Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

swiwi_ wrote: »
    The show is decent enough but not as amazing as this thread had lead me to believe. In saying that I’m only at episode 3.

This thread? It's the top rated TV show of all time on imdb! Don't blame us for the hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Just watched the first episode last night. Very good but I will admit the english speaking is slightly off putting!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

mfceiling wrote: »
    Just watched the first episode last night. Very good but I will admit the english speaking is slightly off putting!!

Check out the accompanying podcast, its very good.

They addressed this in the first episode of the podcast.
    They were obviously making it for an English speaking audience so English was the plan. They were initially going to get the actors to use vaguely eastern European accents but decided it would take from their performances.
    "The decision not to use Russian accents was a big one that we made early on. We had an initial thought that we didn't want to do the 'Boris and Natasha' cliched accent because the Russian accent can turn comic very easily. At first, we thought that maybe we would have people do these sort of vaguely Eastern European accents - not really strong but noticeable.

"What we found very quickly is that actors will act accents. They will not act, they will act accents and we were losing everything about these people that we loved. Honestly, I think after maybe one or two auditions we said 'Ok, new rule. We're not doing that anymore," said Mazin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

The show is decent enough but not as amazing as this thread had lead me to believe. In saying that I’m only at episode 3.

I felt the same. It was good and it was interesting but it wasn't as amazing as I was expecting. I felt the same about Breaking Bad. It was good and I enjoyed it but it didn't match the hype for me.

Probably not everyone's cup of tea but Stranger Things is very entertaining.

• Advertisement

Probably not everyone's cup of tea but Stranger Things is very entertaining.

I've read that Netflix's own studies indicated that Stranger Things season 1 was the most addictive show they created, both in terms of the percentage of people who had watched a certain chunk of episode one and finished, and in terms of the speed at which people watched it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

errlloyd wrote: »
    I've read that Netflix's own studies indicated that Stranger Things season 1 was the most addictive show they created, both in terms of the percentage of people who had watched a certain chunk of episode one and finished, and in terms of the speed at which people watched it.

I binge watched the series on a return train journey this weekend. It was excellent.

I binge watched the series on a return train journey this weekend. It was excellent.

It was one of those shows that after an excellent first season you expect the quality to taper off but it's still top drawer.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,263 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

It was one of those shows that after an excellent first season you expect the quality to taper off but it's still top drawer.

At eight episodes it's a bit short, but it means the tempo is always high

• Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭swiwi_

errlloyd wrote: »
    This thread? It's the top rated TV show of all time on imdb! Don't blame us for the hype.

Some of the science/medicine is just wrong too. But makes for good tv.

So I’ve got a Russian scenario with English speakers and at times incorrect medicine/science.

The costumes/set design etc are grand and I’ve done a bit more reading around the incident but there is no way this is the best bit of tv ever. Not even close.

• Advertisement

Some of the science/medicine is just wrong too. But makes for good tv.

So I’ve got a Russian scenario with English speakers and at times incorrect medicine/science.

The costumes/set design etc are grand and I’ve done a bit more reading around the incident but there is no way this is the best bit of tv ever. Not even close.

I think the science is pretty all right, it resists the urge to be much more dramatic than it was. I can't remember any scenes of vomiting of blood specifically, maybe in Episode One one of the plant workers vomits blood on another. I've read a good few of those "list of things Chernobyl got wrong" articles. And many of them seem to be written before the final episode where the show specifically ties up the loose ends on things like the birth defects, official casualties, bridge of death, divers etc. Tbh I think a lot of those articles are just taking a counter position for the sake of it.

Saying that only the set design and costumes are accurate is pretty unfair. Much of the dialogue is lifted verbatim from the original reports. The timelines etc are pretty damn accurate. It's not like this is a fiction about a powerplant meltdown in Russia with good costumes.
    • Each named individual in the plant is a real person, their movements, what they say and do is as it was in real life.
    • Many of the firefighters are real people, their movements and how they die is real and as depicted.
    • The timeline is perfectly correct.
    • They resisted the urge to over dramatise the divers - who for a long time where suspected to have all died.
    • The miners and other liquidators are as they were.
    • The robots and bio robots are depicted as they were, and the urge to over dramatise their roll is resisted.
    • The show does not dramatise the bridge of death as some sources claim, it makes it pretty clear at the end no one died there.
    • The show does not pander to theories of birth defects.
    • Many of the theories depicted in the show are inaccurate (how large an explosion might be, how serious the threat of ground water leakage). But although the theories are incorrect, it is accurate those theories existed and were considered by soviet scientists.

The things I think the show took too much liberty on are fairly limited. The last episode had a trial that was nothing like the actual Dyatalov Trial. Legasov in real life was a bit of a dick - apparently. The Helicopter Crash happened much later, and probably had little to do with the radiation being admitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

lads, currently get my house built and am trying to figure out what cabling to use for ethernet ports in each room. should i go with cat6 or 6a?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,623 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

MaybeMaybe wrote: »
    lads, currently get my house built and am trying to figure out what cabling to use for ethernet ports in each room. should i go with cat6 or 6a?

Depends on the length, Cat 6 is 10gbps up to 37 metres, 6a is up to 100m and has twice the bandwidth. Big cost difference in termination for 6a, but it's futureproofing I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭swiwi_

So for part of this years family summer holiday, we’ve gone right off the beaten track to the Pallars Jussà région of Catalonia. It’s at the foot of the Pyrenees and feels like the Wild West/Colorado/Aussie outback etc. It’s so non touristy that speaking English is not particularly useful and a working knowledge of Spanish or Catalan would be handy. People very friendly though, which is not my usual impression of the Spanish. We experienced the most spectacular thunderstorm I have ever seen. It’s full of lovely stone houses, castles from medieval times and even abandoned villages. Population density here is 1/10 of Ireland and I wouldn’t consider Ireland an especially dense country. Cheap as chips (at least compared to Switzerland). The roads are ridiculously winding though. I’d be keen enough to come back to the area but probably a bit more to the north or else head east to be nearer to the sea. Something totally different though. And at least the heat is dry. Last week we were in the south of France and it felt like Singapore, the humidity was unbearable at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

So for part of this years family summer holiday, we’ve gone right off the beaten track to the Pallars Jussà région of Catalonia. It’s at the foot of the Pyrenees and feels like the Wild West/Colorado/Aussie outback etc. It’s so non touristy that speaking English is not particularly useful and a working knowledge of Spanish or Catalan would be handy. People very friendly though, which is not my usual impression of the Spanish. We experienced the most spectacular thunderstorm I have ever seen. It’s full of lovely stone houses, castles from medieval times and even abandoned villages. Population density here is 1/10 of Ireland and I wouldn’t consider Ireland an especially dense country. Cheap as chips (at least compared to Switzerland). The roads are ridiculously winding though. I’d be keen enough to come back to the area but probably a bit more to the north or else head east to be nearer to the sea. Something totally different though. And at least the heat is dry. Last week we were in the south of France and it felt like Singapore, the humidity was unbearable at times.

10/10.

Would read Swiwi travel reviews again.

• Administrators Posts: 53,553 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Depends on the length, Cat 6 is 10gbps up to 37 metres, 6a is up to 100m and has twice the bandwidth. Big cost difference in termination for 6a, but it's futureproofing I guess.

I’d go with the best you can reasonably afford.

Our house came with a mixture, we’ve a cat6 coming in from outside, and a cat6 coming from the router to the main switch, at which point it switches to 5e for all round the house.

5e nice and easy to crimp, cat6 would break your heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,623 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

awec wrote: »
    I’d go with the best you can reasonably afford.

Our house came with a mixture, we’ve a cat6 coming in from outside, and a cat6 coming from the router to the main switch, at which point it switches to 5e for all round the house.

5e nice and easy to crimp, cat6 would break your heart.

Yeah cost is really the main thing. Realistically you're looking at what, max 1gbps if the house is connected by FTTH, or 360/240/100 if it's standard Virgin/Eir/Sky etc, so in terms of speed and bandwidth it's much of a muchness at the moment, but it's more looking ahead so you're not throttled when FTTH is rolled out everywhere or if speeds drastically increase and looking at rewiring.

Yeah cost is really the main thing. Realistically you're looking at what, max 1gbps if the house is connected by FTTH, or 360/240/100 if it's standard Virgin/Eir/Sky etc, so in terms of speed and bandwidth it's much of a muchness at the moment, but it's more looking ahead so you're not throttled when FTTH is rolled out everywhere or if speeds drastically increase and looking at rewiring.

That Siro is the fastest thing about right now, and it's 1gbps, which cat5e can theoretically handle (in reality, you're not going to see 1gbps).

So, allowing for the usual tolerances, if you go with cat 6 and above you'll be well covered for the forseeable. Even Cat5e is likely to be fine for 10+ years.

Internet speeds, once they hit the 1gbps mark, will start seeing diminishing returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Ah lads, woke up to news of both Brendan Grace and Noel Whelan died (separately). R.I.P.

DGRulz wrote: »
    Ah lads, woke up to news of both Brendan Grace and Noel Whelan died (separately). R.I.P.

Apparently Whelan's final words were "Grace Lives"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Apparently Whelan's final words were "Grace Lives"

*slow clap.....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

The complete lack of coverage of England's CWC campaign under the leadership of an Irishman is somewhat bizarre. Not a sniff of it on RTE or The42 websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Buer wrote: »
    The complete lack of coverage of England's CWC campaign under the leadership of an Irishman is somewhat bizarre. Not a sniff of it on RTE or The42 websites.

English sports suck Buer. Come on.

What about da hurlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

What about da hurlin.

It ceased to exist last Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

It can get ta ****

It ceased to exist last Sunday.

You’re a dub?

Always thought you were from Offaly or something.

Anyone caught in that M50 traffic today?

Northbound was bollocks purely because of rubbernecking ****. Just nosy bastards causing a tailback for 4 poxy junctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Anyone caught in that M50 traffic today?

Northbound was bollocks purely because of rubbernecking ****. Just nosy bastards causing a tailback for 4 poxy junctions.

Was driving Southbound!
    Rubberneckers should be banned from motorways for life
    Midllelaners for a year

Northbound rubbernecking ****

Nordies at it again...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

I wonder whether it is a deliberate snub after the format change means Ireland isn't involved this time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement