Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

molloyjh wrote: »
    Why would someone ruin their career and their name in the process though?

I was referring to the insurance company leaking info about the case. It would suit their narrative of unfounded claims being responsible for high premiums and distract attention from the cartel investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Zzippy wrote: »
    molloyjh wrote: »
    Why would someone ruin their career and their name in the process though?

I was referring to the insurance company leaking info about the case. It would suit their narrative of unfounded claims being responsible for high premiums and distract attention from the cartel investigation.

How was this story found in the first place do we know?

The insurance company narrative is irrelevant. They're going to be fighting a legal battle, not a PR one

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

If it made it to court then the information in court documents is public right?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,021 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Perhaps I'm just a cynic but the timing of this story about a fraudulent/frivolous claim in the week when the insurance industry are being investigated for running a cartel is a tad suspicious.

For the life of me I still can't understand why we don't have a euro union wide selection when it comes to insurance.

I think we would see a lot more vigorously challenged cases if we had.

Irish centric insurance companies will ALWAYS pay up out of court as a first response

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Perhaps I'm just a cynic but the timing of this story about a fraudulent/frivolous claim in the week when the insurance industry are being investigated for running a cartel is a tad suspicious.

For the life of me I still can't understand why we don't have a euro union wide selection when it comes to insurance.

I think we would see a lot more vigorously challenged cases if we had.

Irish centric insurance companies will ALWAYS pay up out of court as a first response

We do, technically. Any European company is allowed to offer insurance in Ireland. They're just unable to without actuarial models which is closely guarded by the incumbents.

The single market is still aspirational at the moment and isn't well integrated for services yet. I expect the next parliament to do a lot of good work here, in between arguing with ultra nationalists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Back pain and headache.

Red flags for insurance companies because can’t be objectively disproven.

TD claimed both

I think this sort of thing is a little bit ingrained in the Irish mentality: « If you can rip off a higher authority than fair play to you »

There should be some sort of European law on it with fines for frivolous or fraudulent claims.

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Back pain and headache.

TD claimed both

I think this sort of thing is a little bit ingrained in the Irish mentality: « If you can rip off a higher authority than fair play to you »

There should be some sort of European law on it with fines for frivolous or fraudulent claims.

I don't think it's part of the Irish mentality. I think a few quirks in the legal system have gradually got us to the point that most people can chase a ridiculous payout risk free. That's not mentality, it's just common sense.

I'm sure there's game theory to bear it out. The systems needs radical change and apparently it might need a referendum.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

If it made it to court then the information in court documents is public right?

I saw some tweets from a barrister suggesting her medical info has been leaked ahead of the court documents actually becoming public, which would be illegal and a breach of GDPR and her privacy. As I say, suspicious timing and no one is talking about the investigation into a cartel.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Back pain and headache.

TD claimed both

Clearly the reaction to this shows it’s anything but the “Irish mentality”

• Administrators Posts: 53,369 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Anyone know anything about house alarms?

We've been quoted for ~800 to install HKC stuff throughout the house, all windows and doors etc, with 150 a year plus VAT for the monitoring.

But phone watch quote like 300 quid for full install, but monitoring is like twice as much.

The prices seem really different, not sure if I'm missing something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

That's at least two government TDs gone. Herself and Fitzgerald. We could be looking at a general now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Any time anyone asks me a question I don't want to answer from now on I'm just going to keep repeating their name and shouting "THAT IS FOR A JUDGE TO ADJUDICATE ON"

Bazzo wrote: »
    Any time anyone asks me a question I don't want to answer from now on I'm just going to keep repeating their name and shouting "THAT IS FOR A JUDGE TO ADJUDICATE ON"

This needs to become a meme. The 2019 version of "The money was only resting in my account".

Bazzo wrote: »

SEAN

SEAN

SEAN

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

"Thats not a level playing pitch, as someone who grew up on the sideline of a GAA pitch, I play fair, I don't play offside"

Wrong sport.

As someone who grew up on the side of a baseball diamond I’d say that interview was a slam dunk

"how can you sit on a swing with bottles in your hand and not expect to fall?"

"SEAN, I WAS INJURED"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

She keeps asking for a level playing field. Is she afraid she might fall over again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

1914862687a7ea1a908496ad78651d37.jpg

Hmmmm. The hotel offered to pay...but she still wanted to go to court...to recover roughly 7 grand...despite having private medical insurance.

Then trying to be the victim...media out to get her...running the marathon was part of her recovery plan...bla bla bla.

Insufferable.

I just can't believe this is real life.

You would imagine anywhere else he'd have been removed by now on grounds of incapacity. He's fully lost it.

I don't think this counts as a politics post, I mean - it's an old man shouting at a cloud.

Watching them on the news leaving RTÉ, the words of Fr Ted after the disastrous visit of three bishops to Craggy Island came to mind: “Went pretty well, I thought.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/miriam-lord-fall-gal-maria-bailey-sees-dark-forces-at-play-1.3906328?mode=amp

:pac:

For those who were wondering

1) Sit on swing
    2) Swing

Even a child can manage it

Clearly the reaction to this shows it’s anything but the “Irish mentality”

Come back to me when Lowry and Healy-Rae have been voted out by an indignant electorate.

To be fair, it’s clear that the vast majority consider her a total chancer, it’s turned into a complete comedy show.

Come back to me when Lowry and Healy-Rae have been voted out by an indignant electorate.

To be fair, it’s clear that the vast majority consider her a total chancer, it’s turned into a complete comedy show.

Can you please explain what the Irish mentality is that links a Healy-Rae and this lady? Beyond just some weird opportunity to make some broad racist criticism of Irish people?

Can you please explain what the Irish mentality is that links a Healy-Rae and this lady? Beyond just some weird opportunity to make some broad racist criticism of Irish people?

Ah settle down, he's not being racist. I think we should be honest with ourselves that our electoral system and parochial nature, in the country anyway, leads to cute hoorism and chancers getting elected.

The Healy-Raes won't be voted out, because the constituency they run in is far from the normal compared to other candidates. They're running in rural south west Ireland, and they try to target farmers and the older electorate in their constituency as looking like men of the people who will stand up for the ways of rural farmers, like with their drink driving proposals etc.

• Advertisement

The Healy-Raes won't be voted out, because the constituency they run in is far from the normal compared to other candidates. They're running in rural south west Ireland, and they try to target farmers and the older electorate in their constituency as looking like men of the people who will stand up for the ways of rural farmers, like with their drink driving proposals etc.

Whilst raking in a fortune on the state contracts for their construction companies.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement