Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

eddhorse wrote: »
    Where are you based?

Mullingar

• Registered Users Posts: 64,793 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Looks like a bad idea. Unless you always fully unroll the 10m of tethered cable. Price of $1,599 is insane too. And does it even have CE approval? And they don't deliver to Ireland.

How did you come up with this one. Have you had your coffee yet this morning? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

preddy wrote: »
    Mullingar

I got my Zappi from Darkin in Rathcoole, worth asking for quote from them too.

unkel wrote: »
    Looks like a bad idea. Unless you always fully unroll the 10m of tethered cable. Price of $1,599 is insane too. And does it even have CE approval? And they don't deliver to Ireland.

How did you come up with this one. Have you had your coffee yet this morning? :p

Googled EV charger retractable :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

eddhorse wrote: »
    I got my Zappi from Darkin in Rathcoole, worth asking for quote from them too.

Think they also install EO

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭User1998

Would I be right in saying that if I purchased this from Ebay and got a registered electrician to install it and fill out necessary forms etc I will qualify for the grant? Am I missing something or does everything look to be included in the attached photo? The home charger costs €450 so if the electrician was to charge €150 would I be given the full €600 grant? Or say the total came to €800, would I only end up paying €200? Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

User1998 wrote: »
    Would I be right in saying that if I purchased this from Ebay and got a registered electrician to install it and fill out necessary forms etc I will qualify for the grant? Am I missing something or does everything look to be included in the attached photo? The home charger costs €450 so if the electrician was to charge €150 would I be given the full €600 grant? Or say the total came to €800, would I only end up paying €200? Thanks

Technically yes.
    But you still have to run the cable from the fuse board to the charger point.
    Install the required RCBO and then do the house test.

I don’t think you’d get this for €150 to be honest unless the sparks is a mate.

But to give you some hope :)
    I bought my ABL charger from the Facebook group for €200. Ran the cables myself during a refurb on the house and minutes the unit and connected up at the charger side.

Then my sparks mate installed the RCBO that I bought, connected it and tested the house. Asked for €70 to cover his name going on the cert but of course I have him the €100 and a few pints on a recent stags.

Then got my €600 from the SEAI. Net profit :)

kceire wrote: »
    Technically yes.
    But you still have to run the cable from the fuse board to the charger point.
    Install the required RCBO and then do the house test.

I don’t think you’d get this for €150 to be honest unless the sparks is a mate.

But to give you some hope :)
    I bought my ABL charger from the Facebook group for €200. Ran the cables myself during a refurb on the house and minutes the unit and connected up at the charger side.

Then my sparks mate installed the RCBO that I bought, connected it and tested the house. Asked for €70 to cover his name going on the cert but of course I have him the €100 and a few pints on a recent stags.

Then got my €600 from the SEAI. Net profit :)

Ah I see, thanks for that information.. So really it should only cost me a couple of hundred after the grant with the charging unit being <€450. Thats great

Ah I see, thanks for that information.. So really it should only cost me a couple of hundred after the grant with the charging unit being <€450. Thats great

Average cost for basic charger is about €150 after the grant if you buy through the ESB.
    If you go for a “smart” charger your looking at about €1000 plus before you get the Grant.

Just depends what type of charger you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭zg3409

You do not need a receipt for the charger when applying for the grant. You should apply for grant first and get approval before anything.

This is 150+600 grant all in. Price may go up if you have instant shower such as triton t90

https://shop.electricireland.ie/products/install-detail/electric-vehicle-home-charger

Probably best deal, cheaper than alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭baldshin

Has anyone had a charger installed at a rented house? I'll likely be renting here for the next 2 years and wondering if it's possible to have a charger installed and then uninstalled again to bring with me when I move?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

baldshin wrote: »
    Has anyone had a charger installed at a rented house? I'll likely be renting here for the next 2 years and wondering if it's possible to have a charger installed and then uninstalled again to bring with me when I move?

You’ll just have to negotiate that with your landlord. They may not want you installing one or not wanting it taken off the wall leaving holes when you leave or they might be fine with all of it.

You basically need to get permission and agree on what happens when you leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Pduffy1

Just wondering if anyone has the electrical Ireland Circontrol ehome 7kw unit installed. What do you think of it and what is the app like. Did you get the beOn load monitoring unit also. Considering this option but cannot find any reviews on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

It'll be more than likely in your lease that you can't make any changes without contacting landlord. Safer to ask, so down the line nothing can be used to void the lease..

zg3409 wrote: »
    You do not need a receipt for the charger when applying for the grant. You should apply for grant first and get approval before anything.

This is 150+600 grant all in. Price may go up if you have instant shower such as triton t90

https://shop.electricireland.ie/products/install-detail/electric-vehicle-home-charger

Probably best deal, cheaper than alternatives.

I have that electric shower, so thanks for the heads up

It’s a serious alteration to the property considering access to the consumer unit is required, trades on site and then a permanent fixture in place.

As a LL, if my tenant was to come to me I’d accommodate them as much as possible as long as I wasn’t out of pocket for the installation and the works when removed. The wiring and the route through the house from the CU to the charger may be an issue.

So there’s a few scenarios once the LL agrees.

Get charger installed and when moving out, you can replace with an outdoor socket. Nobody ever gave out about an outdoor socket.

Talk to your LL. There may be a few things that will benefit him here. Are they’re any small outlays that the receipts would be beneficial for anyone ;)

kceire wrote: »
    It’s a serious alteration to the property considering access to the consumer unit is required, trades on site and then a permanent fixture in place.

As a LL, if my tenant was to come to me I’d accommodate them as much as possible as long as I wasn’t out of pocket for the installation and the works when removed. The wiring and the route through the house from the CU to the charger may be an issue.

So there’s a few scenarios once the LL agrees.

Get charger installed and when moving out, you can replace with an outdoor socket. Nobody ever gave out about an outdoor socket.

Talk to your LL. There may be a few things that will benefit him here. Are they’re any small outlays that the receipts would be beneficial for anyone ;)

Also as a LL I'd accommodate a tenant as much as poss and if they said they'd be leaving a outdoor plug instead of pulling the wires out it's a win win for everyone. Any duplicate invoices( cough cough) would also be a plus if you found him stalling, something else to write off.. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

If you get a cheapo unit from ESB could you not leave it in place? It would sweeten the negotiation with the landlord. The pricing should hopefully come down in a couple of years and pick a new one or 2nd hand one then.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,199 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

As a landlord myself, I'd happily split the costs with a tenant on the condition that they leave it behind.

By split the costs I mean that they could claim the grant and I'd pay the difference. With EV numbers on the rise it would be a good selling point for future tenants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I think I'd insist on it being left behind as well. Having it replaced with an outdoor socket when they leave wouldnt be good enough for me. That means holes being left in the wall and new holes being drilled and the RCBO in the consumer unit being changed.... too messy imo and then there's the chance the next tenant will want one and have to go drilling again.

Whether the LL would agree to pay for some of it as an asset to his house is going to be down to each LL. The tenant is in a poor bargaining position and the LL will know that.

All you can do is ask the LL and see what mindset they have, but as pointed out, you cant do anything without the LL permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

KCross wrote: »
    I think I'd insist on it being left behind as well. Having it replaced with an outdoor socket when they leave wouldnt be good enough for me. That means holes being left in the wall and new holes being drilled and the RCBO in the consumer unit being changed.... too messy imo and then there's the chance the next tenant will want one and have to go drilling again.

Whether the LL would agree to pay for some of it as an asset to his house is going to be down to each LL. The tenant is in a poor bargaining position and the LL will know that.

All you can do is ask the LL and see what mindset they have, but as pointed out, you cant do anything without the LL permission.

Also depending on the LL and the state of the wiring, he may not want a RECI sniffing around

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

DrPhilG wrote: »
    As a landlord myself, I'd happily split the costs with a tenant on the condition that they leave it behind.

By split the costs I mean that they could claim the grant and I'd pay the difference. With EV numbers on the rise it would be a good selling point for future tenants.

Also worth noting that the grant is tied to the MPRN - so it's a bit of a dick move to claim it when you live there, and then take the equipment with you. Subsequent tenants, or the landlord themselves, won't be eligible for any grant at that address.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭rodneytrotter15

I had a 16AMP charger installed via the SEAI grant scheme 2 1/2 years ago when I bought a 330e. I've since changed the wife's car to a Leaf and also sold the 330e. Will I be able to apply for the grand again on the 2nd hand (2016) Leaf I imported. I'm hoping to upgrade to the 32AMP as the Leaf has 6.6Kwh charging capability.

Any idea if I could get this done within the €600 grant if I were to try it ? I'm hoping the 16AMP charger would have some kind of value that I could flog it for as well but maybe it's not powerful enough at this stage...

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭rodneytrotter15

Scrap that, I've just bothered to look on the SEAI website which I should have done first.....it's a no go...

"The property can not be associated with a previous EV vehicle grant and charge point offer. For example, it can not have availed of the free ESB Ecars home charger pre 2018."

I’ve just been approved for the grant. How did everyone go about getting their install done? Is Electric Ireland’s deal the best? What type of charger is provided, tethered/untethered etc. I have a triton electric shower so it seems the ‘€150 after grant’ won’t apply. I requested a call back but didn’t receive one. Anyone on here pay more because of the shower? Or did anyone order a home charger online and get it installed by a local sparks? I want to keep as close to €600 as possible. Thanks

I’ve just been approved for the grant. How did everyone go about getting their install done? Is Electric Ireland’s deal the best? What type of charger is provided, tethered/untethered etc. I have a triton electric shower so it seems the ‘€150 after grant’ won’t apply. I requested a call back but didn’t receive one. Anyone on here pay more because of the shower? Or did anyone order a home charger online and get it installed by a local sparks? I want to keep as close to €600 as possible. Thanks

I got 1 installed for 750, very basic system. Was the cheapest I cud find around. It isnt one of the main brands. DM if you want more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bf

Had mine installed during the week by ECarInfra (https://ecarinfra.ie/) & would highly recommend them. May not sound like much, but turned up for free survey & install exactly when they said they would & electrician was a nice bloke.

I went for a more expensive option with the EO Smart Home (solar integration), but I see they are advertising the normal EO unit for €299 installed after grant, which is a great deal IMO, the EO is a nice very compact unit. I'd be guessing you might need to add a small bit more on for install to get a priority switch/load balancing in place for the power shower

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭daheff

MJohnston wrote: »
    Also worth noting that the grant is tied to the MPRN - so it's a bit of a dick move to claim it when you live there, and then take the equipment with you. Subsequent tenants, or the landlord themselves, won't be eligible for any grant at that address.

Not really....it’s more an issue with how the grant is applied. It should be one per person rather than mprn. Nothing to stop an landlord claiming from multiple properties. They would be installing effectively as a business rather than an individual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭_dof_

Last year I bought a Zappi V1 from electric autos for ~600 euro and got my local sparks to install it for ~200. So it only cost me the 200 on top of the grant.

The Zappi V2 has gone up in price since then, but it's a great charger, and it monitors the whole house electricity use, and it limits the charge current to keep the overall house demand below a configured limit, so you don't need to install a priority switch with it, which is a saving of around 200 euro.

ALso, if you have, or plan on installing solar PV, it can charge the car from surplus solar power.

Advertisement