Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭xboxdad

Grant approval only takes a few days (you apply online), then SEAI send you an 'offer letter'. Once you have the offer letter in hand, you then have 6 months to get a charger installed and submit the paperwork in order to get (up to) €600 of costs back.

In addition to the paperwork you need to send them, you also need to send a photo of the electric car (clearly showing car reg)& a photo of the charger installed.

Thanks for explaining guys, it's all clear now.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

Yeah we had approval in about a week (but haven’t installed anything yet)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Also just make sure the installer fills in all the forms correctly!
    I had all my paperwork sent back for a few minor issues (even though they still had all the info, just all wasn’t in the correct place!!)

Sent back in and they confirmed via email on April 7th) they they were reviewing/processing, and would take 4-6 weeks, so I’m expecting it any day now (but know it could be another 4-6 weeks easily).

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

eagerv wrote: »
    The grant approval is very quick, took us 3 days if I remember correctly. Then we ordered chargepoint to be supplied and installed by Nigel Daly Tramore, which was done about 2 weeks later.
    Up to that we used Granny charger into waterproof outdoor sockets on house which was easy and fast enough for our 28kWh Ioniq.
    Not sure how to answer your question though..

What charger does Nigel Daily fit? Am just outside Waterford so might use him too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,812 ✭✭✭Alkers

Nice looking simple charger:
    https://evonestop.co.uk/products/qubev-ev-charging-unit-type-2-socket-32-amp-7-2-kw-ip65

Very tidy from what I seen on IEVOA facebook. RCBO has to be installed outside the unit, but tis tidy all regardless.

95395651_3512134758813473_1192855461984993280_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_ohc=jZjC4uPBkdAAX_oBDwO&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=9bef0bf2ac68c20b0494fea33013ca88&oe=5ED59051

Have one waiting for install once restrictions permit. Not only is it small and neat, it's about the cheapest charger I could find

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭eagerv

What charger does Nigel Daily fit? Am just outside Waterford so might use him too

Sorry for delay in replying, just home from work..
    Nigel stocks a few types, we got the Zappi mark 2, more expensive but handy if going down the solar route or if already have an electric shower. Very impressed with the job, tidy and efficiently installed. We went for the tethered, making charging very easy, albeit not very often at the moment..:)
    Not sure if any chargepoint installations are going ahead at the moment. ESB aren't installing night meters at the moment.

Grant approval only takes a few days (you apply online),

Don't know abou that!
    I applied and didnt hear a peep for nearly 3 weeks so called them.
    Woman said they haven't looked at the applications in a while but would be doing them in a few days!!!
    So maybe they block process them and you were lucky.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

For those of us longer in this forum, do you remember the name of that crowd in the UK that were shipping VAT exclusive.
    Thinking of going double BEV for the house so may move to tethered

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    For those of us longer in this forum, do you remember the name of that crowd in the UK that were shipping VAT exclusive.
    Thinking of going double BEV for the house so may move to tethered

Bump, had a look but couldn't find it...

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Soarer wrote: »
    Good man.

I've used Midshire Electricals in the UK for my Rolec.
    Here's the link to the one you're looking at.

Now, you can't change colour, or add the monitoring module (whatever that is!).
    But the thing with Midshire is, when you select Ireland as your delivery address (+£18), they knock the VAT off! ;)

Here ya go Slave1

Edit: looks like they're closed up during lockdown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭User1998

Saw this on FB, might also help

Cheers, their selection is all 5m tethered and I'm looking for 10m...might give them an email in a while, no rush, just forward planning on 2 EV household

Cheers, their selection is all 5m tethered and I'm looking for 10m...might give them an email in a while, no rush, just forward planning on 2 EV household

I know Unkel got Phil to make him up a longer tethered cable, and either wired it in himself or got a sparks to do it.

I went untethered when I installed my rolec, and bought an 8m coiled cable (for sale if anyone wants), but ended up buying a straight 10m cable off Kramer a few months back.
    In hindsight, tethered would of been a nicer option, but I was new to it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

Here ya go Slave1

Edit: looks like they're closed up during lockdown

Is that charger comparable with solar pv?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,864 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I know Unkel got Phil to make him up a longer tethered cable, and either wired it in himself or got a sparks to do it.

Not quite. I bought from Phil, whose supplier made it to order for me. 15m and standard 32A single phase untethered cable. That I use permanently plugged in to my charger. So all the benefits from a tethered setup :)

gomamochi1 wrote: »
    Is that charger comparable with solar pv?

The rolec? No. It's a dumb charge point, but can have a few add-ons like a kWh meter

Edit: I mean dumb in that it doesnt do anything fancy like solar or load balancing. I bought one, does me just fine, though in hindsight i'd of preferred a charge point where the cable plugs in at the side (just for my setup)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

No bother buying a 10m lead and fitting it. Handy number

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Where can a Zappi be purchased in Ireland? Can only find UK sources

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Gael23 wrote: »
    Where can a Zappi be purchased in Ireland? Can only find UK sources

ElectricAutos in Naas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

Felexicon wrote: »
    No bother buying a 10m lead and fitting it. Handy number

is there anywhere you'd reccomend sourcing the cable and connectors from? Presume it requires an electrician to change (I have a short enough tethered one) and sign off on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

Is there any guide/reviews with regards to what home charger you can/should install? Esb one seems to be the most popular
    Comment?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,075 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Laviski wrote: »
    Is there any guide/reviews with regards to what home charger you can/should install? Esb one seems to be the most popular
    Comment?

Depends on what you want... cheap and cheerful or bells and whistles.

They will all charge the car!

Things you need to consider... budget, will you want Solar integration, do you care about the look of it, tether or untetherd, distance to the car etc.

KCross wrote: »
    Depends on what you want... cheap and cheerful or bells and whistles.

They will all charge the car!

Things you need to consider... budget, will you want Solar integration, do you care about the look of it, tether or untetherd, distance to the car etc.

I would personally like one that looks well within reason. I like the Zappi v2 but there might be others that im not thinking of.
    Which one does ESB provide?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,701 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Gael23 wrote: »
    I would personally like one that looks well within reason. I like the Zappi v2 but there might be others that im not thinking of.
    Which one does ESB provide?

esb are apparently doing the eo mini now which looks as well (imo) as you are going to get basically because it is so small.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

eoferrall wrote: »
    is there anywhere you'd reccomend sourcing the cable and connectors from? Presume it requires an electrician to change (I have a short enough tethered one) and sign off on?

I think that poster might have referring to a non-tethered charger with a short cable plugged in, and swapping it for a longer cable. That's a 3 second job. OTOH, changing a short tethered cable for a longer one is a completely different job and depends on your ability and confidence (and tools) with working with that kind of stuff. I've done it myself a few times, and it's not for the faint-hearted. It's also quite difficult to do it in a cost effective way. It can be done, but it takes patience.

EDIT: While a regular electrician would have the confidence to do it, they won't have some of the parts to hand. They'd have to be ordered in. Once everything is taken into account it's probably more cost effective just to change the charger to untethered and get a long cable.

n97 mini wrote: »
    I think that poster might have referring to a non-tethered charger with a short cable plugged in, and swapping it for a longer cable. That's a 3 second job. OTOH, changing a short tethered cable for a longer one is a completely different job and depends on your ability and confidence (and tools) with working with that kind of stuff. I've done it myself a few times, and it's not for the faint-hearted. It's also quite difficult to do it in a cost effective way. It can be done, but it takes patience.

EDIT: While a regular electrician would have the confidence to do it, they won't have some of the parts to hand. They'd have to be ordered in. Once everything is taken into account it's probably more cost effective just to change the charger to untethered and get a long cable.

No I was talking about changing out a tethered lead. Have done it plenty of times. Can be a bit awkward and I'd definitely advise getting a REC or if possible someone familiar with chargers to do it for you.
    Its definitely not more cost effective to change charger and buy a 10m lead.

Cyrus wrote: »
    esb are apparently doing the eo mini now which looks as well (imo) as you are going to get basically because it is so small.

EO Mini is a great little charger but has its limitations as to the places it is practical to install

• Registered Users Posts: 19,701 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Felexicon wrote: »
    EO Mini is a great little charger but has its limitations as to the places it is practical to install

In what way ?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The Tesla Wall Connector is a Type 2 so will work with any car that's type 2, and looks fairly sleek

Comes with either a 2m or 7.5m tethered cable attached

ebdon.jpg

• Advertisement

That does look really well.
    Are there only certain ones that you can program to come on late at night when the night rate electricity kicks in

Advertisement