Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Operation Transformation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

Wottle wrote: »
    Some questionable undertones in this thread regarding Susanna from some posters, shame on them...

Really?
    I didn't notice anything untoward.
    Have you an example?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Rodin wrote: »
    Does anyone of a healthy weight watch this show?

Why? Just curious.

Is that not like asking why someone already with their perfect home watches room to improve?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

Really?
    I didn't notice anything untoward.
    Have you an example?

One person said Susanna wouldn't encourage people to employ a person from Nigeria. :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Yes. I like to see the people try to make some improvement in their lives. I like how the show moves beyond the tv screen and motivates people to get up and get active with local OT walks (pre covid), involvement in parkruns, gaa clubs etc. January is always such a gloomy month - it gets communities up and about.
    However on the flip side of it, as soon as the show is over, a good lot of people stop with it.

Yes, same here, I like seeing the way it gets communities involved. Pre covid, as you sad.

Also the leaders are often interesting people, and I admire their courage in sharing their lives and stories with the nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 RebeccaK21

Does anyone of a healthy weight watch this show?

Why? Just curious.

Of course! No one is perfect, and personally I'm very motivated to make positive changes in my life (not weight related) by watching others literally turn their lives around by becoming healthier. It's a reminder that we all can change if we want to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Arduach

Beau wrote: »
    One person said Susanna wouldn't encourage people to employ a person from Nigeria. :(

That's taken very out of context. If you read all my comments on Susanna throughout the series I have said I liked her personally.

After Wednesday I said her total lack of motivation was poor in that she was also representing her fellow country people very poorly. Which she is.

You could call an Irish person lazy with no repercussions but call a coloured person lazy and you'll have people crying racism and speaking of 'undertones'. Suzanna is lazy, no two ways about it. And as the first African leader, yes, she is a pioneer in representing Nigerian people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭DenMan

8 weeks of television and that includes an introductory week and the finale which doesn't have a final weigh-in for the contestants. That leaves 6 weeks which for me is not enough for the participants and indeed the general public who are watching and following. Does anybody know how long the biggest loser runs for in the US? I read the episodes run for 60-120 mins but for how long does each season run, how long do viewers follow it in weeks? For me as in previous OT seasons we only seem to be getting to really know the leaders once it comes to an end unfortunately. It's a big pity as it should be much longer imo. I also feel they should run the show twice a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Wottle wrote: »
    Some questionable undertones in this thread regarding Susanna from some posters, shame on them.
    Both her trainer and nutritionist have let her down badly. Karl with that threat towards her of, "go on quit then" shows me what a weak trainer he really is. Her base fitness is poor and it's only been a few weeks, pace shouldn't be the goal for her right now. It should have been about building the habit, whether it's walking, dancing or a step workout.
    The nutritionist failing to embrace her clients cultural food is pathetic and again shows how poor she is. We're trying to implement life long changes, of course Susanna is going to go off script.
    She's been let down by the show and they've both given up on each other.

Hazel and Sharon are fantastic leaders and the plan suits them well.

Andrew was right to stand his ground as the communication was all wrong, it came across as negative. Karl's demeanour was appalling. I agree with Karl regarding burnout but how he got his point across was strange and negative.

All he had to say was... WOW you're doing great but I'm a little worried for you regarding burnout and the possibility of picking up an injury, this is all new to you, its easy to get addicted to running but let's have a down week and give your bones, muscles, ligaments and tendons a chance to catch up with your aerobic system and I can't wait to see you rock the 5k...

That's all, same result but one leaves him buzzing

Questionable undertones? what exactly are you referring to?

All people are doing is calling out a lazy person for being lazy.

You can't blame her trainer and nutritionist for her lack of effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

Arduach wrote: »
    However, Suzanna, who I like personally, is in fluffy la la land.

In the first episode I think her job was given as a community organiser with the Nigerian diaspora, sounds like a relatively cushy number. Plenty of free time. Also, as a poster mentioned, she seems to be on it more for the promo. She hasn't really represented the Nigerians too well or made anyone want to hire a person from Nigeria for work!.

I don't think I did take the above comment out of context. If anyone decides they don't want to hire a Nigerian person based on their opinion of Susanna they're clearly racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

For the record I just want to say, I have zero personal problem with Susanna, she could be the nicest most generous person on earth and her weight issues don't define her as a person, but the fact is she went on a weight loss show and has put in next to no effort, she took up a place from someone who might of benefited greatly from it, I have no time for people who do things like that.

Her son being a personal trainer was a huge red flag for me too, surely he was offering advice on fitness and nutrition over the years...she clearly doesn't want to do it imo, well she may want it bit isn't willing to do what it takes to achieve it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Niall_76

I missed the part where they said Susanna’s son is a personal trainer. Surely he can’t be cause he said at the start he didn’t see her as overweight before she signed up for the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,951 ✭✭✭furiousox

Questionable undertones? what exactly are you referring to?
    All people are doing is calling out a lazy person for being lazy.
    You can't blame her trainer and nutritionist for her lack of effort.

Indeed.
    I would say Paul has been the most criticised leader on this thread, not Susanna.

CPL 593H

Beau wrote: »
    I don't think I did take the above comment out of context. If anyone decides they don't want to hire a Nigerian person based on their opinion of Susanna they're clearly racist.

You're looking for racism where there's none.

I like her as a person, but she's lazy. I wouldn't hire her for a job, nothing to do with racism, just productivity.

She was a lecturer before she came to Ireland.
    She’s not lazy in every respect, just when it comes to diet and exercise!

Addle wrote: »

I'd like to ask her students Addle :D

She's a lovely lady, charming.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

The thing is with her though, her cultural values are so different to ours. She wasn't brought up on the "stick insect" body beautiful mantra. Her culture celebrates larger ladies....also she's probably predisposed genetically to weight gain. So it would be hard for her to change her outlook overnight...... that said she volunteered for the show.

I also wonder what type of food she's craving when she says she misses African food.......like when I say I miss irish food I'm not thinking Sunday roast or bacon,cabbage n spuds but more chipper chips lashings of salt and vinegar, white bread spread with kerrygold butter...chip butty :)

I didn't realise either her son was into fitness instructor either....when I heard that I was wondering if raising his profile was part of her agenda..... cos seriously as I said before weight lose definitely does not appear to be her agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭Naos

Also Aoife's claim of the 2ib muscle loss isn't plucked out of the air. What we see on the show is the tip of the iceberg. Calipers are out and various body mass analysis behind the scenes.

Do they do this every week and if so, how do you know?

Because last year Karl said some lady had put on 2 or 3 lb's of muscle in the week, which is impossible.

Naos wrote: »
    Do they do this every week and if so, how do you know?

Because last year Karl said some lady had put on 2 or 3 lb's of muscle in the week, which is impossible.

I don't know for definite. But why would they give a definitive number of ibs... the only other alternative is they are lieing.

Yes what Carl said about her was bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Any idea how many hours a week lecturers work?

Any idea how many hours a week lecturers work?

No, but I know their work involves more than just teaching classes.
    Don’t they have to study a lot to get the job in the first instance?
    You can be an over weight hard worker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭Naos

I don't know for definite. But why would they give a definitive number of ibs... the only other alternative is they are lieing.

Yes what Carl said about her was bizarre.

Because they are rubbish at what they do?

How can you go from "Why [else] would they give a definitive number?" ie they know what they're talking about to "What Carl sad about her was bizarre" ie they don't know what they're talking about?

Naos wrote: »
    Because they are rubbish at what they do?

How can you go from "Why [else] would they give a definitive number?" ie they know what they're talking about to "What Carl sad about her was bizarre" ie they don't know what they're talking about?

Maybe Karl made a mistake?

Aoife was clear and certain. Looking at Andrew's body shape you see the huge change.

No, but I know their work involves more than just teaching classes.
    Don’t they have to study a lot to get the job in the first instance?
    You can be an over weight hard worker.

Not hard enough.
    Obesity is caused by an intake/output (incl. BMR) imbalance. Nothing else.

I don't watch the show because I'll only get angry at how people disrespect their bodies and the burden it places on the health service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

That's taken very out of context. If you read all my comments on Susanna throughout the series I have said I liked her personally.

After Wednesday I said her total lack of motivation was poor in that she was also representing her fellow country people very poorly. Which she is.

You could call an Irish person lazy with no repercussions but call a coloured person lazy and you'll have people crying racism and speaking of 'undertones'. Suzanna is lazy, no two ways about it. And as the first African leader, yes, she is a pioneer in representing Nigerian people.

That's nonsense, how is she representing her country? I fully agree her commitment to the exercise is very poor. She is not a good leader at all.
    But anyone who would use one person as exemplifying millions is the very definition of Racism.
    Suzanna is representing Suzanna no one else.

She comes across as a very nice bubbly person which probably accounts for the lack of criticism. Wrongly in my opinion, but her skin colour is immaterial.

Not hard enough.
    Obesity is caused by an intake/output (incl. BMR) imbalance. Nothing else.

I don't watch the show because I'll only get angry at how people disrespect their bodies and the burden it places on the health service.
    You just hate fat people.
    It reads to me like you’re carrying around a lot of anger about it. Maybe you should do something about that.

joe40 wrote: »
    That's nonsense, how is she representing her country? I fully agree her commitment to the exercise is very poor. She is not a good leader at all.
    But anyone who would use one person as exemplifying millions is the very definition of Racism.

She comes across as a very nice bubbly person which probably accounts for the lack of criticism. Wrongly in my opinion, but her skin colour is immaterial.

Of course her skin colour is immaterial. But she's the first African leader, and if you think people don't judge, it's naive. Of course no one will say it.

Right a lady presents for interview at 20 stone weight and you have a choice between her and a sprightly 9 stone weight woman for a demanding job...an impression is created. People form association and connections all the time. They will lump people from other countries together.. the Poles have a good work ethic etc. Technically racism but it's present in the real world. We all pick and chose based on conception/misconception everyday.

If I had someone working with me from a certain area in Ireland who proved particularly honest and hardworking, I'd be predisposed for chosing to employ someone from there to work with me again.

There's a few posters here just dying to bring racism into a debate about work ethic. We all represent ourselves and a broader community. If I'm from Laois and they win a Leinster Championship in football the county represents the province. If Laois fail badly to say Mayo, they will say the province was weak. Why do people look to be on various panels, committees, teams, cabinets etc... to represent.

joe40 wrote: »

Even at the lowest levels that is wrong as you have people around the country following you and your plan. A leader represents by simple definition. That's part of the show from day 1.

You just hate fat people.
    It reads to me like you’re carrying around a lot of anger about it. Maybe you should do something about that.

I hate that people are dying in this world because they don't have enough to eat and others die from overeating.

I don't hate fat people. I hate their attitude.

I hate that people are dying in this world because they don't have enough to eat and others die from overeating.

I don't hate fat people. I hate their attitude.

I agree with an awful lot of what you say Rodin.

I'd leave one group of overweight out of this judgement though. Those suffering mental grief, loss of loved ones, relationship breakups etc. It's very easy to comfort eat when in distress.

A lot are just lazy as you say.

• Advertisement

I agree with an awful lot of what you say Rodin.

I'd leave one group of overweight out of this judgement though. Those suffering mental grief, loss of loved ones, relationship breakups etc. It's very easy to comfort eat when in distress.

A lot are just lazy as you say.

Lots of people go through a lot of things.
    That's no reason to end up with a BMI over 30.
    For all these reasons, I don't watch the show. My choice.

Advertisement