Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,184 ✭✭✭✭Buer

hahashake wrote:
    I wonder whether it is a deliberate snub after the format change means Ireland isn't involved this time.

I'd like to think they're not so petty. Eoin Morgan is on the brink of lifting the CWC trophy. He's captain of a side that are likely to be champions of one of the biggest sports in the world. Like it or not, this automatically makes him one of the most successful Irish sports people of all time. The continued lack of coverage is just sad at this point. The RTE website actually had a report on the other semi final between NZ and India but nothing on England and Australia where Morgan smashed a 4 to win the match. It's a shame a born and bred Dubliner is getting zero recognition.

On another note, cracking performance by the Irish side last night to beat Zimbabwe. Brilliant innings from Paul Sterling with 83 from 36 deliveries.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

Buer wrote: »
    I'd like to think they're not so petty. Eoin Morgan is on the brink of lifting the CWC trophy. He's captain of a side that are likely to be champions of one of the biggest sports in the world. Like it or not, this automatically makes him one of the most successful Irish sports people of all time. The continued lack of coverage is just sad at this point. The RTE website actually had a report on the other semi final between NZ and India but nothing on England and Australia where Morgan smashed a 4 to win the match. It's a shame a born and bred Dubliner is getting zero recognition.

On another note, cracking performance by the Irish side last night to beat Zimbabwe. Brilliant innings from Paul Sterling with 83 from 36 deliveries.

Does the fact he is playing for England negate this somewhat? Even if his choice was purely pragmatic.

But if they cover other sports even based purely on global interest then surely the CWC deserves a mention.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Ah lads it's just RTE turning the tables on the BBC. You know how they jump on a story of an Irish athlete winning something and call them British... RTE just doing the same here. Ignore it til the Brits win then have a headline story about "Irish man World Champion"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Made the German news here with the headline Top of the Morgan to Eoin.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

swiwi_ wrote: »

Nice double pun.

I'd say both England and NZ have a similar chance of doing the double this year.

• Advertisement

troyzer wrote: »
    10/10.

Would read Swiwi travel reviews again.

ampolla-0,7-litres.jpg

I'll throw in some drink advice while I'm at it.

So it turns out the Pallars Jussa region has its own Liqueur: Ratafia dels Raiers. It's made from macerated walnuts and 22 aromatic plants, roots and spices.

It tasted to me like a Catalan version of Drambuie (of which I am a fan), but at a fraction of the price (€12 for 700 mls or €14 for 1L).

Suffice to say, a couple of bottles made their way back from Catalonia to Helvetica.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,764 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

On the 9 o’clock RTÉ news
    Sadly no puns

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Suffice to say, a couple of bottles made their way back from Catalonia to Helvetica.
    I thought at first that was a typo

stephen_n wrote: »
    I thought at first that was a typo

But also a font! Well spotted Stephen and my sincere apologies to the forum for my Latin error, Switzerland being of course formerly known as Helvetia. So hard to find adequate posters these days, standards have slipped since I was a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

You have to love the technology in cricket. Checking LBW...Simple...Foot on the line, check the front on, check for sound on the bat, virtual ball line to wicket. 20 seconds and it's done!!
    Compared to VAR there's no contest. So quick and efficient.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

So who are all you Paddies supporting in the cricket today?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Yeah_Right wrote: »

Who's playing???

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Who's playing???

Well I know that you are supporting NZ. The great Highlander, Jeff Wilson, also played cricket for NZ. Therefore you are a kiwi cricket fan today.

The Brits.... Unfortunately. I'm actually not concerned who wins tbh. Just happy to have my feet up watching this in peace and quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I won't say we were best mates or anything but sort of knew Eoin Morgan as a youth so have to go for England.

Yeah_Right wrote:

I would imagine the vast majority of people who have an interest in cricket will be hoping for England to win. Then there will be those who have no interest but simply don't want England to win.

In summary, nobody will actually be supporting NZ.

Good start by them though. Building solidly for only one wicket. They'll put up a very solid total at this rate. No team has won at Lords in this tournament after batting second. Signs are good for your bunch.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Well I know that you are supporting NZ. The great Highlander, Jeff Wilson, also played cricket for NZ. Therefore you are a kiwi cricket fan today.

I've watched one game of cricket in my life, Ireland v England in 2011..

I hadn't a clue what was going on

I won't say we were best mates or anything but sort of knew Eoin Morgan as a youth so have to go for England.

I havent cheated by looking at wiki. But based on his accent when I heard him speak he grew up in Ireland rather than born in England to Irish parents.

I never generally support England in sport but in cricket if they are playing Australia they have my full support.

NZ need to get 300 in my opinion. England do have a bit of a choking history in cricket though. Not at South African levels but still.

I would imagine the vast majority of people who have an interest in cricket will be hoping for England to win. Then there will be those who have no interest but simply don't want England to win.

Shut up Buer ðŸ˜

They were looking very solid to get there but that second wicket rattled them. They haven't kicked on at all and England are attacking them now. A 4th wicket and NZ may struggle to get to 250.

Edit: And there it is. England move into the ascendancy and should be in a strong position when they bat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Good start by them though. Building solidly for only one wicket. They'll put up a very solid total at this rate. No team has won at Lords in this tournament after batting second. Signs are good for your bunch.

He's from Dublin, think one of his parents is English.

What do people think about 1 captain appeal per team in rugby??

What do people think about 1 captain appeal per team in rugby??

I think in general, I'd be open to discussing it.

NZ haven't really sparked at all but England have really given them a helping hand with some erratic deliveries. At one point NZ scored 23 off 3 overs, 13 of which were extras. 29 extras in total so far.

NZ haven't really sparked at all but England have really given them a helping hand with some erratic deliveries. At one point NZ scored 23 off 3 overs, 13 of which were extras. 29 extras in total so far.

Thought NZ would get closer to 260 - 280. England have kept them fairly quiet bar those overs.
    England need to start fast and not leave themselves needing a lot of runs from the middle order.

mfceiling wrote: »
    Thought NZ would get closer to 260 - 280. England have kept them fairly quiet bar those overs.
    England need to start fast and not leave themselves needing a lot of runs from the middle order.

I've Joe Root at 10/1 for MOTM so hoping he gets in early and puts NZ to the sword.

England batting has generally been fairly prolific in this tournament. If NZ are to win, they'll need to take wickets and do it early.

NZ batting in the final overs was poor. Should have been throwing themselves at everything. Ducking the final delivery was bizarre. It's the CWC final, there's absolutely nothing to lose.

I've Joe Root at 10/1 for MOTM so hoping he gets in early and puts NZ to the sword.

England batting has generally been fairly prolific in this tournament. If NZ are to win, they'll need to take wickets and do it early.

NZ batting in the final overs was poor. Should have been throwing themselves at everything. Ducking the final delivery was bizarre. It's the CWC final, there's absolutely nothing to lose.

Yeah that was crazy. I know the lower order lads aren't that great with the bat but they should have been trying to have a lash at everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Kilkenny with a very strong showing here. A bit to go yet but it's looking good for them.

Kilkenny with a very strong showing here. A bit to go yet but it's looking good for them.

And as usual with hurling, Cork have now cut the lead from eight points to three in a few minutes.

• Advertisement

Kilkenny win comfortably in the end and set up a very intriguing semi-final with Limerick.

Patrick Horgan is close to being the Ciaran McDonald of Cork. An all-time great but is running out of time to win an All-Ireland.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement