Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

I think Wexford could rue this for a while I'm afraid

A man up and 5 points up and even when Tipp reel it back the first time they manage to nab a goal against the run of play and still can't push on. And Tipp even had 3 disallowed goals

Really thought this was the year for them to do a Clare 2013. They've a great recent record v KK too

I never would have picked tipp v kk at start of year but should we be really surprised? Even with non-vintage sides the traditional big guns just know how to win knockout matches

TCPIP wrote: »
    Everything tbh. There'll also be some Munster watching but Leinster are the focus.

The fracturing of these rights are just the biggest pain. Why can't I just pay the competition's directly ffs?

That's very tempting tbh. Does it work with Apple TV? My other issue is I'd be worried about general lag or buffering you know?

Edit: http://live.rugbypass.com/appletv/

Well that's that sorted so!

Rugbypass doesn't officially work in Ireland so you'll need a workaround. I'm not sure its legal so can't discuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Rugbypass doesn't officially work in Ireland so you'll need a workaround. I'm not sure its legal so can't discuss.

VPNs are legal. If you want to use a Chromecast though you'll likely need a router that can run the VPN as opposed to just an app on your phone or laptop, as both the Chromecast and device typically have to be on the same subnet for decent streaming.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Need an electrician to swap out an old fuse board that uses ****ing ceramic fuses. There were 3 spares when we bought the house and I just plugged in the last of em. Hardware shop on George's Street didn't have em, so I think it's time to get it sorted.

Any recommendations?

Not sure if anyone has been following it, the Loudest voice is a decent TV show following the rise of Fox News.

Very depressing to watch but interesting all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭swiwi_

dregin wrote: »
    Need an electrician to swap out an old fuse board that uses ****ing ceramic fuses. There were 3 spares when we bought the house and I just plugged in the last of em. Hardware shop on George's Street didn't have em, so I think it's time to get it sorted.

Any recommendations?

There is/was an awesome hardware store in rathfarnham next to the supermarket (super value I think). My memory is hazy so if not rathfarnham then rath-something. But they had everything, it was real old school. Someone who’s actually from Dublin might be able to pinpoint the place better.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,020 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

dregin wrote: »

Any recommendations?

any fear the whole house may need a rewiring?

are the wires which come from your ceiling to the lights a type that look twisted / ropelike?

it would be unusual to upgrade a house wiring without replacing those fuse boards for a proper MCB board.

i shudder when i hear of a house with the old screw-in wire fuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭swiwi_

If there's something heavy in your neighbourhood
    Who you gonna call?

No, not ghostbusters. But the guards. Not garda siochana. But the Swiss guards. Or rather a Swiss guard. Turns out our neighbour was a Swiss guard, responsible for the safety of Pope John Paul II. And he can lift a heavy table with the best of them.

He's promised to let me have a whirl in the uniform, hopefully with halberd in tow.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

sydthebeat wrote: »
    any fear the whole house may need a rewiring?

are the wires which come from your ceiling to the lights a type that look twisted / ropelike?

it would be unusual to upgrade a house wiring without replacing those fuse boards for a proper MCB board.

i shudder when i hear of a house with the old screw-in wire fuses.

Twisted. We know the house needs a rewire, but also plan on an extension in the not too distant future. Plan is to replace the fusebox now and have the place rewired when getting the other work done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Support for Windows 7 ending in Jan 20. Much prefer it to Windows 10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Just watched the original Willy Wonka and the Chocolate factory on a flight. Hadn't watched it since I was around 10 I'd say.

Two things:
    1. Gene Wilder is phenomenal.
    2. Good God that movie is not for kids. Mad how you think Wonka is a legend when you're young, and totally miss what a scheming, barely contained psychopath he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Not sure if anyone has been following it, the Loudest voice is a decent TV show following the rise of Fox News.

Very depressing to watch but interesting all the same.

Where's that? Sounds good.

troyzer wrote: »
    Where's that? Sounds good.

It's very good. Russell Crowe should probably get some recognition for his portrayal of Roger Ailes. It spans the start of Fox, through to the 9/11 and shows how they began coordinating with the Bush White house and ultimately became the voice of the Republican party.

It's upto the end of the Obama era now and Trump is coming onto the horizon. It's only a few episodes long but another top quality mini series.

Not sure what channel it's on as I downloaded it. Last episode is out in the coming days as far as I know.

Edit: it's on Showtime - here is the trailer.

At a glance, it's reviews aren't great. I wonder are they genuine or are they from people who disagree politically.

At a glance, it's reviews aren't great. I wonder are they genuine or are they from people who disagree politically.

I wondered that myself. Seems reasonably well sourced to be honest, huge amount of evidence about Ailes and his behaviour from countless sources.

Its getting a lot of hate from the political right in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

That shows being criticized from all directions really. Not just the right wing. Laurie Luhn who was one of Ailes’ alleged victims sued the show. I think she settled eventually. She alleges they never even informed her of it which is a really ****ty thing if true.

NPR wrote a pretty negative review and pointed out that ironic fact: “Here comes the first television production directly dramatizing a modern-day, high-profile sexual harassment case — yet it does so in a way that almost feels like its own type of exploitation.” - https://www.npr.org/2019/06/28/736822329/loud-but-not-captivating-drama-about-fox-news-chief-roger-ailes-falls-flat

That shows being criticized from all directions really. Not just the right wing. Laurie Luhn who was one of Ailes’ alleged victims sued the show. I think she settled eventually. She alleges they never even informed her of it which is a really ****ty thing if true.

NPR wrote a pretty negative review and pointed out that ironic fact: “Here comes the first television production directly dramatizing a modern-day, high-profile sexual harassment case — yet it does so in a way that almost feels like its own type of exploitation.” - https://www.npr.org/2019/06/28/736822329/loud-but-not-captivating-drama-about-fox-news-chief-roger-ailes-falls-flat

I'm not sure if it was settled or just dropped, but her accusations have been public for a long time. I agree that the show may have benefited from her insight but then again it's not a documentary.

From the NPR article you linked I take issue specifically with this part relating to Crowe's performance:
    But in the three episodes provided for preview, he's not at all captivating — and neither is The Loudest Voice as an ongoing drama

I personally thought his performance is one of the best TV performances this year out of anything I've watched. Genuinely intense and at times unhinged.

My recommendation stands, I think it's well worth a watch. There is virtually nothing on TV where I'm actively awaiting the next episode, I'm very keen to see the final two so it's been captivating for me at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

The Boys on Amazon Prime is great stuff. It’s not good but it IS great

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I'm replaying GTA5 after a year or so away.

It's still frightening how much depth that game has.

I played that game a lot back in the day but only ever played online.

Really should go back and play through the campaign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

One of the most unfortunate things about GTA is how many people miss out on incredible writing and cutting satire because it's dressed up in a video game with a sketchy rep.

My god. The mission when you blow up "not mark zuckerberg" with the bomb in the phone is one of the best things going.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,335 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

errlloyd wrote: »
    One of the most unfortunate things about GTA is how many people miss out on incredible writing and cutting satire because it's dressed up in a video game with a sketchy rep.

My god. The mission when you blow up "not mark zuckerberg" with the bomb in the phone is one of the best things going.

That and the single player story and the way the characters interact are superb. The scene where Michael and Trevor meet in the kitchen is fantastically tense as you see the family slowly realise who he is, what a nutcase he is and how this might go. And then it goes off in a totally unexpected direction.

Trevor is easily my favourite character.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Haven't played GTA since Vice City, how many versions have there been since? Can you play them on a macbook?

• Administrators Posts: 53,369 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Haven't played GTA since Vice City, how many versions have there been since? Can you play them on a macbook?

San Andreas (IMO the best one)
    GTA4
    GTA5

Plus a few spin offs of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

GTAV is the best story mode game I've ever played. Played it through a good few times too, to see the different branches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I lost a good 6 months to GTAV. I never played it online though as I was afraid it would ruin me.

Best video game ever.

errlloyd wrote: »

Hmmm. Don't know about that. The satire is absolutely in there but the story doesn't really make sense, like at all. If it was turned a TV show, it would be shockingly bad.

"But I did KIDNAP HIS WIFE"
    https://youtu.be/zx961_OoASU

I never laughed as hard at a video game line. The voice acting is again, frightening!

My Daddy WAS NOT NICE TO ME!

RIP Mr. Raspberry Jam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

If the mods decide this comes under politics, feel free to delete. This is a 20 year old sketch but could so easily have been written today.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement