Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graduate Opportunities in Local Government 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Quiet few days on Boards.

Anyone extra have any luck?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 mj88g

Jimbob1977 wrote: »

Nope, and was hoping for good news before the long weekend just to kick things off. All we can do now is live in hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Daisy89

I got my offer today! Thankful that the wait is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Nyx122

Anyone have any info in terms of start date? Was told they want us to get in ASAP but obviously depends on individual circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Just_Jake

Hi guys,

Congrats on making it this far. I placed 43 in the oom for eastern and 30 for boarder. I got a call wedenesday to ask if I was still interested in economic enterprise and business development for Laois. So I have all the vetting sent off now. Just wondering does anyone know if there’s more interviews/other stages to go through or is the deal sealed now so to speak? Heading on holidays for 2 weeks so would hope there’s not another interview stage while I’m away. Hope you’re all enjoying the sunny weather

• Advertisement

Just_Jake wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Congrats on making it this far. I placed 43 in the oom for eastern and 30 for boarder. I got a call wedenesday to ask if I was still interested in economic enterprise and business development for Laois. So I have all the vetting sent off now. Just wondering does anyone know if there’s more interviews/other stages to go through or is the deal sealed now so to speak? Heading on holidays for 2 weeks so would hope there’s not another interview stage while I’m away. Hope you’re all enjoying the sunny weather

There won't be another interview. It's just the Start Date now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Phoebeleft

I still haven't heard anything. I imagine pas will be in touch one way or the other eventually. It's a bit disappointing after such a long process to not be offered a position. :(
    Congratulations to all of you who've landed a post. Well done

That’s great I can celebrate so :)hopefully the start date is soon. :)

Phoebeleft wrote: »
    I still haven't heard anything. I imagine pas will be in touch one way or the other eventually. It's a bit disappointing after such a long process to not be offered a position. :(
    Congratulations to all of you who've landed a post. Well done

Wouldn’t lose hope yet I have a friend that was o. The panel for civil service since 2016 only in th last few months she got a position with the dept of justice. I think this local government panel stands for two years if I’m right. Positions will come up people will turn down places or may have found other jobs stay positive. :)

Wouldn’t lose hope yet I have a friend that was o. The panel for civil service since 2016 only in th last few months she got a position with the dept of justice. I think this local government panel stands for two years if I’m right. Positions will come up people will turn down places or may have found other jobs stay positive. :)

Thanks but you know I think it may be different in this case as its a 3year programme I believe they want everyone to start at the same time for training etc. I imagine they want to fill all the positions now and then dissolve the panel. I would be happy to hear if anybody knows different? Still want to hold on to that bit of hope ;)

• Advertisement

There won't be another interview. It's just the Start Date now :)

That’s great Jim Bob but out of curiosity how do you know for sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Sharon2017

I was advised by PAS that the last interview was the final assessment stage.

Still waiting on an offer here. Hoping I'll have some luck. I was advised during the week when I enquired how many jobs there were and the man I spoke to in clearance dept said 'loads'. When I asked him to elaborate on this he gave me my overall OOM and said they were planning to hire 'more than that' and when I pressed again for a ballpark figure he re-iterated the figure of 'around' 150 or possibly more.

Also, it is my understanding that everyone should be starting together if possible, so it won't be one of those panels that will remain open for 2 years. I was told this directly by someone on the campaign back in the day.

Though I must mention that the guy in clearance contradicted this during the week when I said 'everyone's starting together aren't they' he responded with 'why would you think that?'. I went on to tell him I was told that and he said 'well I've not been told that'. Although this conversation would cast some doubt over the everyone starting together theory, I'd be more inclined to go with what the point of contact for the campaign said. This bloke likely does clearance for many campaigns and was going with what he considered the norm.

So in summary, I haven't been too optimistic with a not very low OOM, but if I'm going on the hiring around 150 information I feel like I could still have a chance having passed 2 skill areas and having selected 10 potential councils in 2 regions. I hope they get things moving a bit more next week (bloke also told me they're 'hoping' to let all successful candidates know by the end of next week but hes not sure because theres so few of them making the calls and loads of people to call).

I hope this info helps somewhat :)

Sharon2017 wrote: »
    I was advised by PAS that the last interview was the final assessment stage.

Still waiting on an offer here. Hoping I'll have some luck. I was advised during the week when I enquired how many jobs there were and he said 'loads'. When I asked him to elaborate on this he gave me my overall OOM and said they were planning to hire 'more than that' and when I pressed again for a ballpark figure he re-iterated the figure of 'around' 150 or possibly more.

Also, it is my understanding that everyone should be starting together if possible, so it won't be one of those panels that will remain open for 2 years. I was told this directly by someone on the campaign back in the day.

Though I must mention that the guy in clearance contradicted this during the week when I said 'everyone's starting together aren't they' he responded with 'why would you think that?'. I went on to tell him I was told that and he said 'well I've not been told that'. Although this conversation would cast some doubt over the everyone starting together theory, I'd be more inclined to go with what the point of contact for the campaign said. This bloke likely does clearance for many campaigns and was going with what he considered the norm.

So in summary, I haven't been too optimistic with a not very low OOM, but if I'm going on the hiring around 150 information I feel like I could still have a chance having passed 2 skill areas and having selected 10 potential councils in 2 regions. I hope they get things moving a bit more next week (bloke also told me they're 'hoping' to let all successful candidates know by the end of next week but hes not sure because theres so few of them making the calls and loads of people to call).

I hope this info helps somewhat :)

That’s great info thanks. I was just wondering as I didn’t want to count my chickens before they hatched. But looks like I’m in the clear thanks. :) I hope you get the call too.

They are contacting professional references.... and the Garda Vetting is underway.

I think others have been told verbally over the phone that all stages are now complete

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭bubsicle

I was high 50s for western and got call today. I am still on probation in civil service. Not due to finish it until Sept. Anyone have any clue what my chances of getting secondment would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 mj88g

They are still making calls, 50th in the south and got 3rd preference.

Hope the vetting etc. will be done soon. More waiting & I’m itching to hand in my notice!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Daisy89

Nyx122 wrote: »
    Hope the vetting etc. will be done soon. More waiting & I’m itching to hand in my notice!!

I’m the same, I can’t settle here now knowing I’ll be going!

mj88g wrote: »
    They are still making calls, 50th in the south and got 3rd preference.

I too have been offered a role in the South. Cork County Council. Awaiting documents.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 9Reeds

Sharon2017 wrote:
    I too have been offered a role in the South. Cork County Council. Awaiting documents.

Can I ask what number you were? I'm 72 in the south and still hoping.

• Advertisement

9Reeds wrote: »
    Can I ask what number you were? I'm 72 in the south and still hoping.

PMd you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭tgdaly

Any late numbers in the East getting called?

Just got call this morning for my first preference location in southern region :) totally delighted

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭bubsicle

Anyone know what the chances are of being kept on after the 3 years.
    I have no chance of secondment so would be leaving EO role for a 3 year job. But in a field I would love. And did my masters on.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭redmosquito85

Has anyone any experience in how long the vetting process takes? Submitted the printed out first portion and received my link yesterday to complete online information (all addresses etc.). What would be the general wait for this process to be looked at and cleared, are we talking a few days or couple of weeks?

Has anyone any experience in how long the vetting process takes? Submitted the printed out first portion and received my link yesterday to complete online information (all addresses etc.). What would be the general wait for this process to be looked at and cleared, are we talking a few days or couple of weeks?

Anything I’ve tried to look up say e vetting takes about 5 days so hoping this is the case

• Registered Users Posts: 2 maxwell6826

Congrats to all whom have been successful!

Im a little sceptical of receiving any offers at this late stage, but if any successful canditates from the Southern region wouldnt mind letting me know their OOM, i would be really grateful as it would help put my mind at rest!

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Inspiron32

Congrats to all whom have been successful!

Im a little sceptical of receiving any offers at this late stage, but if any successful canditates from the Southern region wouldnt mind letting me know their OOM, i would be really grateful as it would help put my mind at rest!

Thanks in advance!

I was in the mid-50s and was offered a position in the southern region yesterday. Hope that helps and best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Bella1978

I'm late 60s in Southern just got the call.
    Not sure if i'm taking it, just got called for something else too - typical!

• Advertisement

For people already in employment, the question is when to give notice?

When the offer is made (immediately now), when all the checks and getting have been done... or from when the contract is delivered?

They might want you to start on say, 30th May, but a contract might only arrive on 20th May.

What are people thinking?

Advertisement