Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graduate Opportunities in Local Government 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 lukiluc

Thanks for posting Sharon. End of May sounds quite far away but it will fly...

• Registered Users Posts: 28 corvettenut

I presume it's fair to say that most LA's will draw at least one or two of the skill areas. I'm southern region but for family reasons I'm limited to two LA's. I'm inside the top 5 OOM and delighted, however, I'll be sweating bullets until the call comes!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 MazElmo

I came to ask all these questions, so thanks! Congratulations and commiserations. Why do ye think the start date is the end of May? I'm 40 Southern and 49 Border/Western and I have no idea what that means. Any idea what happens if you're offered one before the other? I'd prefer Southern

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Ferney

Has anybody heard how the people who were successful for the 2014 campaign got on/are getting on? I think it was a two year contract. I would be very interested to hear how they fared and what are the prospects like for achieving permanency?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 lukiluc

Ferney wrote: »
    Has anybody heard how the people who were successful for the 2014 campaign got on/are getting on?

I asked that question at interview. They said you can apply for jobs in the local authority or elsewhere whilst under contract. And that all the 10 individuals assigned to their local authority went on to other jobs either in that local authority or outside within the 2 year duration of contract or perhaps slightly after...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 mj88g

Any one hear anything yet? God they take so long to get these things sorted 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭tgdaly

mj88g wrote: »
    Any one hear anything yet? God they take so long to get these things sorted 😂

No nothing yet, I'd expect we should get that message this week about how we did in the skill areas

No I've heard nothing either. I rang them on Monday and they said they "will be in touch soon". It's been a long while so hopefully they'll finalise everything this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

If we get the results of the skills areas, will there be another wait until tangible jobs are assigned?

I'm thinking about people who need to give a month's notice to their current employer and the reference-checking process.

Is a late May commencement date still on the cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 9Reeds

Don't we also have to get garda vetting sorted if we are lucky enough to be picked? How long does that take? I was vetted for my last job but the company did that I didn't have to arrange anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭redmosquito85

Skills areas email just in

Skills result email just says Pass, Fail or N/A.

I was expecting percentages or what skill you were being offered a job for.

Any ideas what's next?

Ok.... Got some nuggets.

o Expect first contact about available jobs to be made next week. Working down from the top of Order of Merit.

o Still aiming for late May start, but that is not 100% concrete.

For some reason I thought the results from the skill areas would be more in depth, giving an indication of which you'd be most likely to be offered a job in. I don't see why they couldn't give these results out when they told us about passing the interview, surely they would have had these results to hand as well

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Ok.... Got some nuggets.

o Expect first contact about available jobs to be made next week. Working down from the top of Order of Merit.

o Still aiming for late May start, but that is not 100% concrete.

Hopefully they do start contacting people next week. Do people wreckon this will move slowly or will they work through the list quick enough? I'd imagine if they are working from the top, they would message or call the first choice people, wait and for a response, and then continue working through the list until all positions are filled? I'd be concerned this could take a while if they are waiting for responses and delay the thing

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Phoebeleft

tgdaly wrote: »
    Hopefully they do start contacting people next week. Do people wreckon this will move slowly or will they work through the list quick enough? I'd imagine if they are working from the top, they would message or call the first choice people, wait and for a response, and then continue working through the list until all positions are filled? I'd be concerned this could take a while if they are waiting for responses and delay the thing
    If they want a late May start date they would have to let successful candidates know asap. I'd need to give a months notice in my current job. But everything has moved so slowly so far I imagine start date may be pushed out further.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Allatsea

I've been told that will start to get in contact with the highest rated OOM candidates first, next week. They also expect to give offers to people as late as the end of the week after next (Fri 4th May). They do expect their to be duplite candidates (candidates with preferences in 2 regions), which will help those with with lower OOM; however it will depend on the skill that each candidate passed, linking with an available position in an Authority that the candidate selected in the preferrence list. I'd imagine that if you listed under 40 in the Eastern & Midlands region and under 20 in the other 2 (Borders/Southern), you can expect a call early enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭redmosquito85

Does anyone know will you hold a panel position for x number of years if you do not get offered a job on the first go around? My OOM will probably be outside a job offer for my region, (assuming there are a number of jobs available and the candidates above me accept them), but I'm not sure if a panel is retained when, from what I believe, all successful candidates start at the same time for induction.
    It would be disappointing to get this far and pass your skills areas only for it to shut down once the initial jobs are filled and induction done for successful candidates.

Any word for anyone yet today?

A watched phone never rings :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Phoebeleft

Any word for anyone yet today?

A watched phone never rings :)

My phone ain't ringing either! I'm compulsively checking my email - I don't know if I'd want this job so much if it didn't feel like some long epic quest to get this far ;)

• Advertisement

Nothing yet, I'm literally waiting with baited breath!Think I'll ring them tomorrow because I need to know when they are going to start offering jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ver2

Best of luck, hope you hear soon. Not feeling too confident as in mid 30s (OOM) for Southern. Just wish they would give the cut offs for each region!

So Was talking to a man in the know and he says 3-4 positions per council, obvs slightly higher numbers in the bigger councils i.e cork and Dublin.

I'm ranked 50th in southern region. All of a sudden not too confident

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ver2

Thanks for info.
    God, was hoping it was more. I guess it also depends on your skill set and if that is needed. Either way would just like to know now.

TheVoodoo wrote: »
    13th in order of merit. Lucky 13 it seems!

Ranked 13, surely after getting a position by now? :)

Not feeling too confident myself now the more I think of it. I'm ranked 95 in the eastern region, based on information above I'd reckon 50-60 jobs available in that region (even allowing extra few for Dublin). Will definitely need a bit of luck. At least I've the 4 Dublin councils as my first 4 options so might help me a bit, but I'll definitely be needing a good few people above to not take job / picked different countries or regions as higher preference. Also need my skill areas to be required so I'd say I've less than 50% at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ElaineScottt

mj88g wrote: »
    Ranked 13, surely after getting a position by now? :)

I placed in the top 10 in the OOM and no word yet! Fingers crossed we will start hearing soon!🀞ðŸ»

I placed in the top 10 in the OOM and no word yet! Fingers crossed we will start hearing soon!��ðŸ»

Like you Elaine, I'm inside the top 10, and we can expect a call this evening or tomorrow. Most LA's are taking on 5ish depending on the levels of engagement within those specific LA's. Big question is start date, as I have the family hols to the continent booked for early June :eek::D

Is the next contact about jobs coming from PAS or the Local Authority itself?

It might start to get complicated when a candidate accepts a Local Council job and then frees up his/her other counties.

Kinda like our proportional representation electoral system :) People jumping up and down the lists.

• Advertisement

As far as I could gather from my last conversation, PAS make the formal offer, once accepted the file is passed to the LA for all subsequent steps. I'm in the public sector and was advised that secondment request would be made by local LA HR.

Thankfully I am high enough that I should get an early offer, but I imagine depending on the complexity of an individuals' regions/local preferences; it could get fairly head spinning.

Advertisement