Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dolores O'Riordan RIP (Mod warning in op)

Options

Comments

Sad end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Could happen any of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

It still astounds me the reach she had with her oirishness when she passed my phone lit up with grievances from remote hill stations in the Himalayan foothills to lesser populated prefectures of Japan. “Soundtrack of my youth” etc. I felt like a counsellor

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Vinculus

Ah jayzus, I was only just thinking about her a moment ago. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

Similar to Whitney Houston and her Daughter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It does illustrate what a dangerous drug alcohol is. It must be responsible for hundreds of deaths every year in varying forms.

Imagine if you took a painkiller or something which caused you to pass out in the bath and drown. It would be banned instantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,527 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Strazdas wrote: »
    It does illustrate what a dangerous drug alcohol is. It must be responsible for hundreds of deaths every year in varying forms.

Imagine if you took a painkiller or something which caused you to pass out in the bath and drown. It would be banned instantly.

Yet you can go to jail for smoking a joint.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭williestroker1

Four times over the drink drive limit. About a bottle of wine? doesn't seem enough to get a person that drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

Four times over the drink drive limit. About a bottle of wine? doesn't seem enough to get a person that drunk.

Her BAC was 330mg, that is extremely high. You can easily pass out at that level.

It's not just the quantity of alcohol, it's the rate and which it went in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Strazdas wrote: »

Yet plenty of people do take painkillers or other drugs and drown in the bath and they aren't banned. The problem is many people don't see alcohol as being as dangerous as those drug when used in excess and it definitely is

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Could happen any of us.

I can't say I've ever had a bath when I'm pissed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭irishproduce

She was in a hotel though tbf.
    A lot of people take baths when at a hotel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

In bedclothes after 3am

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

She was in a hotel though tbf.
    A lot of people take baths when at a hotel
    Fully dressed though?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭williestroker1

Just learned the drink driving limit is higher in the UK than here. About 2 pints so she would have had the equivalent of about 8 pints. Mixed with any meds she was on you can see how this could happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Alcohol and depression just don't jive.

She also had therapeutic levels of unnamed prescription drugs in her blood.

Saying 'therapeutic' might make it sound like the dosage was small, or irrelevant, but I take a 'therapeutic' dose of a drug every day, and it isn't small at all. I can't drink alcohol on it (or rather, I shouldn't), because the drug interaction is really severe (tiredness, depression, dizziness, heightened intoxication).

My drug is an SNRI, and although not wanting to speculate, it's entirely possible that Dolores O'Riordan was taking similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Yet plenty of people do take painkillers or other drugs and drown in the bath and they aren't banned. The problem is many people don't see alcohol as being as dangerous as those drug when used in excess and it definitely is

I would say alcohol kills far more people than any prescription drug.

Somehow it is socially acceptable for people to consume a drug (alcohol) that can render them unconscious and which physically and mentally impairs every person who has taken it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

It's alot if alcohol and mixed with schizophrenia meds would definitely cause unconsciousness.

This poor woman has been treated so badly all her life by the people who were supposed to protect her. She was abused by a close family member, her husband was an openly serial cheater and some members of her family loved her money and weren't afraid to demand things if her.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

yeppydeppy wrote: »
    In bedclothes after 3am
    Probably silly to try and speculate on her intent though tbh.

Hammered drunk and on prescription medication, a bath in your pyjamas might sound like a good idea.

Seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

What a terrible waste. RIP Dolores

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

4 times over the legal limit is nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

330mg of blood alcohol content is definitely SOMETHING. Enough to induce unconsciousness.
    Look it up

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Alcohol and depression just don't jive.

yep, alcohol makes depression worse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Eight pints?.

I'm a seasoned drinker, and a big lad too and eight pints would have me arse ways. Not enough to doze off in a bath, but add medications to that and God only knows.

Poor girl. Fantastic voice.

Pity she won't be let rest in peace, by some.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

skallywag wrote: »
    Her BAC was 330mg, that is extremely high. You can easily pass out at that level.

It's not just the quantity of alcohol, it's the rate and which it went in.

Two bottles of red wine or just over half a bottle of vodka over 2 to 2 1/2 hours would be enough to cause unconsciousness.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,049 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Coupled with prescription meds??
    Are you serious?
    And look at the size of her. Tiny little thing.
    4 times alcohol level in her little body?
    Happy Birthday Dolores RIP

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 81,407 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Eight pints?.

I'm a seasoned drinker, and a big lad too and eight pints would have me arse ways. Not enough to doze off in a bath, but add medications to that and God only knows.

Poor girl. Fantastic voice.

Pity she won't be let rest in peace, by some.

But it wasn't 8 pints, it was 4 times the drink drive limit as measured by alcohol in her blood, for a woman her weight and build it could potentially be 5 or 6 vodkas or less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

The Mail says she wrote a suicide note last September but didn't finish it. Didn't bode well. Poor lady.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

Does it matter really anymore....no
    A tragic end. She achieved much, was beloved by her fans, an icon, a mother, an extraordinary example of overcoming an awful start in life, and she dies in such a tragic way. I feel even more sorry for her mum and her kids knowing what happened to her but at least it's been ruled accidental so hopefully they'll take some teeny shred of solace from that. Rip Dolores.

Advertisement