Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trouble on Tory Island...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,235 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Whoarewe wrote: »
    When they get a proper roll on roll off service and fix all the roads, not just do half here and half there, need proper drainage too. then they definitely should pay everything on their vehicles. Tax, insurance and nct. I don’t disagree with that.

They already get a subsidised ferry service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Still sounds like nonsense to me.

What they should asking for is to dredge the pier so boats with a greater draught can get in. Seeing as they are so concerned about stability it kinda seems disengenius to complain that this new boat is marginally taller but significantly deeper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

any island vehicles are also required to be taxed (albeit at a reduced rate) and insured.

You need to go out there and experience a day or two on the island. I wouldn't like to be the guard who is trying to enforce compliance with road tax and insurance. There are 2 roads on the island, one central road which connects two clusters of houses.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Whoarewe

They already get a subsidised ferry service.

That people here on this forum are saying they shouldn’t have?

That people here on this forum are saying they shouldn’t have?

well go argue with them then :)

• Advertisement

You need to go out there and experience a day or two on the island. I wouldn't like to be the guard who is trying to enforce compliance with road tax and insurance. There are 2 roads on the island, one central road which connects two clusters of houses.

maxresdefault.jpg

whatever the practicalities they are still required to be taxed and insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

nihicib2 wrote: »
    I hope the islanders get a boat that suits their needs.

They did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

whatever the practicalities they are still required to be taxed and insured.

Sure

well go argue with them then :)

I’m not gonna be arguing with anyone. I’m only saying what’s true. This thread is full of lies. I just wish that people would get the full story from start to finish before jumping on the people of Tory the way they are on this thread. It’s awful to see people from our own country be little The people on Tory Island. That’s exactly what’s going on here. The government made mistakes right left and centre.. not the Tory islanders, why should they suffer because of the governments mistakes. All they want is the right to a safe up to date service for themselves and the tourist that actually make the 9 mile trip to the island. It’s not a massive ask. No word on all the other places in Ireland getting subsidies. I mean on mainland Ireland!!!

I’m not gonna be arguing with anyone. I’m only saying what’s true. This thread is full of lies. I just wish that people would get the full story from start to finish before jumping on the people of Tory the way they are on this thread. It’s awful to see people from our own country be little The people on Tory Island. That’s exactly what’s going on here. The government made mistakes right left and centre.. not the Tory islanders, why should they suffer because of the governments mistakes. All they want is the right to a safe up to date service for themselves and the tourist that actually make the 9 mile trip to the island. It’s not a massive ask. No word on all the other places in Ireland getting subsidies. I mean on mainland Ireland!!!

• Advertisement

well then quote their posts and reply to them. Its not that difficult to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Stunning looking place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Amazing that a tiny island with a tiny population suffers from such terrible planning. 4 "villages"!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭PRidley

When they get a proper roll on roll off service and fix all the roads, not just do half here and half there, need proper drainage too. then they definitely should pay everything on their vehicles. Tax, insurance and nct. I don’t disagree with that.

I understand the main road on Tory is in excellent condition having being completely tarmaced in the past few years.

Pity people on the mainland could decide not to bother taxing and insuring their vehicles while expecting the country to provide them with well surfaced roads.

somefeen wrote: »
    Still sounds like nonsense to me.

What they should asking for is to dredge the pier so boats with a greater draught can get in. Seeing as they are so concerned about stability it kinda seems disengenius to complain that this new boat is marginally taller but significantly deeper?

Is the proposed boat significantly deeper than the existing? Does anyone know the actual drafts?

Since this seems to be the main concern of the Tory islanders it would be useful to the rest of us understanding their concerns if they could give the actual values on this thread.

This thread is full of lies.

What are the lies?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

PRidley wrote: »
    Is the proposed boat significantly deeper than the existing? Does anyone know the actual drafts?

Since this seems to be the main concern of the Tory islanders it would be useful to the rest of us understanding their concerns if they could give the actual values on this thread.
    there is a picture of both boats further back in the thread and the water line of both vessels is marked at [ about ]1.7 mtrs and when you look at both boats in the cradle there appears to be very little difference in them windage wise . What would be far more important would be the draft when loaded , the might carry a load differently

there is a picture of both boats further back in the thread and the water line of both vessels is marked at [ about ]1.7 mtrs and when you look at both boats in the cradle there appears to be very little difference in them windage wise . What would be far more important would be the draft when loaded , the might carry a load differently

Hopefully the people from Tory who presumably know the facts will give us that information.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

Hopefully the people from Tory who presumably know the facts will give us that information.

i would far prefer to take my information from people qualified to do so . If a surveyor tells us , or the ''lines plan '' for the two boats can be provided and the draft is significantly more the fair enough , the islanders were right

the actual draft markings on the pictures above would be inspected by a qualified surveyor not just painted on where someone thinks they should be and where they are painted there would usually be a short welded mark to make repainting accurate

What are the lies?

“Could easily just be a "we don't like change!" complaint from locals who've gotten friendly with the last captain. “

“the current boat owner may simply be enlisting family and friends to support his position after he lost the tender.”

What would you call this?

• Advertisement

I understand the main road on Tory is in excellent condition having being completely tarmaced in the past few years.

Pity people on the mainland could decide not to bother taxing and insuring their vehicles while expecting the country to provide them with well surfaced roads.

This thread is about the people of Tory wanting best for their Island. Not about cars, tax, Insurance and nct. Totally off the point. Keep that for another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,535 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

People on Tory have vehicles taxed, insured and nct’d.. they are on the mainland, because they don’t have a roll on roll off daily service. How on earth would you expect those people to be able to insure tax and nct 2 cars? People in this country can’t even pay for one car never mind 2. This thread is going off the point completely

They have personalised plates too, they have it all :D

IMG_6331.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Do the ferries bring in the fuel for the generators or is there a boat for that? I presume there are big storage tanks?

They have personalised plates too, they have it all :D

Great picture 🤗

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Bob_Marley

“Could easily just be a "we don't like change!" complaint from locals who've gotten friendly with the last captain. “

“the current boat owner may simply be enlisting family and friends to support his position after he lost the tender.”

It's regional hatred pure and simple, if this was an Island in the south of the country they would be falling over themselves to support better investment and treatment for a natural treasure.

Threatening to leave the Island is completely the wrong tactic though, that's exactly what they want. - You should should all be threatening to always keep the Island well inhabited with locals forever, if you don't get a fit for purpose service - they'll have a fit at that, and will be tripping over themselves to try and get a decent one in place then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

511 wrote: »
    That's a load of bollocks. FG are trying to rollout fibre optic broadband to every one-off house in the backarse of nowhere, while they keep stalling on Dublin North Metro. They also built a dual carriage way to bypass Tuam which has a population of almost 9,000. The government are also building a bridge to bypass New Ross, with its population of 5,000. Considering this entire country is subsidised by Dublin and Cork, rural areas receive a hughly disproportionate amount of investment in their favour compared to what they put in.

You’ve obviously never spent an hour trying to get through New Ross and Enniscorthy On a Friday ....it’s not just locals that use the roads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Lies are intentionally false statements. You see the words "could ... be" and "may ... be"? These are not even statements, much less intentionally false. So we're left with two options: either you're too ignorant to tell the difference, or you're making a transparent and clumsy attempt to attack anyone questioning your narrative on this ferry bull****. Which one is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭downwesht

Is there any Tory islander on this thread who might educate those who know nothing about offshore island life?Perhaps they could outline the basics of living on an island and what it implies!
    Having lived fulltime and worked on an island for over 3 years and visited many islands,not yet to Tory! I have nothing but respect for island people .Island life is not for everyone but neither is city or townlife!

• Advertisement

mikhail wrote: »
    Lies are intentionally false statements. You see the words "could ... be" and "may ... be"? These are not even statements, much less intentionally false. So we're left with two options: either you're too ignorant to tell the difference, or you're making a transparent and clumsy attempt to attack anyone questioning your narrative on this ferry bull****. Which one is it?

Malign maybe? No? Could be?

Advertisement