Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭championc

Hmmmm, interesting

I think the 2000 increase was largely following the UK 1500 increase, but the Irish model already had the battery heater.

I asked my dealer last week about the specs and all he could (or would) say was LED lights and UVO. I asked about the heat pump but he didn't know.

He was still confident that they would arrive late March which would mean that it should popup on Eukor any day now.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

Full price for me, as of last week, was €37,500. What does the battery heater do :) waiting confirmation on when it could be delivered

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭eagerv

Are they including the 10.25" info screen now like the Kona? to justify their big hike:)

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Ballylad

championc wrote: »
    Hmmmm, interesting

I think the 2000 increase was largely following the UK 1500 increase, but the Irish model already had the battery heater.

I asked my dealer last week about the specs and all he could (or would) say was LED lights and UVO. I asked about the heat pump but he didn't know.

He was still confident that they would arrive late March which would mean that it should popup on Eukor any day now.

Thanks for info, what list price were you quoted for yours

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭jspuds

Has anyone had the first service and if so how much did it cost?
    Also any quotes for the 3 year service plan, my dealer said it should be available sometime this year and can be purchased up to 11 months after vehicle purchase?

• Advertisement

What does the battery heater do :) waiting confirmation on when it could be delivered

A cold battery during wintertime severely decreases the range
    eagerv wrote: »
    Are they including the 10.25" info screen now like the Kona? to justify their big hike:)

Sorry, yes, the 10.25" screen is included. It's standard now for all
    Ballylad wrote: »
    Thanks for info, what list price were you quoted for yours

I ordered in Oct / Nov at a time when the dealers were somewhat denying all knowledge / being evasive of the SE, so the quote was for the FE with a comment of "the price may go up by €2k if the comes along, but it's not expected until summer 2020" or something like that. I think they didn't want to be left with FE's. And maybe the led people to believe it would be €2k so that loads wouldn't jump ship and look for SE's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

Full price for me, as of last week, was €37,500. What does the battery heater do :) waiting confirmation on when it could be delivered

Is that for the 64kWh? If it is - great price. When I got the eSoul they had it the eNiro for €41000

• Registered Users Posts: 12,111 ✭✭✭✭KCross

What does the battery heater do :)

A cold battery during wintertime severely decreases the range

I wonder how useful that battery heater is in reality in this country.

The Leaf has an optional battery heater too but its only used in really cold climates like Nordic region. The heater kicks in to protect the battery and bring it up to -10°C so not exactly useful in Ireland.

Has anyone confirmed how useful the Niro battery heater is or under what conditions it fires? If its only used in sub zero temps its not going to matter much here. Given a choice I'd rather the heat pump than the battery heater, I think.

If it behaves like a Tesla and actively heats the battery to, say 30°C, so that you get faster rapid charging then thats good/useful but I doubt it does that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

KCross wrote: »
    I wonder how useful that battery heater is in reality in this country.

The Leaf has an optional battery heater too but its only used in really cold climates like Nordic region. The heater kicks in to protect the battery and bring it up to -10°C so not exactly useful in Ireland.

Has anyone confirmed how useful the Niro battery heater is or under what conditions it fires? If its only used in sub zero temps its not going to matter much here. Given a choice I'd rather the heat pump than the battery heater, I think.

If it behaves like a Tesla and actively heats the battery to, say 30°C, so that you get faster rapid charging then thats good/useful but I doubt it does that.

I've experimented with the winter mode in the little cold weather we've had this winter. As the temperature never really strayed into minus figures, the heater did nothing. I never saw any action on the consumption screen that indicated that any energy was used to heat the battery. It might have been too mild this winter.

The highest temperature I saw the battery at in winter was 25.8C. That was after a longish rapid charge on a long run. Otherwise it sits around 15C on a long, mainly motorway run.

Battery heater or heat pump? All day long it would be the heat pump.

peposhi wrote: »
    Is that for the 64kWh? If it is - great price. When I got the eSoul they had it the eNiro for €41000

Yes indeed, the 64kWh (aka Long Range model). I don't believe they're selling any other variation presently. I must check with them on the SE edition but if it were late this year I personally wouldn't hold out for it.

• Advertisement

Yes indeed, the 64kWh (aka Long Range model). I don't believe they're selling any other variation presently. I must check with them on the SE edition but if it were late this year I personally wouldn't hold out for it.

Argh, wait, is this the upgraded one https://www.kia.com/uk/new-cars/e-niro/. Now I'm hoping it's not available for ages so I don't feel compelled to ignore the first edition

The next batch will be Second Edition's. This is the batch due at the end of March / early April.

SE's finally arrived in the UK last week. Although the Irish cars have nothing to do with the UK ones, they all come off the same production line.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Got a reply on the last tweet they posted showing the eNiro "calm after the storm"

Apparently they planning on releasing info in April.

I wonder if the car will be in our hands by then.

Maybe they are waiting for them to land before announcing?

They making a big song and dance about the 2021 Sorento already, must have plenty ordered for Ireland.

If I didn't know better, I'd nearly say that they are almost looking at scrapping it from the Irish market. They are doing Zero to push sales. It could be said too that they're doing very little too regarding e-Souls as well.

Has anyone (or heard of anyone) placed an order for an e-Niro since Christmas ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

If I didn't know better, I'd nearly say that they are almost looking at scrapping it from the Irish market. They are doing Zero to push sales. It could be said too that they're doing very little too regarding e-Souls as well.

I have, but that was for the March/April shipment. Perhaps they just want to fix their supply issues before wasting anyone's time with ordering products they can't supply(or predict when they can supply it). I guess that when demand greatly outstrips supply, it makes more sense to sell units where margins are greater (less customisation for that target market, lower transportation costs). At the same time, at Christmas you couldn't click on the E-Niro page on the Kia.ie website. Now you can st least get a specification (even if it is the older spec). They are definitely missing out on a substantial amount of sales and the head of Kia in Ireland is likely very frustrated (as would be the Kia dealerships and salespeople who are missing out on commissions for cars that sell themselves).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Old diesel

72 registered in January.

That's actually more then for example the Model 3 which is much hyped.

Let's see what February brings.

The Ioniq was in this "limbo" before and came through it.

And THAT is now an inferior proposition in the new 38.

Old diesel wrote: »
    72 registered in January.

That's actually more then for example the Model 3 which is much hyped.

Let's see what February brings.

February will be Zero on the basis that there have been no deliveries. March also looking like Zero too.

February will be Zero on the basis that there have been no deliveries. March also looking like Zero too.

You mean the relevant boats for the eNiro havent come in?????

I have, but that was for the March/April shipment. Perhaps they just want to fix their supply issues before wasting anyone's time with ordering products they can't supply(or predict when they can supply it). I guess that when demand greatly outstrips supply, it makes more sense to sell units where margins are greater (less customisation for that target market, lower transportation costs). At the same time, at Christmas you couldn't click on the E-Niro page on the Kia.ie website. Now you can st least get a specification (even if it is the older spec). They are definitely missing out on a substantial amount of sales and the head of Kia in Ireland is likely very frustrated (as would be the Kia dealerships and salespeople who are missing out on commissions for cars that sell themselves).

They can't plan any orders for more if they don't take any orders surely. So I'm beginning to think that the March / April shipment will be the last with e-Niro's for a considerable amount of time.

It can't be anything to do with supply given the numbers still being shipped to the UK. It can't be anything to do with shipping to Ireland because the ships will continue to arrive with Sportages, Stonics, Ceeds ......

You mean the relevant boats for the eNiro havent come in?????

We can't find any boats that are planned to arrive in Ireland from Korea at all since the one in December from eurkor.

End of March is still being quoted by the dealers

Edit: is there trade import quotas on cars from Korea to the eu? UK is still in the trade block/quota/etc at least until the end of the year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 vidukasp

I did it in January. Delivery July.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

They can't plan any orders for more if they don't take any orders surely. So I'm beginning to think that the March / April shipment will be the last with e-Niro's for a considerable amount of time.
    Dealerships don't seem to order e-Niros based on customer orders. Seems more like dealership allocations - which is understandable given the demand. My order (if it is fulfilled), was already part of the March/April shipment. They haven't loaded one up on the boat for me.
    championc wrote:
    It can't be anything to do with supply given the numbers still being shipped to the UK. It can't be anything to do with shipping to Ireland because the ships will continue to arrive with Sportages, Stonics, Ceeds ......
    If they can sell all of their stock of cars in the UK market and it costs extra to transport some models (with our own specific customisations) to a substantially smaller market in Ireland, why would you do so? You can only join a reservation list for the e-Niro in the UK. I agree with you in terms of not pushing sales, but I suspect that it is because they cannot manufacture them fast enough to service all of their available markets, so in their situation, I would focus on higher margin markets (lower labour to produce the product (less customization), and lower overheads (transportation etc.). These are assumptions on my part, but I just don't see why you would scrap a market with a high level of demand, unless you simply cannot produce enough product to service that market.

Dealerships don't seem to order e-Niros based on customer orders. Seems more like dealership allocations - which is understandable given the demand. My order (if it is fulfilled), was already part of the March/April shipment. They haven't loaded one up on the boat for me.

If they can sell all of their stock of cars in the UK market and it costs extra to transport some models (with our own specific customisations) to a substantially smaller market in Ireland, why would you do so? You can only join a reservation list for the e-Niro in the UK. I agree with you in terms of not pushing sales, but I suspect that it is because they cannot manufacture them fast enough to service all of their available markets, so in their situation, I would focus on higher margin markets (lower labour to produce the product (less customization), and lower overheads (transportation etc.). These are assumptions on my part, but I just don't see why you would scrap a market with a high level of demand, unless you simply cannot produce enough product to service that market.

It certainly appeared previously that it was all about allocations per dealership. But that's what I'm saying - they're not making any available to the dealers to sell, nor are they giving customers the ability to see anything about the model on individual dealers' websites (on their section of the kia.com/ie/ website)

Cars from Ireland do NOT come from the UK. The ships come direct from Pyongtaek and Ireland is the first port of call in Europe. So as I said, they have a boat coming with a load of cars, so their no more difficult to get here than the Sportages, Stonics or Ceeds. So I absolutely agree with you - "I just don't see why you would scrap a market with a high level of demand"

And how do you know "They haven't loaded one up on the boat for me." ? Have you been told this 100% ? If so, when are they quoting for yours ?

It certainly appeared previously that it was all about allocations per dealership. But that's what I'm saying - they're not making any available to the dealers to sell, nor are they giving customers the ability to see anything about the model on individual dealers' websites (on their section of the kia.com/ie/ website)

Cars from Ireland do NOT come from the UK. The ships come direct from Pyongtaek and Ireland is the first port of call in Europe. So as I said, they have a boat coming with a load of cars, so their no more difficult to get here than the Sportages, Stonics or Ceeds. So I absolutely agree with you - "I just don't see why you would scrap a market with a high level of demand"

And how do you know "They haven't loaded one up on the boat for me." ? Have you been told this 100% ? If so, when are they quoting for yours ?

If I'm reading Crustys posts correctly - he or she ordered the car (with a March/April delivery) too late for it to be built for them especially. (Say it was ordered in January for March delivery).

Car was already allocated for Ireland before Krusty ordered most likely.

Probably already built too.

It's a headscratcher by Kia as theyve got the basis for the best all round package on the EV market for normal users.

Some of this must be Kia Ireland as Head office seem to be on record as wanting to get more EVs out the door due to avoiding EU fines on c02 across the vehicle fleet (new cars).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭JohnC.

If I'm reading Crustys posts correctly - he or she ordered the car (with a March/April delivery) too late for it to be built for them especially. (Say it was ordered in January for March delivery).

I didn't get the impression from dealers that any are built for customers. The dealers get what they're given and customers can take or leave whatever colours they get. One dealer in particular told me he had one coming the following week, with four people wanting to take it, and whoever gives him the money first gets it. With maybe 500km extra on the clock because he was going to let other people test drive it too.

On the "not giving the customer the ability to see the car online".

eNiro is there.

I found it via a dealers normal site (Nyhans of Brandon) under new cars.

Their eNiro link took me straight into eNiro page on Kias Irish site.

One issue that Niro is being facelifted - hence all the 2nd edition talk. The PHEV is already out as facelift.

But I don't think the BEV is out as a facelift yet - so that changeover is possibly messing things up.

JohnC. wrote: »
    I didn't get the impression from dealers that any are built for customers. The dealers get what they're given and customers can take or leave whatever colours they get. One dealer in particular told me he had one coming the following week, with four people wanting to take it, and whoever gives him the money first gets it. With maybe 500km extra on the clock because he was going to let other people test drive it too.

That's what I was led to believe too, but yet my dealer confirmed that everyone for January cars got their first colour choices. So I'm absolutely convinced that they are made to order. The only spares would be any cancelled orders, which were cancelled too late.

On the "not giving the customer the ability to see the car online".

eNiro is there.

I found it via a dealers normal site (Nyhans of Brandon) under new cars.

Their eNiro link took me straight into eNiro page on Kias Irish site.

But go to the dealers site - https://www.kia.com/ie/dealer/nyhanmotors/ - it's not clickable
    One issue that Niro is being facelifted - hence all the 2nd edition talk. The PHEV is already out as facelift.

But I don't think the BEV is out as a facelift yet - so that changeover is possibly messing things up.

The MY20 arrived in the UK last Tuesday week (11th Feb). They've been rolling off the production lines since mid December.

I think the Irish and Korean sites are the only ones to still feature MY19 photos. All of the other European sites have been updated.

So it onlyt seems that Ireland is not interested in selling the e-Niros .... for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭JohnC.

There are a few other European sites still showing the old model.

• Advertisement

Regarding the Kia end of the dealer website, if you go to the new cars bit it's not clickable, but if you go to the "explore range" then down to the e Niro it is.

But it shows 192 range sold out, with a link to bring you to the main Kia e Niro page that hasn't changed. so instead of updating the main page it they just disabled the link.

Advertisement