States. Elements of both sides are fighting the last remnants of the Islamic State group in Syria. And U.S. and Russian military officials maintain daily contact to avoid battlefield mishaps.

Beyond doubt is the ferocious scale of the U.S. attack on Feb. 7, in response to what the Pentagon called a barrage of artillery and tank fire from several hundred "pro-regime" fighters in Deir el-Zour province, an area in eastern Syria where the last ISIS fighters have converged among oil fields. Lt. Gen. Jeffrey Harrigian, commander of U.S. air forces in the Middle East, told reporters a broad range of U.S. air power was unleashed.

For more than three hours, American F-15E attack planes, B-52 strategic bombers, AC-130 gunships, Apache attack helicopters and Reaper drones fired on the attacking ground force, which Harrigian said was advancing under covering fire from artillery, mortars, rockets and tank rounds.

The air power stopped the attackers' advance and destroyed an unspecified number of artillery guns and battle tanks, he said, but gave no estimate of casualties or full picture of the assailants.

"As the hostile forces turned west and retreated, we ceased fire," Harrigian, speaking from his headquarters in Qatar, said in a video teleconference with reporters at the Pentagon.

In a second episode, the U.S. struck a Russian-made T-72 battle tank on Saturday after it "took a shot at us" in the same general area of Deir el-Zour province, Harrigian said, adding that he did not know who was operating the tank.

Russian media said Russian private contractors were part of pro-Syrian government forces that advanced on oil fields in the Deir el-Zour province and were targeted by the United States. The reports cited activists who said that at least four Russian citizens were killed in Syria on Feb. 7.

The Russian Defense Ministry charged that the incident reflected a U.S. push to grab Syria's economic assets under the cover of fighting the Islamic State group.

Without mentioning the U.S. strike, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said Tuesday that "Americans have taken dangerous unilateral steps."

"Those steps look increasingly like part of efforts to create a quasi-state on a large part of Syrian territory -- from the eastern bank of the Euphrates River all the way to the border with Iraq," he said.

The state news agency Tass on Tuesday cited Natalya Krylova, a municipal lawmaker in the town of Asbestos in the Urals, saying local residents Igor Kosoturov and Stanislav Matveyev were killed in Syria on Feb. 7. The Interfax news agency reported that a Cossack group in the westernmost Kalningrad region said a member named Vladimir Loginov was killed in combat in the Deir el-Zour province. It also quoted Alexander Averin, the leader of extreme leftist group Another Russia, saying that one of its activists, Kirill Ananyev, was killed by the U.S. strike near Khusham, where the U.S. said its counterattack occurred.

Russian media also cited unconfirmed claims that overall casualties could have been as high as 200 and Russians could have accounted for the bulk of them. Those claims couldn't be verified.

Asked at a Senate Intelligence Committee hearing about Russian deaths, CIA Director Mike Pompeo said, "From an intelligence perspective, we have seen in multiple instances foreign forces using mercenaries in battles that will begin to approach the United States." He deferred on the specifics on the incident to the Pentagon.

Mattis, speaking to reporters Tuesday while traveling in Europe, was adamant he knew of no Russian contractors killed in the fighting, which he attributed to a surprising assault in light of obvious U.S. advantages, including overwhelming air power.

"I don't have any reporting" about Russians being among the casualties, Mattis said. "I can't give you anything on that. We have not received that word" at key U.S. military headquarters, including the Pentagon.

President Vladimir Putin's spokesman, Dmitry Peskov, wouldn't comment on the reports either, saying they needed to be verified.

He also said Putin didn't speak about anything related to Syria in a phone conversation with President Donald Trump on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Gatling wrote: »
    President Vladimir Putin's spokesman, Dmitry Peskov, wouldn't comment on the reports either, saying they needed to be verified.

He also said Putin didn't speak about anything related to Syria in a phone conversation with President Donald Trump on Monday.

At first i was sceptical about it not being mentioned, but it seems plausible why mention something you are wanting to deny. As reagrds your earlier post:
    American bad

Russia good and everything else is lies ,

After all of that

Wrong. Both are as bad as each other. Both lie all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭warrior00

Gods a cúnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Explain what can't I understand in this thread?

Your Posting of the link where Mattis said they have no evidence of the recent gas attack. You claimed this as saying Mattis said that “all reports of Syrian government poisoning civilians is a lie”. When in fact he said no such thing. It has been well proven that civilians in Syria have been hit by the likes of Chlorine and Sarin.
    As Goebbels said, if you tell a lie and keep repeating it people will believe it".

Straight from the Putin playbook. Remember, “there are no Russian troops in Ukraine”.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

you are just determined to be as obtuse as possible. best of luck with that.

Why would Iran or anyone waste their time with your "hypothetical" drones carrying a grenade like a scrotum underneath to drop on a foreign target and maybe, JUST MAYBE, explode ON the ground and close enough to a few people that you want to fcuk up?

If I was a military man and there was a target that needed to be destroyed I would already perhaps have intelligence about the target I had to destroy (and I would hope that it would take more than a poxy grenade) otherwise I would pay a bunch of kids to burn the house.

Failing ALL that....a few shells or mortars.

Off the shelf drones with a grenade strapped underneath. Give me peace.

Why would Iran or anyone waste their time with your "hypothetical" drones carrying a grenade like a scrotum underneath to drop on a foreign target

This coming from a claimed engineer ,

Maybe do some research or basic reading up on guerilla warfare or military tactics in general

The problem with shells and mortars is, it requires getting much closer to your target to be able to target and fire. With the drone, you could take it off from your driveway or your hallway out your front door.

The use of drones to for explosives is well documented in Syria, and they are getting more and more sophisticated.

Link below from the recent attack on the Russian bases.

https://www.haaretz.com/middle-east-news/syria/russia-drones-used-in-syria-base-attacks-indicate-outside-assistance-1.5730232

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭muppetshow1451

Why would Iran or anyone waste their time with your "hypothetical" drones carrying a grenade like a scrotum underneath to drop on a foreign target and maybe, JUST MAYBE, explode ON the ground and close enough to a few people that you want to fcuk up?

If I was a military man and there was a target that needed to be destroyed I would already perhaps have intelligence about the target I had to destroy (and I would hope that it would take more than a poxy grenade) otherwise I would pay a bunch of kids to burn the house.

ISIS have used drones in Syria for a long time,since its cheap and easy to use.
    Its been used with Grenade launchers, as kamikaze bombers, flying decoys, and eyes-in-the-sky, or even anti tank weapon.

http://www.defenseone.com/technology/2017/01/drones-isis/134542/

• Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I have made absolutely no mention of drones with grenades. You seem to be incapable of following a thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,250 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If I was a military man and there was a target that needed to be destroyed I would already perhaps have intelligence about the target I had to destroy
    But what if you have no detailed intelligence?
    (and I would hope that it would take more than a poxy grenade)
    What happened to economy of effort?
    otherwise I would pay a bunch of kids to burn the house.
    But what if the defenders shoot them before they can burn the building?
    And what will you do if you don't have any shells or mortars avaialble?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

You are completely ignorant of military operations and strategy.

You are trying to make a point linking a conventional military force utilising unconventional tactics.

There is a big difference between conventional warfare and guerilla tactics.

You dont seem to be able to distinguish between them therefore you cant understand them rendering your opinion mute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

I am not one of these anti-Israel/anti-US fanatics but am instead a person who questions each country at a given time by the type of leadership it has. America at present has a joke of a government with a weak president, with hardline lobbies trying to influence decisions and with a lot of argument and division which has lead to a lot of resignations. Israel is lead by Netanyahu, a man I could not trust as far as I could throw him. Netanyahu is not popular in Israel and perhaps not in his own party. Any exaggerated and self manufactured 'threat' from 'Iran' or 'Syria' will buy him time. Israel can do a lot in Syria. Unlike Iran, it borders Syria. Netanyahu has not done one positive thing for Israel: he has only waged wars, created tension and engaged in corruption. Most Israelis want better and deserve better than this guy who is too long in power.

Your Posting of the link where Mattis said they have no evidence of the recent gas attack.

You are confused I posted no link on this thread about a Mattis or gas attack.This, not the first time I have been accused of saying something I never did.

You are confused I posted no link on this thread about a Mattis or gas attack.This, not the first time I have been accused of saying something I never did.

My apologies. It was not yourself that posted that link, it was Chrongen.

Apologies.

My apologies. It was not yourself that posted that link, it was Chrongen.

Apologies.

Not a problem, thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/02/18/putins-shock-troops-russias-secret-mercenary-army-came-against/

From the Telegraph:

It was one of Isil’s biggest cash cows, a strategic prize crucial to the Kremlin and Bashar Assad’s plans to re-establish his rule over Syria.

But the assault on Conoco oilfield near Deir Ezzor earlier this month ended in disaster, sparking the first deadly combat between Americans and Russians since the Vietnam War and embarrassing Vladimir Putin just weeks before an election.

It also cast an unwelcome light on one of the worst kept secrets of Russia’s war in Syria - its increasing reliance on unacknowledged and illegal mercenaries.

“These were shock troops, and they would take any position, fulfil any task,” said Alexander Averin, a veteran of the pro-Russian militias in east Ukraine and friend of one of the Russians who was killed.

Mr Averin said Kirill Ananyev, 33, was a fellow member of the radical “national Bolshevik” political party Other Russia and had also fought in eastern Ukraine.

He said that Ananyev, whom he had known since 2001, had been working for a private military company when he was killed. He would not name the company, but other casualties have been linked to the secretive Wagner group.

Russian media have published the names of nine Russian fighters who were killed in the assault on February 7, and the foreign ministry finally admitted on Thursday that five Russian citizens had died.

Some media reports have put the number of Russian casualties in the hundreds, however, and relatives and a former member of parliament have called for answers.

“I want everyone to know about my husband, and not just about my husband, but about all the guys who died there so stupidly,” Yelena Matveyeva, whose husband Stanislav was killed, told the regional news site Znak.com. “They sent them like pigs to the slaughter!”

The debacle unfolded on the evening of 7 February, when hundreds of mysterious fighters began charging toward a Syrian Democratic Forces position near the oilfield under cover of artillery, tank and rocket fire, according to the US military.

In response, US special forces embedded with the mostly Kurdish SDF called in artillery fire and strikes from fighter jets and B-52 bombers that effectively destroyed the “battalion sized force” they were facing.

Mr Averin told the Telegraph that 500 Russians were in Deir Ezzor at the time, and that many of them were now dead and wounded.
    After Stanislav Matveyev, who was believed to work for the Wagner group, was killed, his wife spoke out against the Kremlin denials of Russian casualties

It is not entirely clear whether the Russian high command authorised the attack, and some believe that Wagner mercenaries were working for local pro-Assad businessman to take the lucrative site.

According to a Syrian government contract seen by Fontanka and AP, a Russian company linked to the Wagner group was to receive 25 percent of profits from oil and gas fields its contractors could capture.

Others have suggested the Kremlin allowed the preventable defeat, which also saw Syrian troops killed, to happen as a warning to an increasingly independent Mr Assad as well as Iran, his other major backer.

“You need to be in line with our policies in Syria or you'll get bombed,” was Moscow's message to them, said Yury Barmin of the Russian International Affairs Council, a think-tank close to the Kremlin.

Ostensibly designed to support a long-time ally and defeat the Islamic State, Mr Putin's bombing campaign in Syria was supposed to be a television war, providing footage of impressive Russian airstrikes without any body bags to ruin the mood.

To assuage fears of a repeat of the disastrous Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, Mr Putin said it would be solely an air operation lasting no longer than Mr Assad's counter-offensive

But Syrian forces reportedly proved ineffective even with the help of Russian advisors and special forces. Kremlin-linked contractors allowed Moscow to run a covert land operation while denying it had boots on the ground.

“The big battles, the intense battles with casualties, that's all Russian mercenaries,” said Ruslan Leviev of the Conflict Intelligence Team, a research group who track Russian military activity abroad.

Some 3,000 Russians have fought for the Wagner group, the biggest of the private military companies, in Syria since 2015, according to documents seen by the independent news outlet Fontanka.

It said 73 of them had died before 7 February, exceeding the 46 official Russian military casualties.

The US airstrikes against the Russian contractors have raised an alarming risk of direct great-power confrontation in Syria as external players vie to consolidate their interests following the defeat of Islamic State.

Within the last two weeks, al-Qaeda-affiliated rebels shot down a Russian jet, Kurdish fighters have downed a Turkish helicopter, Israel downed an Iranian drone and the Syrian army shot down an Israeli F-16.

“Now that the fighting with ISIS is more or less over, every global player in the war is attempting to draw its own sphere of influence in Syria,” Sami Nadir, of the Levant Institute for Strategic Affairs, told the Telegraph. “They used to fight each other through their proxies, now they’re just going head-to-head.”

America wants to limit Iran and keep the Kurds - its greatest ally against Isil - on side, while not agitating its Nato ally Turkey. Russia has been trying to keep a balance between its allies Turkey, Israel and Iran, to little avail.

“The new phase in the Syrian conflict makes the anti-ISIS war look like a stroll in the park,” said Bilal Saab, an expert at the Washington-based Middle East Institute. “This has the potential to turn into a regional war.”

Yet news of the contractors' deaths has remained largely unknown in Russia under a state television blackout: The website of the main state news programme published a report, only to delete it the same day.

“It's like the story with the Pskov paratroopers who died in Ukraine,” said Lev Gudkov, head of the independent Levada survey centre. “The information was blocked for a long time, then denied, and it spread only in close-knit circles, it didn't become a fact of public opinion, and I fear it will be the same picture here.”

Nonetheless, Mr Putin, whose withdrawal announcement was welcomed by most Russians, finds himself in a bind: The Syria peace talks he sponsored in Sochi last month devolved into infighting and the conflict is edging toward what Mr Nadir called a “full-blown international crisis”.

“The era of cooperation is over,” he said. “It’s a Cold War scenario.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/02/18/putins-shock-troops-russias-secret-mercenary-army-came-against/

From the Telegraph:

It was one of Isil’s biggest cash cows, a strategic prize crucial to the Kremlin and Bashar Assad’s plans to re-establish his rule over Syria.

But the assault on Conoco oilfield near Deir Ezzor earlier this month ended in disaster, sparking the first deadly combat between Americans and Russians since the Vietnam War and embarrassing Vladimir Putin just weeks before an election.

It also cast an unwelcome light on one of the worst kept secrets of Russia’s war in Syria - its increasing reliance on unacknowledged and illegal mercenaries.

“These were shock troops, and they would take any position, fulfil any task,” said Alexander Averin, a veteran of the pro-Russian militias in east Ukraine and friend of one of the Russians who was killed.

Mr Averin said Kirill Ananyev, 33, was a fellow member of the radical “national Bolshevik” political party Other Russia and had also fought in eastern Ukraine.

He said that Ananyev, whom he had known since 2001, had been working for a private military company when he was killed. He would not name the company, but other casualties have been linked to the secretive Wagner group.

Russian media have published the names of nine Russian fighters who were killed in the assault on February 7, and the foreign ministry finally admitted on Thursday that five Russian citizens had died.

Some media reports have put the number of Russian casualties in the hundreds, however, and relatives and a former member of parliament have called for answers.

“I want everyone to know about my husband, and not just about my husband, but about all the guys who died there so stupidly,” Yelena Matveyeva, whose husband Stanislav was killed, told the regional news site Znak.com. “They sent them like pigs to the slaughter!”

The debacle unfolded on the evening of 7 February, when hundreds of mysterious fighters began charging toward a Syrian Democratic Forces position near the oilfield under cover of artillery, tank and rocket fire, according to the US military.

In response, US special forces embedded with the mostly Kurdish SDF called in artillery fire and strikes from fighter jets and B-52 bombers that effectively destroyed the “battalion sized force” they were facing.

Mr Averin told the Telegraph that 500 Russians were in Deir Ezzor at the time, and that many of them were now dead and wounded.
    After Stanislav Matveyev, who was believed to work for the Wagner group, was killed, his wife spoke out against the Kremlin denials of Russian casualties

It is not entirely clear whether the Russian high command authorised the attack, and some believe that Wagner mercenaries were working for local pro-Assad businessman to take the lucrative site.

According to a Syrian government contract seen by Fontanka and AP, a Russian company linked to the Wagner group was to receive 25 percent of profits from oil and gas fields its contractors could capture.

Others have suggested the Kremlin allowed the preventable defeat, which also saw Syrian troops killed, to happen as a warning to an increasingly independent Mr Assad as well as Iran, his other major backer.

“You need to be in line with our policies in Syria or you'll get bombed,” was Moscow's message to them, said Yury Barmin of the Russian International Affairs Council, a think-tank close to the Kremlin.

Ostensibly designed to support a long-time ally and defeat the Islamic State, Mr Putin's bombing campaign in Syria was supposed to be a television war, providing footage of impressive Russian airstrikes without any body bags to ruin the mood.

To assuage fears of a repeat of the disastrous Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, Mr Putin said it would be solely an air operation lasting no longer than Mr Assad's counter-offensive

But Syrian forces reportedly proved ineffective even with the help of Russian advisors and special forces. Kremlin-linked contractors allowed Moscow to run a covert land operation while denying it had boots on the ground.

“The big battles, the intense battles with casualties, that's all Russian mercenaries,” said Ruslan Leviev of the Conflict Intelligence Team, a research group who track Russian military activity abroad.

Some 3,000 Russians have fought for the Wagner group, the biggest of the private military companies, in Syria since 2015, according to documents seen by the independent news outlet Fontanka.

It said 73 of them had died before 7 February, exceeding the 46 official Russian military casualties.

The US airstrikes against the Russian contractors have raised an alarming risk of direct great-power confrontation in Syria as external players vie to consolidate their interests following the defeat of Islamic State.

Within the last two weeks, al-Qaeda-affiliated rebels shot down a Russian jet, Kurdish fighters have downed a Turkish helicopter, Israel downed an Iranian drone and the Syrian army shot down an Israeli F-16.

“Now that the fighting with ISIS is more or less over, every global player in the war is attempting to draw its own sphere of influence in Syria,” Sami Nadir, of the Levant Institute for Strategic Affairs, told the Telegraph. “They used to fight each other through their proxies, now they’re just going head-to-head.”

America wants to limit Iran and keep the Kurds - its greatest ally against Isil - on side, while not agitating its Nato ally Turkey. Russia has been trying to keep a balance between its allies Turkey, Israel and Iran, to little avail.

“The new phase in the Syrian conflict makes the anti-ISIS war look like a stroll in the park,” said Bilal Saab, an expert at the Washington-based Middle East Institute. “This has the potential to turn into a regional war.”

Yet news of the contractors' deaths has remained largely unknown in Russia under a state television blackout: The website of the main state news programme published a report, only to delete it the same day.

“It's like the story with the Pskov paratroopers who died in Ukraine,” said Lev Gudkov, head of the independent Levada survey centre. “The information was blocked for a long time, then denied, and it spread only in close-knit circles, it didn't become a fact of public opinion, and I fear it will be the same picture here.”

Nonetheless, Mr Putin, whose withdrawal announcement was welcomed by most Russians, finds himself in a bind: The Syria peace talks he sponsored in Sochi last month devolved into infighting and the conflict is edging toward what Mr Nadir called a “full-blown international crisis”.

“The era of cooperation is over,” he said. “It’s a Cold War scenario.”

This is nothing but talk at swaying. Tilting at windmills.

ISIS/ISIL has always only ever been a paper tiger to allow The US, Britain and France back into Syria.

It's is not going to happen. Despite what people want to admit, The Syrian People want their own independence and they want Assad as their leader.
    They also want russian protectors on their soil.

Now it's all talk. The sarin gas attacks that were supposed to stoke horror didn't work. Or this barrel-bomb nonsense.

Syria is safe unlike poor Iraq.

• Advertisement

Now it's all talk. The sarin gas attacks that were supposed to stoke horror didn't work. Or this barrel-bomb nonsense.

I don’t know why you keep pushing this nonsense. The use of barrel bombs and sarin is well documented in Syria. It’s not up for debate.

I see Israel made a statement saying they will go after Iran's proxies and iran direct if they are pushed ,

Did I just read a claim Syrians want Assad ,

According to the Kremlin ?

Benjamin Netanyahu’s warning that Israel is prepared to go to war against Iran itself, not just its proxies in Syria and elsewhere, leaves no doubt about how rapidly the crisis in the Middle East is escalating towards another potentially major conflagration. Coming after last week’s heavy Israeli bombardment of Iranian military bases in Syria and the shooting down of the first sophisticated Israeli fighter aircraft in 30 years, the significance of the Israeli Prime Minister issuing his warning to an audience at the Munich Security Conference that included Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif cannot be overstated

I don’t know why you keep pushing this nonsense. The use of barrel bombs and sarin is well documented in Syria. It’s not up for debate.

What exactly is a "barrel bomb"?

Is it some kind of doomsday device?
    Some kind of hideous mechanism that causes unimaginable pain and death?

Explain this enigmatic "barrel bomb".

While you're at it can you explain why Mattis, the Secreetary Of Defense, would come out and say that those who claim that Syrian Forces gassed civilians are actually full of sh1t:

http://www.newsweek.com/now-mattis-admits-there-was-no-evidence-assad-using-poison-gas-his-people-801542

Where will it end, all these demonstrable fabrications?

Where will it end?

Is it some kind of doomsday device?
    Some kind of hideous mechanism that causes unimaginable pain and death?

Explain this enigmatic "barrel bomb".

While you're at it can you explain why Mattis, the Secreetary Of Defense, would come out and say that those who claim that Syrian Forces gassed civilians are actually full of sh1t:

http://www.newsweek.com/now-mattis-admits-there-was-no-evidence-assad-using-poison-gas-his-people-801542

Where will it end, all these demonstrable fabrications?

Where will it end?

Actually if you knew about the actual interview Mattis gave it's was confirmed by a joint investigation team

In the past two years, a joint United Nations and Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) inquiry found the Syrian government used the nerve agent sarin and several times used chlorine as a weapon.

Maybe better sources next time

According to the weather expect rain

You provided a link to an opinion piece that bore no quote from Mattis himself, and then tried to pass it off as fact. Unreal!

Anyway, for the second time, the interview that is spoken of in the ‘piece’;

“We have other reports from the battlefield from people who claim it’s been used,” Mattis told reporters at the Pentagon. “We do not have evidence of it.”

In this quote Mattis is referring to the most recent accusation of chemical weapon use earlier this year, which as you can clearly see, states that they have no evidence of it.

It does not state that Sarin has never been used in the conflict.

As for your barrel bomb question, I asked my 8 year ‘what is a barrel bomb’?

She replied “is it a bomb in a barrel”?

A barrel bomb is an improvised unguided bomb, sometimes described as a flying IED (improvised explosive device). They are typically made from a large barrel-shaped metal container that has been filled with high explosives, possibly shrapnel, oil or chemicals as well, and then dropped from a helicopter or airplane. - Wiki.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

In the past two years, a joint United Nations and Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) inquiry found the Syrian government used the nerve agent sarin and several times used chlorine as a weapon.
    How would the UN know? They didn't send any monitors in territory held by the jihadist terrorists. Probably a wise decision as they would be bundled into the boot of a car and taken to waste ground to have their throats slit while those "activists" look on.
    You see "our" bombs are nice bombs that only kill the bad guys just like in the movies. What am I saying, they aren't even bombs, they are surgical strikes!
    You see little or nothing in media about what these .... surgical strikes .. have done to Mosul.

The strangest move of the war the Syrian government has ordered troops to defend Afrin. They have now arrived. Why would you start a war with Turkey? This is a stupid move to involve a Nato member.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-43131600

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

I see Israel made a statement saying they will go after Iran's proxies and iran direct if they are pushed ,

Did I just read a claim Syrians want Assad ,

According to the Kremlin ?

Benjamin Netanyahu’s warning that Israel is prepared to go to war against Iran itself, not just its proxies in Syria and elsewhere, leaves no doubt about how rapidly the crisis in the Middle East is escalating towards another potentially major conflagration. Coming after last week’s heavy Israeli bombardment of Iranian military bases in Syria and the shooting down of the first sophisticated Israeli fighter aircraft in 30 years, the significance of the Israeli Prime Minister issuing his warning to an audience at the Munich Security Conference that included Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif cannot be overstated

The Zionist regime to go to war against Iran? I highly doubt it. They usually get the Americans to do there dirty work, they practically have infiltrated congress and call the shots with regards America's foreign policy in the region.

Iran is no Iraq, Israel would not dare launch a full scale military assault on Iran unless they want there little settler state destroyed.

• Site Banned Posts: 406 ✭✭Pepefrogok

The strangest move of the war the Syrian government has ordered troops to defend Afrin. They have now arrived. Why would you start a war with Turkey? This is a stupid move to involve a Nato member.

NATO doesn't have to aid turkey as they are invading a third-party, it's a defence pact.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Strictly speaking, it's the Iranian backed Syrian Regime allies. Not specifically the Syrian Arab Armed Forces.

Its an important technicality that gives Syria a level of distance from one nation engaging another.

On the other hand...Turkey effectively invaded Syria...sooo Syria are defending themselves.

When Turkey invaded Syria, they did so to create a buffer zone on their southern border with Syria...keeping the Kurds a tactical bound away from Turkey.

Erdogan had stated that once he "Liberated" the Aftin Canton, he would be handing power of the north west Aleppo back to Syria....but keeping the Turkish backed Syrian rebels in northern Aleppo pocket...'Euphrates Shield'.

This gets more complex when you take into account the number of Turkish troops in Idlib that are there under the de-escalation zone agreement.

Assad will help the Kurds now because he wants Raqqa back without military means. He has also awarded Russia with the tender for developing and refurbishing the oil infrastructure. The second largest oil field in Syria is in Kurdish control. There is currently a bit of conflict in Deir ez-Zeir over it...people think Russia and the US will have significant clashes over it but we will see.

Advertisement