Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Stefs_42

Green&Red wrote: »
    A question specifically for you Stefs, and more widely for others - Are Conways doing a trade in?

Yes they do! Infact when I arrived at conways dealer asked me what I have on offer to trade in. When I said I might trade in my CC, he said they dont deal with VW. So Im not sure what brands they deal with. Gotta ring them to know for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Stefs_42 wrote: »
    Yes they do! Infact when I arrived at conways dealer asked me what I have on offer to trade in. When I said I might trade in my CC, he said they dont deal with VW. So Im not sure what brands they deal with. Gotta ring them to know for sure.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

Waiting on the SEAI grant to come through so I can pick up my Niro. Very frustrating. Application is only in 9 working days so probably another week before it gets approved. Was hoping that they would have cleared through a lot of the December applications for 201 cars at this stage and might have been a bit quicker. Guess not!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

paulers06 wrote: »
    Waiting on the SEAI grant to come through so I can pick up my Niro. Very frustrating. Application is only in 9 working days so probably another week before it gets approved. Was hoping that they would have cleared through a lot of the December applications for 201 cars at this stage and might have been a bit quicker. Guess not!

Mine took about 16 working days back in September so it may be longer now with all the 201 EV's being registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Stefs_42 wrote: »

So they are declining to take the CC at all??????.

That would be odd.

Id expect something like the following two scenarios......

Scenario - trading a BMW against a Lexus at a Toyota garage. Salesperson freely admitted he wasn't into the BMWs.

But sought to get a price from their contact who was.

Unfortunately the contact wasn't around when contacted but they still gave a lowball offer with the promise that they'd try to adjust it.

Second scenario - 12 year old Yaris - trade in against a brand new Leaf - around 12 months ago.

Salesman was upfront and clear that it was an old car and gave a frank lowball offer for it.

But to be fair to him it was probably all the car was worth in real life. He DID make an offer.

Only time I've seen a straight out refusal was on an old left hand drive Golf that a German chap I worked with was replacing.

But he did find another dealer that was happy to take that car in. Im sure the trade in was dreadful though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭cluaindiuic

I got what I felt was a skimpy enough offer from a Dublin dealer for my 171 Ioniq.

So I looked down the country. Kilkenny Kia dealer said he'd no interest in my Ioniq. No offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭AmberGold

CPTM wrote: »
    With regret I'll be cancelling my order for the E-niro over the coming days. If anyone knows someone who'd like to grab my spot for the March/April deliveries, let me know. Dublin area.

PM me your details, looking for one of these currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭CPTM

AmberGold wrote: »
    PM me your details, looking for one of these currently.

Sorry just seeing this now. Will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jmpie

Attachment not found.eNiro No Heat pump.jpg

Hi I just want to check if anyone here got a Heat pump with their eNiro, I have attached the picture of one with a heat pump from youTube and my own which doesn't seem to have a heat pump (even though the dealer swore blind it did) I see there is lots of deabte on some UK fourms but I guess it wasn't standard on the Irish spec unfortunately. on a cold day there is a big drop in range with the heater on high!

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

jmpie wrote: »

Hi I just want to check if anyone here got a Heat pump with their eNiro, I have attached the picture of one with a heat pump from youTube and my own which doesn't seem to have a heat pump (even though the dealer swore blind it did) I see there is lots of deabte on some UK fourms but I guess it wasn't standard on the Irish spec unfortunately. on a cold day there is a big drop in range with the heater on high!

Sorry - I don't have an e-Niro (Lovely EV Though). I have a Kona Electric (which shares a lot of similarities in terms of battery / motor / drivetrain & you can see the Kia / Hyundai dual branding displayed under the bonnet etc..). I'm not trying to 'muddy this thread' but in case it helps, here's a picture under the bonnet of my Ireland spec Kona Electric. It'll be interesting to see feedback/images from other e-Niro owners too hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭icom

My eNiro is the same, it didn't come with a heat pump, very disappointing, but I still love the car !

I wonder if one can be retrofitted by a dealer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭KCross

....on a cold day there is a big drop in range with the heater on high!

How big?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,027 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

on a cold day there is a big drop in range with the heater on high!

The cabin heater is probably about 1kW. If it's half as efficient as a heat pump, you're only wasting half a kilowatt, which is not enough to cause a big drop in range.

The range drop in cold weather has other causes, like the increase in air density causing more aerodynamic drag.

You can guess what the cause is by comparing the "range drop" at motorway vs urban speeds. If they motorway drop is much larger, it's aero drag, if it's much the same, it's the heater (and other factors relating to the battery).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,079 ✭✭✭championc

I think the dealer possibly confused the Heat Pump with the Battery Heater, which I believe IS installed in Irish FE's but was not fitted to UK FE's.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭icom

Lumen wrote: »
    The cabin heater is probably about 1kW. If it's half as efficient as a heat pump, you're only wasting half a kilowatt, which is not enough to cause a big drop in range.

The range drop in cold weather has other causes, like the increase in air density causing more aerodynamic drag.

You can guess what the cause is by comparing the "range drop" at motorway vs urban speeds. If they motorway drop is much larger, it's aero drag, if it's much the same, it's the heater (and other factors relating to the battery).

The eNiro cabin heater pulls 4.5 kW when the car is cold, once it gets up to temperature it pulls around 1 - 1.5 kW to keep things cosy (21 degrees), that's without the heat pump. I think with the heat pump it pulls around 800 watts after the car gets warmed up.

icom wrote: »
    The eNiro cabin heater pulls 4.5 kW when the car is cold, once it gets up to temperature it pulls around 1 - 1.5 kW to keep things cosy (21 degrees), that's without the heat pump. I think with the heat pump it pulls around 800 watts after the car gets warmed up.

Thanks yeah that sounds about correct, Do you know was the Heat pump fitted to any of the Irish cars? there was a few bits different versus the UK cars like smaller SatNav screen, no electric ajustable seats, no JBL stereo etc. I assume the Heat pump as also an ommision?

KCross wrote: »
    How big?

It depends on how high you set the temp and if the AC and the heating is on but it can be approx 40-50 km drop if the battery is near full when you turn them on. if you turn off the AC then it might recovery to 20km drop and then if you alter the temp up or down it changes the range prediction.

Do you know was the Heat pump fitted to any of the Irish cars?

Do you have the brochure they gave you when you bought it or the order form you signed. It should say whether HP is included?

Lumen wrote: »

No its directly related to turning on the heating and AC. So this morning I had 382 KM on the car and when I turned on the heat and AC the prediction dropped to 345km range. that was with the temp set high when I lowered it to 20 Deg C it recover up to 355 and then when I turned off the AC and left the heat on it when back to 365km.

Do you have the brochure they gave you when you bought it or the order form you signed. It should say whether HP is included?

I probably have it at home somewhere, there definitely isn't a heat pump anyway as the space where it should be on the left of the motor bay is empty.

• Advertisement

championc wrote: »
    I think the dealer possibly confused the Heat Pump with the Battery Heater, which I believe IS installed in Irish FE's but was not fitted to UK FE's.

Probably as they didn't really know anything about the car, they were not up to speed with electric cars at all to be honest and Kia wasn't really giving them any info either

I probably have it at home somewhere, there definitely isn't a heat pump anyway as the space where it should be on the left of the motor bay is empty.

I had a quick look on Kia.ie and the UK site. The Irish site has no mention of a HP but does specifically state PTC heater whereas the UK site is the opposite, HP listed and no sign of PTC.

Sounds like it’s paddy spec raising it’s head again.

I had a quick look on Kia.ie and the UK site. The Irish site has no mention of a HP but does specifically state PTC heater whereas the UK site is the opposite, HP listed and no sign of PTC.

Sounds like it’s paddy spec raising it’s head again.

Yeah I'd say so too. Screwed again.

I find also the heat isn't regulated very well when you turn it on the temp setting doesn't seem to control it well. even at 20 Deg C it can seem really hot My wife often mentions that it's too Hot and it will be set fairly low.

I'm a bit pissed off with that, to be honest

No its directly related to turning on the heating and AC. So this morning I had 382 KM on the car and when I turned on the heat and AC the prediction dropped to 345km range. that was with the temp set high when I lowered it to 20 Deg C it recover up to 355 and then when I turned off the AC and left the heat on it when back to 365km.
    According to those numbers, the GOM is predicting that the heater set to 20C uses 4.5% of range (382-365=17km).

So if you had a heat pump you might get another 10km of range?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,079 ✭✭✭championc

We know the increase in the UK cost was mainly driven up by the addition of the PTC heater. So I wonder as to what the speculated price increase here will be attributed to ? Unfortunately still no sign of any spec being released :(

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

My understanding is that the Hyundai Kona and Ioniq have the same drivetrain and share a platform with the Kia Stonic

Not sure what drivetrain the Niro uses.

The Ioniq is a different platform to the Kona, whereas the e-Niro is pretty much an Ioniq on stilts but with more space for batteries

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

liamog wrote: »
    The Ioniq is a different platform to the Kona, whereas the e-Niro is pretty much an Ioniq on stilts but with more space for batteries

Interesting - why doesn't it then take forever to charge the e-Niro?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kia_Niro - wikipedia says it shares same powertrain and battery as kona electric, for what that's worth.

Interesting - why doesn't it then take forever to charge the e-Niro?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kia_Niro - wikipedia says it shares same powertrain and battery as kona electric, for what that's worth.

The Ioniq has air cooling, the Kona and Niro have liquid cooling. Also, the Ioniq has no option for a larger pack, and because it is more efficient tends to produce less waste heat to warm the battery.

If the Ioniq had been developed after the Kona then I guess they would have used the same pack design, but it wasn't so they didn't.

https://electricrevs.com/2018/12/20/exclusive-details-on-hyundais-new-battery-thermal-management-design/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

I guess the triplets aren't called the triplets for nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭argolis

I don't have that heat pump either on my eNiro :-/

My understanding is that there *is* a battery heater elsewhere but that the heat pump makes heating the cabin much more efficient, is that right? So it prolongs battery life by using half as much energy to heat the cabin.

If that's right, that's partly offset by leaving the car plugged in and having the car preheated before heading to work but still not as nice. It would be interesting to know, as someone asked, if it can be fitted aftermarket.

I seem to be getting about 20 - 25% less efficiency in the winter than in the summer. Have gone from 17.1 kWh/100km to around 20.7 kWh/100km fwiw. At least it's not the horrendous 40% loss that I've seen touted on some websites for EVs in winter.

Advertisement