Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

championc wrote: »
    And how do you know "They haven't loaded one up on the boat for me." ? Have you been told this 100% ? If so, when are they quoting for yours ?
    As others have said, I ordered in January for the March/April shipment, while other dealerships were selling orders for July+. Bought 'as it rolls off the boat', with no choice of colours.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

That's what I was led to believe too, but yet my dealer confirmed that everyone for January cars got their first colour choices. So I'm absolutely convinced that they are made to order. The only spares would be any cancelled orders, which were cancelled too late.

We were told around late November that we wouldn't get the colour we wanted, despite being number 2 on the dealers reservation list. We ended up getting a full refund of the non refundable deposit and wifey is now planning on getting an El-Born instead.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

liamog wrote: »
    We were told around late November that we wouldn't get the colour we wanted, despite being number 2 on the dealers reservation list. We ended up getting a full refund of the non refundable deposit and wifey is now planning on getting an El-Born instead.

What colour were you looking for and was it for the March delivery or January one?

And what colour were you offered?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

graememk wrote: »
    What colour were you looking for and was it for the March delivery or January one?

And what colour were you offered?

It was January, we were looking for the dark grey got offered the red instead. Our dealer was only given 1 grey and #1 on the list wanted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭championc

First video of the MY20 dashboard :) (not mine unfortunately)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I notice the new dash is missing the SD slot in the middle of the radio/screen buttons where it is in the old one. Is that hidden somewhere else or do they just do the maps or whatever OTA now?

JohnC. wrote: »
    I notice the new dash is missing the SD slot in the middle of the radio/screen buttons where it is in the old one. Is that hidden somewhere else or do they just do the maps or whatever OTA now?
    I presume that USB slot just underneath the wireless phone charging shelf would serve the purpose of taking a map update, if they implemented the software to do so. Does the e-Niro have an on-board SIM card/mobile services, or can it leverage the mobile device connected via USB/Airplay/Android Auto?

Anyone hear anything from their dealerships about the March/April delivery?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Any improvements to range in this model or is it just spec improvements?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Does the e-Niro have an on-board SIM card/mobile services, or can it leverage the mobile device connected via USB/Airplay/Android Auto?

For the current model, it says a smartphone with data plan is required for the live features on the screen, like charging stations, traffic, etc.

The new model must have a SIM for the forthcoming app features to work, I'd assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I presume that USB slot just underneath the wireless phone charging shelf would serve the purpose of taking a map update, if they implemented the software to do so. Does the e-Niro have an on-board SIM card/mobile services, or can it leverage the mobile device connected via USB/Airplay/Android Auto?
    I have the 2020 Niro PHEV that has the same head unit and there doesn't seem to be an SD card slot either. I'm guessing also that map updates are done via the USB slot. On various Kia fora some people have uploaded PDF's of the map update procedures for Kia head units that dealers use but none of these have been updated for the so-called GEN5W unit yet, so can't be certain.

You can set up a connection between the head unit and any WiFi network, including one that's being broadcast by your mobile phone in hotspot mode. I have mine set up to auto-start when it detects it's connected by Bluetooth using a 3rd party app. There is an app from Kia that claims to do that but it doesn't work reliably, if at all, for newer Android versions.

Kia Live works via this connection, but on my car at least, there's no sign of the much promised Uvo Connect.

Map updates are usually quite large though, several GB, so I wouldn't think it would be that practical to download them OTA.

• Advertisement

dmcg90 wrote: »
    Any improvements to range in this model or is it just spec improvements?
    Very minor updates. Same claimed 450km range, new LED headlights, updated 10" head unit. And upgraded pricing. :rolleyes:

Anyone hear anything from their dealerships about the March/April delivery?

I asked last week and was told that he still expects for the end of March. Shipping is around 4 to 5 weeks. There's no sign of anything scheduled on the Eukor site. It's possible that something may have been scheduled through Glovis since they have a ship or two most days along the dock at Pyeongtaek.

It's bizarre in the extreme that they could potentially be on-route but yet we have no confirmation of specs apart from LED Lights, UVO, and the new headunit (as told to me by the dealer). And No, I don't know if UVO includes a free Sim in the car (like in the UK)

Has anyone monitoring this forum tried to order an e-Niro, but been told they can't order one .... yet ?

I still find it very strange that the spec online hadn't been updated, and you cannot click on the e-Niro on any of the dealer websites within the Kia Ireland website.

But maybe there no more demand .....

Has anyone monitoring this forum tried to order an e-Niro, but been told they can't order one .... yet ?

I still find it very strange that the spec online hadn't been updated, and you cannot click on the e-Niro on any of the dealer websites within the Kia Ireland website.

But maybe there no more demand .....
    This doesn't answer your question, but there are two comments associated with the above Youtube video that are interesting (from the UK market). One poster in the comments section placed his order in April 2019, and doesn't know when his order will be fulfilled. The poster of the video ordered in February 2019, and is picking up his 2020 model today. A 13 month waiting list for a somewhat over-priced, undisclosed spec mid-class EV seems absolutely nuts. I'll be honest, I'm really looking forward to the car, but had I been told about a 6-12 month waiting list, I'd have gone for something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

This doesn't answer your question, but there are two comments associated with the above Youtube video that are interesting (from the UK market). One poster in the comments section placed his order in April 2019, and doesn't know when his order will be fulfilled. The poster of the video ordered in February 2019, and is picking up his 2020 model today. A 13 month waiting list for a somewhat over-priced, undisclosed spec mid-class EV seems absolutely nuts. I'll be honest, I'm really looking forward to the car, but had I been told about a 6-12 month waiting list, I'd have gone for something else.

Back in time (1978) my dad had to wait 6 years to get the Lada 1300 model he’d ordered. From this perspective 6-12months does not look like a long time to wait :)

peposhi wrote: »
    Back in time (1978) my dad had to wait 6 years to get the Lada 1300 model he’d ordered. From this perspective 6-12months does not look like a long time to wait :)
    Haha - true enough! But if he could've bought a functionality equivalent cars immediately for almost 1/2 the price, do you think he would still have waited?

We will all have our reasons for buying specific cars.

There are some brands which I simply do not like, and wouldn't even look at them, even if the spec was superior and the price less.

There are even some colours of car which I would absolutely never buy, even though you can't really see the paint outside while sitting in the drivers seat

• Registered Users Posts: 65,226 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Haha - true enough! But if he could've bought a functionality equivalent cars immediately for almost 1/2 the price, do you think he would still have waited?

It was the only car you could buy :D

And peposhi's dad was lucky. In some other eastern bloc countries the waiting list was easily over a decade. Even worse than ordering a telephone line in 80s communist Ireland :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

On paper the Niro is the more attractive proposition, but I'm just undersold on the looks, I think the Kona is nicer looking car. Does the Kona have similar wait times?

Kona supply is likely to increase now that they've started manufacturing in Czechia.

The Kona is a much smaller car in the rear than the Niro so just be aware of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

Aye, like I say the Niro makes more sense. On paper ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

the corpo wrote: »
    On paper the Niro is the more attractive proposition, but I'm just undersold on the looks, I think the Kona is nicer looking car. Does the Kona have similar wait times?

The Kona seems to be missing some important spec items that the Niro has as standard, like adaptive cruise control, auto emergency braking, auto regen... and possibly more that I can't think at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

the corpo wrote: »

The Kona is more readily available from what I've seen at dealers. You should easily be able to get one with no wait time.

Its a great car, very efficient & serious fun to drive - very powerful for its size & has the same drive train as the e-Niro (same sort of power delivery, battery capacity, motor power etc..).

I've owned a Kona Electric for 13 months & its the best car I've owned & driven (but it depends on what car you're used to or coming from - I had older less sophisticated cars with low specs before getting the Kona etc..).

In my opinion if you can afford the Kona (yes I agree its over priced & under specd for the money) & its rear seating / boot space work for you, then go for it.

Its cheap as chips to run (I use night rate with Energia, charging at home), tax (€120 PA as with all full BEVs), service (First service cost me €75 at main dealer) etc..

However (even though I own a Kona & love it) - if you are not in a hurry & can wait. I'd recommend the e-Niro over the Kona. More room in the rear, bigger boot & higher spec for similar price & better warranty (well 7 vs 5 years depending on mileage etc..).

I initially was interested in getting an e-Niro but it wasn't available in the timeframe that I had to get rid of an older car causing me issues & I couldn't wait (or afford alternative evs with same range) so got the Kona.

Just my 2 cents - hope it might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Stefs_42

Got in touch with Edward Conway Motors yesterday about E-Niro SE, dealer said that first one arriving early April but is already sold!:eek: However he said I might take a look at it. Would be very interesting to see if they added heat pump or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Tesla3

The Kona seems to be missing some important spec items that the Niro has as standard, like adaptive cruise control, auto emergency braking, auto regen... and possibly more that I can't think at the moment.

Agreed but yet the Nero lacks lumbar support! I hate paddy spec

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Tesla3 wrote: »
    Agreed but yet the Nero lacks lumbar support! I hate paddy spec

Don't get caught up on the lack of lumbar support adjustment. The Niro has fixed lumbar support. It took me a while to get the seat/steering adjustments just right, but now I do very long journeys with no back pain.

I've had two major lumbar spine operations and have metalwork in there to get comfortable as well. :P

Stefs_42 wrote: »
    Got in touch with Edward Conway Motors yesterday about E-Niro SE, dealer said that first one arriving early April but is already sold!:eek: However he said I might take a look at it. Would be very interesting to see if they added heat pump or not.
    Did they give an indication then for a July delivery then for the next ones?

The uvo app is available in the UK now (you can install it if you have a uk based Google play account, not that it's any good unless you have the car, but it means all they have to do is click the box to make it available in Ireland.

Doesn't look likely that I'll get mine by the end of March, will have to buy another 3 months of tax!

graememk wrote: »
    The uvo app is available in the UK now (you can install it if you have a uk based Google play account)

https://apkpure.com/kia-uvo-europe/com.kia.uvo.eu

• Advertisement

I just downloaded it, stuck it into Dropbox, went to download it from there and it automatically prompted me to install it.

It installed perfectly and then allowed me to create an account. It required my mobile number for two factor authentication, and happily accepted Ireland and my mobile number

Advertisement