Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It depends on personal circumstances etc, but there is a surprising amount to be said for not bothering with a car and making use of GoCar and the likes (or proper rentals for weekends - just get pretty cheap annual excess insurance).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

She is not. Not selling a car anyway.

Looking for something cheap. I've no problem driving a scraped up banger if it runs okay. I'm not a flashy person.

I live in the heart of the D4tress. I'd drive to work ~35km round trip twice a week. WFH the rest of the week. Might take it out at the weekend. So maybe 100km at most per week.

I was looking into PCP as I reckon I don't do much mileage. So much out there on donedeal and adverts. It's very overwhelming. Failing that, I'm considering busing to work and getting a bike.

Well then come up with some basic filters for done deal.
    So you probably don't need a particularly big engine. 1.4l petrol would be the max i'd look at. If you're in around the city a small hatch back would be grand.

Then pick an age bracket. If you can afford it go for something newer than 2010. otherwise you'll have to do an NCT every year.

Then in terms of millage, cars need to have their timing belt replaced every 60,000 miles (depends on the car but that's a ball park). If it has a timing chain you get a lot more out of it.
    if one of those breaks on you the car is basically a write-off so it's worth paying attention to.

finally come up with a max price that you can afford.
    Those should narrow your options down to something more manageable.

Also beware of anything that looks too good to be true. basically if there's only one of it in your price range there's probably a reason.

This is far from a comprehensive list but it's a decent start.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Podge_irl wrote: »
    It depends on personal circumstances etc, but there is a surprising amount to be said for not bothering with a car and making use of GoCar and the likes (or proper rentals for weekends - just get pretty cheap annual excess insurance).

Yeah I live in the CC and sold my car a few months ago.

I get 200 pm renting out the space, save 900 pa on insurance, 500 pa on tax, probably a couple 100 on maintenance (it was a 12 year old Leon) plus a chunk on fuel. No real depreciation on that, but if I had a newer car there would be (slightly offsetting the higher tax). So I reckon I am about 4,500 - 5,000 PA better off by not having a car.

Gocar costs 8e per hour (or 2 euro per quarter) with insurance, parking and fuel all included. There are two major downsides. 1 is you have to return it to where you got it. So quite good for collecting someone from the airport or spinning out to do a big weekly shop. Pretty **** for going for a hike around Glendaloch or something. The second downside is while the daily rate is okay, they charge 50c per km after 50km (on a per booking basis). So for example a return trip to Galway would cost as much as e225 - so for that traditional rental is better.

Even still very happy with gocar. There referral system bonuses are deadly so if anyone is signing up hit up someone you know who has it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,016 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

CC? DCP? WFH?

Won't somebody please think of the lurkers!

• Administrators Posts: 53,450 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Neil3030 wrote: »
    CC? DCP? WFH?

Won't somebody please think of the lurkers!

CC - City Centre

PCP (I assume this is what you meant) - Personal Contract Plan, which is basically a different type of finance plan for a car where the majority of the cost is loaded at the end of the term rather than the start. You don't really own the car for the first few years, so there are generally mileage limits, if you exceed these there are financial penalties.

WFH - Work from home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Bangernomics thread on the motors forum is the best way to go, as long as you can get insured on an older car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Old car gave up the ghost there last weekend (on the way back from All Together Now no less, some hangover), how the feck do I shop for a new one? I got the last one cheap off my sister

Was that you stuck just as the N7 meets the M50

Synode wrote: »
    Was that you stuck just as the N7 meets the M50

I wish. I wound up on the N76 outside of kilkenny on my own with no battery. Lessons have been learned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

Podge_irl wrote: »

I use a car share service in my city (not Ireland). it's great when there is one near by but when you really need one and there's nothing near by, it's a pain. the one advantage of the service is that you can park almost anywhere for free (city parking, you still pay for private car parks) and finish the rental anywhere you want within their rental zone. The even have vans a large diy places too but they have to be returned to the same place.

• Administrators Posts: 53,450 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

MaybeMaybe wrote: »
    I use a car share service in my city (not Ireland). it's great when there is one near by but when you really need one and there's nothing near by, it's a pain. the one advantage of the service is that you can park almost anywhere for free (city parking, you still pay for private car parks) and finish the rental anywhere you want within their rental zone. The even have vans a large diy places too but they have to be returned to the same place.

I used Go Car to hire a van (Renault Transit) when moving house. Was the cheapest by far compared to the traditional hire companies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,779 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Tom Humphries has been released from jail. He served 20 months of a 30 month sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

What do you buy your father for his 70th birthday?
    He's not a big drinker, not into his clothes, doesn't follow sport...Pretty much impossible to buy for every year and at Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

mfceiling wrote: »
    He's not a big drinker, not into his clothes, doesn't follow sport...Pretty much impossible to buy for every year and at Christmas.

My old man's the same. I normally go for a casual shirt or jumper that he'd likely wear

Of all the things I got my dad I think he loved the Chromecast the most.

My go-to for people like this is an ironically large amount of a non-perishable everyday item I know they use or like. Heavier the better, if it's your old man (spare him carrying heavier items doing the shopping each week).

Tins of beans, cans of coke, shower gel, shampoo, shaving foam...

The key is to make it an ironically large amount so it stands out.

Like my friends who like flavoured sparkling water:

488319.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

What’s their favourite flavor though? Pamplemoose probably

All flavours of LeCrotch taste the exact same. You can easily replicate that flavour at home by getting a Coke and McDonalds, drinking it quickly before the ice melts, then allowing the ice to melt. That melted ice, with an infinitesimally small hint of sweetness, that's the flavour. Now imagine that fizzy; that's every flavour of LeCrotch. Every. Single. One.

I usually go for tickets to a concert or a comedy gig

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Books? Biographies for people he might have a lot of time for/admire etc. That's what I resorted to for my aul lad. John Cleese, Paxman, Springsteen, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Christan Wade giving this NFL lark a hell of a shot. Odds of making the roster still against him but maybe...

https://mobile.twitter.com/BuffaloBills/status/1162539385474019328

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Should have stayed outside.

Hell of a run though

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

We get my dad a subscription to the Irish Times for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Some good calls lads thank you.

The brothers and myself threw in a few quid to send him and the mother to Australia to visit the youngest brother. Just wanted something else to wrap up as a present.

Some good calls lads thank you.

The brothers and myself threw in a few quid to send him and the mother to Australia to visit the youngest brother. Just wanted something else to wrap up as a present.

aac&sz=500

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Outstanding game so far despite the weather, but Hogan's potentially ruined it there. Absolutely brain-dead

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Absolute madness from Hogan. No debate on that decision by the (assistant) ref. Pity as it was a fierce battle up to that point.

I've opted to buy a bike for those still on the edge of their seats btw. Bus to work 3 days a week isn't the worst thing in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭DGRulz

That's amazing, my niece has CF any and all discoveries like this are very welcome.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement