Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xboxdad

MJohnston wrote: »
    I mentioned this before, but once the dealer has received the SEAI application number, you can get this off them and apply for the home charger grant. I did this with BMW last year.

Thank you! Brilliant!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

MJohnston wrote: »
    once the dealer has received the SEAI application number, you can get this off them and apply for the home charger grant.

You don’t even need this to apply for the home charger grant, though it is easier in the long run to have it as if you don’t provide it when initially applying for the grant you’ll need to send off a copy of your VRT when submitting the grant (after charge unit is installed and you have the car).

You don’t even need this to apply for the home charger grant, though it is easier in the long run to have it as if you don’t provide it when initially applying for the grant you’ll need to send off a copy of your VRT when submitting the grant (after charge unit is installed and you have the car).

Thank you. Do I need to provide any info about the car itself? I only know the model and color :)

xboxdad wrote: »
    Thank you. Do I need to provide any info about the car itself? I only know the model and color :)

I’m not sure, have a look as initial the application is done online.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,929 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Electric ireland only doing EO mini pro now and 1,099 installation charge pre grant.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

If you get the application number from the dealer you can apply online then with that instead of the reg number

graememk wrote: »
    If you get the application number from the dealer you can apply online then with that instead of the reg number

Great stuff, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Cyrus wrote: »
    Electric ireland only doing EO mini pro now and 1,099 installation charge pre grant.

That's what, a €450 increase for an app/wifi?

:rolleyes:.

Kramer wrote: »
    That's what, a €450 increase for an app/wifi?

:rolleyes:.

Yep :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭digiman

KCross wrote: »
    As I said, any electrician can do it.

It does save running additional internal cables but just means you have an extra box on the outside wall. Up to you whether thats acceptable from an aestethic point of view.

So, the main cable from the meter box to your consumer unit in your house is shifted over to the new consumer unit and a new cable used to connect the meter to the new consumer unit.

Your house and charge point are then fed off the new consumer unit with the existing internal cable used to continue to feed the house. Hope that makes sense.

A few people on the forum have done that already and posted pics of it, if you search this thread for it.

Any recommendations on who to get for this? I’ve been in touch with Nigel Daly but wasn’t a great experience to date and is also very expensive.

• Advertisement

digiman wrote: »
    Any recommendations on who to get for this? I’ve been in touch with Nigel Daly but wasn’t a great experience to date and is also very expensive.

Powerwise

Received €600 grant yesterday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭eagerv

How long were you waiting?
    We are over 8 weeks now, told last week should receive grant before end of month...

eagerv wrote: »
    How long were you waiting?
    We are over 8 weeks now, told last week should receive grant before end of month...

They confirmed receipt of all documents on April 9th, so all in about 6 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭zg3409

I don't have a specific supplier, but I suggest you photograph the charger location, your fuseboard clearly and the route the cable would take from the fuseboard to the charger. State the name of the county you are in, if you have an instant shower or heat pump, and if you want tethered or untethered and how long a cable, Decide if you want app control of charger.

Then send this to lots of suppliers and ask them what brand of charger they would use, and how long before they could install. Ask them what warranty comes with installation. You need grant approval before any work can start.

You can also post this info here to contact multiple suppliers at once

https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1398421950294098&ref=content_filter

Prices vary widely and so does service. Nigel Daly tends to be most experienced and expensive. He is based near Waterford. I believe he arranged all the Electric Ireland installations. Some other installers have no clue how to set up advanced systems such as solar integration and load limiting. Non standard installs can drive the price up.

zg3409 wrote: »
    You need grant approval before any work can start.

From earlier comments on here I know I can apply for the charger grant if I have my SEAI purchase grant application number - which I do now.

Should I apply for the charger grant now before even picking an installer?

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭digiman

KCross wrote: »
    As I said, any electrician can do it.

It does save running additional internal cables but just means you have an extra box on the outside wall. Up to you whether thats acceptable from an aestethic point of view.

So, the main cable from the meter box to your consumer unit in your house is shifted over to the new consumer unit and a new cable used to connect the meter to the new consumer unit.

Your house and charge point are then fed off the new consumer unit with the existing internal cable used to continue to feed the house. Hope that makes sense.

A few people on the forum have done that already and posted pics of it, if you search this thread for it.

Have spoke to 2 different installer in last day who have said that this practice is completely against ESB regulations. They have said you can’t interfere with the main cable from meter box to dist box.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,111 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Have spoke to 2 different installer in last day who have said that this practice is completely against ESB regulations. They have said you can’t interfere with the main cable from meter box to dist box.

Everything from the meterbox in is your property and you can do what you like with it as long as it meets regulations.

What you cannot do is mess with the cable from the pole to the meterbox and you cannot put anything into the meterbox (although some have) itself.

But putting up a new consumer unit is not a problem. Sure plenty of houses would have a 2nd consumer unit in a garage, for example. Its the same concept. One consumer unit feeds the other. You are not messing with the meter box itself.

If two sparks have told you its not allowed I'd say they didnt understand the question or else regulations have changed but I doubt that 2nd consumer units could be disallowed. That wouldnt be practical and folks on this forum have had it done and certs provided.

Can you guys recommend an installer that will install the charger without any cables exposed on the outside wall? (Dublin)

All people around me have exposed cables while this installer on the video drilled through the external living room wall at an angle and came in just above the skirting - leaving no cable visible on the outside:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWn835Zl098&t=15m22s

BTW, I like that Andersen charger in the video. Planning on getting one installed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

Nice and tidy, that charger is gorgeous

• Registered Users Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭stimpson

Nice and tidy, that charger is gorgeous

Agreed. I’d (nearly) swap all my fancy Zappi functionality for an oak finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Their site recommends a 100A main fuse rather than 60A. Going as far as their own installers refusing to install it on a 60A fuse, requiring upgrade to 100A first!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,049 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

this installer on the video drilled through the external living room wall at an angle and came in just above the skirting - leaving no cable visible on the outside:

Not mad keen on drilling UP to the outside. I'm no electrician but AFAIK standard practice is to drill down wherever possible to avoid water ingress.

Does look great though.

That interior trunking is gash though no thanks

External cable all day long.

I don’t spend a few hours a day outside my house looking at the external cable run, whereas I might spend a few hours a day in my living room, so would not want to be looking at any trunking on my wall (which does look sh1te)

External cable all day long.

I don’t spend a few hours a day outside my house looking at the external cable run, whereas I might spend a few hours a day in my living room, so would not want to be looking at any trunking on my wall (which does look sh1te)

Unfortunately my consumer unit is in the middle of the house, so I will have to have internal cabling. It's been discussed here multiple times. Some people here say it's perfectly doable to install a secondary meter box (sorry if I got this wrong, I'm not an electrician) but all installers my neighbours worked with refused doing it, saying it's against the rules not to come off the existing consumer unit.
    I'm not going to be the judge, but if they don't do it for me, it won't happen that way.

So what I meant is, once I have to put up with trunking running through my living room, I don't want to have external cables visible on my external wall at least. My neighbours ended up with both. All of them. (my meter box is on a side wall anyways and it'd make a really ugly installation most likely as I want the charger at my driveway)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

Has anyone here run the SWA cable from the consumer unit themselves before the electrical installer arrived? Should a Cat6/7 cable be pulled also (not even sure which chargers support a network cable)?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,171 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

External cables look horrible. Like part of a shabby install. Fortunately I have my CU in my hall, on the same wall as my charger. So only some trunking needed in the hall, which doesn't bother me. In fact it was quite handy the trunking was there already when the electrician recently hooked up my power wall and he could use the same trunking.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

My cousin started building their house last year and he agrees that the electric cars will be taking over in our lifetime, so I told him to plan for it, and put in something that would make life easier for installing a charge point

Either conduit or even a cable to where you would want it. I think we even discussed another box in the wall where external sockets, or even a 32amp socket for a welder( which then could be easily changed to charge a car)

I don't actually know if anything like that was done, but a little bit more work now would save a lot of bother later on.

Advertisement