Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,953 ✭✭✭OldRio

Have I heard that Trump speech correctly or am I missing context but 'taking over the airports'?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,623 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

OldRio wrote: »
    Have I heard that Trump speech correctly or am I missing context but 'taking over the airports'?

Yup.

Said they took over airports in the 18th century during the war of independence.

Are you really surprised?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,263 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

He can't even read a teleprompter right.....

The man's a dangerous idiot

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

mfceiling wrote: »
    Just found out today that one of my best friend's brother in law took his own life.
    Wife's 1st cousin did the same at Christmas. My 1st cousin did it a few years back.
    What did they have in common? Middle aged men with young families.
    It's a horrendous thing to happen to any family.
    Talking to a few lads in work today and every single one had a similar story of a friend or family member.

No matter how bad things are don't be afraid to ask for help or talk to someone. I've a very good friend going through a bad time at the minute. Every day he bends the ear off me and we break down what supports are there, where his head is at and sometimes just have a laugh at the absurdity of his situation. He told me that he'd be in a seriously dark place if he didn't have me to chat to. Now I'm far from a councillor or anything like that but I try to keep his spirits up and check in with him every weekend to make sure he's still on the right path.

TLDR....Keep an eye on each other and take care of yourself.

I would highly recommend getting Assist training. It’s first aid for suicide if you will. Anyone can do the training, but it’s a two day course so it’s a commitment, but well worth it. Suicide is such a huge issue, yet because of the stigma involved it doesn’t get anywhere near the attention it should. 392 deaths last year by suicide, but they reckon it could be double that in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

stephen_n wrote: »
    I would highly recommend getting Assist training. It’s first aid for suicide if you will. Anyone can do the training, but it’s a two day course so it’s a commitment, but well worth it. Suicide is such a huge issue, yet because of the stigma involved it doesn’t get anywhere near the attention it should. 392 deaths last year by suicide, but they reckon it could be double that in reality.
    I will second that. Did it in university and 2 days of doing it worth so so much more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭kuang1

I would highly recommend getting Assist training. It’s first aid for suicide if you will. Anyone can do the training, but it’s a two day course so it’s a commitment, but well worth it. Suicide is such a huge issue, yet because of the stigma involved it doesn’t get anywhere near the attention it should. 392 deaths last year by suicide, but they reckon it could be double that in reality .

And some.

"death by misadventure" is a common conclusion the coroner comes to in cases of suicide.
    A lot of those single vehicle accidents where the car hits a wall are suicides. (the news won't include details of a seat belt not being worn and airbags being disabled)
    I could relay multiple anecdotes of deaths by suicide that were officially labelled otherwise.
    I had a client a few years back who worked in one of the busiest morgues in the country.
    He estimated that the true suicide rate was at minimum 3 times the official figure, and could be as high as 5 times it.

Were the true number to be known, it could bring down a government.

kuang1 wrote: »
    And some.

"death by misadventure" is a common conclusion the coroner comes to in cases of suicide.
    A lot of those single vehicle accidents where the car hits a wall are suicides. (the news won't include details of a seat belt not being worn and airbags being disabled)
    I could relay multiple anecdotes of deaths by suicide that were officially labelled otherwise.
    I had a client a few years back who worked in one of the busiest morgues in the country.
    He estimated that the true suicide rate was at minimum 3 times the official figure, and could be as high as 5 times it.

Were the true number to be known, it could bring down a government.

Yeah it’s very hard to tell, unless someone indicated they are going to suicide, or they leave a note. It’s nearly always recorded as something else. Same with the figures for attempts. If you don’t admit you were attempting suicide, it’s not recorded as such. Convenient politically really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

It's nothing to do with politics.

If a suicide death is deliberately misrecorded as something else, that is done for the benefit of the family due to the lingering stigma around suicide.

Another toxic hangover from the malign and, let's be honest, evil influence of the Catholic church on Irish life.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

If a suicide death is deliberately misrecorded as something else, that is done for the benefit of the family due to the lingering stigma around suicide.

Another toxic hangover from the malign and, let's be honest, evil influence of the Catholic church on Irish life.
    Or insurance. Life assurance doesn't cover suicide, and I can't imagine mortgage protection covering it either. Death by misadventure will be covered by insurers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭kuang1

I know a woman who lost her daughter to suicide. Threw herself into the sea.
    Death was not recorded as suicide. The mother wanted it to be. She was told that an inquest would be needed and the burial would need to be delayed by weeks or possibly months.

The system is set up to minimise deaths recorded as suicide.
    The paltry sums budgeted to mental health would be much more in the public eye were the true number of deaths by suicide be known.

It does indeed have a political aspect to it.

Oops no politics! :)

• Advertisement

It’s politically expedient to not have to deal with the real figures. Yes social stigma as a Catholic hangup is a factor too, but they are not the ones pulling the strings on reporting. It would require political change for that to happen. That’s not in reference to the current government, it’s the overall landscape and civil servants keeping that status quo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

It’s politically expedient to not have to deal with the real figures. Yes social stigma as a Catholic hangup is a factor too, but they are not the ones pulling the strings on reporting. It would require political change for that to happen. That’s not in reference to the current government, it’s the overall landscape and civil servants keeping that status quo.

There's no-one pulling the strings on reporting.

Non-natural deaths must be ruled upon by a coroner. Every county has its own independent coroner(s), who are usually GPs or solicitors who have volunteered themselves, i.e. none of them are civil servants. They are the only people who are able to rule a death a suicide or otherwise.

Suicides might be under-reported but it's not a government conspiracy.

There's no-one pulling the strings on reporting.

Non-natural deaths must be ruled upon by a coroner. Every county has its own independent coroner(s), who are usually GPs or solicitors who have volunteered themselves, i.e. none of them are civil servants. They are the only people who are able to rule a death a suicide or otherwise.

Suicides might be under-reported but it's not a government conspiracy.

Yes because that’s what I said, government conspiracy :rolleyes: hyperbole much?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Government are under less pressure from the nature of classification and reporting, which likely arises from a mix of economic, social and religious reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Laois, the McDonagh Cup winners, have caused one of the biggest hurling upsets, knocking out Dublin.

Their prize is a tough quarter-final against Tipperary but what a story!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Laois, the McDonagh Cup winners, have caused one of the biggest hurling upsets, knocking out Dublin.

Their prize is a tough quarter-final against Tipperary but what a story!

Deadly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭swiwi_

mfceiling wrote: »
    I was reading about a guy who lived near there when it happened. He watched the series and said in the first 10 minute's he counted 17 inaccuracies on 1 hand alone.

Not sure what’s more alarming. That. Or the little known fact that all workers spoke fluent English, which they preferred to their native Russian.

I will have to grin and bear it while concentrating on the narrative. One of those stick in the muds I know, but Russian with subtitles would have been better. But no doubt I’m in the minority.

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Not sure what’s more alarming. That. Or the little known fact that all workers spoke fluent English, which they preferred to their native Russian.

I will have to grin and bear it while concentrating on the narrative. One of those stick in the muds I know, but Russian with subtitles would have been better. But no doubt I’m in the minority.

Whoooooooooosh

Whoooooooooosh

Nah I got the joke so whooosh your good self.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Small whinge though, to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

swiwi_ wrote: »

I get what you're saying but I probably wouldn't watch it if it all subtitled. I'm lazy like that. I don't mind subtitled bits in English language films or shows but I don't enjoy entire movies in subtitles.

I'm just glad they didn't put on awful Russian accents. That always bugs me. Either use actors that speak the language and subtitle it or have them just speak English.

There's two new series on Netflix, "How to sell drugs online fast" and "family business", they're both German shows but they've just dubbed all of the scenes and it's really annoying when you can clearly see the actors are talking a completely different language to what you're hearing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

There's two new series on Netflix, "How to sell drugs online fast" and "family business", they're both German shows but they've just dubbed all of the scenes and it's really annoying when you can clearly see the actors are talking a completely different language to what you're hearing.

You can change settings on Netflix to hear them speak German, with English subs. That's how I watched How to sell drugs. And Dark.

Can't stand dubbing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

I've always loved this image when it comes to dubbing:

93lm2syt45811.png

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSyHcTHkic8DS7AxzYyILAujragNdgVrINw4T_Wy1Cr2DseJh3Z

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

troyzer wrote: »
    I've always loved this image when it comes to dubbing:

93lm2syt45811.png

yeah the standard of English in Portugal is excellent (at least, it was in Lisbon when I visited) so it makes sense that they don't dub that much.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I really, really hate dubbed shows/movies. They are an abomination.

Synode wrote: »
    You can change settings on Netflix to hear them speak German, with English subs. That's how I watched How to sell drugs. And Dark.

Can't stand dubbing

Clearly you didn’t grow up watching this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Yeeeeeeeeeooooooo. Thanks, Englischers.

• Advertisement

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I get what you're saying but I probably wouldn't watch it if it all subtitled. I'm lazy like that. I don't mind subtitled bits in English language films or shows but I don't enjoy entire movies in subtitles.

I'm just glad they didn't put on awful Russian accents. That always bugs me. Either use actors that speak the language and subtitle it or have them just speak English.

I agree with you there. Nothing worse than those old war movies with actors speaking English with a fake German accent “Ve ave killed all ze baddies”.

But watching Chernobyl and hearing Jessie Buckley’s Irish accent in her role as the Russian wife of a Russian firefighter (who has a regional English accent) just takes the gloss of it a bit.

The show is decent enough but not as amazing as this thread had lead me to believe. In saying that I’m only at episode 3.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement