Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trouble on Tory Island...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Odelay wrote: »
    What do you add to the nation? Why should we keep you?

nothing, I've already left

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Odelay wrote: »
    No, they can't do that. It is not certified as a ferry. But I know you were probably kidding.
    I like to deal in facts and simple yes or no if a vessel is deemed fit for purpose by a marine engineer. Still awaiting Bobs report on the ferry.

Yep, just joking. I have since heard another angle to the ferry saga. Will post when im in front of a keyboard.. hate this phone!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,267 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The islanders are apparently coming up to Dublin to protest outside the Dail on Wednesday, they should have a Father Ted themed protest for the craic.

There are 2 ferries to Tory, the winter ferry which is smaller and faster, and the summer ferry which is larger and slower.

The winter ferry can get to Tory in around 35 minutes and is more comfortable.

The summer ferry can take an hour + to do the journey, and causes sea sickness for many of the passengers. I experienced this last April when the person I was along with became sea sick on the way back.

3 to 4 smaller ferries would make the journey faster and easier for most of the passengers, plus it would increase the volume of visitors to the island. (The Scandinavians have realised this over the years, and are now using smaller, faster water taxi ferries to cross the fjords.)

The Islanders feel that they are being handed a 'pig-in-a-poke' with this old large boat which is being offered to replace the larger summer ferry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Bob_Marley

There are 2 ferries to Tory, the winter ferry which is smaller and faster, and the summer ferry which is larger and slower.

The winter ferry can get to Tory in around 35 minutes and is more comfortable.

The summer ferry can take an hour + to do the journey, and causes sea sickness for many of the passengers. I experienced this last April when the person I was along with became sea sick on the way back.

3 to 4 smaller ferries would make the journey faster and easier for most of the passengers, plus it would increase the volume of visitors to the island. (The Scandinavians have realised this over the years, and are now using smaller, faster water taxi ferries to cross the fjords.)

The Islanders feel that they are being handed a 'pig-in-a-poke' with this old large boat which is being offered to replace the larger summer ferry.

but sure all those sea going local people and Scandinavians know nothing and the haters on their keyboards here know everything :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Bob_Marley wrote: »
    but sure all those sea going local people and Scandinavians know nothing and the haters on their keyboards here know everything :)

Weren't you arguing they needed a larger ferry just a few pages back there Bob?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

M

The problem is that the weather in the area is not the same as the Fjords, a larger boat is better for this reason.

wexie wrote: »
    Weren't you arguing they needed a larger ferry just a few pages back there Bob?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

unlike yourself, I'm willing to listen to the local people who know a lot more about it than you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭parishsavings

Is the new service run by Arranmore Ferries?

One of the ferries serving Arranmore was built in 1974

The problem is that the weather in the area is not the same as the Fjords, a larger boat is better for this reason.

yes, I know that there is no swell in the fjords. The smaller ferry can handle the larger waves as much as the bigger ferry, its just that they can reach the destination in approx half the time, usually with a lot less sea sickness. The bigger boat has more slower movement from side to side.

*Im sensing by your username that you may be more accustomed to a larger vessel?

• Advertisement

*Im sensing by your username that you may be more accustomed to a larger vessel?

I'm going to go ahead and assume he's somewhat more qualified in these matters than most of us.

Atlantic Dawn SO.914

wexie wrote: »
    I'm going to go ahead and assume he's somewhat more qualified in these matters than most of us.

Atlantic Dawn SO.914

this yoke is more suitable for hardy sea-faring men that will be out for months, not the day trippers! :)

this yoke is more suitable for hardy sea-faring men that will be out for months, not the day trippers! :)

Must have pretty decent wifi coverage out there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Is there evidence that the ferry is unsafe?

If it meets or exceeds all that is looked for in the lines of surveys/inspections etc, I don't see what the problem is.

Let's hope something is sorted out, afaik plenty of tourism going there & considering your username, they're making a remake too, afaik based on Barra back then? they need a film crew there or something similar to scifi film Grabbers that was based in Donegal too.
    Fit for purpose like the school bus in Clare this week?
    http://www.clare.fm/news/gardai-seize-clare-school-bus-badly-worn-tires-rust/

I couldn't believe some buses are exempt from testing, as some even had a '74 reg:eek:
    seamus wrote: »
    To be fair, it's a way of life that works for some people and doesn't work for others.

Some people move into the country for a "slower pace of life" and to be away from the rat-race. If rural living is still too fast and manic for you, you head off to the islands.

There was a series on RTE last year or the year before about it, quite interesting actually. A fair number of people do move there, but mostly people who marry an islander or people returning home to take over the family business.

They're having trouble with populations now because their younger people are heading off to the mainland to go to college, and understandably they find the island life far too dull when they return. Whereas in the past someone who finished school would take up a trade or whatever and hone their skills on the island. So by the time they're 30, they're well settled into island living.

That was called 'Bliain in Arainn Mhor' afaik 1st shown on TG4 then RTE, it showed how the Island copes through the seasons,
    From how the children live & learn there, now that the island has now a Secondary school, that once had to go to the mainland, through to the Bean an Ti with the summer colleges.

Also some are moving back from the UK, to set up a business there & somewhere safe for their kids to grow up too.

Ajsoprano wrote: »
    But the Aran islands is the Aran islands. I only heard about Tory island when they started banging on about a boat last year. One of its tourist attractions is a washed up torpedo and a stone that if you stand on it you can make a wish.

Is it about island rivalry or who gets to drive the boat?

Hasn't Kerry got one of those too, no not Daithi o Se :p

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭PRidley

Isn't the current ferry service operated by a company who has an ex Fine Gael councillor (padraig Doherty) as a director?

A quick google shows that this gentleman was in the news a few years back when the Standards in Public Office - SIPO - carried out an investigation into travel expenses discrepancies in Donegal County Council!

Politics is unlikely to have anything to do with all of this??!!

PRidley wrote: »
    Isn't the current ferry service operated by a company who has an ex Fine Gael councillor (padraig Doherty) as a director?

A quick google shows that this gentleman was in the news a few years back when the Standards in Public Office - SIPO - carried out an investigation into travel expenses discrepancies in Donegal County Council!

Nothing is ever straight forward in this country.

PRidley wrote: »

I wonder who owns the 41 year old bucket that got passed and what are their connections, that would also be very interesting.

I wonder who owns the 41 year old bucket that got passed and what are their connections, that would also be very interesting.

The new service operator has been named in the media many times. It would be interesting to see what are their connections - do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

I havent time to read the entire thread. Did you ever give a clear answer exactly what was wrong with that vessel?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I havent time to read the entire thread. Did you ever give a clear answer exactly what was wrong with that vessel?

It's bigger, faster, can carry more but its older from what I can find online. It looks like there is something else going on here as I presume even though it's older both vessels would have to be checked annually by probably the same surveyor.

• Advertisement

It seems from the thread that the main concern is the age of the boat being proposed by the new operator, the fact that the existing boat has been especially designed for the route and that the proposed boat has not.

The argument that the existing boat was built especially for the route does not make sense. Boats are, and have been for years, designed for the sea conditions on a route but not for a particular route. It would be interesting if someone could describe the features that have been designed into the existing vessel which makes it uniquely suitable for this route.

It would be also be interesting to know the technical reasons for why the proposed boat is considered to be "unsafe" and/or "unsuitable". Does anyone know what sea conditions it was designed for and do they know if those conditions are not appropriate for this crossing?

From what I can see on their website the certifying system used by the Marine Transport Department takes account of the sea conditions where the boat will be operating because every vessel has what are called "plying limits". It would be a surprise if the proposed operator would get permission to use the boat if it was not safe for the crossing.

If the people who are worried about the safety of the proposed boat have genuine, justifiable concerns, I am sure the Marine Transport Department would be willing to consider those before granting a licence to the new operator. An argument based on comments such as "41 year old bucket" would not hold much water with them I'd imagine - pardon the pun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

ya really should change the record about a 41 year old bucket . There is no ''getting passed '' a survey , are you connected in any way to the original operator . There have been fishing vessels in the past that were inspected by lloyd's , during building , lloyd's who are the standard recognised the world over who have come into irish ports and been detained by irish surveyors due to what the deemed as faults.
    just because the locals are complaining about the new ferry not being safe it does not make it true and just because they live on an island doesn't make them experts on vessel stability or sea going capabilities and no matter what vessel is in service or what the sea conditions are on any day , the final decision to sail or not is the decision of the skipper not the owner/operator

ya really should change the record about a 41 year old bucket . There is no ''getting passed '' a survey , are you connected in any way to the original operator . There have been fishing vessels in the past that were inspected by lloyd's , during building , lloyd's who are the standard recognised the world over who have come into irish ports and been detained by irish surveyors due to what the deemed as faults.
    just because the locals are complaining about the new ferry not being safe it does not make it true and just because they live on an island doesn't make them experts on vessel stability or sea going capabilities and no matter what vessel is in service or what the sea conditions are on any day , the final decision to sail or not is the decision of the skipper not the owner/operator

Actually I'll believe the local islanders genuine concerns and motivations over yours anyday, and those who seems to be more interested in trying to portray them as ignorant mucksavages that should just accept whatever unacceptable service they are given.

Actually I'll believe the local islanders genuine concerns and motivations over yours anyday, and those who seems to be more interested in trying to portray them as ignorant mucksavages that should just accept whatever unacceptable service they are given.

Bob,

What exactly are the local concerns?

Please list the engineering and seagoing issues with the new vessel?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Your general contribution to this thread:

fingers-in-ears.jpg

Your general contribution to this thread:

fingers-in-ears.jpg

You can post all the juvenile cartoons you like, I'll trust the local Islanders point of view any day over yours..

You can post all the juvenile cartoons you like, I'll trust the local Islanders point of view any day over the yours..

WHAT EXACTLY ARE THE ISSUES WITH THE NEW BOAT?

LIST THEM

M

Both boats are twin enginned, this is a great safety feature in that each is independent and also allows much better maneuverability when docking. They would have regular inspections likely involving untrasound inspections of the hull strength for corrosion. Boats after exposure to seawater can look like they are way past their sell by date at times but all they need it a lick of paint and perhaps a sandblasting and they are back looking like new.

Here's both boats out of the water for refits...
    http://mooneyboats.ie/news/queen-of-aran/
    http://mooneyboats.ie/news/the-tor-mor/

WHAT EXACTLY ARE THE ISSUES WITH THE NEW BOAT?

LIST THEM

We don't need to know, cause the islanders know and that's all that matters...

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

and what motivations or concerns do i have exactly , I haven't expressed any concerns at all . quiet the opposite actually , i would have no concern at all that whatever vessel used will be deemed fit for purpose by people far more qualified to do so , far more qualified than any of the island population , and anybody on here , including myself . what experience with marine surveyors do you have , what experience the sea do you have other than saying the boat is a 40 year old bucket
    you still didn't answer the question i asked earlier about ''what better standards do you keep refering to '?

Advertisement