Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Buer wrote: »
    Think that just about summed up the MHC this year.

Great showing from Limerick but not exactly an enthralling game.

The first half was pretty ferocious but the number of wides wasn't great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

The gas thing is that Tipp arguably have an easier route to the AI final than Limerick. They'll account of Dublin with little fuss and then have Wexford who had a super win today but don't have enough quality to live with Tipp

Limerick on the other hand will probably play Cork in the semi, who beat them this year and should have beat them in the semi last year

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Jaysus the stickball makes sh1te of driving in the city. It’s like Pride for culchies around Croke Park this evening, extremely drunk, brightly colored flag waving culchies falling about the place locked.

The Greatest Sport in the World™ is indeed Culchie Pride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

The Greatest Sport in the World™ is indeed Culchie Pride.

You sold your rural heritage to the devil for a coddle and pear sandwich.

• Advertisement

I see that the move has fallen through, but who is paying for the likes of Diarmaid Connolly to play in Boston for three months? I assume the player isn't "paid" but that everything (flights, accomodation etc) is paid for?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

I see that the move has fallen through, but who is paying for the likes of Diarmaid Connolly to play in Boston for three months? I assume the player isn't "paid" but that everything (flights, accomodation etc) is paid for?

Local expats who have done well and similar second generation Irish Americans. Normal players would get set up with a job and accommodation. Know some very average (by their own admission) lads who got that. Top players like Connolly would be getting a fair bit more than that I would guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,623 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

They're not paid directly for playing. They get setup in 'jobs' by expats and members of the club, and are paid for those. Could be as simple as being an ambassador for the club and running some training sessions for younger teams, and would get a nice sum for it. I know a few lads who were playing u21s who went over and got paid a nice sum and had accommodation/expenses all covered.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Cloudflare take a dive and the whole internet goes with them. One gateway shared by so many services is utter lunacy, especially when half of them don't know how to mitigate against Cloudflare outages properly.

• Administrators Posts: 53,553 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Watching the women’s World Cup for the first time, this USA team are seriously impressive on the ball.

• Advertisement

dregin wrote: »
    Cloudflare take a dive and the whole internet goes with them. One gateway shared by so many services is utter lunacy, especially when half of them don't know how to mitigate against Cloudflare outages properly.

In English? :)

Company that provides a wall that stops the big baddies from attacking websites went down, but majority of internet websites use this service and don't know what to do when it does go down

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Company that provides a wall that stops the big baddies from attacking websites went down, but majority of internet websites use this service and don't know what to do when it does go down

Can you dumb that down a touch more, doc?

Neil3030 wrote: »

Imagine An Post scanned everyone's post for bills and summons', so that you only ever receive nice post like tax refunds and birthday cards.

But then An Post breaks, and suddenly nobody is receiving any post at all. So whenever your ma is trying to send you your birthday card with the money in it, she can't find you.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

awec wrote: »
    Watching the women’s World Cup for the first time, this USA team are seriously impressive on the ball.

Yeah been watching it on and off for the last week or so. A lot more entertaining fare than the mens nonsense. The VAR thing is hilariously bad though. It's not like there isn't a perfectly functional video review system in operation elsewhere.

Neil3030 wrote: »

Imagine a wall, and on the other side is a load of websites. But there's a door through the wall, that opens if it detects you're not a baddy, or stays closed if you're up to no good.

The door broke and was stuck closed, and most of the websites didn't know how to throw a ladder over the wall to let people through.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

How many var officials do they need???

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭part time punk

dregin wrote: »

Is that why boards wasn't working on my phone earlier?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Stheno wrote: »
    How many var officials do they need???
    The VAR thing is hilariously bad though. It's not like there isn't a perfectly functional video review system in operation elsewhere.

But it was correct tonight, and didn't take an age. Well, much of an age.

Some of the outfield play this tournament has been excellent. The keeping though, generally, has been ****e.

Which has lead to some spectacular goals. Winner all round, I say. Bar the keepers, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

It was correct, but that's not what I meant when I said it was hilariously bad. The whole system of the referee going off the pitch and nobody hearing any of it so not ever really sure what is happening is mental. Maybe that isn't needed in a less technical game like soccer but I just find the whole process bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

It's the first time those officials and players have used it. It'll take some time for them to get a process that works for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Imagine An Post scanned everyone's post for bills and summons', so that you only ever receive nice post like tax refunds and birthday cards.

But then An Post breaks, and suddenly nobody is receiving any post at all. So whenever your ma is trying to send you your birthday card with the money in it, she can't find you.

Do people still send birthday cards with money in the post? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

DGRulz wrote: »

Not when Cloudfare goes down

DGRulz wrote: »

I get them from boards posters every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Most people think Eve tempted Adam in the Garden of Eden with an apple. But I reckon it was Haagen Dazs. Probably the salted caramel cheesecake.

I get them from boards posters every year.

Some people are like that, if they get a card they feel obliged to send their own.

Some people are like that, if they get a card they feel obliged to send their own.

Have you ever got a card from me Venjur?

Have you ever got a card from me Venjur?

I have never attempted to make any kind of humorous remark relating to the departure of Ruan Pienaar from Ulster so no.

Yes.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,263 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

delighted to see harrington rip it up on day 1 of the Irish Open

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Just found out today that one of my best friend's brother in law took his own life.
    Wife's 1st cousin did the same at Christmas. My 1st cousin did it a few years back.
    What did they have in common? Middle aged men with young families.
    It's a horrendous thing to happen to any family.
    Talking to a few lads in work today and every single one had a similar story of a friend or family member.

No matter how bad things are don't be afraid to ask for help or talk to someone. I've a very good friend going through a bad time at the minute. Every day he bends the ear off me and we break down what supports are there, where his head is at and sometimes just have a laugh at the absurdity of his situation. He told me that he'd be in a seriously dark place if he didn't have me to chat to. Now I'm far from a councillor or anything like that but I try to keep his spirits up and check in with him every weekend to make sure he's still on the right path.

TLDR....Keep an eye on each other and take care of yourself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement