Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trouble on Tory Island...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I think the bloke that had the original ferry contract owns the main hotel on the island .

Probably a bit pissed that he can't fleece people the way he used too so is closing his island down..... forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I think the bloke that had the original ferry contract owns the main hotel on the island .

Probably a bit pissed that he can't fleece people the way he used too so is closing his island down..... forever.

Is that the same fella the who knocked someone else's empty house to make a car park?

Is that the same fella the who knocked someone else's empty house to make a car park?

I can vaguely remember that , the owner of the house had been missing/away for years , came back and his house was gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Obvious that the incumbent ferry operator will get the islanders on his side.

But I am not sure what the rules are re tendering and so on regarding this island.

You can be sure that an outsider will never be welcome. Brave incumbent so!

Really, who has visited Tory Island. I suppose a few people have, but it is definitely one of those isolated places in the Grand Scheme of Tourism just the same.

"His Island", but I suppose he could really if he could and wanted to.

• Advertisement

Obvious that the incumbent ferry operator will get the islanders on his side.

But I am not sure what the rules are re tendering and so on regarding this island.

You can be sure that an outsider will never be welcome. Brave incumbent so!

Really, who has visited Tory Island. I suppose a few people have, but it is definitely one of those isolated places in the Grand Scheme of Tourism just the same.

I suppose in the grand scheme it has nothing on places like Tristan da Cunha or Jan Mayen or Bouvet island, though places like that become sought after among die hards for sheer remoteness

"His Island", but I suppose he could really if he could and wanted to.

I'm joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,823 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I've been a few times (including predating the hotel) and it's a pretty special place.

The accent, the language, the landscape, the wildlife, the artists, the scenery, and just the splendid isolation are all unique. I take my hat off to anyone who actually lives there year-round - I wouldn't do it - but then being from close to Dublin city centre, neither would I live in rural countryside or a small country village either.

Each to their own. The world would be a very boring place if we were all the same. There are so few inhabited offshore islands that I think they should be celebrated and supported, and I for one am happy for my taxes to contribute to that before a lot of ****e that taxes get spent on. (I realise that this may be a fairly minority viewpoint.)

I suspect that there may indeed be a bit of local politics involved in this particular row, but I hope they can sort it without too much damage being done to the population of the island.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

If they even got rid of the property tax Id move over in the morning. Cant stand the notion of supposedly buying a place and having to pay every year just to continue owning it, even though it would be only 90 quid a year

• Advertisement

I'm joking.

I know, thanks!

Am just thinking there. So you are living on an island out in the Atlantic, that few visit really comparatively speaking.

What is the attraction living in such an isolated spot. I dunno. Must work for some though.

I wish I knew how wonderful it is for a youngish person to live there. So tell me!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Alun wrote: »
    I'm confused as to this "threat" to leave the island unless the existing ferry is reinstated. Let them leave, what's the problem?

I wonder what king Patsy Dan makes of the whole debacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

Am just thinking there. So you are living on an island out in the Atlantic, that few visit really comparatively speaking.

What is the attraction living in such an isolated spot. I dunno. Must work for some though.

I wish I knew how wonderful it is for a youngish person to live there. So tell me!

You mean like the island of Ireland? Or a smaller island? Tell us all what attracts you to living on an island.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Ajsoprano

You mean like the island of Ireland? Or a smaller island? Tell us all what attracts you to living on an island.

Are you saying Ireland is a small island that lives off subsidies and because of an echo chamber existence believes that Europe should buy them a brand new boat and subsidize their holidays and choose who gets the boat driver job or are you saying it’s surrounded by water.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

there was a report on the RTE news about it this evening - none of the talking heads from the island explained why they don't want the "new" boat, or what was so superior about the old boat (from the pics I posted earlier, the new one looks slightly bigger, and is being totally refurbished before starting the service.) It all has a whiff of "The Field" about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

Fit for purpose like the school bus in Clare this week?
    http://www.clare.fm/news/gardai-seize-clare-school-bus-badly-worn-tires-rust/

Salt on the roads, bus owner should sue the state for wrecking his bus, we managed without that stuff been sprayed everywhere up til 2012, no need for it. Destroying everything on the road.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

So what has the King of Tory to say ??

What's the word from Patsy ?

Kuva wrote: »
    Salt on the roads, bus owner should sue the state for wrecking his bus, we managed without that stuff been sprayed everywhere up til 2012, no need for it. Destroying everything on the road.

Yes but we're in Europe now and we have to do what Europe does and they've been doing it in Europe for years so spraying salt on the roads and destroying the cars is catching up with Europe and being progressive

loyatemu wrote: »
    there was a report on the RTE news about it this evening - none of the talking heads from the island explained why they don't want the "new" boat, or what was so superior about the old boat (from the pics I posted earlier, the new one looks slightly bigger, and is being totally refurbished before starting the service.) It all has a whiff of "The Field" about it.

They were asking for a custom ferry to be built. Tens of millions, minimum, for an island of just over 100 people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,698 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

downwesht wrote: »
    Big money spent on Cape Clear down here on a new pier /pontoons and deservedly so.Tory should get a decent ferry service too.We need to maintain our offshore communities who have rich traditions and heritage.

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Bob_Marley

Why?
    HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I've been a few times (including predating the hotel) and it's a pretty special place.

The accent, the language, the landscape, the wildlife, the artists, the scenery, and just the splendid isolation are all unique. I take my hat off to anyone who actually lives there year-round - I wouldn't do it - but then being from close to Dublin city centre, neither would I live in rural countryside or a small country village either.

Each to their own. The world would be a very boring place if we were all the same. There are so few inhabited offshore islands that I think they should be celebrated and supported, and I for one am happy for my taxes to contribute to that before a lot of ****e that taxes get spent on. (I realise that this may be a fairly minority viewpoint.)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

downwesht wrote: »
    Are the Islanders not entitled to a decent boat whether tourists go there or not?

no, not unless they pay for it themselves. How is living out there in any way sustainable and why should tax payers be forced to subsidise it? What does it add to the nation in any way?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭Odelay

no, not unless they pay for it themselves. How is living out there in any way sustainable and why should tax payers be forced to subsidise it? What does it add to the nation in any way?

What do you add to the nation? Why should we keep you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Tory had 70k visitors during the season two years ago.

There are 2 ferries, one is quite small and is faster than the large ferry. It can be a rough crossing if there is unsettled weather. The larger ferry feels a lot more stable in the water.

For anyone who has never been out, the sea cliffs at the back of the island are worth the visit. There is one pub and a hotel which opens from Easter.

The same could be said of people who live in ribbon housing ever further out of towns, or one-off rural houses in the middle of the countryside, who still expect all the services of urban/town dwellers at their doorstep.

And at least the Tory islanders have some culture and scenery to offer in return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

You've posted the same thing eleventy times now, we get it... it's not for you. It obviously is for some or they wouldn't be there.

What's the attraction of living in an isolated spot? The isolation maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,023 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

And for the people who ask why they live there, its their home! I know a few people from tory, they were born there, grew up there, went to secondary school in the mainland, went back to tory as adults to work in fishing, tourism etc and have families. Their families, social circle are there, they dont expect hospitals and shopping centres to be built there, just a means to get to magheraroarty if required.

I grew up in nw donegal, and have been living in cities, most recently dublin for the last 9 years. The insular notion people have that growing up and living on top each other in side by side houses, where youre only 20 mins from the dundrum centre or 20 pubs or whatever, and this is superior and how everyone should live, is baffling tbh. Id gladly move back to the sticks in the morning, as my work becomes more remote-oriented and kids come along in the future, its more a when than if. The 'lack' of schools, services, etc did me and my friends no harm, urban living and its associated problems are a bigger turnoff for me

retalivity wrote: »
    And for the people who ask why they live there, its their home!

This!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Bob_Marley

Screw everyone in Ireland who doesn't move to Dublin seems to be the new mantra.

Advertisement