Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,329 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Never cared for cricket anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

mfceiling wrote: »
    I spent 25 minutes last year watching 3 french men build a wall lining system that would have taken me about 15 minutes.... and they still did it wrong!!

Had two lads visit me in Rome for a match in 2013 that we're not going to talk about. One's a builder, the other a carpenter. Of all the spectacular sights the city had to offer guess what caught their eye? Guess what they stared at for nearly 15 minutes and discussed in great depth?

The scaffolding around the Coliseum for renovation work, and how they got it so tight to a curved wall....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Had two lads visit me in Rome for a match in 2013 that we're not going to talk about. One's a builder, the other a carpenter. Of all the spectacular sights the city had to offer guess what caught their eye? Guess what they stared at for nearly 15 minutes and discussed in great depth?

The scaffolding around the Coliseum for renovation work, and how they got it so tight to a curved wall....

It's a learned habit. I sit at mass every Christmas and wonder how they got the vaulted ceilings so symmetrical. Show me a historical site and I'm thinking of how they built it, the logistics in getting the materials there and the manpower needed to do the job.

I don't know if anyone else does this or is it a Nordie thing (awec?). When I go into a new pub or restaurant I make a note of the available exits and the quickest way out!! Fair sure it's a throwback to the troubles for me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I don't know if anyone else does this or is it a Nordie thing (awec?). When I go into a new pub or restaurant I make a note of the available exits and the quickest way out!! Fair sure it's a throwback to the troubles for me.

For everyone else it's simply a matter of escaping should an ex you split on bad terms with walks in...

It's a learned habit. I sit at mass every Christmas and wonder how they got the vaulted ceilings so symmetrical. Show me a historical site and I'm thinking of how they built it, the logistics in getting the materials there and the manpower needed to do the job.

Never go to Egypt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Typical nordie trying to skip out on paying

• Registered Users Posts: 17,747 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Can't say it's a familiar habit to me. Although my pubbing days only started in the late 90s so maybe I'm too young for the Troubles explanation...any excuse to say I'm too young...

Although to this day I always get a bit jittery walking past randomly parked vans or cars in Belfast city centre, I'm pretty sure that's a throwback to the 90s and the tail end of the Troubles and being in the next street when the Europa was bombed for the umpteenth time.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

As far as amazing sights go, the Sistine Chapel's ceiling was mesmerising. I've never seen anything like it.

https://twitter.com/CatholicHerald/status/1153606280663228418?s=19

Amazing.
    He'll insist on being addressed by his proper title.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Address him by his proper title you little bollox

• Advertisement

My apologies.

His Grace will insist on being addressed by his proper title, you little bollox.

How's the son?

As far as amazing sights go, the Sistine Chapel's ceiling was mesmerising. I've never seen anything like it.

"They did it all wrong"

- mfceiling

"They did it all wrong"

- mfceiling

CA4rCpmWAAA3M7t.jpg

Shoddy workmanship. Shoddy! Shoddy!

Not sure if this breaks the charter, isn't so much talking about 'politics' and more the operation of political parties.

Had an interesting chat with someone I know who is heavily involved in Fianna Fail. Some interesting stuff, the main parties are fully communicating on Brexit and have basically committed to a unified approach behind the government. It's quite sensible but you would have to consider it fairly patriotic by all involved also.

I don't think that's a major surprise, since FF have said they are willing to maintain the status quo in the Dáil while the Brexit matter is ongoing.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,016 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Not sure if this breaks the charter, isn't so much talking about 'politics' and more the operation of political parties.

Had an interesting chat with someone I know who is heavily involved in Fianna Fail. Some interesting stuff, the main parties are fully communicating on Brexit and have basically committed to a unified approach behind the government. It's quite sensible but you would have to consider it fairly patriotic by all involved also.

Brexit will lead to the break up of the UK and the reunification of Ireland... you heard it here first

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Brexit will lead to the break up of the UK and the reunification of Ireland... you heard it here first

Not sure if this is a joke. But I've heard this about a million different places already.

"They did it all wrong"

- mfceiling

Shamefully I've been in Rome 5 or 6 times and I've never went into the Sistine Chapel. Had a mooch outside the Vatican and bent the ear of herself about the display of wealth of the CC!!

*Remember to give generously the next time you're in mass*

Shamefully I've been in Rome 5 or 6 times and I've never went into the Sistine Chapel. Had a mooch outside the Vatican and bent the ear of herself about the display of wealth of the CC!!

The actual eff is wrong with you Sir.
    Seriously don't miss out the next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

sydthebeat wrote: »

Will never happen in our lifetime. The decision on which Mr Tayto to keep will always keep the two communities apart.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,329 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

:eek:

Even ignoring the Sistine Chapel (which you shouldn't!) the Vatican museum itself is absolutely stunning.

The English hurling is going well.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    :eek:

Even ignoring the Sistine Chapel (which you shouldn't!) the Vatican museum itself is absolutely stunning.

I know I know I know!! The wife's brother lives in Rome and he wants to show us "waaaay better" sh*te than the usual tourist stuff!!
    To be fair I've drank in some deadly bars and eaten in restaurants where the place is full of locals, there's no menu to talk of and not a single word of English was uttered!! It's a magnificent city to be fair and I'll be back.

Not sure what pissed me off more - St Peters in Rome or San Marco in Venice. Like, the latter literally has a gold ceiling. Gold. And Irish tax payers are on the hook for abuse reparations. It's beyond egregious.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I know I know I know!! The wife's brother lives in Rome and he wants to show us "waaaay better" sh*te than the usual tourist stuff!!
    To be fair I've drank in some deadly bars and eaten in restaurants where the place is full of locals, there's no menu to talk of and not a single word of English was uttered!! It's a magnificent city to be fair and I'll be back.

This is gonna sound pretty obvious, but Rome for the 6 Nations is one of the best trips I've ever done, would highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Potential for something pretty extraordinary to happen at Lords today in the cricket. Barely believable

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Potential for something pretty extraordinary to happen at Lords today in the cricket. Barely believable

I'm trying to get my around it.... Is this a continuation from during the week? Ireland have to beat 303 total in this second innings? Is there a third innings?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I'm trying to get my around it.... Is this a continuation from during the week? Ireland have to beat 303 total in this second innings? Is there a third innings?

No third innings. We need 182 from this innings to win. The game ends when we finish batting. We can take as long as we want, we have two days.

• Advertisement

errlloyd wrote: »
    No third innings. We need 182 from this innings to win. The game ends when we finish batting. We can take as long as we want, we have two days.

5 wickets already seems like a bad thing...?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement