Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

I've been getting a few quotes for the charger I will need, but I am being quoted different brands and wnat to know which one is recommended by users :

(quotes don't include grant, I have no PV but I need one with load balancer as I have electric shower):

1st quote: €1245 Supply and install of Wallbox Pulsar Plus with 5m tethered cable

2nd quote: €600 install, €198 load balancer (from installer), €775 EV BOX charger (from garage) (€1553 total)

3rd Quote - €1180 for supply and install of Zappi V2 7kw tethered

Is there a clear winner?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Zappi looks good price wise, and your also future proofing if you ever get solar PV.

Also, any tethered option is better than a non tethered option in my opinion.

Zappi looks good price wise, and your also future proofing if you ever get solar PV.

Seems very good,I paid 835 for my zappi and spent another 100 on cable,isolator and rcbo + 80 to test and cert it.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bootser

Would u mind letting me know who quoted for the Zappi?(does your quote inc VAT?) The quote I got was for 1350 inc VAT for a super simple install. Thinking of going for the Electric Ireland offer €1100 for a EO mini Pro untethered atm!

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xboxdad

I'd pick the Zappi offer.
    Would you mind sending me a PM with the installer details? (if they do Dublin)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,108 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Is there a clear winner?

That quote sounds almost too good to be true based on the price of the Zappi itself.

Definitely no vat or anything else to be added to that?
    If not, I'd take that one.

I pm'd those who asked for details.
    KCross wrote: »
    That quote sounds almost too good to be true based on the price of the Zappi itself.

Definitely no vat or anything else to be added to that?
    If not, I'd take that one.

I was recommended to buy the zappi myself (€780 from midsummer.ie) and was priced €400 to install. My fusebox/meter is on the opposite side of the wall (and up about 1.5 meters) form where the charger will go, so it might be relatively cheap because it's straightforward?

The installer of Wallbox Pulsar Plus was saying the zappi (outside of the PV integration) was actually a fairly basic unit. Anyone have experience of the Wallbox?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,905 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

That zappi quote looks too good to be true but if it’s legit go for that

Unless you are charging every night I disagree they look awful

Like a hose or something appended to the front or side of your house

No thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,108 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I was recommended to buy the zappi myself (€780 from midsummer.ie) and was priced €400 to install.

Ah! That excludes VAT!

With VAT and delivery you'll be looking at €970

The installer of Wallbox Pulsar Plus was saying the zappi (outside of the PV integration) was actually a fairly basic unit.

Thats not true. It has other features built in that alot of other charge points dont have. Load balancing, load limiting and app support.

If you for instance buy a cheaper unit and you have an electric shower or heat pump you'd need a priority switch which can add upto €200 to your install cost.

But the other features are also useful so its not true to say its a basic unit. I guess he wants to sell you a Wallbox!

• Advertisement

Ah! That excludes VAT!

With VAT and delivery you'll be looking at €970

Damn it! There is nothing on that site about VAT until you go to the checkout, so I thought it was included. :(
    Its ~ €860 delivered from myenergi in the UK.
    Thats not true. It has other features built in that alot of other charge points dont have. Load balancing, load limiting and app support.

If you for instance buy a cheaper unit and you have an electric shower or heat pump you'd need a priority switch which can add upto €200 to your install cost.

But the other features are also useful so its not true to say its a basic unit. I guess he wants to sell you a Wallbox!

Yeah, the €1553 one via the garage includes €198 for a load balancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Damn it! There is nothing on that site about VAT until you go to the checkout, so I thought it was included. :(
    Its ~ €860 delivered from myenergi in the UK.

Yeah, the €1553 one via the garage includes €198 for a load balancer.

Does the Pulsar Plus quote also include load balancing

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Liked the Pulsar Plus but didn't want tethered and they don't do a non thethered yet.

ESB are doing the EO Mini Pro Untethered ( Socket Only ) €1,099. / EO Mini Pro Tethered ( cable attached ) €1,199.

Incl VAT and fitting.

Like this one as it's smart, has load management and is small.

https://www.eocharging.com/eo-mini-pro

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Gargled

Liked the Pulsar Plus but didn't want tethered and they don't do a non thethered yet.

ESB are doing the EO Mini Pro Untethered ( Socket Only ) €1,099. / EO Mini Pro Tethered ( cable attached ) €1,199.

Incl VAT and fitting.

Like this one as it's smart, has load management and is small.

Has anyone managed to get a call back from ESB yet?

Felexicon wrote: »
    Does the Pulsar Plus quote also include load balancing

Yes. It was from EV Power.

Ecarinfra are advertising the Zappi V2 from €729 installed, including VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭C@t

Gargled wrote: »
    Has anyone managed to get a call back from ESB yet?

Yes, I did get a callback from them within a few days but I’m a little confused about what they’re installing as EO say that the EO Mini Pro doesn’t have load balancing and can’t be used with the ALM unit, however ESB say the Mini Pro they’re fitting does have it... we have a heat pump so load balancing is a must for us.

I’m waiting a week so far on further clarification from ESB

C@t wrote: »
    Yes, I did get a callback from them within a few days but I’m a little confused about what they’re installing as EO say that the EO Mini Pro doesn’t have load balancing and can’t be used with the ALM unit, however ESB say the Mini Pro they’re fitting does have it... we have a heat pump so load balancing is a must for us.

I’m waiting a week so far on further clarification from ESB

I have a heat pump and I’m getting one fitted

I doubt ESB will put their name to something without load balancing

Cyrus wrote: »
    I have a heat pump and I’m getting one fitted

I doubt ESB will put their name to something without load balancing

I know, I thought that too, surely the ESB would have the electrical side of things correct!
    I was wondering whether it might actually be the Smart Home version they’re installing, which does have load balancing. They’re offering a great deal if it is that!

Let us know how you get on!

I was waiting for a call back, after a few days gave them a call.

We dont have a power shower etc so not sure balancing is that important for us anyway but thought I had read that the EO Mini pro had load management?

As an aside, applied for the offer letter Tuesday night and it arrived in the post Thursday morning. If only the payment process was as efficient (from what I've heard).

I was waiting for a call back, after a few days gave them a call.

We dont have a power shower etc so not sure balancing is that important for us anyway but thought I had read that the EO Mini pro had load management?

Where did you read that?
    It says it on the ESB website alright, but it doesn’t say it on the data sheet they link to. I contacted EO to ask them directly, as I had been told by another supplier that the Mini Pro doesn’t have load balancing/can’t be used with the ALM and EO confirmed this by email.

Edit: I cant see reference to the EO charger on the ESB website, it could just have been in the email they sent me after my enquiry

• Advertisement

Where did you read that?
    It says it on the ESB website alright, but it doesn’t say it on the data sheet they link to. I contacted EO to ask them directly, as I had been told by another supplier that the Mini Pro doesn’t have load balancing/can’t be used with the ALM and EO confirmed this by email.

It's here but if EO confirmed it doesn't have it by email that sounds strange?

https://ceti.ie/home-ev-charging/

Obviously this website is not the manufacturer..

OK, Just rang EO tech support and they say that only the EO smart home has load balancing. Categorically stated that neither the EO basic or Pro have the balancing functionality, which is a PITA as that was what I had finally decided on:mad::mad:

It's here but if EO confirmed it doesn't have it by email that sounds strange?

https://ceti.ie/home-ev-charging/

Obviously this website is not the manufacturer..

Yeah that’s the Smart Home version (unclear really on that website!)

bootser wrote: »
    OK, Just rang EO tech support and they say that only the EO smart home has load balancing. Categorically stated that neither the EO basic or Pro have the balancing functionality, which is a PITA as that was what I had finally decided on:mad::mad:

The EO Mini can use the additional ALM module though, but it’s not a smart charger.

And according to this it's an add on that compliments the mini and mini pro...at an additional cost.

https://cablesforcharging.com/product/eo-alm-load-management/

An I right in thinking you only need load balancing f you have a power shower etc?.

The EO Mini can use the additional ALM module though, but it’s not a smart charger.
    Thought I had asked the tech support if the ALM unit would work with them:confused: Although I was quoted by one company for an EO basic which he said req an ALM unit for load balancing, this must be why everone likes the Zappi!

bootser wrote: »
    Thought I had asked the tech support if the ALM unit would work with them:confused: Although I was quoted by one company for an EO basic which he said req an ALM unit for load balancing, this must be why everone likes the Zappi!

The reply I got from them (and what the other supplier told me) was that the ALM would work with the Mini, not the Mini Pro. They have another product called a Basic, which isn’t as small as the Mini series

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭JohnC.

EO’s own website list the ALM as an accessory for the Mini Pro.

And according to this it's an add on that compliments the mini and mini pro...at an additional cost.

https://cablesforcharging.com/product/eo-alm-load-management/

An I right in thinking you only need load balancing f you have a power shower etc?.

That doesn’t mention Mini Pro? Just Mini and Basic?

As far as I understand, load balancing is needed if you have an electric shower, heat pump, second EV charge point or other similar big electrical consumer (But I’m not an electrician!! ðŸ˜)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭JohnC.

EO’s own website list the ELM as an accessory for the Mini Pro.

Advertisement