Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Female only island to open off Finnish coast.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

There has been men only and women only meditation and yoga centres for decades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

meeeeh wrote: »
    Only someone who is intent on hysterical overreaction would understand that post as you did.

Why is there space much hysteria around gender lately? And it's on the right and on the left, among women or men. It's entertaining up to a point but eventually it's just annoying.

The poster replying to me did compare the men only President’s Club event to nazi clad men.

I’m the hysterical one? Clearly you have an agenda and use doublespeak to implement it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

The poster replying to me did compare the men only President’s Club event to nazi clad men.

I’m the hysterical one? Clearly you have an agenda and use doublespeak to implement it.
    You really do love hyperbole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭DredFX

And not long after you compared said President's Club, which closed due to rampant sexual harassment, to an island where women will spend their days doing yoga and learning how to cook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Bob_Marley

YFlyer wrote: »
    There has been men only and women only meditation and yoga centres for decades.

The men only ones should be banned as a sexist hate/thought crime.

Or at the very least their yoga pants should.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

biko wrote: »
    I don't mind at all.
    I am sure these women would be equally ok with a men only island.

Sure, we all need a bit of a holiday without the interference from the other gender.

Everybody needs a little time away, I've heard 'em say, from each other.
    Even lovers need a holiday, Far away, from each other

Bob_Marley wrote: »
    The men only ones should be banned as a sexist hate/thought crime.

Or at the very least their yoga pants should.

Male monks and Purusha groups for centuries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Bob_Marley

YFlyer wrote: »
    Male monks and Purusha groups for centuries.

they must be very smelly yoga pants at this stage

Bob_Marley wrote: »
    they must be very smelly yoga pants at this stage

:D no smell of the herb off them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

You always see this whiny argument about the lack of female CEOs, female politicians etc. They never seem to complain about the gender gap in collecting the bins, working on building sites or car mechanics.

Catering, care assistanting, cleaning, nursing - tough jobs predominantly performed by women. And some of them are pretty dead-end too. I hate this notion that women never do back-breaking, hands-dirtying work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,019 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

bear1 wrote:
    Again, the thread wasn't started to chant anger towards them but to highlight the hypocrisy. I used an example earlier of when there was a car insurance company set up for women only. Men couldn't get insured with them. If a men's only insurance company was set up, a private male only island, what have you, where women could not go then there would be furore. Still cant underatnd why you are bringing economics into it... business models don't care as long as the cash keeps coming.

There was loads of backlash against the women's insurance companies but it didn't stop them. Likewise if men set up a male only business there would be backlash against it. As long as it's legal let the marked decide. I don't think a men only car insurance company would really work as a business. Feel free to set one up. I won't complain about it.

I love this line of argument. It's completely blind to the fact that this thread is an example of the exact thing you're saying the other side would do if roles were reversed.

This thread is an example of the furore you're giving out about, but were all pretending this thread isn't complaining about the all female resort. Instead were all complaining about the imagined complaints if men were to set up an all male resort.

I can never figure out whether the ones who give out about the other side like this are unaware that they're doing the exact same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

You know what hypocrisy is, right?
    The "furore" is about the hippocratic nature of this, but you already know that - it's been pointed out time and again on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Flower124 wrote: »
    If men are not being nice to women, (look at the hundreds, hundreds, of stories on the news sites lately about women being sexually harrassed and attacked by men). A USA gymnast doctor has just been sentenced to over 100 years for abusing 200 girls in his care, shouldnt women be able to go somewhere they feel safe. As I said, as a woman, I choose which country I go too depending on how least abusive the men are.
    Do men just not see this going on? Or they don't care? If it was the other way around, I think I might start listening to thousands of men saying that they feel unsafe and unhappy. Anytime this has been brought up in Ireland it has been brushed off by men, so far. Fair play to Bono though, he has talked about women's rights lately. And Leo Varadkar was quoted in print the other day saying 'Ireland is a country where men have told women what to do for too long'. Maybe things are finally changing. It feels like it has been a long fight.

What have you fought for?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,019 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Zulu wrote:
    You know what hypocrisy is, right? The "furore" is about the hippocratic nature of this, but you already know that - it's been pointed out time and again on this thread.

Yes it's been pointed out loads - the imagined furore about an imaginary male only resort Vs the actual furore of an extant female only resort.

Are we still pretending this thread is not opposed to the female only resort, just opposed to the imaginary backlash against an imaginary male only resort? Just checking because it's hard to keep up with fantasy of the thread when reality is staring us in the face.

I imagine there would be similar furore about a male only resort and then you could come on again and point out the hypocrisy because there was no furore about the female only resort but there's outrage about a male only resort. You're opportunities to be the victim are endless. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Catering, care assistanting, cleaning, nursing - tough jobs predominantly performed by women. And some of them are pretty dead-end too. I hate this notion that women never do back-breaking, hands-dirtying work.

its relative though, for the last couple of months new water mains are being laid on our road, only men working in the dark cold, ice , rain. Cleaning a heated office building is luxury in comparison

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Yes it's been pointed out loads - the imagined furore about an imaginary male only resort Vs the actual furore of an extant female only resort.

Are we still pretending this thread is not opposed to the female only resort, just opposed to the imaginary backlash against an imaginary male only resort? Just checking because it's hard to keep up with fantasy of the thread when reality is staring us in the face.

I imagine there would be similar furore about a male only resort and then you could come on again and point out the hypocrisy because there was no furore about the female only resort but there's outrage about a male only resort. You're opportunities to be the victim are endless. Enjoy.

I get the impression you are going in circles.
    I've no issue with them having a resort just for themselves, I'll repeat it again - it's the hypocrisy that they are planning this that I'm questioning.
    But fair enough you have your own views and opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

bear1 wrote: »
    I've no issue with them having a resort just for themselves, I'll repeat it again - it's the hypocrisy that they are planning this that I'm questioning.

I think both sexes should be free to associate however they want but it is hypocritical since the thrust of the last 50 years has been to demonise male only spaces only to go ahead and set up the same spaces themselves. its like the switch in Animal Farm with the 4 legs good 2 legs bad

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

And there are hotels who don't allow kids and nobody kicks any fuss. Personally that island is my idea of hell but that's just me. I have no problem with leisure only destination for men. What I do have problem is single gender events where business networking is done and large group of people is excluded. It keeps top positions in business, politcs exclusive to one gender or one social group.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Isn't this a female only island?

The Finnish are waaaaay too late to the party.

You might even say they’re last to the Finnish line....

I’ll get my coat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

_Dara_ wrote: »

Maybe previously, but there are plenty of men in all of those jobs nowadays. I work in a health service. Our sector has about a 60:40 split in female/male nurses, and the numbers are rising year on year. Both this year and last there were more male students than female in the classes that came on placements throughout the year. The majority of cleaners I see around the various sites I work in tend to be eastern european males too.

I don't recall ever seeing a single female brickie/sparks/chippie or labourer on any site i've been on, passed by, or worked on. I've never seen a female binperson, never seen a female council labourer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Surely they're only being hypocritical if the very person who proposed it was protesting a man only retreat?

Yes it's been pointed out loads - the imagined furore about ...
    And yet you continue to disingenuously misrepresent the salient point.

Kudos to you, at least you're consistent. :rolleyes:

Grayson wrote: »
    Surely they're only being hypocritical if the very person who proposed it was protesting a man only retreat?
    Could an organisation not be hypocritical; a party; a society without the "very person" being involved?

...something something hivemind.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Grayson wrote: »

The hypocrisy isn't pointed to that individual personally but her points are questionable, i.e. "women put on her lipstick at the beach when they saw a handsome man".
    The hypocrisy (I would have thought is blatantly obvious at his point) is that there are certain feminists who go around crying bloody murder if there are men only spaces and yet here this is without a single peep from them that it's potentially discriminating against men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Fuk it, let them off to enjoy themselves how they want. If it means we can get PGC back to the aul days, great.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The irony of complaining about a woman-only resort in what appears to be a hermetically sealed echo chamber of discontented male voices...

And then eleven women agreed that there were no women present to give an opinion.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

silverharp wrote: »
    its relative though, for the last couple of months new water mains are being laid on our road, only men working in the dark cold, ice , rain. Cleaning a heated office building is luxury in comparison

I used to clean in hospitals while at university. I'd take working in the fresh air, no matter what the temperature, above that any day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

silverharp wrote: »

Some of the above aren’t necessarily in lovely warm offices. And, what, a job can’t be back-breaking and dead-end because it happens to be indoors? Is the only criteria for cushy cold/not cold? Plus one of the male examples given was a car mechanic. That’s a skilled job with scope to earn plenty that I would do ANY day over cleaning or wiping people’s arses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

This might work in a country where women are prudes, like the US, but Finnish women are shagaholics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭koumi

And then eleven women agreed that there were no women present to give an opinion.
    I just agreed for ****z and giggles

Advertisement