Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Cona wrote: »
    Has anyone here run the SWA cable from the consumer unit themselves before the electrical installer arrived? Should a Cat6/7 cable be pulled also (not even sure which chargers support a network cable)?

Yeah pull in a Cat 6 with it. You will need one if you need a clamp installed for dynamic load management.
    You can either running back to your distribution board or ESB cabinet.
    Clamp just needs to go around main incomer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

xboxdad wrote: »
    Can you guys recommend an installer that will install the charger without any cables exposed on the outside wall? (Dublin)

All people around me have exposed cables while this installer on the video drilled through the external living room wall at an angle and came in just above the skirting - leaving no cable visible on the outside:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWn835Zl098&t=15m22s

BTW, I like that Andersen charger in the video. Planning on getting one installed.

Youd need to throw up a few pictures for people to see but any installer will run the cable whichever route you want.
    If you tell them you're after a finish with no cable visible externally they should give you a few options. Usually involves a bit of trunking but being honest if it's done well you won't even notice it in your house after a few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Not sure I like the Andersen, a bit too bulky

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭xboxdad

Gael23 wrote: »
    Not sure I like the Andersen, a bit too bulky

I didn't see it in real life, but I'd say it has to be big as it hides all the cables. I'd prefer not seeing any cables, so for me it seems great as no other tethered charger I'm aware of can hide its cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

I didn't see it in real life, but I'd say it has to be big as it hides all the cables. I'd prefer not seeing any cables, so for me it seems great as no other tethered charger I'm aware of can hide its cables.

I looked at getting the Anderson unit, but they are extremely expensive.

on the second consumer unit, I asked ESB and they said as long as the cable from the street to the box was not touched that there was no issue breaking into the 6 inch tails.

I also rang Safe electric, and whilst they would not give me formal advise and said to get the electrician to ring quoting their number and i could listen in. but they said informally there did not appear to be an issue with the proposed install.

A lot of electricians told me couldn't be done. very few willing to put in extra effort to get what the client wants, and playing very cautious with what they deem the rules, do your own research and decide.

here is my install, very neat and no cables showing anywhere.

(if someone can tell me how to add one... used to be able to save to boards?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭zg3409

Should I apply for the charger grant now before even picking an installer?

Thank you!

Yes!, apply today here

https://www.seai.ie/grants/electric-vehicle-grants/electric-vehicle-home-charger-grant/

If you get an installer out to quote and if you already have grant approval and you agree on the price they can start right away. Many installers hate having to visit house twice as they may be travelling long distances. It can take MONTHS to get approval from SEAI and make sure you submit everything required. You then need your EV and to apply for refund within 6 months of grant approval date. If you miss 6 month deadline you can easily reapply for another 6 months.

zg3409 wrote: »
    Yes!, apply today here

https://www.seai.ie/grants/electric-vehicle-grants/electric-vehicle-home-charger-grant/

If you get an installer out to quote and if you already have grant approval and you agree on the price they can start right away. Many installers hate having to visit house twice as they may be travelling long distances. It can take MONTHS to get approval from SEAI and make sure you submit everything required. You then need your EV and to apply for refund within 6 months of grant approval date. If you miss 6 month deadline you can easily reapply for another 6 months.

Thank you, I applied online.
    The only real detail it asked for was the EV purchase grant number (I got it off the dealer - he applied for me for that 5k grant).

Someone here said it takes a few days to get an approval for the home charger grant and it's just getting the 600 EUR after installation that's slow.
    Isn't this the case?
    The response email I got for the charger grant application says 7 days.

eoferrall wrote: »
    I looked at getting the Anderson unit, but they are extremely expensive.

on the second consumer unit, I asked ESB and they said as long as the cable from the street to the box was not touched that there was no issue breaking into the 6 inch tails.

I also rang Safe electric, and whilst they would not give me formal advise and said to get the electrician to ring quoting their number and i could listen in. but they said informally there did not appear to be an issue with the proposed install.

A lot of electricians told me couldn't be done. very few willing to put in extra effort to get what the client wants, and playing very cautious with what they deem the rules, do your own research and decide.

here is my install, very neat and no cables showing anywhere.

(if someone can tell me how to add one... used to be able to save to boards?)

I only contacted Nigel Daly so far, but all I got was a promise he'd respond. I guess he has a too good of a reputation at this point and is very busy.

I don't want to go with someone random who has no reputation to lose in case they mess up.

Is there a good list of reputable installers you can point me to (I live in Dublin)?

I only contacted Nigel Daly so far, but all I got was a promise he'd respond. I guess he has a too good of a reputation at this point and is very busy.

I don't want to go with someone random who has no reputation to lose in case they mess up.

Is there a good list of reputable installers you can point me to (I live in Dublin)?

I got quotes from a couple of places, the only two "competitive" given all were expensive was Darkin and Nigel Daly. Darkin weren't sure on the external install and pushed for the internal from fusebox which meant a lot of trunking and drilling and then a cable running 2/3 around the house.

they didn't see much wrong with external and said if wasn't for a charger they would do it, not sure why the use changes the rules!

Nigel did it for me, very quick and tidy, but that was over a year ago so likely only busier now.

I got quotes from a couple of places, the only two "competitive" given all were expensive was Darkin and Nigel Daly. Darkin weren't sure on the external install and pushed for the internal from fusebox which meant a lot of trunking and drilling and then a cable running 2/3 around the house.

they didn't see much wrong with external and said if wasn't for a charger they would do it, not sure why the use changes the rules!

Nigel did it for me, very quick and tidy, but that was over a year ago so likely only busier now.

Great info, thanks. So I'll just keep pestering Nigel :)
    Can you PM me a price please if it's OK with you? ...just so I know a ballpark figure an external install might cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

Hi, got a quote for a Garo 32A untethered unit & fitting as follows:

Garo 600+vat
    load balancer 120+vat

Fitting & testing etc 375+vat

I don't have a breakdown of the installation cost yet, but does this seem reasonable? Anybody got any recommendations for anyone they have used?

I got this quote from a company just outside Cork city, near Little Island.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,801 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

kierank01 wrote: »
    Hi, got a quote for a Garo 32A untethered unit & fitting as follows:

Garo 600+vat
    load balancer 120+vat

Fitting & testing etc 375+vat

I don't have a breakdown of the installation cost yet, but does this seem reasonable? Anybody got any recommendations for anyone they have used?

I got this quote from a company just outside Cork city, near Little Island.

unless you really want the garo is the eo mini pro from electric ireland at 1099 all incl vat not a better deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Can you post a picture of your external install please

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

Cyrus wrote: »
    unless you really want the garo is the eo mini pro from electric ireland at 1099 all incl vat not a better deal?

Thanks for the info, looking into it now.
    One thing I can't see from their website is if you need to be an Electric Ireland customer to avail?

kierank01 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info, looking into it now.
    One thing I can't see from their website is if you need to be an Electric Ireland customer to avail?

nope not at all

• Registered Users Posts: 19,501 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Cyrus wrote: »
    Would I be right in assuming that Electric Ireland will not quote for any required electric work other than the installation (e.g. additional earthing), and will push you towards an independent contractor? Would be great if you could get it all done in one transaction.

Would I be right in assuming that Electric Ireland will not quote for any required electric work other than the installation (e.g. additional earthing), and will push you towards an independent contractor? Would be great if you could get it all done in one transaction.

not sure on that

KN are doing my install on their behalf (i believe nigel daly also do) (not due for a week or so)

this is my external install

Very neat! How did you manage not to have any trunking from the meter box into the charger?

Very neat! How did you manage not to have any trunking from the meter box into the charger?

probably just drilled at an angle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

The Zappi unit just looks very well when it’s installed

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

probably just drilled at an angle.

:D

drilled from inside one box to the other box so the cable is inside the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭eagerv

Received €600 grant today, just over 9 weeks...

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Buckmark1

In Dublin I used Ollie Dunne electrics in Palmerston for my installation . All paperwork etc completed promptly

https://m.facebook.com/dunneelec/

• Registered Users Posts: 27 eamon_l

I went for a pedestal installation as I have external wall insulation and wanted as few holes as possible on it

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

eamon_l wrote: »
    I went for a pedestal installation as I have external wall insulation and wanted as few holes as possible on it

That's very tidy, did you have the pedestal prepared in advance?

That's very tidy, did you have the pedestal prepared in advance?

Yes. The builder built it as part of the renovation. Ran the SWA before the external insulation too so no wires showing at all. Very happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭NTC

stimpson wrote: »
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gael23 View Post
    Where can a Zappi be purchased in Ireland? Can only find UK sources

ElectricAutos in Naas

Is there any other suppliers? And does anyone know if i get the chargers from the UK, can i use that in the claim for the E600 grant?

Thanks

• Advertisement

NTC wrote: »
    Is there any other suppliers? And does anyone know if i get the chargers from the UK, can i use that in the claim for the E600 grant?

Thanks

I purchased mine direct from the supplier. Got the electrician doing my extension to install it. The SEAI accepted my grant claim. Still waiting for payment

Advertisement