Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Operation Transformation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Rodin wrote: »
    Lots of people go through a lot of things.
    That's no reason to end up with a BMI over 30.
    For all these reasons, I don't watch the show. My choice.

And yet here you are :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Cork Lass wrote: »
    And yet here you are :rolleyes:

Asking why people of normal weight watch it... Can't understand it. Some people have said why.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Arduach wrote: »
    Even at the lowest levels that is wrong as you have people around the country following you and your plan. A leader represents by simple definition. That's part of the show from day 1.

I didn't say she is a good leader. She's not at all engaging with the programme and therefore a very poor leader.

My problem is that you and others however have brought race into it, by saying she isn't been criticized because she is black.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Arduach

joe40 wrote: »
    I didn't say she is a good leader. She's not at all engaging with the programme and therefore a very poor leader.

My problem is that you and others however have brought race into it, by saying she isn't been criticized because she is black.

I never said that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Have had a quick read through the most recent pages on this thread

Jeez lot of negative comments re susanna, you’d just wonder is there a touch of group think or bullying going on?

She tried her best, and she was good tv, what more do people want ffs !

• Advertisement

There's a leader on the show, Susanna, the majority of us think she's a nice person. We don't care whether she's green, black, brown, yellow.

However. 3 out of 6 weeks she has gained weight. So she has gained weight as many weeks as she's lost weight. The 4 judges are very easy going with her and she receives far less criticism that Paul, a fella who has never missed a weight target.

Are people no longer allowed to say 'I wonder why Suzanna isn't criticised?'. It's not racist to point out she comes from a minority, non national group of people in Ireland and the judges don't want to seem to be racist. Can the fact that she has received light touch judgement not be discussed??

Jeez lot of negative comments re susanna, you’d wonder is there a touch of group think or bullying going on?

:D

Jeez lot of negative comments re susanna, you’d wonder is there a touch of group think or bullying going on?

As other posters mentioned, someone getting all that free advice and air time and not trying. How do you gain weight 3 out of 6 weeks on a proper diet and exercise programme? Must be a lot more deserving candidates who didn't get a chance.

There's a leader on the show, Susanna, the majority of us think she's a nice person. We don't care whether she's green, black, brown, yellow.

However. 3 out of 6 weeks she has gained weight. So she has gained weight as many weeks as she's lost weight. The 4 judges are very easy going with her and she receives far less criticism that Paul, a fella who has never missed a weight target.

Are people no longer allowed to say 'I wonder why Suzanna isn't criticised?'. It's not racist to point out she comes from a minority, non national group of people in Ireland and the judges don't want to seem to be racist. Can the fact that she has received light touch judgement not be discussed??

Of course that can be discussed. So what is your opinion?

Is she not receiving criticism because she is black and the judges don't want to appear racist or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,992 ✭✭✭✭flazio

It's nearly over anyway, but I reckon Paul should be kicked off the show for this sort of endorsement.
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10159944953589879&id=116003279878

I mean, that's just going straight back to square 1.

He won't sustain what he "learned" on this show.

• Advertisement

Of course that can be discussed. So what is your opinion?

Is she not receiving criticism because she is black and the judges don't want to appear racist or not.

I don't know. It's possible they have given up on Suzanna, as they just can't get her to adhere to the plan.

She's a lovely person, race means nothing to me, just trying to figure out what's going on with the judges.

Maybe the dance approach is the way to go with her. I just think she hasn't any real drive in her to get healthy. For her age she's in bad nick.

flazio wrote: »
    It's nearly over anyway, but I reckon Paul should be kicked off the show for this sort of endorsement.
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10159944953589879&id=116003279878

I mean, that's just going straight back to square 1.

He won't sustain what he "learned" on this show.

That is a strange one, I would have thought there would be rules against that type of marketing during the show. I wonder was he paid for that.

I don't know. It's possible they have given up on Suzanna, as they just can't get her to adhere to the plan.

She's a lovely person, race means nothing to me, just trying to figure out what's going on with the judges.

Maybe the dance approach is the way to go with her. I just think she hasn't any real drive in her to get healthy. For her age she's in bad nick.

I agree with that. I think she was a poor choice in leader from the start because by her own admission she did not have a problem with her weight. That for me should have been a major red flag when choosing a leader.

She was very nice and all that but she had zero motivation for the major lifestyle overhaul required in this show.

Weight loss is virtually all about diet, especially for people that lack fitness for extended periods of fairly intense exercise.
    By the way I'm not judging at all I'm not total couch potato but far from lean and super fit.

The exercise is very important, it just won't register on scales.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Housefree

Lots of people go through a lot of things.
    That's no reason to end up with a BMI over 30.
    For all these reasons, I don't watch the show. My choice.

Some Meds for mental health blow your weight up, seen it happen to a few people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,951 ✭✭✭furiousox

Jeez lot of negative comments re susanna, you’d just wonder is there a touch of group think or bullying going on?

She didn't though, and neither did Paul.
    (#diversity)

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Just read through the thread. Some interesting takes from some of the posters. I’ve actually followed Paul’s plan over the past few weeks and lost 24 lb. BMI is still ‘overweight’ but I’m on the right track.

Re leader selection, I think posters need to be cognisant it’s a tv show first and foremost to attract viewers. The leaders are selected so the different viewers can identify with one and possibly follow. The leaders background stories such as the divorce, being bullied, loss of a child vary and contribute to that connection and buy in from viewers who want them to do well and keep watching.

I think the criticism of the experts esp Karl and aoife is a bit uncalled for. The premise of the show is that the exercise has to be something you can do in your home/within 5km which is free, without you needing to buy any equipment. I think walking/running and the body weight resistance exercises tick those boxes. I’m sure if you were a private client of Karl’s he’d be well capable of guidance re weight based routines. But that’s not the prerogative here. Kathryns mango fish curry was horrendous and the only meal I couldn’t finish so far! My one criticism of aoife is the time it takes to prep/cook the meals. I accept there’s a need to overhaul your diet if you’re overweight/obese but I’d concur with what Paul said regarding the requirement to provide faster/simpler recipes. I know a poster mentioned about batch cooking on Sundays but that just wouldn’t suit most people working a full week.

Regarding the leaders you’d have to feel for Sharon and Hazel. They’re all brave people baring their soul like that.
    Hopefully they can stick with the plans.
    Andrew has been fantastic. Though I think there’s no way he stuck to the plan last week and still lost 4 lb. he’s obviously running like hell and making huge alterations to his diet plan. He knows it too hence the dramatic overreaction when he was called out in it.

I think Paul has been given a hard time here and a little on the show too. I thought him answering the phone in the middle of the chat with Eddie was downright rude and ignorant. He always seems to need to have the last word and is typical of those people who use the ‘having a a laugh’ to cover up something else ( Sharon does this a bit too).He seems terribly old fashioned for a young man and leaving school so young seems a bit bizarre. His lifestyle is typical of a lot of Irish men unfortunately and that’s why he was selected as a leader. I find it a bit bizarre that posters slam aoife for not coming up with ‘African’ foods to suit Susana but Paul is criticised for wanting simpler recipes. It’s like reverse racism. The ‘Pashty, male culchie’ doesn’t seem to suit the liberals! Are Susana’s ‘African’ dietary habits more valid than Paul’s ? The guy has hit his targets most weeks but I just can’t see him sticking with it.

Which brings me to the infamous susanah. Once again she’s a colourful lady from numerous perspectives and was picked for that along with her medical issues which the experts were hoping to tackle. It’s pretty clear that the experts have accepted she won’t adapt. They just want her a bit more active and hopefully happier. I haven’t watched other series but I think Eva orsmond landed in a bit of a controversy over how she dealt with one of the leaders. It’s pretty clear none of the experts want to be bringing down that on themselves or the show, hence the gentle approach to her. However as a leader she’s definitely been poor. She’s really wasted the opportunity. I find it bizarre that she’s fit to die doing the exercise but when it’s all over she’s able to find the energy do the whole’ sexy lady sexy body’ routine. She’ll never stick to the food plan and I can’t see her sticking to the exercise either. She’s plain lazy. I think the use of ‘lecturer’ to describe her previous occupation is a bit of a stretch.....why doesn’t she work in that field now if she’s able to lecture in it?

Once again I find the different reaction to Paul and Susana here strange. I dunno what Paul works at but he seems to be on the road a lot with it. She seems to do next to nothing so she’s no excuses not to prep/cook the meals.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭DenMan

Great post digzy. Congratulations on the weight loss. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Housefree wrote: »
    Some Meds for mental health blow your weight up, seen it happen to a few people.

Fat isn't created from oxygen alone.
    If you want to say some drugs alter the metabolism and fat storage then do so, but if that's happening, as always, eat less, move more.

Fat isn't created from oxygen alone.
    If you want to say some drugs alter the metabolism and fat storage then do so, but if that's happening, as always, eat less, move more.

Anyone who has suffered from depression knows that's BS. I'm a sufferer and I always find those who never had it just don't understand.

I was a complete physical and mental wreck. I was exhausted walking 50m, totally collapsed. From an athlete to that. I lost weight initially as I was vomiting the small bit I ate. Even chewing was hardship. Then as I improved a little meds bloated me. When you're curled up in a ball there's little you can do. These illnesses are very real. It took me 5 years to get back to where I was, through sheer determination.

Your world is too black and white. Yes a lot are lazy. But a lot are the most diligent and hardworking you'll find. Sometimes it's the later qualities made them sick. I was a pro in my sport and burnt myself out and caused the breakdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭Naos

Maybe Karl made a mistake?

Aoife was clear and certain. Looking at Andrew's body shape you see the huge change.

You think Aoife could tell that in the space of a week, 2 of the 4 pounds that Andrew lost was muscle loss and she could tell this by eye?

If they had used DEXAs then they would be sure to mention it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭jules86

Naos wrote: »
    You think Aoife could tell that in the space of a week, 2 of the 4 pounds that Andrew lost was muscle loss and she could tell this by eye?

The scales they use read the fat, muscle, bone and water mass as well as a load of other stuff. I think they use the tanita ones.

You're trying to say Aoife made it up.

Andrew didn't adhere to the advice, end of. The 4 on the panel see him burning out. They have experience on the subject.

He'll bomb it in the 5k and they'll be a lot of whooping and hollering. But that's inconsequential to the big picture of maintaining sustainable good health.

You're very anti everything about the show, especially the experts.

It gets people out exercising in January and February, and thinking of their diet. Particularly pre covid with the community link up. It's not perfect but it does a lot more good than harm. There's a lot worse on Rte.

I don't get every post of yours on the show being negative.

Anyone who has suffered from depression knows that's BS. I'm a sufferer and I always find those who never had it just don't understand.

I was a complete physical and mental wreck. I was exhausted walking 50m, totally collapsed. From an athlete to that. I lost weight initially as I was vomiting the small bit I ate. Even chewing was hardship. Then as I improved a little meds bloated me. When you're curled up in a ball there's little you can do. These illnesses are very real. It took me 5 years to get back to where I was, through sheer determination.

Your world is too black and white. Yes a lot are lazy. But a lot are the most diligent and hardworking you'll find. Sometimes it's the later qualities made them sick. I was a pro in my sport and burnt myself out and caused the breakdown.

Yes absolutely, easy to be judgemental. No one wants to be fat.
    I'm about a stone overweight. I have no problem at all doing exercise, and would be reasonably fit, but the discipline to eat the correct food consistently is more difficult.

To paraphrase the Mark Twain smoking quote.

Losing weight is easy I've did it plenty of times.

The initial weight loss is the reasonable easy, keeping it off is difficult.

Yes absolutely, easy to be judgemental. No one wants to be fat.
    I'm about a stone overweight. I have no problem at all doing exercise, and would be reasonably fit, but the discipline to eat the correct food consistently is more difficult.

To paraphrase the Mark Twain smoking quote.

Losing weight is easy I've did it plenty of times.

The initial weight loss is the reasonable easy, keeping it off is difficult.

100% agree. The preponderance of foods with sugar compared to our grandparents/great grandparents time, 60-100 years ago, make it very hard to avoid temptation I feel! Also fatty foods. 70 years ago it was meat (poultry, bacon, beef, fish), vegetables and little fruit. You'll rarely see an Irish photo pre 1950 with anyone over weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

100% agree. The preponderance of foods with sugar compared to our grandparents/great grandparents time, 60-100 years ago, make it very hard to avoid temptation I feel! Also fatty foods. 70 years ago it was meat (poultry, bacon, beef, fish), vegetables and little fruit. You'll rarely see a an Irish photo pre 1950 with anyone over weight.

The abundance of food wasn't there. People didn't have cupboards full of food. For alot they couldn't afford cupboards of food.

Also majority of work was manual. No cars so people walked or cycled to work alot more.

The lifestyle was totally different so not comparing like with like.

The abundance of food wasn't there. People didn't have cupboards full of food. For alot they couldn't afford cupboards of food.

Also majority of work was manual. No cars so people walked or cycled to work alot more.

The lifestyle was totally different so not comparing like with like.

Exactly. That's what i mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

"So Susanna, at the end of your OT journey you have lost a grrrand total of......THRR-EEEE POUNDS!!"
    "You are one sexy mama....whoooooooooooo!!"
    Loud music.
    Kathryn dances inappropriately with Susanna.
    Experts applaud with fixed grins and dead eyes....:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

Well hello little bo peep!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Tea For Two

Can identify with that lady that said “I’m ten years losing weight and finding it again”.

Advertisement