Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Female only island to open off Finnish coast.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

I have no problem with women only areas. I have an issue with men being browbeaten out of men only areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Flower124

bear1 wrote: »
    How many women have been sentenced for abuse of a similar kind?
    If it was the other way around you "think" you "might" listen to men.. so there is the possibility you wouldn't react then?
    I suspect one of the reasons you will hear more from women than men when it comes to sexual abuse is that men will be quickly ridiculed by both men and women as being soft.

Here are some figures for both men and women from the US over a 13 year period:

https://www.rainn.org/statistics/victims-sexual-violence

Women are more prone to it but as you can see it affects men too so by this logic, we should stick our fingers up at the female population and create our own island and say no women allowed.
    Wonder how long till it would be called sexist :rolleyes:
    I would hope I would. It is not reality, so I am imagining myself in that scenario and trying to put myself in the shoes. I have at one point in this life canpaigned about what I see to be injustice against men:access to children after divorce.
    I am all for men having their own island retreat. I am even more for men and women figuring out the issues between them. It seems to be like we are opposing sides in a power battle, and it was never the way it was intended. And it is a waste of time and energy for everyone. No one ever benefits from keeping someone down.
    My friend is doing research on middle eastern countries and one of his conclusions why many of the middle eastern counties never seem to flourish, is because they hold women down. It makes complete sense. If you hold anyone down you miss out on their contributions, their intelligence, what they can give to society.
    So I would like some men to see on here that Ireland would flourish better if more women were in government, in positions of power equally with men. Lets hold no-one back. Let us build a better future together

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

If they fill the island with today's obnoxious and abhorrent feminists then let them go for it.

One way tickets please...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Flower124 wrote: »
    If men are not being nice to women, (look at the hundreds, hundreds, of stories on the news sites lately about women being sexually harrassed and attacked by men). A USA gymnast doctor has just been sentenced to over 100 years for abusing 200 girls in his care, shouldnt women be able to go somewhere they feel safe. As I said, as a woman, I choose which country I go too depending on how least abusive the men are.
    Do men just not see this going on? Or they don't care? If it was the other way around, I think I might start listening to thousands of men saying that they feel unsafe and unhappy. Anytime this has been brought up in Ireland it has been brushed off by men, so far. Fair play to Bono though, he has talked about women's rights lately. And Leo Varadkar was quoted in print the other day saying 'Ireland is a country where men have told women what to do for too long'. Maybe things are finally changing. It feels like it has been a long fight.

Look into the face of every man you love and tell him that it's right that to be tarred with the same brush as the absolute pits of humanity and you need to be isolated from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

If men are not being nice to women, (look at the hundreds, hundreds, of stories on the news sites lately about women being sexually harrassed and attacked by men). A USA gymnast doctor has just been sentenced to over 100 years for abusing 200 girls in his care, shouldnt women be able to go somewhere they feel safe. As I said, as a woman, I choose which country I go too depending on how least abusive the men are.
    Do men just not see this going on? Or they don't care? If it was the other way around, I think I might start listening to thousands of men saying that they feel unsafe and unhappy. Anytime this has been brought up in Ireland it has been brushed off by men, so far. Fair play to Bono though, he has talked about women's rights lately. And Leo Varadkar was quoted in print the other day saying 'Ireland is a country where men have told women what to do for too long'. Maybe things are finally changing. It feels like it has been a long fight.

This thread was good fun until this post... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,300 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

who cares?

best of luck to whoever thinks this will solve their ills. I hope they find whatever it is that they are hoping to find..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Probably the most obnoxious post today...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I would hope I would. It is not reality, so I am imagining myself in that scenario and trying to put myself in the shoes. I have at one point in this life canpaigned about what I see to be injustice against men:access to children after divorce.
    I am all for men having their own island retreat. I am even more for men and women figuring out the issues between them. It seems to be like we are opposing sides in a power battle, and it was never the way it was intended. And it is a waste of time and energy for everyone. No one ever benefits from keeping someone down.
    My friend is doing research on middle eastern countries and one of his conclusions why many of the middle eastern counties never seem to flourish, is because they hold women down. It makes complete sense. If you hold anyone down you miss out on their contributions, their intelligence, what they can give to society.
    So I would like some men to see on here that Ireland would flourish better if more women were in government, in positions of power equally with men. Lets hold no-one back. Let us build a better future together

But there are women in power, we've had female presidents, female garda commissioners etc.
    Take a look at the below, I know it's a few years old but it shows how Ireland has progressed when it comes to female involvement:

http://www.thejournal.ie/women-in-32nd-dail-election-2016-2630150-Mar2016/

Your post in general screams of silliness to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

cantdecide wrote: »
    Look into the face of every man you love and tell him that it's right that to be tarred with the same brush as the absolute pits of humanity and you need to be isolated from him.

Quit being such a snowflake.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,300 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

what age are you?

how long have you been 'fighting'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Whose gonna open all the jars and kill/remove spiders?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Why do you have to be so crude? I am starting to think that men that say crude derogatory statements about women, just do it, because they feel insecure in front of other men.
    Welcome to the interweb, I hope you're not sensitive.

Oh wait... ...well good news, it's now acceptable to be offended by the wind blowing. You came at a good time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

This place is getting fierce delicate these days, men offended by women, women offended by men.

Place needs it own forum for this battle of the sexes crap.

It is probably the worst thing about Boards and really ruining the site.

But there are women in power, we've had female presidents, female garda commissioners etc.
    Take a look at the below, I know it's a few years old but it shows how Ireland has progressed when it comes to female involvement:

http://www.thejournal.ie/women-in-32nd-dail-election-2016-2630150-Mar2016/

Your post in general screams of silliness to be honest.

That link you posted shows that women account for about 1/4 of TD's. And Ireland ranks 17th in Europe when it comes to female participation in parliament. It also states that that's an increase that only occured because of quota's. in 2011 Fianna Fail didn't have a single female TD according to that.

That article shows how far behind Ireland is.

Edit: just to add. That article was from 2016 and it states the following.
    The new Dáil still ranks 17th out of 27 EU member states, when it comes to female representation in the main house of parliament, according to our analysis of figures from the Inter-Parliamentary Union, and we rank 75th in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I'd say your fella would feel unhappy if he knew you were having an affair

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106044723&postcount=85

Finland has probably one of the most equal societies when it comes to gender.
    I asked a few Finns what did they think of this, and they couldn't care less.
    It's not a big deal for them.

Grayson wrote: »
    That link you posted shows that women account for about 1/4 of TD's. And Ireland ranks 17th in Europe when it comes to female participation in parliament. It also states that that's an increase that only occured because of quota's. in 2011 Fianna Fail didn't have a single female TD according to that.

That article shows how far behind Ireland is.

True but it is a few years old, the point is that it is growing. Compare Ireland to the rest of the planet though and you will see it isn't as far behind as you might think.
    Can't find anything with the current years figures but I'm guessing it's too early.
    The poster made it out to look like in Ireland, women are nowhere near anything connected to power and I was merely pointing out that that isn't the case.

bubblypop wrote: »
    Finland has probably one of the most equal societies when it comes to gender.
    I asked a few Finns what did they think of this, and they couldn't care less.
    It's not a big deal for them.

Finland is the only place in the world where men spend more time with their children than women do.

Personally I don't think we'll ever have equality until both men and women have the same leave when a child is born. And it has to be compulsory for both. None of this shared crap.

Finland is the only place in the world where men spend more time with their children than women do.

Personally I don't think we'll ever have equality until both men and women have the same leave when a child is born. And it has to be compulsory for both. None of this shared crap.

Read today that the Government will support parental leave up to 6 months if it's legislated for.
    So we could well be on our way in this respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

And Leo Varadkar was quoted in print the other day saying 'Ireland is a country where men have told women what to do for too long'. Maybe things are finally changing. It feels like it has been a long fight.

These are called sound bites, which are likely in relation to the impending referendum.

You say you choose destinations based on how women are treated so doubt India figures which is a chunk of Leo's heritage Ireland is streets ahead in comparison.

• Advertisement

True but it is a few years old, the point is that it is growing. Compare Ireland to the rest of the planet though and you will see it isn't as far behind as you might think.
    Can't find anything with the current years figures but I'm guessing it's too early.
    The poster made it out to look like in Ireland, women are nowhere near anything connected to power and I was merely pointing out that that isn't the case.

I'm googling how many countries are democracies and I've seen the results are between 90 and 120 (it all depends on what your definition of "free" is).

Being 75th isn't great. That was just two years ago.

Ok, it's not a hellhole. It's about a billion times better than Saudi. Still being 75th is not exactly something we should be proud of.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Boards.iebot /remind me to check back on this island in a year.

Based off any of the survival programs I've watched, this island will claim the lives of a few of these idiots who'll starve if left to try and survive on their wits (to be fair, their gender studies majors aren't likely to be much use to these women when it comes to the practical realities of having to provide themselves with food, shelter and warmth) and female farmers, engineers, doctors etc. are all likely far too sensible to get involved in such a project in the first place.

Now, let's face it, they'll have probably had a team of men sent over to make the place habitable in advance (paid for by yet another over-indulgent daddy or government "equality" agency no doubt). Unless their food, energy, and fuel is being almost entirely shipped in from the mainland (which again raises the question of funding), I'd still expect them to struggle tbh. The coastal waters around Finland aren't likely to be the easiest of climates in which to survive!

What's the odds the first male "guest" is an engineer/construction worker being brought over to do something these "powerful" and "woke" individuals can't do for themselves? :rolleyes:

I'm googling how many countries are democracies and I've seen the results are between 90 and 120 (it all depends on what your definition of "free" is).

Being 75th isn't great. That was just two years ago.

Ok, it's not a hellhole. It's about a billion times better than Saudi. Still being 75th is not exactly something we should be proud of.

Genuinely curious, what number could we all say is a reasonably split number?
    Exactly 50%?
    Considering the reforms the country is going through compared to say 20 years ago I would say that we should be proud with the way we are heading.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Can only imagine when they all synch up and it's their time of the month there. Fûcking bloodbath! :D Bins overflowing with jam rags.

Genuinely curious, what number could we all say is a reasonably split number?
    Exactly 50%?
    Considering the reforms the country is going through compared to say 20 years ago I would say that we should be proud with the way we are heading.

Those 2016 results were the highest ever at that point. And that places us at 75th. Should we be happy that representation increased to it's highest ever point? yeah. We should.
    Should we be ashamed that the highest ever was 24% representation and that placed us at 75th place. Yes we should.

Those 2016 results were the highest ever at that point. And that places us at 75th. Should we be happy that representation increased to it's highest ever point? yeah. We should.
    Should we be ashamed that the highest ever was 24% representation and that placed us at 75th place. Yes we should.

But that doesn't answer which number you would want to see Ireland get to?
    First in the world? 10th?
    I think a good indication would be to compare our Government to other Governments of similar size.
    Comparing for example ours to France's wouldn't make sense as their Government will be larger.
    Also I'd question is there an actual willingness from women to want to be in politics?
    I'm all for them in power by the way, no beef with it whatsoever.
    Besides, this skews the thread off topic as the number of women in the Dail is different to a story of women designing a female only island and a poster saying men hurt women..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Also I'd question is there an actual willingness from women to want to be in politics?

All the hours, the constant scrutiny, criticism and abuse. I wouldn't like to do it. It's a very very tough job and women need to start stepping up and shouldering their share of the burden.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

or equally it just shows the relative interest in the job. It would probably horrify most men to go into politics is just so happens it horrifies even more women.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Caliden wrote: »
    I'd say your fella would feel unhappy if he knew you were having an affair

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106044723&postcount=85

That thud is her falling off her high horse. Any woman that tars all men with the same brush is a ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,986 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Only fair
    235px-Isle_of_Man_map-en.svg.png

Advertisement