Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭OldRio

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Come back to me when Lowry and Healy-Rae have been voted out by an indignant electorate.

So from Bailey to Healy-Rae and Irish mentality. Broad strokes you're painting. Issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭swiwi_

troyzer wrote: »
    Ah settle down, he's not being racist. I think we should be honest with ourselves that our electoral system and parochial nature, in the country anyway, leads to cute hoorism and chancers getting elected.

No I'm not being racist, at least not intentionally.

This sort of carry on by a TD is hardly a one-off occurence or unusual in the Irish political system. But these sort of characters continue to get elected to the Dail. And in some cases, like Lowry and Healy-Rae, they get re-elected repeatedly.

To me, that suggests a certain acceptance by the Irish public that this behaviour can be tolerated, provided the TD is helping out the local community.

Is that racist??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

No I'm not being racist, at least not intentionally.

This sort of carry on by a TD is hardly a one-off occurence or unusual in the Irish political system. But these sort of characters continue to get elected to the Dail. And in some cases, like Lowry and Healy-Rae, they get re-elected repeatedly.

To me, that suggests a certain acceptance by the Irish public that this behaviour can be tolerated, provided the TD is helping out the local community.

Is that racist??

Is this that different to (m)any other countries in the world?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,329 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I think local government is probably weaker in Ireland (which means TDs are more important for local matters) and the numbers of votes needed to be elected as a TD are surprisingly low.

However it exists everywhere to one degree or another.

aloooof wrote: »

Yes. The Irish system is too dépendant on TDs appeasing their local community in order to remain elected. It needs some TDs who are elected independant of their local constituency in order to make reforms without worrying about losing their seat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

aloooof wrote: »

Yes. The Irish system is too dépendant on TDs appeasing their local community in order to remain elected. It needs some TDs who are elected independant of their local constituency in order to make reforms without worrying about losing their seat.

Ireland is possibly the only country in the world which pitches incumbents against each other in a local election.

This is the natural consequence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

OldRio wrote: »
    So from Bailey to Healy-Rae and Irish mentality. Broad strokes you're painting. Issues?

I get what swiwi is saying. To me (and a lot of my southern hemisphere friends) there does appear to be an acceptance of chancers and getting one over "the man" in Irish society. Its a topic that has been discussed over beers many times and we would all have stories and anecdotes from work, sports clubs and life in general of people basically committing fraud or theft. Yet Irish people viewing it as normal or at least "ah sure, what can you do".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

We should create another off topic thread under some code name to talk politics on the rugby board. I like the pace of conversation here. But mods are gonna mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I get what swiwi is saying. To me (and a lot of my southern hemisphere friends) there does appear to be an acceptance of chancers and getting one over "the man" in Irish society. Its a topic that has been discussed over beers many times and we would all have stories and anecdotes from work, sports clubs and life in general of people basically committing fraud or theft. Yet Irish people viewing it as normal or at least "ah sure, what can you do".

I was born outside of Ireland and live and worked my entire life outside of Ireland. Anyone who thinks Ireland is unique in having rural areas who return people like this has never lived in Southern or Eastern Europe.

The very worst thing anyone can do is claim this is an Irish thing or even a provincial thing. And then give people an excuse to keep doing it, even with pride. Especially people from out of the area who are self-appointed experts on European subcultures. It’s nothing to do with race or nationality, that’s just a self-fulfilling prophecy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,329 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I was born outside of Ireland and live and worked my entire life outside of Ireland.

So essentially just a Leinster glory hunter. Probably used to be a Munster fan :pac:

• Advertisement

I was born outside of Ireland and live and worked my entire life outside of Ireland.

Whereas myself and yeah right have actually lived in Ireland. Myself for about 7 years, yeah right I think for longer and still in Ireland.

I’m only comparing Ireland to NZ and to Switzerland. I’d have absolutely no idea about Eastern Europe etc.

481334.JPG

To be fair to Ibf he immediately said Ireland was not unqiue and compared Ireland to Southern Europe.

If you hadn't cut off the screenshot you'd find,

France (21)
    Portugal (30)
    Spain (41)
    Italy (53)
    Greece (67)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

481334.JPG

i wonder who the Danes had to pay off to top that list?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭OldRio

errlloyd wrote: »
    To be fair to Ibf he immediately said Ireland was not unqiue and compared Ireland to Southern Europe.

If you hadn't cut off the screenshot you'd find,

France (21)
    Portugal (30)
    Spain (41)
    Italy (53)
    Greece (67)

Screenshot cut off? Surely not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Yeah_Right wrote: »

Sure you Australians have some absolutely disgraceful politicians

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

One of these days, we'll have definitive proof that you are Ewan MacKenna.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I wouldn't think parish pump politics or voting in alleged criminals/fraudsters is anything unique to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Whereas myself and yeah right have actually lived in Ireland. Myself for about 7 years, yeah right I think for longer and still in Ireland.

I’m only comparing Ireland to NZ and to Switzerland. I’d have absolutely no idea about Eastern Europe etc.

I have lived in Ireland. I worded that badly this morning sorry. Meant that throughout my life I’ve lived and worked outside Ireland. I’ve lived here (and currently do) for about half my life.

Swiszealand is a sh1thole country and we shouldn't let any of them in

• Advertisement

We should create another off topic thread under some code name to talk politics on the rugby board. I like the pace of conversation here. But mods are gonna mod.

I nominate errlloyd to start a "definitely not politics thread" where all politics related conversation definitely wont happen and if it did definitely wouldn't break the charter.

Thanks errlloyd!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I'm not allowed talk about politics. But having lived in a fair few countries, I have developed some opinions on.... eh.... people buying fruit.

Seems that in Ireland there is a tendency to prioritise fruit that has been grown locally, and on occasion, they buy dodgy, unripe fruit that stokes antipathy toward centralised fruit distributors in Dublin to perhaps mask their shortcomings.

It's completely fine to point out that this is prevalent in Ireland, but it's not necessarily bad fruit buying practice. I would not like to live in a first-piece-of-fruit-past-the-post system like in the UK, where pieces of fruit get tactically assigned to your constituenc... I mean... local shop, and depending on your fruit affiliation, and the area you live, you could spend your entire life never buying the fruit you like (pm me if this metaphor doesn't make sense).

Imagine how dissatisfied you would feel, if you had such little say in your fruit buying. It would likely skew your thinking if you were ever given a say in a major national fruit decision, with far more drastic consequences, like banning European fruit or something.

What I think is most lacking from Irish fruit-sellers is a culture of resigning when appropriate; it's unlikely the lady who fell off the swing would be manning her stall for much longer were she a vendor in a London market.

And I note also that countries with dodgy fruit seem to all have a strong Catholic presence in common, which is probably not a coincidence. You don't need communion bread if you have plenty of fresh fruit available.

In summary, fruit is complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Jesus.

Neil is really into fruit.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The Chernobyl series just gets more depressing

Stheno wrote: »

I don't even understand how it got worse. But it did. That said
    The roof scene is the greatest 90-second shot I've ever seen in my life. Absolute heroes those guys.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I don't even understand how it got worse. But it did. That said
    The roof scene is the greatest 90-second shot I've ever seen in my life. Absolute heroes those guys.

It was the
    of shorting the dogs
    that got me

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Zzippy wrote: »
    If it made it to court then the information in court documents is public right?

I saw some tweets from a barrister suggesting her medical info has been leaked ahead of the court documents actually becoming public, which would be illegal and a breach of GDPR and her privacy. As I say, suspicious timing and no one is talking about the investigation into a cartel.
    I think if that was the case, she’d have been singing it from the roof tops in her interview. Do you think that spurious/fraudulent claims aren’t driving up costs? Yes there’s a cartel for definite but claim culture in this country most definitely exists and influences the cost.

Despite all that, she attempted to commit fraud and that should be exposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I'm not allowed talk about politics. But having lived in a fair few countries, I have developed some opinions on.... eh.... people buying fruit.

Seems that in Ireland there is a tendency to prioritise fruit that has been grown locally, and on occasion, they buy dodgy, unripe fruit that stokes antipathy toward centralised fruit distributors in Dublin to perhaps mask their shortcomings.

It's completely fine to point out that this is prevalent in Ireland, but it's not necessarily bad fruit buying practice. I would not like to live in a first-piece-of-fruit-past-the-post system like in the UK, where pieces of fruit get tactically assigned to your constituenc... I mean... local shop, and depending on your fruit affiliation, and the area you live, you could spend your entire life never buying the fruit you like (pm me if this metaphor doesn't make sense).

Imagine how dissatisfied you would feel, if you had such little say in your fruit buying. It would likely skew your thinking if you were ever given a say in a major national fruit decision, with far more drastic consequences, like banning European fruit or something.

What I think is most lacking from Irish fruit-sellers is a culture of resigning when appropriate; it's unlikely the lady who fell off the swing would be manning her stall for much longer were she a vendor in a London market.

And I note also that countries with dodgy fruit seem to all have a strong Catholic presence in common, which is probably not a coincidence. You don't need communion bread if you have plenty of fresh fruit available.

In summary, fruit is complicated.

So are metaphors, I need to go lie down now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

stephen_n wrote: »
    Zzippy wrote: »
    If it made it to court then the information in court documents is public right?

I saw some tweets from a barrister suggesting her medical info has been leaked ahead of the court documents actually becoming public, which would be illegal and a breach of GDPR and her privacy. As I say, suspicious timing and no one is talking about the investigation into a cartel.
    I think if that was the case, she’d have been singing it from the roof tops in her interview. Do you think that spurious/fraudulent claims aren’t driving up costs? Yes there’s a cartel for definite but claim culture in this country most definitely exists and influences the cost.

Despite all that, she attempted to commit fraud and that should be exposed.

What's truly amazing about it all is how the responsibility gets passed around. The claimants will tell you that they aren't to blame, they're just getting their due. The insurance companies and the solicitors will tell you it isn't their fault, that the courts are to blame and that they are either victims themselves (insurance companies) or just doing their job (solicitors). The courts will tell you that they dont write the law, they just enforce it. So it's down to politicians to change the law, but with relatively little motivation to do so (until recently at least) they haven't focused on it. Why? Because the electorate weren't pushing for it and so other things took precedence. And round and round we go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Stheno wrote: »

I'm tempted to watch it but I'm trying to hold out till the season is complete so I can truly binge on it. Its a mini-series like Band of Brothers isn't it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement